THREE

The Fourth Quarter Quell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

**********

 

I keep on walking, not knowing where my actual destination is. I just let my feet take me to wherever they want to be. I feel cold but it doesn’t really bother me. My whole being is preoccupied on the exchange I just had with SinB. My words keep on ringing inside my head. Worse part, SinB's expression is flashing as my voice replays. 

 

She looked hurt and it's bothering me. I have never seen her like that and it's making me feel guilty which I didn't expect I would feel. Why does she look hurt anyway? Maybe my words kind of hit her ego. Maybe she felt insulted. 

 

I sigh as I stop walking and look around. I guess I was too preoccupied with my thoughts that I didn't notice I have already reached the dead end of the district. This is the place where I always go when I feel lonely. My parents brought me here to train me in using my weapons. They knew no one is safe from the Games and they loathed the idea of me reaped as a tribute and end up being a defenseless weakling in the Arena. So they taught me how to protect myself and use weapons in case it would happen. And it really did. 

 

They died a year before I was reaped. The Capitol was threatened as the two of them were too influential in our District. I was a mess and if it weren't for Yewon, I would've probably killed myself. I think, somehow, there's at least one good thing about it: They were not there to see me getting reaped, they were not there to watch me kill other people.

 

Looking for my weapons, I walk closer toward the metal fence, but careful not to touch it. The authorities put an invisible force field into it and a person actually died after forcing his way through. They installed it years after the Capitol took over Panem again. Even the borders between the districts have force fields, making it impossible for rebels to secretly meet. 

 

After a whole minute, I stand straight and examine the area. I can't find my weapons. I'm sure I hid them somewhere near the bushes but they are nowhere to be found. Did someone find them while I was away? But people never really walk around here.

 

"You looking for these?"

 

I almost jump, surprised as I turn around. There's a man. He's holding my bow and quiver full of arrows. And he looks like he's not from here. I'm familiar with all the people, I may not know them personally nor their names, but I do know if they're from Twelve or not. 

 

"Who are you?" I ask.

 

"Moonbin." He smiles and comes closer to hand me my weapons. I stare at him as he steps back, placing a more respectable distance between us. "It's a pleasure finally meeting you, Miss Yerin."

 

"What are you doing here. You are not from Twelve."

 

"Oh that—"

 

"Sir."

 

We both look at the source of voice. Upon seeing the person, my hand automatically grabs an arrow and loads my bow before I can even realize it.

 

A peacekeeper. 

 

"Hey hey, chill Miss. He's not gonna hurt you." 

 

I slowly retract my arrow. Right, peacekeepers may be Capitol's pets but they won't hurt Victors. Besides, I'm not suppose to act like this toward a peacekeeper. I might get in trouble. 

 

But wait what?

 

"Sir?" I repeat. "Why is he calling you Sir?" 

 

"I'm the new Head Peacekeeper here in Twelve."

 

Surprised, I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. How is he a head peacekeeper? He looks young to be assigned in a high rank. I may even be older than him. 

 

Then, I realize he's offering his hand to shake. For formalities, I guess. But there's no way I will take that so I stay put until he retracts. I don't shake hands with Capitol pets. 

 

He must've realized I'm not in mood to be friendly with him because I hear him sigh in defeat. Then, he gives me a smile of amusement as he raises his brow.

 

"I have to go Miss. Take time sharpening your skills. You'll need them soon."

 

I'll need what?

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

He stops and looks back at me. "Oh I'm sorry, I assumed you already know. I thought your friend from One already told you."

 

I pause for a moment. What does SinB have to do with this? 

 

"Tell me what?"

 

"I think I'm not in position to say anything." He flashes a smile. "Have a good day, Miss Yerin. Rest assured, no peacekeeper will arrest you for illegally using your weapons in here."

 

I fall mum for a few seconds. Right, no one is allowed to be seen with any deadly weapon around the district.

 

When they finally disappear from my sight. I release a breath I didn't know I have been holding. Questions are clouding my head. Why is there a new head peacekeeper? Why did he let me off with my weapons? What did he mean when he said I need to sharpen my skills? More importantly, what does SinB have to do with this?

 

I need to go back home and talk to SinB. She knows something and I need to talk to her. But first, I need to hide my weapons somewhere safe. I look around and spot a small hole near a tree. I guess that will do. 

 

Making sure they are well hidden, I look around once again before walking back home. However, few minutes into walking and after seeing the Victors Village from afar, I suddenly feel hesitant. I almost forgot, I just had an argument with SinB. How daring would it be for me to talk to her like nothing happened.

 

Nevertheless, I need to see her. And maybe, apologize? But what do I have to apologize for? Clearly, I just told her what I want? 

 

Wait. Oh .

 

After realizing my mistake, I begin running. There's no way she would actually follow what I want right? She's stubborn and persistent, and if she wants to talk, she'd do everything for it to happen. I suddenly feel stupid. SinB probably has something important to say but I let my emotions get the best of me. But then, can you blame me? 

 

As I finally reach my house, I hastily open the door, revealing a surprised Yewon. 

 

"Where's SinB?" I ask, still panting. 

 

She looks at me for a moment, probably reading me. Then, her lips form a flat smile. "She already left."

 

I feel a twinge in my chest. No, it's too soon for her to leave. It hasn't even an hour yet.

 

"Why are you looking for her?" Yewon asks as I pass by her to check the living room for any sign of SinB. 

 

"B-Because she's our guest?" 

 

"Really? You didn't treat her like a guest though." She says sarcastically. Surprised, I faced her. 

 

"Yewon..."

 

"I heard everything. I was standing by the door. You didn't notice me as you were too focused on running away." She sighs and gives an sympathetic look. "Anyway, she left right after you told her to. She said she's glad she came here."

 

I gulp and look away. At this point, I know Yewon already knows what's going on. "I'm sorry."

 

"What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything to me." She says but I know we both know what I'm talking about. 

 

"Did she say something else?"

 

"That I should spend more time with you?"

 

"Okay." I nod timidly and clear my throat, shrugging it off despite feeling a lot heavier inside me. 

 

But I guess Yewon just knows me too well.

 

"Unnie... I may not know everything or what she has done to you and I know she must've hurt you a lot for you to say those words... but I also know she was sincere when she asked you to talk. She must have something really important to tell you."

 

I gulp as Yewon walks closer to hold my hand. She's right. SinB has something to tell me. That new head peacekeeper said so. And I feel stupid for being irrational earlier. I was too focused on my own feelings and getting away from her that I forgot how to observe and listen. Right, I'm an idiot.

 

"I'm not forcing you to tell me unnie but— hey, why are you crying?"

 

I'm crying? I didn't know.

 

I touch my cheeks and I'm indeed crying. I quickly wipe my tears and force my lips to curl up. "I'm okay. I'm okay. It must be the wind haha."

 

But the tears won't stop and I know I sound stupid with what I just said. 

 

"Unnie..." Yewon steps closer and wraps her around me. It's then my contained sobs escape my lips. I can't stop crying. Why can't I stop crying?

 

All I know is I feel heavy and it's weighing me down like a thousand pound stone. A stone no one can lift.

 

Yewon hugs me tighter as she tries to soothe me with her hands caressing my back. "It's okay unnie. I'm here."

 

---

 

I run and I'm limping. I have a cut in my leg and it's making my pace slower than ever. It hurts a lot but I have to keep going. I can't stop if I want to survive. 

 

But it didn't take long until I fall onto the ground. That’s when I know my leg can't take any more of running nor walking. I groan as I drag myself to the nearest tree to at least hide. I cut a part of my sleeve and try to cover the bleeding cut in my leg.

 

"Looks like my prey has lost her ability to escape." 

 

I look up and there's the guy from Two, holding his spear and playfully aiming it at me. I reach for my arrow and as he sees what I’m doing, his gaze sharpens. 

 

"That's brave of you, Miss." He walks closer and when he's close enough, he takes my bow and quiver. He throws them away as he aims his spear at my chest. "Any last wishes?"

 

I glare at him. No, I'm not gonna beg nor ask him for anything. I give him a half smirk before spitt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter