10. 蜜蜜碎语。

the anatomy of love

10. BROKEN WORDS LIKE HONEY.

Despite being the one who always has the most to say, when I'm angry, I choose to remain silent.

Not because I'm easily hurt, nor because I don't want to communicate my thoughts and feelings. I just feel like it's important to calm down before speaking, so as to avoid saying anything that I'll regret. The last thing I want to do is make empty, impulsive accusations. If respect is lost between two equals, then any argument would be unfair.

And the one thing I want, in the end, is fairness.

I don't want to be a replacement for anyone, and neither do I want to be the cause of a problem without knowing it...regardless of how much I love him.

Yes, I love him—but I'm also angry at him, so staying silent until I'm in control of my emotions is the best thing to do.

I need to understand myself first. I don't know if the way I'm feeling right now is justified, or even if it's reasonable. I don't even know if I have the right to ask him for an explanation, with things being the way they are.

In truth, the situation isn't as complicated as it seems. I know Jungkook genuinely cares for me, and I've never questioned this once. With our marriage not being based on the premise of love, it's irrelevant for me to be angry over his past romantic partners or affairs. This being so, my frustration didn't stem from his possible past relationship with Seo Soojin—rather, I'm upset because he didn't tell me of his parent's disproval of Ms. Seo.

Regardless of the cost, I don't want to live my life in suspicion. I don't want to spend my time playing guessing games and exchanging ulterior motives. I want him to tell me the entire situation from the start, because trying to analyze things for hidden meanings is tiring to me—it's a clumsy and ineffective way to go about life when everything can simply be resolved with communication. No matter how messy a matter may be, I just want to be able to understand what's going on.

Jungkook, likely knowing my temper and seeing that I wasn't speaking any more than was necessary, doesn't provoke me. He doesn't question my silence, and even when we'd arrived back at the train station after dinner with his extended family, he doesn't make a sound, only walking quietly beside me, glancing at me every once in a while.

When our train arrives, I sit once more beside the long glass panel. Jungkook's jacket also covers my body again as he settles wordlessly in the seat next to me, dark brow slanted, lips pressed in a thin line.

After a while, I finally open my mouth to speak.

"You..." I say, but after spitting out such a simple syllable, I realize that I am still angry, and close my mouth again.

An hour passes just like that, silently. The train tracks rush underneath us, the light from the window becoming dimmer with each passing minute.

As I watch the sky outside grow darker, my thoughts also seem to calm down, and I once again slant my chin to face him. "At brunch," I begin with a small breath in between, "when you left the table, your parents brought up Seo yimo."

Perhaps other women would simply ignore the issue entirely. Perhaps other women would useaegyo to address the issue in a more pleasing manner, but those women aren't me.

I'm Kim Yerim. Unavoiding, unwavering, and straight to the point.

Jungkook meets my gaze, dark irises reflecting the passing lights of the tunnel outside, light and dark, light and dark, one by one by one. He doesn't speak, waiting for me to finish.

"Jungkook, I know this situation is something you have your own ways of dealing with, but I hope that in the future, you can tell me about these things." I say. "You don't have to do so in detail, just a general summary would do...this way, neither of us will have to guess what the other is thinking. I promise, I won't try to intervene in your matters, I just think that, in the future, since we will be family...You said once, that when I'm sad or lonely, I can find you, and when I meet any hardships, I can lean against you...You can also count on me in the same way. You should also trust me..."

He lowers his head, staring at his hands. After a moment, he says, "Yerim, I understand now. I'm sorry, I'll change...I didn't tell you because I'm still not used to telling someone else. That is my fault, and if I can make it up to you, I hope you can forgive me."

I nod. "Just now, I was angry at you, so
I'm also sorry. I shouldn't be angry at you. I'm grateful for you, Kookie. But..."

He raises his head again.

"As for Seo Soojin, I don't want to say too much, because I trust that you have your own plan in regards to this matter. However, if her relationship with you affects your relationship with me, I can't promise that I won't take actions of my own. You know how I am; I don't like to sit and wait for problems to solve themselves. In this way, I am also looking out for my own future, and I hope you can understand."

He sighs, then, shaking his head. "A few years ago, my parents misinterpreted my relationship with Soojin—they thought I was interested in her romantically, but only because I rarely spoke to other women at the time. Nothing happened between us, and as for my intent on helping her and her mother, I only wish to fulfill my responsibility as someone who has grown up alongside her."

I agree as I think quietly to myself, and a minute passes before I speak again.

"Truthfully, I'm not the type to like getting jealous." I confess, "To me, jealousy is something that wastes both time and effort. I don't have any requests for how you proceed to interact with her from now on—that is your decision alone. Since we are husband and wife, we are also equals, and as your wife, I will always respect your choice." I hold his gaze as I say this, unflinching.

He nods slowly, staring back at me with genuine gratitude. "Thank you, Yerim."

When we arrive home, the sun has already set completely.

We each proceed to our own rooms to wash up for bed, but when I finish showering and brushing my teeth and find the master bedroom empty, I set out to find him.

The door to Jungkook's room is ajar as he stands at the sink, brushing his teeth with repetitive, horizontal movements of his arm. His eyes are trained on the mirror before him, hair still wet from the shower.

I quietly walk up behind him. My arms reach without warning around his waist as I hug him from behind, my face pressed firmly against his back, voice muffled by the fabric of his T-shirt.

"Jeon Jungkook...you...are mine." I declare out of the blue, leaving no room for negotiation in my demanding tone. "Forget the benefits of having such a beautiful, talented wife like me—since you've decided to marry me, there is one important condition. That is, you must belong to me until the end of time, and only I, Kim Yerim, can ever have you fully..."

He pauses his movements, then, bringing his cup to his lips and rinsing the toothpaste from his mouth. Slowly, he turns to face me, and my hands fall gently to my sides.

"Other than me, who else dares to marry such a demanding woman?" he chuckles, raising his brow with a disbelieving grin on his lips.

I smile widely, raising my chin defiantly. "The number of suitors waiting for my hand is enough to sell out a concert. Want to try me?" I challenge with a snort.

In the next moment, his arms snake around my hip and underneath me, picking me up from the ground. My legs wrap tightly around his waist, my hands threading behind his neck in that familiar way, my head lowering to stare at him.

"Let's see how far you can run now, Kim Yerim." He says as I move my fingers through his slightly wet hair.

"You're really not scared I'll leave?" I ask.

"I'm scared," he laughs, "so scared I'm tempted to take you to the lab and lock you up in my basement."

I don't answer, then, only staring down at him quietly.

"What are you thinking?" he murmurs.

"I'm thinking, today, I shouldn't have been mad at you." I say, "You hired Seo yimo to repay the years she watched over you and your mother, didn't you?"

He nods slightly as I brush his hair from his eyes. "That year, she was my birth mother's only friend. She saved my birth mother's life once, and for that, I owe her."

I stare at his face again, smiling silently to myself.

He raises a brow once more, "What else are you thinking?"

I bite my lower lip. "I'm thinking about kissing you." I answer, honestly.

The moment I hear my own voice is the moment I realize exactly what I'm saying.

God, I really can't control that big mouth of mine...

I feel my cheeks burn as I panic, immediately lowering my head to kiss his forehead. My thin lips press against his warm skin, lightly brushing over—in that moment, it feels as if my heart would leap out of my chest as it hammers against my ribcage.

I lean my head over his shoulder immediately afterwards, avoiding his gaze as I bury my face in the crook of his neck.

After this many years, and after doing such an outrageous thing, I still can't find the courage to face that pair of eyes—and it's only when I sense him leaving the room, still carrying me in his arms, that I raise my head.

"Where are you carrying me?" I ask in between bouts of laughter, "Didn't you say I'm too heavy? Don't carry me anymore, you can put me down...you won't be able to do experiments with sore arms..."

"Did you forget what I said to you last night?" Jungkook chuckles in my ear. "Kim Yerim, I will carry you for a lifetime. When we have children, I'll carry you in one hand, our child in the other, and I'll take you both to see the sea..."

The next day after work, I feel as if something is not quite right with Joohyun.

In other words, throughout the whole day, she seemed to be distracted—something that didn't occur often. During the workday, I hadn't said anything—I simply monitored her discreetly, and it was only after eight hours that I felt there was indeed something off.

"Unnie, is something the matter today?" I can't help but ask as I prepare to go home for the day.

Joohyun lifts her head from a stack of freshly printed papers as she blushes, answering softly: "Next week is my wedding anniversary, and my husband wanted to take me and my daughter to Jeju for a few days...but the idea for the trip was rather spontaneous, and I didn't have time to schedule the week off..."

"That's easy!" I exclaim incredulously, "As your boss, of course I can grant you next week off!"

Joohyun still shakes her head. "B-but, I already told Taehyung that I won't be able to go. The friend he found to look over Yeontan during our trip also left Seoul and went back to Daegu—you know how that dog of mine is, he doesn't allow strangers to come near him unless someone he already knows is present."

Suddenly, I form an idea. "Yeontan is pretty familiar with me. What if I helped you look after him for a few days?" I offer.

"Didn't you just move into your new house last month?" Joohyun frowns. "It'd be too much trouble, Yerim-ah."

I reach over and tug her arm. "Unnie, just trust your boss. Go have a good vacation and anniversary. When you come back to work all relaxed and refreshed, you'll be more productive, too."

Joohyun still sounds skeptical. "Mr. Jeon won't mind, will he?"

Ah, I seem to have forgotten about that fiancé of mine for the time being.

"About that...let me make a call." I say.

Joohyun nods as I fish my phone out from my purse, directly dialing Jungkook's contact.

"Yerim?" Jungkook's voice is yet again staticky.

"What are you up to?" I hum in reply.

He coughs lightly, "...Well, I was in the middle of a mouse."

"Ah," I chuckle, unsurprised, "I just wanted to ask—next week, I want to bring a dog home...would you have any objections?"

He seems to be a bit confused. "When did you buy a dog?"

"No, no, no." I quickly clarify, "It's Joohyun unnie's dog. I want to help her look after it for a few days, so she can go celebrate her wedding anniversary with her husband. They'll be in Jeju next week for a few days."

"Oh, so that's what it is..." Jungkook says, "Okay, I'll let Seo yimo know."

"Thank you!" I immediately exclaim, nearly dancing on my heels in excitement.

Jungkook chuckles quietly. "If there's nothing else, I'll hang up first."

I nod. "Okay, I won't bother you anymore at work. Come home early, and don't forget to eat dinner on time. Be careful on the road home, even though you aren't driving, just be on alert in case anything happens. I want you back safe and sound."

He laughs as he agrees to my demands, bidding me goodbye before hanging up the phone.

When I raise my head, Joohyun is staring at me, a strange smile on her lips.

"Yerim, you and Mr. Jeon seem to be very happy together..."

I blink a few times in confusion. "Huh?"

She nods, "Just judging by that conversation just now, I feel like you and Mr. Jeon are even more sappy than Taehyung and I were when we were your age..."

"Unnie!" I protest, to no avail as Joohyun smiles again and shakes her head.

"Now, I can finally put down my worries." she says, to which I cry out indignantly.

"Unnie, did you think someone like Jeon Jungkook could take advantage of me?" I joke, "Who am I? I'm the Kim Yerim, unnie, and when have you ever seen Kim Yerim have anything but the upper hand?"

The next week, Joohyun drops Yeontan off at our house, along with enough supplies for the week. Because I adore small animals the most, I set aside everything else to focus on taking care of my new object of affection.

That day, Jungkook returns home from work at his usual time, 8 P.M. Usually, during or after his meal, I'd come downstairs to stay with him, sitting next to him and reading my book, or keeping him company with a conversation or two—but that day, I was nowhere to be found. Thus, after having finished his dinner and still finding me nowhere in sight, Jungkook decidedly appears at the door of my room, peeking his head in to see what the matter is.

He walks into the room to find me kissing Yeontan's little black nose, happier than a young child receiving a gift, so immersed in the cute paws of the little animal before me that I don't even notice him coming in. Even when I finally raise my head to greet him, I don't run over to embrace him or ask him about his experiments, as per usual. (Though, whenever I listened to him describe his experiments, I could only understand a few basic terminology—but this was no hindrance to me, as I simply like to listen to his voice. It was my habit to lean against his shoulder, close my eyes, and listen to him speak as I rested my inner spirit after a long day at work.)

"How come you're only kissing the dog, not me?" He sits next to me on the floor, brows slightly furrowed as he watches me cuddle Yeontan in my arms.

I blink blankly at him. "Are you asking me to kiss you?"

"..."

I cackle as I put Yeontan down on the floor, obediently shuffling over on the carpet to plant a kiss on the tip of his nose.

"That's a good boy."