FIVE

The Fourth Quarter Quell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

**********

 

"You don't know a thing Yerin. Just continue focusing on yourself."

 

 

I sit up, defeated as SinB's voice keeps on ringing in my head. I don't have any idea what time it is but I'm certain I only have more or less three hours before the sun rises.

 

I can't sleep. Blame it on the encounter I had with those two girls from One. If things were messing up my head before, this time, it feels like I’m clueless about everything ever since the beginning. I know Sowon and I never really click but I also know she would never lie about things like that, especially when SinB is involved.

 

I’m confused. Why would SinB help me in the Arena when she doesn’t even know me before? Why would she protect me? Why me?

 

 

"This time, it's my decision to be a tribute."

 

 

Then there’s this revelation that she didn’t actually volunteer during her Games before. What does that mean? She was forced? And now, it’s her decision to join. If she was forced before, why would she volunteer herself for the Games she didn’t like since the beginning?

 

Everything just doesn’t make any sense.

 

I stand up, giving up on trying to sleep. My head is too messed up for sleepiness to kick in. I head to the kitchen and get myself a glass of water. I always like when it’s silent but somehow, I wanted another being around me this time.

 

“Unnie?”

 

I turn around and a small smile forms in my lips seeing a sleepy Eunha by the doorway. She looks cute in her oversized violet hoodie. And it’s funny because just now, I was thinking it would make me feel better if someone is around me and then, here she is, appearing like that. Her timing is always on point.

 

“Aren’t you suppose to rest for your training tomorrow?” She asks as she walks in to get herself a glass of water.

 

“I can’t sleep.”

 

She looks at me, her expression telling me that she was somehow expecting this. When I talked to her about Yewon earlier, I knew she’s worried about me. I guess she was just trying to stop herself from getting me to talk knowing I’ve been wanting to isolate myself.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” She asks, sitting on one of the counter stools.

 

Honestly, I do, so much. But I think only SinB can answer my questions. Maybe Sowon as well but this is about me and SinB. It would be better if I directly get the answers from her. But wait, if Sowon knew…

 

“Did you know?” I ask Eunha. I never really talked to her about the things that happened during my Games and she knows it's a sensitive topic to me so I guess she never opened it up because of that. All this time, I thought she was the one responsible for helping me in my survival. Come to think of it, I never really thanked her for guiding me in my whole journey as a tribute before.

 

“I didn't.” She whispers, looking down as she smiles sadly. "Not until Sowon told me about it during a party in Capitol last year. She asked me out and told me I can't say no because we owe District One for helping you.”

 

“I... I’m sorry I didn’t—“

 

“You did nothing wrong unnie.” She looks at me and her lips form into a flat, forced smile. I walk towards her and reach to hold her hand. I was too focused about myself, about SinB that I forgot Eunha might be suffering as well. I just didn’t expect it was because of this. “It’s just… maybe disappointing? She didn’t have to make that remark because honestly, I’d date her regardless.”

 

I was aware of Eunha’s feelings for Sowon but I didn’t know they dated because of this. I sigh and pull her into an embrace. It must be really conflicting for her, I wonder why they broke up. Eunha always makes sure not to open a topic about Sowon so I did not push her to tell me about their relationship. I guess what Sowon said made her hesitate to devote herself wholly in their relationship.

 

After almost a minute, I hear a suppressed sob from her and she pulls away, wiping her tears vigorously. “We should not talk about this. We can’t when you have—”

 

“We should and we can Eunha yah…” I smile at her reassuringly. “You are always with me when I need you. Let me help you this time? Even if I can only offer my ears to listen.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Come here.” I open my arms again and nod at her to move closer. She hesitates but eventually, her lips curve downwards as she can’t stop her cries anymore. She lets out a sob and finally comes into my embrace to cry in my shoulders.

 

Somehow, I feel guilty. Eunha has been a faithful and good friend to me but I had no idea she’s suffering all this time. I knew she went through a lot when they broke up but I didn’t know she suffered even before that.

 

SinB is right. I only focus on myself.

 

---

 

“Are you okay Yerin?”

 

I blink as I hear Eunwoo whispering. I glance at him and give him a small nod before looking in front. I can already see the entrance to the gymnasium of the training center.

 

I have been unfocused since earlier this morning and certainly, this is not because of the lack of sleep. I know we are not allowed to talk to tributes from other districts but the thought of being in the same place as SinB just flickers a hope in me. I want to talk to her again. Even if she doesn’t answer all my questions, I just want to know why she helped me.

 

As we reach the place, there are a lot more peacekeepers than I expected. Every corner and every training station, there are at least two of them. I bite my lip as the hope I felt earlier slowly vanished. If they’re this strict, I might die first in the Arena before I can have a chance to talk to SinB.

 

“I’ll head to the camouflage station.” Eunwoo informs me and I just nod. Then, I hear him sigh as he walks away. That caused me to gulp. I know Eunwoo and I are never really the closest friends but we spent time together enough for me to consider him as one of my trusted people.

 

Since yesterday, I’ve been trying to limit my interaction with him not because I hated him but because I don’t want to get attached any further. It will be hard to me to think of him as an enemy in the Arena and I promised Yewon I’ll go back home alive. In order for me to do that, I need to step up my game and control my emotions. I just don’t know if this will work with SinB.

 

I look around and spot the archery station by the corner. I walk towards it as I scan the place in search for a blonde headed woman. Then, I feel my feet automatically stop as my eyes spot her in a sword fight with a trainer. She is wearing the same suit as mine only that hers is marked by One. She's panting but it's obvious that she's taking the lead. Honestly, she looks intimidating and... hot.

 

What?

 

I shake my head as I resume walking. Really, I’m about to enter hell in two days, why does my head think about unnecessary things? I need to focus in training and set aside my thoughts about her for now. It looks like I don’t have a chance of approaching her anyway. Better spend my time readying myself for the games. I'll just think of other chances to talk to her.

 

As I reach the station, the trainer in charge approaches me, asking what I want to do. “I just want to shoot.” I simply tell him and grab the nearest bow my hands can reach from the display. I see him nod and begins typing something on the screen beside the glass door. Then, I can see a small stage lights up inside the transparent room.

 

I suddenly feel conscious. I don’t want anyone seeing me train but with this transparent walls, I know everyone in here can see me once they turn their head in this direction. Sighing, I take the quiver full of arrows the trainer gives me. It’s not like they’ll be interested in watching me, right?

 

The door slides open and I walk inside. I load an arrow and position myself in the center. I tried training in here before and the structure looks a bit different. I wonder what they installed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter