Chapter 4

Beneath A Pasted Smile

Chapter 4

 

The campus had not been as hectic as today. Most of students were too focused on what sport match they wanted to watch, which team they went to support and most importantly for the players who would win the competitions today. A few girls were in cheerleading’s attire cheered for their favorite team, some guys fist bump each other betted on whoever lose the bet had to buy today’s dinner and there’s group of other students from other campus as well. The professors and couches could be found at certain match supported their students with none of them wore those boring glasses and books on hands anymore and some of them bought the drinks for the players as well.

 

Today, Chorong wore herself in her usual sweats and blue skinny jeans and waited for her little sister to watch Bomi’s match. Not only Bomi but Hayoung too kept reminded her about this day like she ever forgot to attend any of Bomi’s important days in her entire life. Basketball’s match especially. 

 

“Rong Unnie…” Hayoung walked in hand with her roommates toward her.

“Hi Chorong Unnie!” The girl who purposely wore matching color shirt with Hayoung, greeted her brightly with their fingers still intertwined.

“Hi Namjoo. Tell me if Hayoung try to force you to watch today’s match.” Chorong teased.

“No…no! I really want to join you guys today. Hayoung say there’s a lot of good food too today’s right?” Namjoo smiled brightly at both of them.

“Yes…there’s a lot of good food to eat and also a lot of hot students as well!” Hayoung shouted.

“Hayoung-ah…stop talking unnecessary things.” Chorong warned her while they walked.

“I’m NOT! I swear you will drolling while watching all the basketball players. They are freaking HOT!” Hayoung excited.
“Included Bomi Unnie?” Namjoo guessed.

“She’s hot too but I swear you will fall on your knees when you see Chorong Unnie’s roommate!” Hayoung stated.

“Really?” Namjoo asked Chorong with her curious eyes.

“No…Hayoung exaggerated.” Chorong replied while slapped Hayoung’s shoulder lightly.

“Unnie buy us food for a week, if Namjoo agree with me later.” Hayoung bet.

“Look like I’ll have extra money at the end of this semester.” Chorong talked with her confident voice and three of them laughed at the mark.

 

Destined to match together, Business and Law Department team had been rumored as the rivals since few years ago that they fated to meet every year at final match. Its not like Chorong had a choice anyway to choose any team she like since both of team consisted someone she favored. Last year she had to see Bomi team lost behind a few points due to Eunji’s final shoots scored. She had to neglect Eunji for a while to comfort Bomi who still sulked and cried on her shoulder for a week straight. Bomi was fierce and confident during the match but she’s just a soft kid out of match. Eunji’s otherwise she’s the ace people talked about during the match that no one could fight her.

 

As three of them took a front row seat right behind Bomi’s team, Hayoung handed over her cheese sausages to Namjoo who looks like she was fond toward the food than the match itself. She even looks brighter everytime Hayoung made a silly joke that no one will laughed at only Namjoo.

 

“There…BOMI UNNIE!”Hayoung shouted and waved at Bomi from far as Bomi’s team entered the court. Chorong instantly look at the other side of the court and found Eunji and her team as well.

“Whoaaa…You guys are here. Thank you for coming.” Bomi said before she took her seat with her team warmed up herself.

 

The loud cheered from both team filled the entire court and it took Chorong and Eunji few seconds of eye contact before Eunji looked at Hayoung and smiled at her. Hayoung waved at Eunji while mouthed good luck to her. Hayoung looked like she had been killed by the stares from Eunji’s fans behind the seat and few of them started whispered to each other. She had to nudge Hayoung’s elbow to make sure her sister behaved herself and focus on the match instead. The second she did that, she glanced over Eunji from side to only see Eunji took out her outer sweater and stretched her muscles on the floor left with only her sleeveless jersey and shorts. Oh my God. She’s something.

 

During the whole match, Chorong couldn’t think straight as she only had her eyes on Eunji the entire time as if Hayoung and Namjoo couldn’t notice that Chorong coughed a few times every time Bomi accidentally pushed Eunji on the floor. Like second after, Bomi hug Eunji tightly and Eunji patted her as it they weren’t rivals. Chorong looked so nervous and had her hand clasped, silently prayed for Eunji while still cheered on Bomi’s team. Not like she complaining, she love to see Eunji like this and Bomi’s play wasn’t bad either. She’s a good player. She’s as determined as Eunji. But one thing for sure, Eunji had her by heart. Always.

 

“Yaaa…are you sure you cheer for me? I see you scream everytime Eunji’s score.” Bomi pouted and came toward three of them after a half time. Eunji’s team leaded a few points ahead.

“At least we aren’t as worst as Chorong Unnie. She look like she’s about to melt here.”Namjoo laughed at Hayoung’s remark.
“Is Eunji that hot?” Bomi teased.

“As hell!” Namjoo shouted.

“Right…I told you. I had eyes for good things. She’s sweet too. She took Bomi Unnie and me to the best arcade in town last time, bought us coins and treated us at the best restaurant as well. She’s good at game and…singing too. I wish I can find someone sweet and kind like her.” Hayoung smiled.

“You are just using her for your good sake Hayoung-ah” Chorong rolled her eyes.

“But she’s now my 2nd favorite person after Bomi Unnie.” Hayoung stated.

“I’m third?” Chorong glared at Hayoung.

“No…Namjoo third! Rong Unnie Out Of League!” Hayoung teased.

“Yaaa…Hayoung-ah!!!” Chorong shouted. Three of them laughed out loud before Bomi had to go back to their team before they started another half time of the match.

 

At the same time, at the other side of the court, Eunji came toward someone who looked familiar again in her eyes. She eventually made an eye contact as soon as the person entered the court in the middle of the game. The person wore something casual than Eunji used to see.

 

“Hi…I thought you aren’t coming….and you are alone again?” Eunji asked.

“Yeah…I drive here just to see you. I never thought you are really this great at basketball .”

“So you think I’m good at what Naeun-ah?”Eunji asked playfully.

“At…getting girls?” Naeun teased.

“Ahhaaa…I’m good at that too!” Eunji laughed and eyed Chorong secretly from sides.

 

Chorong looks extra beautiful today as if they had a plan to date together after. But that’s all what Eunji’s imagined. She could never talked, hug and kissed Chorong like the back days when they dated. Chorong looks like she had no problem broken up with Eunji and left her in misery. Eunji looked at Chorong from far with Bomi, Hayoung and her roommates. She still had her pretty laugh at Bomi antics, cute pouty mouth at Hayoung tease and lovely eyes for everyone to adore. Sometimes Eunji felt that she’s not belong to them. Not deserved the happiness with any of them. And most importantly she felt lonely without Chorong’s love.

 

Her mind had been interrupted by the call she received on her phone. She quickly answered it and went out of the court immediately, barely enough to let her couch know that she had an emergency to attend and left the match. She texted Naeun after she changed her outfits.

 

The 2nd half of the match started. To everyone surprise Eunji wasn’t there. Not even after 15 minutes game started. Every supporter whispered to each other about Eunji’s sudden disappearance. Bomi came to Chorong right after a short break. Chorong couldn’t even hide her worriedness all over her face with her phone still in her hand. She tried texted Eunji but no reply. She called her few times only to receive a voice mail box. Bomi came and told the same thing. Eunji never left a match. She’s practiced hard for the games and if she ever ditched the match, it means something really happened to her. Chorong about to leave her seat right after the final weasel sounded and Bomi’s team won.

 

“I ask Eunji’s couch and he say Eunji receive an emergency call and have to leave.” Bomi stated.

“Did something happened? Did her couch knew anything?”Hayoung asked worried.

“Unfortunately he also don’t know. But he say Eunji have a worry look on her face.” Bomi replied.

“I need to go to dorms.”Chorong stood up and walked away.

“But…we had promise to eat together if Bomi Unnie win…” Hayoung slowly muttered her words.

“That’s okay…Hayoung-ah. You know what, I owe Eunji a lot every time her teams win” Bomi said.

“What is it?” Namjoo asked curiously.

“urmmm…actually Chorong and Eunji used to date each other last semester and they broke up before last spring break. Eunji won match a lot of times against us and Chorong always had to abandon Eunji and comforted me at least for a week. This time Eunji can have Chorong. And…its okay right if only three of us celebrate my win?” Bomi reassured them.

“Sure! I hope Chorong Unnie can reach Eunji Unnie soon.” Namjoo clasped her hand.

“But why did they break up?” Hayoung asked suddenly.

“Chorong…she decided to end their relationship…and until now nobody knows why she did that.”Bomi explained.

“Chorong Unnie? Wait…if she’s the one who asked to end their relationship why did she cry all days in her room like she’s the one who had been left behind.” Hayoung eyebrows curved as she asked.

“That is why the things are complicated Hayoung-ah…nobody knows why…”Bomi sighed.

“Anyway…will your team let you go away to us so that we can celebrate your win?” Namjoo asked.

“Of Course!!!” Bomi shouted. “Lets Go Guys! I’m hungry already.”

 

As Chorong reached the doorknob of her room, she quickly scanned around. There were still Eunji’s things left here, her clothes in her wardrobe untouched, her books on the table still messed like how she left the place in the morning. While Chorong stabled her breath and rearranged Eunji’s messy place she looked at her phone often. But nothing could stop her from worry as she got no reply at all and Eunji didn’t answered her call even after she left her message at the voice mail box. Chorong only could think anything worst right now because she knew Eunji well. She knew Eunji would still reply or answered her call even she’s mad at her and even they had broken up.

 

Chorong’s phone vibrated and she quickly read the text.

‘Have you try to call Jieun? She’s at her most of the time.’

Bomi send a text to Chorong in the middle.

‘I already called Jieun. She also had no idea.’

Chorong replied.

‘I send texts to her few other friends. They also had no idea.’

Bomi was so sure Chorong dead worry right now.

‘Her clothes and things were untouched here. Bomi…how if?’

Chorong neared to cry.

‘No don’t overthinking. I am sure she’s safe. Just wait for her. Remember, she’s not that fool. ’

Bomi tried to calm Chorong over the text.

 

After few hours later, Chorong got a call from Jieun.

“Eunji just called me. She asked me to bring her clothes over.”

“Where is she? What happen to her?” Chorong asked in her worry tone.

“She’s back in her hometown. Something happened to her family.” Jieun said.

“I’ll bring her clothes to you. But are you going there? Her hometown?” Chorong asked again.

“No…actually she asked me to keep it secret especially from you and Bomi as she knew Bomi’s team won and you guys had to celebrate with her so…”Jieun words cut by Chorong.

“Are you going there?”

“No…she doesn’t let me either. She doesn’t want anyone to worry about her.” Jieun replied.

“So whose gonna bring her clothes over?” Chorong asked.

“There’s here this girl…Eunji’s friend…she’s the one who sent Eunji to her hometown and back here to mine as to bring Eunji’s clothes over to her back in Busan.”Jieun explained carefully.

 

Not long after, there’s a knock on her door. Chorong walked over and saw a tall figure stood in front of her door and she was sure enough she might saw her somewhere else before. The latter in her long wavy hair, fit denim ankle pants, latest fashionable jacket that most of the student here had to empty their stomach for a month just to own that with her fancy heels that none of the student here would wearing something like this. At one look, she’s straight look like a model. It made Chorong’s uneasy at the fact Eunji had this gorgeous kind of friend. A friend who Eunji wouldn’t mind telling her secret and a friend who Eunji reached first at emergency.

 

“So…you are Eunji’s friend?”Chorong asked in her low voice and invited her inside.

“Yes…Naeun…my name is Son Naeun.” Naeun introduced herself.

“Ah…I thought I saw you before…but maybe I’m mistakenly you with someone else.”

“You are…Chorong right?” Naeun asked hesitated.

“Yes…Jieun told you?” Chorong asked back.

“No…” Naeun words cut by a text on her phone.

 

Naeun had to call someone for a moment and went out the room. Chorong still not over the fact that Eunji and this Naeun befriend each other and suddenly her jealousy arouse her. If not Jieun told this Naeun about her, Eunji was the one who told Naeun about her or might also told this Naeun about her other friends, secrets and everything. Not to mention Chorong thought ,Naeun’s visual wasn’t on par with her at all and who was Chorong to complain about someone she asked to break up with to date anyone this gorgeous. After all, Eunji deserved anyone. But Chorong pretended to not care about whatever relationship was going on between this two and decided to visit Eunji together.

 

“I’ll get scold by her later.” Bomi scratched her head.
“Just tell her you are the one who ask me to go with you visit her.” Chorong whispered on their way to Naeun’s car.

“Why me? If anything we knew she’s good anyway.” Bomi whispered back at Chorong’s ear.

“Eunji must be lucky to have friends like you guys.” Naeun said as she started the engine’s car.

“What happened to her family?”Chorong asked.

“I’m good at keeping secret. Ask her yourself later.”Naeun said in casual tone.

“How do you know Eunji?”Bomi asked curious. As she knew she had never seen her before as Eunji’s friend. To be more exact, Naeun wasn’t close to Eunji’s type. She knew everything about Eunji’s friend but for Eunji to own this kind of beautiful friend who she reached first during an emergency was kind of mystery itself. Not even Jieun. Not even herself and not even Chorong she asked for.  

“Club.” Naeun answered short.

“The gay club?”Bomi asked again.

“I’m regular there. We meet several times.” Naeun replied.

“Are you guys…?”Bomi asked in her low voice as if Chorong at the back seat wouldn’t hear her.

“I was there at your games…Eunji invited me.” Naeun changed the topic out of sudden.

 

It made Chorong frustrated at how Naeun avoided to answer the question and close to heartbreak at the fact Eunji invited this Naeun to see her match. She remembered really well that Eunji never invited any of her close friend either to see her match and Chorong had to make the same ‘I’m going to watch Bomi’ excuse everytime she wanted to watched Eunji’s match. And now she invited this Naeun and even asked her for help. The way Naeun dodged every Bomi’s question about how well she knew Eunji is eaten Chorong slowly. Naeun wasn’t just about visual, her manner was great, her education and knowledge was surprisingly amazing and she rich too. She was close to perfect.

 

A four hour drive, finally they arrived at Eunji’s. As they entered the apartment building, reached in front of Eunji’s door, Naeun pressed the button. A few minutes later, a middle school boy opened the door and welcomed them inside. They just been informed by her little brother she’s out for a while.

 

Not long after, they heard the doorbell and as soon as Eunji inside her house, Bomi ran toward and hug her tightly.

 

“Are you alright Eunji? What happened actually?”Bomi asked.

“I cant remember telling Naeun to bring other than my clothes.” Eunji teased Bomi before she realized that Chorong was there too. Eunji glared to Naeun for an explanation.

“Cant you just thank me?” Naeun smiled a little while tilted her head.

“There’s nothing. My mom was suddenly fainted, she had been admitted to hospital and you know my dad was overseas right so I had to take care of my mom and also this little silly.” Eunji hug her little brother. Bomi hug both of them and smile in relieved.

 

 


 

 

 

Sorry for the late update. I hope you guys like this chapter as well. Enjoy :)