Chapter 07

Tale of the Hummingbird

    Everything quickly passed in swift motion as I now found myself inside the train on the way to the Capitol. The train was rather huge, one floor contributed to one district. I live in the 7th district, so apparently, we were placed beneath the top floor—District 8's level. 

 

    I walked down the halls, alongside our victor, Kang Seulgi, Representative Yabuki Nako, and my district partner—Yang Jeongin. Seulgi and Nako were leading the two of us to our rooms. Nako was talking for the most part, giving us a mini tour about the place. 

 

    I must say, the interior was nothing like home. Our home was rather simple and poorly built. Houses are built with broken windows and less furniture. But this. It's a different talk. The Capitol's train. It was so fancy. Words can't even describe how luxurious this place is. If the trains are designed like this, what more could the city of Capitol have stored?

 

    Kang Seulgi led me to my room, after our representative decided to lead Jeongin to his own room. The room next to mine. I was expecting Seulgi to be silent and cold around me. Probably leaving me behind after she shows me my room. That was what Seulgi was known for after the games. Cruel. 

 

    I remember the year of her games that she was so warm and bright and smiley in an interview before the games; but that changed as to once she was out of the arena, with the Capitol proclaiming her as the crowned victor, she always kept a straight face—something that both shocked and entertained the Capitol citizens. 

 

    We sat down on my fluffy mattress, something that we don't have in my District. “How old are you?” she asked, breaking the icy wall of silence between us. I was purely shocked that she initiated a conversation first. “I'm Fifteen” I replied. Seulgi kept a straight face, however. But when I glance into her eyes, it tells a whole different story. It wasn't pity. It wasn't even sadness. It was anger. 

 

    I blinked my lashes, fluttering them. “Are you mad?” I questioned. She immediately shook her head, “Not at you.” I was honestly hoping that she'll tell me whom she's mad with, but then again, I don't know her that much. Except for the fact that she was once a bubbly little girl that turned into an ice queen. Someone along the lines of Yeri's trait. 

 

    Seulgi then stood up and made her way to the door. She turned the knob, planning to exit my room. She looked back at me, though. “Dinner's in an hour. Get ready.” she tells me, her voice in her usual monotonous tone. I have to get used to it, I guess. “Alright,” I say, and with my reply, Kang Seulgi opened the door, shutting it soon after. 

 

    I glanced around the room. My room. It was accentuated just like the hallways but it gave a new flavour to me. It was undoubtedly high in technology. The food comes up with just a simple press of a button. Buttons here, buttons there. I reckoned how poor districts are compared to the Capitol. I mean, I knew the Capitol has an advanced technology and a way better livelihood, but I didn't think that in just one click of a button, food will instantly find its way to the table. The District people are working too hard to give the Capitol what it needs. Hell, I'm certain most of the people not living in the Capitol die in hunger—except for the districts that are surely adored by the Capitol; such as Districts one and two. But still. 

 

    I decided to wash up for a while, not knowing what to do anymore. I was too bored to even do something. Maybe in the arena, I won't be feeling like this anymore. The thought of being dehydrated wasn't new to me as our district was one of the lower class sections of Panem. But the arena is different. You'll never know what danger's waiting for you there. There could be mutts, poisonous fog, murder, and all sorts of things you wouldn't even want to imagine. Just at the thought of having an axe thrown at you, making it the last thing you see, horrifies me. 

 

    I tried to shrug it off as I stepped into the shower and undressed. It was kind of annoying. All these buttons just made my life somewhat harder. I just wanted a good bath but I didn't ask for myself to be dizzy like this. I sighed, the Capitol sure is spoiled. I couldn't help but think of several what ifs. What if the Districts are all gone? Where will the Capitol be right now? With no fabrics coming from District One, no soldiers coming from District Two, no mobiles coming from District Three, no Fishing coming from District Four and a lot more Districts and its various contributions. Where will the Capitol stand? Without the Districts, the Capitol's valueless. Worthless. Futile. Nothing. 

 

    Once I was done bathing, I immediately went to change my clothes. I tried something simple. Something that reminded me of home. Something that my sister would wear. I smiled as I saw a simple nightgown at my closet. It was in the shade of pastel purple. It had a turtleneck collar, designed along a slightly see through sleeve. There was a puffy stuff imprinted on the shoulder area of the tube-topped dress. It was perfect. Elegant, yet soft. Just as my cup of tea. 

 

    I heard Nako call my name for dinner and I hurriedly went to the dining room. I had no choice but to follow her. Though I must admit I'm a little bit hungry, myself—especially for the fact that I was out for two days. I frowned at the thought of Yuri, though. She didn't deserve to die. And I haven't even got an opportunity to see her one last time. It was too unfair. 

 

    I want to escape, eradicate the Capitol until it ceases to exist, act like everything's a dream. But I realized it was futile. There was no point. No turning backs anymore. Suddenly, I hear Yeri's voice echoing throughout my ears, “I want you to win. I've seen you shoot and you were great at it. That is why I'm betting on you, Jang Wonyoung.”

 

    And there, I reckoned. I have to win. I have to get back home . No matter what cost it takes. Even if I kill. I have to survive.