Chapter 2

Beneath A Pasted Smile

Chapter 2

 

Books and coffee. Combining the two in a place, a quiet and a calm space, relaxing decoration with a  few of motivation words hanging on the brick walls, sound edgy but most likely reserved by bookworms or rather introverts who need own spaces especially at the most hideous 2nd floor.

 

 

Confirmed as her favorite place to finish her assignments and not that she abandoned the library but most probably the number of people visited here less than any of other study places. Hook’s Café literally located somehow a little bit far and hideous from the campus itself but still Chorong’s favorite spot after her room herself. Not that difficult to find Chorong anytime since she could only be found reading or typing anything with her focused eyes on her mac and a cup of brewed coffee next to her at the 2nd floor, last row of the shelves in her comfortable sweats.

 

 

She stopped scanned the thick books in her hand when the footsteps came nearer.

“Ronggg!” Bomi called her in high tone.

“Bomi-ah, anything you mess up again?” teased Chorong.

“Nooo! Just to make sure you remember my competition is in a month and how dare you not coming visiting my practice even once. Hayoung did better than you. She even bought me my favorite bread every after my practices.” Bomi complained.

“Of course I remember the date. You know I have to hand over all reports by this week right. Alright I promise if I have free time, I’ll come to see you practice.” Chorong made a pinky promise.

“Its just a friendly match between the department after all but you know how my team always lack behind right. We need your appearance support.” Bomi grinned.

“Fool what an ‘appearance support’? Anyway since I decided to neglect my own department I’ll coming over this Sunday for what you call again? ‘appearance support’? You better practicing well since my ‘appearance support’ means a lot” Chorong giggled and patted bomi’s head.

“Assa!  And don’t forget you can bring my favorite bread as well.” Bomi winked.

 

-

Its not like any other empty weekend but today there’s a lot of students in campus and most of them were in sport attires practiced whatsoever match they were in. Last match Chorong’s remembered she joined was in summer, her 1st year, wore a tennis skirt, practiced every weekend and actually won the final match before she decided not to join any match in her 2nd year. It all started when she saw someone in shorts and sleeveless basketball jersey  with toned up arm muscle, hair in ponytail, glittering eyes and bright smiles when she shoot her free throw easily before they made eye contact.

 

 

Speak of the devils, she almost stumbled her feet when she entered the court and saw the same familiar figure. Of course she failed not to make any eye contact again. She quickly took a seat but lucky not on her side as all the back seats filled with 1st year students  who still cheered out loud.

“I cant remember I tell you any of my practice’s schedule.” The latter came toward her while wiped her sweats.

“I’m waiting for Bomi…”

“As if…Bomi not telling you her team practicing in late evening?”

“Cant I just watching anyone I want?”

“Yes you can but not with the team you ex are in…right?” Eunji snickered and continued the practice.

Not that she could leave the seat or threw a punch in someone’s face right now. She hated herself now more than the latter. She always knew its never a good idea to watch this team practiced the game but half of herself always wanted to watch her. Always.

“Ronggg Unnieee!” Hayoung came with Bomi at her side and ran toward her sister.

They came right after Eunji’s practice ended. From far she could see Bomi hug Eunji tightly and both of them smile brightly at each other. Bomi made some silly jokes that Eunji laughed at so loud while walked toward Hayoung and her at the seat.

“Woahhh…so you are the ace that people talk about? You definitely have a lot of fans as well.” Hayoung in awed while she glanced at few of the 1st year in a back seat row.

“Who tell you such thing?” Eunji laughed. “By the way you are…Oh Hayoung?” Eunji asked.

“Yes, your roommate’s adopted little sister.” Hayoung grinned widely and shook Eunji’s hand.

“I’ve heard a lot of naughty things about you…but you seem far away better in person Hayoung-ah…” Eunji patted Hayoung’s head made Hayoung squished in shy.   

“Don’t trust Rong Unnie. She’s lying sometimes. Who in the world have to study 24 hours and not mingle with anyone.” Hayoung nudged Chorong before she received the sharp glare from her sister.

“I already like you. Like Bomi said…you are totally different.” Eunji laughed.

“Right…Rong Unnie also tell me not to fall in love with anyone here because its impossible.” Hayoung whispered. “Not like I am ugly or what.” Hayoung pouted.

“Yaaa…Hayoung! When did I say those words?” Chorong snapped.

“Don’t pretend like I don’t see you crying all days in your room during the last break and you keep saying those words unnie.” Hayoung backed up herself.

“It looks like a siblings war will start sooner. How if everyone take a seat and watch me practice? Guys? Guys?” Bomi retreated.

“I’ve to go. Meet yall later.” Eunji smiled, patted Hayoung and hug Bomi lightly before went out.

 

-

Chorong almost jumped out herself as she entered her room after the dinner with Hayoung and Bomi at the cafeteria nearby. Not like she hated what she saw but Eunji in her short pajamas, hair in bun  on her seat study her law books was somehow rare to see especially at nights.

“Have you eat dinner?” Chorong tried to start the conversation.

Not moving from her seat or even looked at Chorong she replied, “I’ll have ramyeon later.”

“You know your stomach disregard you every morning and you should eat proper dinner.”

“I’ll go toilet later than you in the morning if its disturbing you that much.”

“Its not…”

Eunji cut, “Then what it is?” Eunji looked at Chorong in her eyes.

“I care about you Eunji…”

“Really? Care enough to tell me why you decided to end our relationship?”

“Or…don’t tell me you mean it when you say you aint into girls?” Eunji retreated. She closed her book and stared into Chorong’s eyes deeply.

“Come on you are really bad at lying Park Chorong.” Eunji talked again as she heard nothing from Chorong who had her back against the wall sat timidly on her own bed.

“Eunji…” Whatever words she planned to mutter out had been cut off by the soft peck on her wet lips. Little did everyone knew last thing Chorong wished was Eunji did not pulled away too quick and let the kiss lasted more than 3 seconds. 

“No. Don’t say anything that will hurt me. Give the real reason when you are ready.” Eunji climbed off her own bed, spread the comforter on herself and shut her eyes off to sleep.

 

-

As if evening schedules not packed enough with her basketball practice, she had to loose herself on every night weekend in a night club. One thing nicest about Itaewon was the gay club. She had explored Hongdae enough not to find as edgy as this club in Itaewon. The pack was lesser than any other club in Hongdae and the mood was just right for Eunji. She wished she found this club sooner than ever when she spotted that attractive regular sat at the corner alone with her drink. The tight black dress fitted her perfectly with her black wavy long hair.

Eunji reached her “Hey…alone again?”

“Hey…you again? With your friends?” The pretty asked.

“Yeah…right there.” Eunji pointed out her friends in a crowd.

“You dont bring your cute girlfriend tonight?” The pretty asked her again in curious tone.

“No…urmmm I plan to loose myself a little bit.” Eunji grinned. No never. She could never admit to anyone that she and Chorong had been broken up after the final last semester. It was never her idea after all. Chorong decided herself to end up their one year relationship while she still in love with her. Even she had to live in denial, believed there’s still love between them that’s not enough to convinced her close friend herself that they were in fact ended.

“Are you alright Eunji?” The latter voice interrupted her.

“Yeah I’m alright. By the way what’s your name again? I’m sorry meeting someone more than couple times doesn’t even help me to remember names that quick.” Eunji scratched her head.

“Naeun…Son Naeun.” She smiled gracefully.

“Ah Naeun…pretty face with a pretty name.” Eunji put her glass next to Naeun’s empty glass.

“I see hot kids here are mostly from your campus. What are your major ?” Naeun asked.

“Not that serious…but law.” Eunji smiled.

“What?”

“Yeah…and you? You clearly aint from our campus, I have never see you around.”

“Yes my dad send me on private one. Its worth anyway I get to learn what I love. Its art.”

“It suit you anyway. You yourself already an art.” Eunji smiled brightly.

“Ah…is this how you get your girlfriend?” Naeun teased.

“Is that obvious?” Eunji laughed. She added the drink in her glass as they talked further.

 

-

As soon as the door opened, she stumbled over her feet for the very third times. She ignored the sharp glare from her roommates, took out her leather jackets and changed her dirty shirt to sleepwear and climbed her own bed. She’s about to sleep when her phone vibrated.

‘Good Night Eunji’

‘Good Night Naeunnie” Eunji replied the text.

Her phone vibrated again but this time from different person.

‘We need to talk later. But…good night.’

Eunji didn’t have to reply the text instead she said in her low voice “Good Night Chorong.”

 

 


 

 

I hope you like the chapter 2 as well. Chapter 3 might be a little bit longer. My rusty brain had been washed after 3 years I stopped writing. Enjoy the fic :)