Chapter 5

Beneath A Pasted Smile

Chapter 5

 

The sudden silent and awkwardness surrounded the whole living room. Naeun permitted herself after the dinner and decided to check in hotel nearby. Eunji followed her outside to talk for a while and thanked her for the help. She had no idea who could drive her here immediately if Naeun wasn’t there. She was so kind too as she willed to go back to campus and bring her clothes over here again. Eunji promised she would pay Naeun back later that Naeun politely declined her said she honestly wanted to help Eunji. Before she left the apartment building, Naeun wished for Eunji’s mom quick recovery and asked Eunji to give her call anytime she needed help.

 

After she sent her little brother to bed, she walked to her living room and stared at both of them. Bomi had her leg crossed sat on the comfy couch while Chorong next to her had eyes glued on the floor probably most of the time. Not like Eunji could kick out both of them right now.

 

“Why with that stare Eunji-ya…”Bomi asked hesitated.

“You think it’s a good idea to come here visit even after I inform that I’m alright?” Eunji asked.
“Chorong Unnie…” Bomi received a sharp glare from Chorong at her side.

“You guys think ditch class for a week is a great idea as well?” Now both of them had been interrogated by Eunji who now sat on another couch across them.

“We don’t have a class until next week due to today’s competiton day.” Bomi explained herself.

“You ditch your team as well after a win?”Eunji asked Bomi more.

“Don’t worry about that I celebrated my win properly with Hayoung and her roommate before I came here.”Bomi explained again.

“Congratulation on your win Bomi-ya. You shall thank me I wasn’t during the last match. Not you even increase my burden to take care of you guys here.” Eunji smiled a little.

“Heyyy I can help you with….with taking care of your brother while you visit your mom at hospital…and…and also Chorong Unnie can cook…right unnie…right Rong Unnie?” Bomi looked at Chorong to only receive another sharp glare from Chorong.

“eung…we can help you.”Chorong sighed while her eyes still fixed on Bomi and mouthed her to shut up and stopped talk unnecessary thing.

 

Eunji had to sleep at living room on the couch so that both of them could sleep on hers. She used to felt asleep on the couch anyway since childhood right after her basketball practice at night or after went back home late night from study at friends. Half of her heart relieved that her mom condition wasn’t that bad after all but another half of her still worried because her mom had never fainted before and when she received the call her mind was so blank and she had no idea who to get help before she decided to ask Naeun for help. She hesitated at first because she not knew Naeun that well to reach her but Naeun looked so sincere and she could never rejected anyway.

 

Clocks showed sharp at 12am but Eunji still fully awake on the couch and even though she kept changed her laid position almost for the 50th times she still had her eyes on, stared the ceiling like it could help her sleep in a minute. Then she started to count the sheep until the hundreds, unfortunately her mind still couldn’t shut off. She woke up with a low sigh, walked to the fridge at the kitchen and took out 2 cans of beer and put it on counter while drink a sip of plain water. Not long after she heard slow footsteps came from her room and walked toward her. Eunji took out another 2 cans of beer from the fridge and smiled at the person who now stood in front of her.

 

“You wanna follow me?”Eunji asked while handed her the 2 cans of beer and hold another 2 cans of beer in her another hand.

“To your hideous?” The person asked back.

“You remember?”

“Isnt it quite cold right now?”

“Put your jacket on.” Eunji said while she’s wearing hers.

 

A minute later, Chorong came back to her with her jacket on the sweats, they put on their shoes and went out. Eunji leaded Chorong to the staircase and went upstairs to the rooftop. The wind lightly brushed on their faces, cold and empty, Chorong followed Eunji to one and only decorated square woody bench and took a seat there. Chorong looked up at the beautiful sky with the counted shining stars and she instantly smiled at what she had seen. No wonder this was Eunji’s favorite hideous. She imagined little Eunji probably ran here from her parents after been scolded or might secretly eat her late night snacks without her parent’s permission. Just like how Eunji used to tell her before.

 

“Its beautiful…”Chorong had her eyes still fixed on the sky.

“Wait…you will be more surprise!” Eunji stood and walked to the corner and switched on the light.

 

The colorful neon lights that surrounded every corner of the rooftop made Chorong’s eyes widen. She couldn’t close as she looked around and there’s another circle of neon’s lights right above her head with a love and cloud shape. Chorong couldn’t lied this things fluttered her.

 

“I dont lie when I say I am into decorating.” Eunji said and quickly took a seat next to Chorong.

“You are the one doing all of these?”Chorong asked in awed.

“Jieun help me a little. The love is her and the cloud is mine.” Eunji smiled.

“You guys must hang out a lot here since child…” Chorong fidgeted her feet.

“Jieun and I used to sing here a lot when I need to borrow her guitar.” Eunji fixed her eyes on the sky.

“She must be sad that you ditch her alone in music department when you choose law.”

“She did and she sulked for the whole month before our first year.” Eunji giggled when she reminded of how many times she had to make up with Jieun as she broken their promise to further music together. Not like she hated music. She loved music so much than anything. She loved composed too. She had her passion on it. But to think that she’s not that fortunate in terms of wealth like Jieun and she had to raise her family when her father stopped working in future, she started to have another interest toward law and dreamed to be one of the best prosecutor someday.

“I envy you guys...” Chorong admitted.

“You had Bomi…she’s the best one...and I envy you too.”Eunji said and they looked at each other before laughed when they reminded of any of Bomi’s antics.

 

Eunji laid and rested herself on the wide bench while Chorong copied and laid close next to Eunji. They had their eyes fixed on the sky while Eunji hummed a song softly that made Chorong fidgeted herself closer and closer against Eunji’s body until there’s zero space between them.

 

“Eunji…”

“urmmm?”                                                                             

“I love you…” Chorong confessed.

“LOVE is a strong word.” Eunji voiced.

“I’m sorry…I shouldn’t leave you…” Chorong closed to tears.

“No Chorong…You never leave me…You are here…With me right now.” Now Eunji had her eyes on Chorong. She really didn’t know what to do and froze at her place when she looked at Chorong cried next to her. So close. Too close for her to ignore her. Too close for her to not comfort her. They were way too close for her to refrain herself from hug and kiss Chorong right now at this moment.

“Eunji…I’m sorry…I thought…I thought we were just too quick and rush into our relationship…and I thought I wasn’t ready to fall in love with you…I knew after all of these…You are way too good…too great…that…that sometimes I felt I wasn’t enough for you…I wasn’t for you.” Chorong cried and that took a second for Eunji to hug the person next to her tightly and let her cried, buried in her chest.

“You have to know that you are the only one I wanna be with my entire life.” Eunji confessed and kissed Chorong’s forehead before smiled and wiped Chorong’s tears.

 

Its not like any other steamy night they had when they dated, not like their awkward first kiss from that night or not like the other cold days they had gone through together. It just a night where Chorong wanted to be in Eunji’s arm, hug her tightly and kiss her cold lips. In fact, this was one of the night she wouldn’t forget in her life. The night where she could tell Eunji everything she held in her heart all this time, the night where Eunji didn’t leave her alone and told her everything was alright and would be alright and the night where their heart found the way out of misery until the day their heart could be one again. Even not today but perhaps, Someday.              

 

Few months passed, with busy and hectic days they rarely hanged out with each other. Chorong was doubled busy with her final year tests, assignments, reports and all. Most of the times, she had her faced on books, studied at her favorite café’s spot until evening and there’s also times she had been forced by Hayoung to have lunch or dinner together with her roommates which Chorong was probably sure Namjoo had internally sick with her appearance everytime she was with Hayoung. Chorong had to pretend she didn’t see all those little skinship Hayoung shared with Namjoo in their room, during the meals and also there’s one day she saw Namjoo pecked a kiss on Hayoung’s cheek.

 

Chorong loved Namjoo as much as she loved Hayoung. In Chorong’s eyes, both of them made a cute couple. Not like Chorong encouraged the ship when she herself kept warned Hayoung to not make any love before Hayoung started college. But she saw no hurt to make the couple sailed itself. As for Bomi, she not frequently disturbed Chorong anymore like her any other days. Bomi only came a few times to her room to have a little chit chat when they were bored or sometimes she dragged Eunji’s to listen to her new horror story at night and eventually all of them fallen sleep in one place together out of scared. Bomi was so cute and bubbly always. She’s a keeper.

 

Eunji, otherwise, she smiled a lot recently. She looked brighter than usual. Everyone was so aware on what happened between Eunji and Chorong as they could be sometimes found together at lunch, a quick meet at library between classes, exchanged sweats, caps and also that squishy eye contact in between talks. Chorong denied that she and Eunji were back together and kept telling everyone they were just friend and she wanted to start everything again as friend while Eunji in another hand, she just smiled at any Bomi and Hayoung curious questions. Eunji relieved enough knowing that she still had a chance with Chorong and Chorong still had her in her heart.

 

Time passed, summer break was coming near around the corner. It was all Hayoung and Namjoo planned after all. She collected all her close Unnies and briefed her idea beforehand. Of course she told Bomi first and she needed Bomi less than a second and suddenly Bomi had been announced as their captain for the trip that Hayoung and Namjoo initially planned. Hayoung had hard times to meet Eunji in the middle of the classes but Eunji just nodded right away after Hayoung told alchohol’s included. Meanwhile, Moonbyul and Solar declined as they already planned another sweet trip during the breaks and Jieun had to do something music related during the breaks.

 

“Jeong Eunji!” Bomi called and reached Eunji.

“Its rare of you to call me by full name.” Eunji nudged Bomi’s elbow as soon as Bomi sat next to her.

“urmmm…can you help me with something?” Bomi showed her cat eyes which then Eunji squealed.

“Where’s your Park Chorong? Isnt her your favorite person?” Eunji teased in an envy voice.

“No…you are still my number one best friend!” Bomi strengthen her voice at number one.

“Well…what is it?” Eunji asked.

“Your friend…that time…”Bomi hesitated.

“Which friend?”

“The pretty one…you met at club…that drive us to yours…”Bomi muttered in tense.

“Ohhh…son naeun?”

“Ahhh…yes I forgot her name…”Bomi grinned.

“Why with her?” Eunji asked curious.

“Nothing…just I need your help…can…can you invite her together?”Bomi requested.

“To the trip?”Bomi nodded.

“Don’t tell me…” Eunji word cut.

“No…I just wanna befriend her. She looks nice and kind.”Bomi confessed.

“So what shall I tell her the reason? That someone I know really wel have a crush on her…or the trip need her as the frontline so that we will not chase out from the resort as some troublesome kids like last time when we caught sneaked out to vip breakfast course and one of the staff found us in bikini at night pool although we had been told its forbidden?”Eunji giggled.
“Wow but I like the second reason.” Bomi patted Eunji’s shoulder and laughed.

 

Now the problem was Park Chorong. She declined the idea of the trip as well. Not only because she busied with her things, but the fact that she had to cover up all the mess that Eunji and Bomi made last summer and she had enough. Even though she had Jieun at her sides, Moonbyul and Solar wont help at that times. She looked like a single mom who dragged all the members went out from the resort as soon as they had been warned. Now, added her troublesome little sister, Oh Hayoung, the biggest mess and she could never imagine how huge the mess would step on her if she’s agreed. Hayoung had been begged her for almost like a month until a week before the trip.

 

“Rong Unnie…”Hayoung kneeled in front of Chorong’s bed.

“Once again…you coming here I’m ignoring you!” Chorong warned her.

“Unnie…”Hayoung still begged.

“I say…once again…” Chorong words got cut.

“Fine…You better not asking me if anything happen to Eunji Unnie.”Hayoung threated.

“She’s grown up. She better clean up her own mess if she makes one.”Chorong countered.

“Fine…And don’t get jealous if you found us selfie in a high class resort.” Hayoung almost stood up.

“Don’t dreaming…”Chorong rolled her eyes.

“Its true. Wait…no one telling you this trip will be a high class one?” Hayoung asked.

“If its true, I still wont go. You guys will either end up being chased away or overnight in a jail together.” Chorong said while massaged her head.

“I promise you I’ll behave this time! OR no more drag you out for dinner anymore!” Hayoung shouted.

“Still NO Oh Hayoung!” Chorong almost shouted too.

“Ok…fine…but don’t mad if you find someone’s y, pretty and gorgeous may…be Eunji’s roommate this time.” Hayoung talked in a very low voice to the point she sounded like she whispered evilly to Chorong’s damn ear.

“I don’t care.” Chorong pretended.

“Even she’s Naeun?” Hayoung threated her again and Chorong silent for a long moment.

“Well…well…we even haven’t arranged the pair for the roommate yet.” Hayoung teased and giggled before she went out from the room.

 

Chorong pretended she was asleep when she heard someone entered the room. She secretly scanned Eunji who threw away her denim jacket on side which left her with her white shirts on and shorts. She smelled a little bit of alcohol with her still fine mid hair braced lovely on her shoulder and her hand still on phone looked like she’s texted someone. She smiled brightly at her phone every time she received the text. Not like any other passed days, but recently Eunji came home more like human even she’s still smelled reeked with alcohol. Its true she made up with Chorong but they had made everyone believe they were just friend. Not more than that.

 

“You don’t have to bury yourself in the blanket if you look at me like you wanna eat me. Nobody cannot notice that glare.” Eunji teased while her eyes still on phone.
 

“You don’t have to smile that bright over some text too.” Chorong countered.

“At least the person I text with doesn’t feel she’s about dead with my smile.” Eunji countered back.

“Naeun?”Chorong suddenly came out with name which then Eunji put away her phone and eyed Chorong.

“That obvious?” Eunji tilted her head.

“You don’t have much friend that can make you smile that bright.” Chorong answered.

“Well you can guess Bomi…” Eunji words cut off.

“Bomi not your buddy club anyway.” Chorong shoot.

Eunji just smiled at the mark and ready herself to sleep.

“Eunji…”Chorong called her again after a very long moment of silent.

“Hayoung told me you asked Naeun to join the summer trip.” Eunji still kept silent.

“Why?I mean…urmmm…are you guys that close?” Chorong asked again as if she knew Eunji still not felt asleep yet and she heard her.

“I…just…you know I know Naeun’s good but don’t you think she’s not that close with the others?” Chorong sighed when she heard nothing from Eunji.

“It will make everyone uncomfortable and…” Chorong paused when she saw Eunji sat up and looked at her.

“Nobody’s uncomfortable. I ask everyone before I invite Naeun. Naeun too…she’s sound happy when I tell her about the summer trip. I am sure everyone will have fun.” Eunji explained.

“You haven’t asked me yet.” Chorong looked at Eunji’s eyes back.

“No one tell me you are going…”
 

“I will going to the trip…I just decided now.” Chorong said with stern voice and Eunji smiled at her.

“Hayoung will be the happiest girl right now if she heard this!” Eunji smiled even brighter.

 

 


 

 

 

I have to end this fic earlier than i planned. I will start work tomorrow after the 2 months lockdown. In fact, I already finished my final chapter.

I hope you guys like this chapter as well. Feel free to comment below. :)