축구공

Boundaries

Beomgyu

 

     The inside of the car is sweltering. Even though the AC is on full blast, I can still feel the humidity in the air. It’s almost palpable, like I’m breathing in water. Disgusting. In an attempt to ignore the physical discomfort I’m feeling, I try to focus on the prospects before me. That is, finally going back to school, starting a career, and becoming a real person again. As Father had said, “If you are to inherit my empire, you must become grounded in knowledge and discipline”. Apparently going to university will do that for you.

     I’m currently engrossed with the concept of disappearing to Europe for a few months when the driver suddenly comes to a stop, pulling me out of my ridiculous thought process. The car sits in front of a rather shabby looking building with a large sign stating “하숙집” (hasukjip*) in ugly red letters. Rusty metal bars cover each of the windows, clearly indicating the state of the neighborhood that exists here. I wince, slightly taken aback and briefly wish that I hadn’t decided to do this whole thing my way. I could have stayed in a nice fully furnished apartment alone with every meal provided and paid for via Father’s fancy platinum card. Of course I’m not known for doing things the easy way. I also don’t want to pay back any favors, especially not from him. Needless to say, he wasn’t particularly happy about my insistence to pay for everything myself, and no, it’s not because he cares or anything sappy like that. It’s more like he’s lost one more way to control my, admittedly, impulsive behavior.

     I pay the taxi driver for his services and grab my two suitcases. Yes, two. Why should I bring anything more than what I really need, after all? They are really freaking heavy, though, so I’m regretting not asking for help dragging them up to my new...living establishment. After nearly dropping the smaller one down the steps, I take a deep breath, brace myself, and knock on the front door.

     Almost immediately the door swings open to reveal a small but sturdy-looking old lady with a watering can.

     “Hello young ma’am. Who might you be?”

     IGNORE. STAY CALM. BE POLITE.

     “Actually, my name is Beomgyu. Choi Beomgyu, one of the new residents of this building?”

     The woman’s eyes light up underneath the large, round spectacles that cover half of her face, “Oh my! I’m so sorry, child, I meant no disrespect. Forgive an old lady! Please, please, let me show you around a bit. I was just repotting my good ficus plant over here, so just disregard the mess. My name is Kim Youngsook by the way, but you can call me halmeoni*. Come, this way! Oh, and here is your key to the building.”

     I nod and take the key from Youngsook’s outstretched palm. As I follow her into the building--pulling my substantially hefty suitcases along with me,--I notice a small scuff on the bottom of one of the large Tumi hardshells. Father will not be pleased.

     The living room is the first sight that greets me upon entering. Surprisingly, the inside of the building is cozy and spacious, decorated in soft yellows and browns. A small, plush sofa is pushed up against the wall adjacent to me. In front of the couch sits a low glass table sporting a pot of tea and some homemade (?) bungeoppang* on a large porcelain serving plate. I feel like I’m in an entirely different world.

            “This is the living room, a communal space that you can share with the four other residents of this building. Oh, plus me of course! Over there is the kitchen where you can almost certainly find me if you need something. Please don’t hesitate to ask. There’s a half-bathroom through this door here, but each duo upstairs has a full one. Here, let me show you.” I leave one of my bags by the door (I’m weak I know) and drag the other one up the stairs behind me.

     Youngsook points to the door right in front of the stairs, “That room belongs to a young man named Huening Kai. I don’t think he’s here right now, but he’s a lovely child. Strange, but lovely. Over here,” she gestures to her left, “two gentleman named Soobin and Yeonjoon--”

     “WE WERE SUMMONED?”

     Out of actual nowhere appears a tall, built boy with shocking blue hair. His soft, full lips are pursed in an obnoxiously cute pout. With him is a gentle-looking giant who kind of reminds me of a bunny? Weird flex but okay. Bunny boy looks pretty uncomfortable, but says absolutely nothing as the weirdo continues his speech.

     “Soobinie I don’t know why you didn’t want to come out and meet the new kid! He’s honestly so cute I could just die! I bet you’ve got the cutest girlfriend to match that super cute face. Oh my god this year is gonna be so much fun, so many cuties, I can’t wait--”

     “Halmeoni,” I interrupt, “could you please show me which room I’ll be staying in?” Youngsook smiles, likely at the urgency of my statement, and directs me to the opposite end of the hall. I need to get the away from these psychos.

     “Allow me!” Before I can resist, crazy boy (Yeonjun I assume?) is dragging me down to what must be the door to my bedroom. Please, please kill me.

     “Yeonjun-ah, please don’t scare the new guy, he’s probably having a hard enough time as it is. It’s why I didn’t want to bother him…” Bunny boy is obviously a lot more socially aware than this Yeonjun kid is. Yeonjun, however, is completely oblivious to Soobin’s statement and continues to talk my ear off.

     “So where are you from? Doesn’t sound like you’re from around Seoul. That doesn’t matter, though, you’re gonna have so much fun here, especially in this house! Soobin and I have been here for a year now, going to Yonsei as I’m sure you are too. I’m positive we’ll all be the best of friends in no time. Oh by the way, your roommate seems to be a real celebrity around here. So many people have already come to say hi to him! Anyways, he seems really nice. I’m sure you guys will get along great!”

     I hold up my hand to silence Yeonjun’s incessant stream of babble. I’m like this close to throwing this guy out the window.

     “Listen. Thanks for being all welcoming and such, but I’m really tired and want to relax. Alone.” I see Soobin dragging my other bag up the stairs and almost feel bad for being so rude, but I really, really just want some peace and quiet. Yeonjun seems unfazed and pays my bad manners no mind.

     “I totally understand. Well, if you need anything, your hyung will always be here for ya! You will call me hyung, right?” He waggles his eyebrows at me and gestures to Soobin, “Him too!”

     “Yeah. Sure.” Anything to get you to SHUT. UP.

     “Delightful! Soobinie give Beommie his stuff so we can go play Animal Crossing some more!” Soobin just sighs and rolls my suitcase into my room.

     “Sorry about him,” Soobin whispers, “He really is a good kid, just awfully annoying sometimes.” I just shrug and grab the handle from him. With a stiff wave I close the door and am finally alone.

     The room is small, like, really small. There's a bunk bed squished against the wall to my right, with a tiny little bathroom stuck in the farthest corner. Two desks are crammed opposite to each other, near the front door. It’s super tight, but for some reason I find it almost...charming? I’m so sick of living in excess, so I guess it’s nice for a change.

     I notice that my roommate has already taken the bottom bunk. Unfortunately, that leaves me with the top, but I suppose matters could be worse. I begin to unpack my things while listening to SuperM’s “Jopping”, relishing in my newfound freedom. Although it doesn’t take me long to put away my few belongings, I’m still exhausted. When I finally collapse on my bed it seems too good to be true.

     I just want to sleep, but for some reason my brain says no. I pull out my phone and start scrolling through Twitter mindlessly, hoping that I’ll eventually get tired and pass out. Still, my brain says no.

     “!” I throw the blankets off and get up. Maybe I should go for a walk. Checking out the campus doesn’t seem like a bad idea, especially if I’ll be there approximately 80% of my life for the next four years. I relent to my hyperactive brain and grab my earbuds. On the bright side, at least I’ll be away from the lunatics across the hall.

     As I get ready to leave, I catch my reflection in the mirror hanging on our door. I definitely look cool in my distressed black skinny jeans and red leather jacket, but I know I’m gonna get stares. It’s one of the hottest days of the summer, and I’m showing like zero skin. It’s better that way though, or else people would really have something to stare at. I play with the hem of the sleeve that pokes through the arm of the jacket, hiding the purple marks that stain my wrist. I just have to hope no one looks too hard.

     I quickly peek my head outside to see if anyone is in the general vicinity. Luckily, I can hear Yeonjun screaming something about “getting a Marshall” from his and Soobin’s room, so I know the coast is clear. I move fast, grabbing one of the bungeoppang pastries on my way out the door. I’m still shocked as the 100 degree 95% humidity heat hits me. Although, as hot as it is, the sky looks so pretty with it’s pale turquoise color offset by giant fluffy clouds. I suppose today is as fine a day as any for a walk.

     The campus is approximately ten minutes away from my place. I decide to head to what’s labelled as “West Gate” on Google Maps and wander around there. I’ve heard that Yonsei is so huge it’ll probably take me a month to see everything, but I figure the most popular location is the best place to start. Honestly, the area around the school is great. Colorful. Shops, restaurants, and food carts litter the streets, and there are so many people just going about their business that I can blend in with ease.

     As I walk through West Gate, I notice that students are already out and about mingling with each other. I’m sure many of them are reuniting after a summer away from their friends, while others--probably freshman--seem to be getting to know each other for the first time. Part of me wanted to join them, all innocent and wide-eyed, but I know myself. I avoid the crowds and keep walking.

     This place really is massive and very easy to get lost in. I try to remember the path I’m taking, but I’ll probably have to Google Maps my way out later. There are people literally everywhere, sitting on the grass and talking, taking pictures in front of buildings, etc. I spot a fountain that seems, surprisingly, vacant and decide to rest there. I gaze at the monument, admiring its tranquilizing beauty. The scene would be incredibly serene if not for the hundreds of students zooming by every second. Regardless, I feel inspired and somewhat more at ease.

     I’m not sure how much time passed before I realize it’s getting dark. The music just felt too good, the freedom unbelievable perfect. I look around me and realize the whole place has basically emptied out (people probably went to pregame, to be honest). Everything looks completely different now, too, like I’ve stepped into an entirely new reality. I’m not even sure which way is which.

     I start walking, not really worrying about where I’m going. I think I’m heading in the right general direction, but I’m not too concerned about it. Although, I definitely don’t recall walking in between these buildings. It’s super quiet here, apart from a field to my left where a bunch of boys are playing soccer. It kind of looks fun, but I’ve never been one for sports. I sigh, content and turn the volume up as my favorite ballad “Flower Road” begins to play. Despite the humidity plastering my hair to my forehead, I feel pretty happy.

     THONK!

     I spoke too soon.

     “Oh my god are you okay?” I hear a guy’s voice yell from behind me, although I’m too preoccupied with my new throbbing headache to pay it much mind. Whoever kicked the damn ball in my direction did so to effectively land me on my in the middle of the sidewalk. My damn earbuds are broken, too. Just great. I get up and start walking again, deciding it would be best to simply ignore the culprit. I’m really not in the mood for conflict tonight, and I know my big mouth will definitely cause just that. Yet, before I can get anywhere someone, annoyingly, grabs my wrist. OW.

     “Wait, please, I’m so sorry. Are you hurt anywhere?”

     “I’m fine.” I try to yank my wrist from his grasp, but he’s strong. Seriously pissed, I swivel angrily to look at the punk.

     I’m met, face to face, with a pair of big doe eyes the color of melted chocolate. A strong, proud nose graces his features that glimmer with the gentle sheen of beaded sweat on smooth skin. His hair is splayed loosely across his forehead in soft waves tousled by the slight evening breeze. I swallow, trying to ignore how his jersey sticks to the damp skin that lies beneath, and stubbornly look him straight in the eyes. Just because he’s pretty doesn’t mean he doesn’t piss me off.

     The kid hurriedly makes a quick bow and looks at me pleadingly, “Is there anything I can do? I had no idea the net had a hole in it! I would have never shot if I’d known, I promise!”

     “I said it’s fine. Just drop it, okay? Anything else you need?” I look pointedly at his grip on my wrist. Sheesh I’ll probably never see this kid again in a school this big. Why is he so persistent?

     “I just wanted to say sorry rea--wait are you from Daegu? I’d recognize Satoori anywhere!”

     Could people just leave me the hell alone about my damn accent? I make a mental note to try to make it less distinct in the future.

     “Yes, I am. Now can you please let me go?” My wrist is seriously starting to ache.

     “Oh! I’m so sorry, yeah,” he responds sheepishly, releasing my wrist from his iron grasp, “Um, you look kind of pale, dude. Aren’t you hot under all of that.” He gestures to my jacket and jeans.

     “I told you I’m fine.”

     “Kang Taehyun!” one of the guys on the field yells over to us, “Leave the poor dude alone, you’ve clearly pissed him off enough already.” Indeed.

     I start walking and don’t turn back, so I don’t see the kid’s reaction if he gave any at all. Seriously, as if this day didn’t already give me a headache in the first place, that whole interaction just made it twelve times worse.

     I kind of zone out on the walk back to the house. I chalk it up to being exhausted, but it might be a concussion coming on. I don’t really care either way at this point, I just want to shower and go to bed. I pray that I’m unbothered as I slide my key into the lock but, unfortunately, God has other plans for me tonight. Curled up on the couch with a computer half his size is a boy who looks entirely too young to be in this godforsaken building. He’s completely absorbed in whatever he’s doing, fingers typing at the speed of sound across the keyboard. I think I may be in the clear when I reach the staircase, but as my foot hits the first step a loud creak resonates throughout the room. The boy’s head shoots up, clearly startled.

     “Oh, um,” I begin intelligently, “I’m sorry for bothering you. I was just heading up to my room.” I turn to go up the stairs, but his voice calls out from behind me, halting me in my tracks.

     “You’re Beomgyu, hyung? I’ve already heard lots about you from Yeonjun hyung. He’s right you really are pretty for a boy. By the way, my name’s Huening Kai, but you can call me NingNing or Hyuka if you like.”

     HE’S A CHILD. KEEP. CALM.

     “Erm, thanks, I guess. Again, sorry for bothering you. I, uh, have to go do...something really quick. I’ll see you around I guess.” I almost trip over myself running up the stairs. No more people, please. I just want this day to end.

     Surprisingly, the room is still empty. I’m wholly relieved. I don't think I can handle anymore human interaction tonight, especially if it’s with the guy who I’ll be rooming with all year. I just need a shower and a good night’s sleep, and then, just maybe, I’ll be functional again. Speaking of, a shower sounds really good right now.

     Even though it’s almost unbearably hot outside, the scorching water makes me feel almost instantly better. The steam clears my head and makes me a little less zombified. I feel my headache slowly start to dissipate which is nice, but my wrist still seriously hurts. Although, I can’t really blame that kid, Taehyun, for it anyways; it’s not like that would have hurt any normal person. Whatever, what’s done is done. The bruises will go away in a couple days, so I won’t fret about it.

     I’m reluctant to turn off the shower, but I’m not sure if this building has a limited hot water supply. I know I’d use it all if I let myself. I quickly dry my hair with my towel and wrap it around my waist. Suddenly, I realize that I’m hungry and forgot to eat dinner, but I ignore it. I open the bathroom door and immediately get goosebumps as the cool air from the bedroom contacts my bare skin. I’ve only just gotten used to temperature change, however, when I realize that I’m not alone.

     There’s someone sitting in the swivel chair at the desk that is supposedly that of my roommate’s. So he must be my...roommate? Before I can say anything the kid spins around to face me.

     As my gaze meets those wide doe eyes for the second time today I know I am completely and utterly ed.


 

Unfamiliar Terms

*hasukjip: boarding house

*halmeoni: grandma

*bungeoppang: Korean bread pastry shaped like a fish that contains red bean filling