FOUR

The Fourth Quarter Quell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

**********

 

I take a deep breath as I close the door behind me. I can still hear Yewon sobbing and it's making it more difficult for me to leave. My steps feel heavy and my body still has not recovered from the adrenaline rush earlier. It feels like a nightmare but it isn't, which is worse.

 

I face the peacekeepers with a stern stare. But as two of them attempt to hold my arms, I immediately step back. 

 

"Don't come near me."

 

They look at Moonbin and he tells them to back off. "I'll Miss Yerin to the Justice Building."

 

He politely smiles at me and steps aside, making a way for me. I just give him a glance, keeping my stern expression as I walk. They follow behind but soon enough, Moonbin catches up while the others keep their distance. 

 

"Your cousin will be safe here." He starts and I ignore him. No one safe in here. Who is he trying to fool? "It's an order given to me. You know, to keep her safe." 

 

This time, I stop walking and look at him. But he immediately tells me to continue our pace to keep the distance between us and the other peacekeepers. I'm confused but I follow as he says. 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"A friend of yours who happened to be a friend of mine as well swore to God she’ll kill me if something happens to you and your cousin."

 

I raise my brows. A head peacekeeper following orders from a friend? Aren't they literally the dogs of the Capitol? This is not how it goes. Peacekeepers torture people not protect them. 

 

I don't know if I should trust his words. We just spoke once and despite being considerate to me that time, I just couldn't give him my trust. But then, do I have any choice? If the head peacekeeper tells me he will protect Yewon, that will be convenient for me right? Someone can look over her, especially when the Capitol is starting to play dirty.

 

But who is this mutual friend he is talking about?

 

"Who?" 

 

"I'm not in position to tell you."

 

"How can you expect me to trust you if you won't even tell me?"

 

He smiles at me and then looks forward as the Justice Building comes into view. "You'll know it one day, Miss Yerin. But for now, you have no choice but to trust me because even the Mayor is dying to be friends with me."

 

He's got a point. Peacekeepers are feared here. People won't dare to mess with them, even the district officials. But still, I can't just trust someone I barely know. He won't even tell me a thing and the fact that he knows I know I have to trust him. It's annoying, really.

 

As we reach the entrance of the building, I face him. "I'll kill you if something happens to Yewon." 

 

"What's with ladies throwing threats?" He lets out a laugh and nods at me. "Sure, Miss Yerin. It's not like a sword slashing my neck is enough of a threat."

 

I give him a confused glance. "What?"

 

"Nothing. You should go inside now. They're waiting for you." He gives me a small bow and spread his arm pointing inside. I stare at him for a few seconds before sighing and walking inside.

 

But he calls my name again before the door closes. I look back and he gives me a smile, a smile that looks like he's assuring me? Then, he shouts. "I forgot to tell you, I grew up in District One."

 

---

 

I groan as I scratch my head. This is making me crazy. I have been trying to figure out Moonbin's words and it isn't helping that I'm still not over the shock I have from this Quarter Quell. Why does he even have to worsen the chaos in my thoughts? 

 

Does he think I would want to know where his home district is? But his eyes were trying to tell me something. It's the thing that's bothering me the most. 

 

 

"I have to go Miss. Take time sharpening your skills. You'll need them soon."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"Oh I'm sorry, I assumed you already know. I thought your friend from One already told you."

 

 

I suddenly remember our conversation a few days ago. Then, a certain line repeats in my head.

 

 

"...I thought your friend from One already told you."

 

 

SinB.

 

By any chance, was he talking about SinB? For what he claims our mutual friend? The thought made me scoff. I'm not friends with her. It's complicated. Too complicated to be involved with a District One Victor— wait. District One Victor.

 

.

 

I stand up from my seat and begin walking back and forth inside the room. I grab my hair as I try to calm my nerves. "No no..."

 

SinB is a Victor.

 

She is a Victor from One and the Games, the Quarter Quell...

 

"No.This can't be."

 

I was too preoccupied with my worry for Yewon that I forgot she also needs to face this new the Capitol is putting us through. She is a Victor, a fully qualified tribute for the Games.

 

I feel my heart racing, this time, it's because I feel terrified for her, for us, and for what's about to happen. We can't possibly be in the Arena together because that would mean one of us needs to be killed for the other to survive. 

 

This is worse than I thought. Everything is messed up.

 

Then, just when I thought my head couldn't get any messier, the images of my nightmares the previous nights begin to flash in my head.

 

 

“You think I’m worth to be spared?” 

 

“Because I think you're not.”

 

 

I gasp as I remember that specific terrifying scene. Those nightmares... they weren't for nothing. I bite my lower lip as I try to calm myself. I'm trembling and I feel my knees weaken. The nightmares can't be happening. They just can't.

 

I inhale deeply, getting my mind clear. I can't panic right now, not when I need to think straight.

 

District One currently has four alive Victors: two females and two males. District One needs a reaping. This means SinB isn't a automatic tribute like I am.

 

I stop walking as I feel a slight relief realizing this. SinB has a chance— a chance to be spared. 

 

I release a breath, my sudden panic slowly vanishing. She needs to be spared. I can't bear the thought of her in the Arena. I can't bear the thought of the both of us in that damned place.

 

"Miss Jung Yerin," I look up and see a peacekeeper by the door. He opens it wide and steps aside. "The train headed to the Capitol is here. You need to go." 

 

I nod and take a deep breath before following him outside. Now that the train is here, I feel myself about to breakdown again. Is this really happening?

 

I feel like a total mess. My thoughts are swirling like a hurricane in my head and I feel my insides getting squeezed. I feel a lot worse compared to the day I was reaped during the Ninety-eight Hunger Games. At least during that time, I went to the reaping with my thoughts all gathered for what was about to happen if my name gets called. This time, it's poured onto me like a cold ice bucket prank someone pulls out of nowhere. It feels like a slap from someone I never thought would hurt me.

 

Worse, the worry I feel doubled thinking about a certain blonde woman from One. Oh god...

 

As we reach the station, I see Eunha waiting in the train, just by the entrance. Eunwoo is already there too and he looks unfocused as his eyes are staring into nothing. 

 

"Unnie!" Eunha yells, seeing me approaching. I look at her and it's only then I notice the tears in her eyes. As I walk inside, she drags me to the dining area and immediately pulls me into a hug. I weakly lift a hand and pat her head. I can feel the tears again. I don't know if it's normal but I feel like I can cry a whole gallon of tears.

 

Then, Eunwoo comes in. Our eyes meet but no one dares to speak. Or maybe, no one can utter a word. Somehow, I pity him. He literally just finished his Victor Tour and here he is, on his way to be stuck in the Arena again. 

 

"U-Unnie..." Eunha pulls away and she sobs even harder. "H-How dare them. H-How—"

 

I shush her up and hug her again. My people... As much as I don't deserve to be in this , Yewon and Eunha don't deserve to be pained like this as well.

 

"S-SinB.." She mutters and I pull away to look at her. "They're doing the r-reaping right now.. In O-One."

 

"W-What? Right now?"

 

"I d-don't know what's happening. It's all a mess. The other d-districts are—"

 

She's interrupted as the screen in the middle of the room lights up. It shows the District One's seal beside the Capitol's. I feel my heart racing again as I stare at it. Then, a live footage plays and Eunha's cries become even worse. 

 

SinB is standing beside Seulgi, the other District One female Victor. They're standing on the right side of the stage and the two male Victors on the other side. In the middle, stands Sowon, their . She is holding the microphone and placed a meter away from her both sides are transparent bowls with two pieces of papers each, containing the names of the Victors.

 

The camera is fixated to focus on people on the stage. I don't even know if there's an audience. It isn't shown. So I end up just staring at SinB and I feel my throat drying seeing her in that situation. She looks calm yet her eyes are dark. It's obvious despite the lack of lightings around them. 

 

Sowon looks unfocused as she begins the usual greeting. The reaping takes only a minute but right now, it feels like hours. As she proceeds to walk toward the bowl for females, she steals a glance at SinB. Then, she hesitantly claws one of the two pieces of paper.

 

I gulp, feeling my whole system shutting down to focus on the next words she utters. 

 

"District One's female Victor..." 

 

She releases a breath and flips the paper. Then, she proceeds, 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter