Chapter 08

Tale of the Hummingbird

    I must admit, though. The food in the Capitol was indeed marvellous. I have no idea why, but the way I see our 's—not only Nako, but all of District Seven's, dressing leaves a bad impression onto what kind of food the Capitol has. Turns out I'm wrong. But one thing's for sure. The arena isn't anything like that. 

 

    Once I finished eating my meal, I instantly took away my utensils as I sat back down on the chair, slightly slouching. I was planning to go back up my room, shut the door, lock it, and cry myself to sleep. But as I was rising up from my chair, Nako intervened. 

 

    “Nuh-uh-uh!” she speaks to me, saying 'no' using her pointed finger. Her nails were painted bright green. Something that didn't really go well together with the dress she's wearing. “Why?” I simply asked, sitting back down onto my seat. I see Jeongin looking at me. Probably wondering why I was so annoyed. Simple. I hate the games. I hate dying at such a young age. I mean, who would be, right? 

 

    “Because, you're about to meet your new Avox!” Nako exclaimed excitedly, though Seulgi on the other hand didn't seem as thrilled as our . “I mean, wouldn't that be great?” she added. Avox. A person who has been punished for being a rebel against the Capitol; a traitor or a deserter, probably captured by the Capitol and usually cuts their tongues, rendering them mute. I wondered who'll be my Avox this time. And who'll be Jeongin's. 

 

    Suddenly, the golden doors open. It wasn't creaky like at District Seven, it was rather flawless. The metallic door contacting the flawless, white floor was music in the ears. “Ah. Just in time!” squeals Nako. There wasn't anything to be thrilled at, really. I don't get why Nako is so excited about us, District Tributes, meeting our Avoxes. It's not like we can directly communicate with them. Hell, we're not even allowed to talk nor show some sense of familiarity with these Avoxes. It's punishable. The last thing tributes would want is to become Avoxes, themselves. If anything, we should pity them. They were the ones who got their tongues cut off, making them mute. 

 

    Nako stood up, Seulgi tailing behind her. They both made Jeongin and I stand up on our seats and face our so-called Avoxes. They were in red uniforms, both were girls. Well, goodluck dealing with that, Jeongin! The two of them had red fabric wrapped around their mouths. It serves as a facemask, I reckoned, though I have no idea what's the use of the red cloth. They're mute so why would their mouths be covered, anyways? Our grinned at the both of us, almost looking like a maniac—I mean, most Capitol people are, it's just that Nako's slightly affable than the others. I glanced at the Avox in front of me. She looked a bit familiar. But I shrugged it off. 

 

    “Jeongin, this is your Avox. Choi Jinhye!” Nako exclaimed, pertaining to the girl in front of him. He genuinely smiled at her, probably keeping in mind that he must not have some sort of communication with this Avox girl. Unless of course if it is associated with orders and demands of the tribute, such as getting a glass of water or a book. 

 

    I looked at my Avox girl and she seemed tearing up. Somehow, I felt my stomach drop. I don't know why and I have no idea why. Nako then smiled at me, holding the Avox girl by the shoulder, the latter slightly flinching at the rainbow haired girl's touch. It wasn't that harmful nor aggressive. I suppose she was just traumatised about the peacekeepers torturing and cutting off her tongue. “This is yours, Wonyoung.” Nako started. 

 

    Her next words surprised me in a way I felt my heart shattered into tiny pieces. I couldn't believe it. I refuse to. I felt my whole world collapse, as if everything had lost its meaning at the time Nako announced the poor Avox's name, “Jo Yuri.”