Broken by Chance

Can I Love You?

"Three, Two, One!"

    A question flashed across the screen: "Who is most likely to adapt effortlessly in a parallel universe?" 
     Min Ho quickly looked through the available photos in his hands and chose Go Eun without a second thought.
    Something had struck him about her during their photoshoot two days ago. The image of her deep smile wouldn't leave his head no matter how hard he'd try. Now that she was sitting right next to him again and the smell of her perfume had filled the entire space, he had an even harder time imagining her struggle to survive in any universe present. She would instantly find her way out of trouble by just smiling. 
     The rest of the crew excitedly turned their cards to reveal Go Eun as their choice, including herself. She curiously looked towards him and seemed amused at her own pictures. "What, did I get the most votes?" 
     "You have a conscience!" Min Ho blurted out before he had time to think about what's exactly coming out of his mouth. 
      Aish, pabo. Who even says that? 
      She laughed away anyway at his terrible remark like it was the funniest thing she had ever heard. It was this remarkable power of hers that made him feel even remotely comfortable walking into crew meetings anymore- She made him feel like less of an idiot. Maybe that's why he thought it was a good idea to accept the team's invitation to dinner after their Swoon interview. 
        Min Ho wanted to think of this dinner as a professional meeting meant to help him befriend some of his co-stars. Deep in his heart though, he knew he was just trying to make it up to her this time. 
 ***
        The weather was colder today, enough to make Min Ho slightly shudder even in his black suit inside his car. They were in front of a famous restaurant in town, recommended by Woo Do Hwan himself. Apparently they served the best Spicy Beef stews he had ever tasted.

        Min Ho watched Kim Go Eun get out of Do Hwan's car- Apparently she didn't have a ride today. She looked towards him and signaled for him to hurry up. He wanted to, but he felt hesitant. His surroundings looked familiar, almost like he had been here before. It made him feel a little something drop in his stomach for no apparent reason. At this point, it seemed as though everyone were gathered at the entrance and just waiting for him. Min Ho drew in a deep sigh and opened his car door. 
       "What took you so long? I'm freezing!" Go Eun was already hugging herself tightly. It was the first time he had seen her without a smile on her face. Instinctively, he took off his coat and softly placed it on her back. She looked at him surprised, slightly tilting her head. "Wae..? Aren't you cold? This isn't necessary.." Was she embarrassed? 
       He couldn't help slightly smirking at her blushing face as others jumped at the opportunity to tease the on-screen couple already.

       "Min Ho Shi, I see you're already working your magic on our detective here. Is that how you managed to become a veteran?" 
       "Aniyo, that's how he steals the heart of all the fan girls who will be taking pictures of us today because of him!" 
       "Aish aren't you guys hungry? I came here because of you, broken sword! I'm going in." Min Ho stammered hopelessly as he went ahead and opened the restaurant door. 
        "Okay, okay! Follow me everyone!" Do Hwan cheerfully exclaimed as he walked inside with others following him. Go Eun walked in last, briefly throwing Min Ho a glance and uttering "thank you" for holding the door. 
       Still slightly amused from earlier, Min Ho walked in after her with a soft smile on his face- that dropped the moment he approached their reserved table. The only space available to him was the one next to Go Eun. Was Do Hwan doing this on purpose? 
        Min Ho threw a look his way, which made Do Hwan defensively point at the only remaining seat. "You walked in last! I'm not your body guard yet, no one is saving special seats for you." The laugher could already be heard around the table, including Go Eun's which was reassuring for Min Ho to hear. 
        "I'm going to kill you." Min Ho quietly uttered as he approached his seat. 
       "Aish he already doesn't like me again. Should I treat you to some drinks, pyeha?" Do Hwan playfully asked, emphasizing the word "pyeha"

       "Aniyo! Did you forget? He doesn't like to drink alcohol. We have a rather picky king here. He fits the role perfectly." Go Eun smirked as she shot him a look. She was definitely going to pay him back for his coat during dinner. 
       Min Ho might have been the one blushing now. She might have not called him an for his attitude during the script reading, but she was sure to use every chance to about it. "Wae, why are you teasing me too? Should I take my coat back? You might get beheaded for this!" He smirked back. 
       Before she had a chance to respond, Do Hwan's phone ringing interrupted their conversation. He quickly got up. "Hold on, I'll be back."

       The newfound quietness at the table made him feel rather awkward as he watched his sword walk away. "Should we wait for him?"
"Aniyo! I'm hungry, let's order first. I'm sure he can catch up to us." Jung Eun Chae nonchalantly answered as she opened the menu. He glanced at the menu in front him and then looked to his right. Go Eun was still shivering in her seat while blankly staring down at the table. 
        "Are you okay? You keep shivering." He asked her softly. 
        "Yes... well.. no.. I'm getting a headache. I hope this goes away once I have some soup. I should be okay. I'm sorry for using your coat." She replied without looking up. 
        "Aniyo, do you have any medication? I have some in my car. I don't want your headache to get worse. I feel responsible." 
        She finally looked up at him with an expression he had never seen from her before. He couldn't really understand what it meant, besides that it made him slightly tense to have her look into his eyes that way. "If you want to... I would appreciate that.." she quietly responded. He would do anything to get her smile back. 
        "Okay, hold on. I'll be back. Eun Chae shi, Can you please order me a regular?" She nodded his way while looking towards Go Eun with concern. 
        He gently wrapped his right arm around her waist and reached into the pocket of his coat to grab his car keys. She smelled even more enchanting up close.
       She continued to blankly stare at him as he pulled away. After shooting Go Eun another concerned look, he got up and walked quickly towards the entrance. He wanted her to spend as little time as possible feeling any sort of pain. It was almost as if he was addicted to her smile already. 
        "Oppa! Is that you?" 
        His heart dropped. His head which had been so full of priorities suddenly went blank as his blood ran cold. It felt like someone had just splashed him with cold water out of no where. 
         "Hey Suze." He turned around reluctantly. 
          Now he knew exactly why his heart had dropped at the sight of this restaurant. It was also one of her favorites.