Chapter 11

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WINE AND CHEESE


 

3 June 2048

 

Sighing deeply to herself, Nako closed the door on a terribly exhausted Chaeyeon while clutching a dinner tray on her waist.

 

“Is Ma still pursuing the case?” A voice crackled from her hologram which was currently connected on a call to her sister, Yena.

 

“Yeah, she just returned home and nearly caused Hitomi to drop her cookie mixture when she slammed the door shut loudly.”

 

“Hm, I thought that she would perhaps change her mind on pursuing the case after that talk. Besides, there’s no way we can possibly win against the higher ups. Especially, if it's them.”

 

‘Same here, Yena. But she seemed so hell bent over trying to prove that Yujin is not Ahn Eugene.’ Nako silently thought as she went to clean up the dishes.

 

Nako’s mind wandered over to the conversation between Chaeyeon and Yena just a few days ago, which she had eavesdropped upon as her older sister began to ramble on about life in the barracks.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

30 May 2048

 

“You are aware that it is pointless to even try and pursue this case, Ma. It’s been five years already.” 

 

A bottle of wine clinked softly against the rim of a wine glass.

 

“I do know that, Yena. But you do agree that Yujin is simply someone that they had used to fill up that missing piece in their sick game of jigsaw puzzle. You aren’t that much older than Yujin but to shove a young teen who yearns for freedom, a huge responsibility all of a sudden. Not just any role but the role of a Crown Princess and first in succession to the throne.”

 

Nako shifted and leaned in closer to the door, trying to hear the conversation more clearly.

 

“Then what about me, Ma? I’ve got responsibilities too and besides, Yujin is nearly an adult. It’s nearly her birthday soon and it’s only fair that you have to give up on pursuing this case. You have to accept the fact that Yujin has been merely lent to us, the Lees. Besides, won’t it be lovely for the clerks to take a break from seeing your face constantly.” Nako heard a slight chuckle before Chaeyeon’s harsh words cut across sharply.

 

“Real funny, Yena. But honestly, it never made any sense. From them assuming that the Crown Princess who had supposedly drowned and had substantial evidence to prove her death to the Royal Family spouting out a bull statement that the DNA of the body buried had been mistakenly classified as the Crown Princess’s identity instead of a baboon’s. A freaking baboon. They might as well classify the DNA as an alien and say that the Crown Princess had been abducted by a royal family of aliens.”

 

Another clink of glasses was heard as Chaeyeon poured more of the crimson liquid into her wine glass.

 

“I beg to differ, Ma. Perhaps, what if they are ‘right’ all along and Yujin is really indeed the Crown Princess. I must emphasise that it’s pointless to do anything at this point. On a brighter note, I do dearly think that Yujin will come back, not as the Crown Princess but as my sister. Your daughter, Ma.”

 

There was a slight pause before Chaeyeon continued on with a weary tone.

 

“Well, what if she never returns?”

 

Another heavy pause followed soon after.

 

“As much as we do miss Yujin, just wait for the day for her to return ‘home’. Even if she does enjoy her life back in the palace, she certainly cherishes the memories back here and will surely return to repay the love and affection you have showered her with. We all grew up alongside her and I’m sure you agree that Yujin is someone who holds onto memories very tightly.”

 

Nako nodded internally, recalling the memories she had forged with Yujin and how she constantly wished to take photos to remind her of the occasion.

 

“Anyways, speaking of ‘home’, when will be the next time you will return?” Chaeyeon said, trying to brush off any prior sombre atmosphere.

 

“Soon. I suppose. I don’t really know to be honest. I have to balance a lot of stuff and besides the sergeant is planning to push me up to a higher place after a few more projects.” Yena huffed and chugged down a few gulps of red wine.

 

“Well, do return home every now and then. Also, have you taken interest in partaking in the blind date?”

 

Yena sputtered unceremoniously before retorting.

 

“I told you, Ma, I’ve got no interest in seeing anyone at the moment. Besides, I can only allocate time for family. How the hell am I supposed to maintain contact with an outsider?” Yena huffed and poured herself another glass.

 

“Woah. Chill. Are you perhaps dating someone at the moment and that’s why you aren’t interested in all these opportunities?” Chaeyeon playfully asked as she wiggled her eyebrows along; her mood a stark contrast to earlier.

 

Nako could see Yena visibly turn a shade darker before keeping mum.

 

“So you do have someone in mind? Who’s the lucky fella? What’s their gender?” Chaeyeon rained a barrage of questions as Yena pursed her lips and continuously chugged down more wine.

 

“Ma. Relax with all these questions. You wouldn’t be pleased with my answer either way but bear with it for my sake.”

 

Chaeyeon’s eyebrows furrowed and there was a pregnant pause before Yena proceeded on.

 

“It’s the Royal Family’s youngest daughter. I don’t know how it happened. It just sort of happened and don’t bother asking why would I even choose her out of all those other people.”

 

There was a heavy silence and Nako took it as a cue for her to move on to bed.

 

However, a question caused Nako to pause in her tracks.

 

“Love does work in strange ways, doesn’t it? I don’t condemn your relationship but your happiness is all that matters to me. Just tell me, are you happy with her?”

 

Without any hesitation, Yena whispered a faint ‘yes’ as Nako slinked away to bed, pleased that her sister had finally found ‘home’ in another person.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

3 June 2048

 

“Nako? Are you still there?” Yena asked, breaking Nako out of her stupor.

 

“Huh. Oh yeah. It’s pretty late and I’ve got ballet classes tomorrow. So perhaps can we talk another time?”

 

Without waiting for Yena to send her ‘goodbyes’, she ended the call abruptly.

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, Yena could only sigh sadly as she came face to face to a call end sign on her hologram.

 

She hoisted herself up to her upper bunk and settled in for the night, figuring that it would be wiser to sleep in and catch a couple of winks before her night shift.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

A sharp alarm rang from someone’s hologram which was shut off promptly by a wandering hand.

 

The owner of the said hologram climbed off her bunk bed and crept her way silently past the rest of her crew mates who were sleeping peacefully, clearly unbothered by her alarm. Yena groggily washed up and suited up for her night shift.

 

Giving herself another look in the mirror, ensuring that she looked presentable for the young princess, she fixed the dark beret on her head and headed out.

 

Upon reaching Palace Elysian, she exchanged pleasantries with the guard on duty and exchanged positions consecutively.

 

Once the guard had sauntered off to the corner of the hallway, Yena gave 5 sharp knocks on the door, paused, and gave another

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter