Chapter 10

Tale of the Hummingbird

    My sleep was decent enough. With all the Air conditioner and soft pillows and comfortable mattress. Part of me wanted to go home, though. Get back to my old life. My old District. Act like none of these chaos existed. It wasn't until Nako went into my room, seemingly in a hurry. I can hear the sound of her heels rushing to awaken me in my sleep. I stirred as she poked me on the arm, “Wake up, Buttercup! Today's a very, very, very good day!” she beams. 

 

    I'll be lying if I say Nako addressing me as 'Buttercup' wasn't annoying. It's too soft for a pet name. Besides, the last time I checked, we weren't even friends. We're just allies. Nothing more, nothing less. 

 

    I lazily sat upward, rubbing my right eye at the process. “What is it this time?” I yawned. Nako smiles at my statement, I can tell she's beyond excited by the glee in her eyes. “Today's so special! You'll be meeting your stylist in an hour! I'm sure you'll rock whatever wardrobe she designed for you at the Opening Ceremonies.” I raised my eyebrow at her words. Me? Stylist? Opening Ceremonies? Wearing a dress? Please. “It's a part if the chariot rides, Wonyoung. You'll be welcomed by tons of Capitol people. We'd have to get a lot of sponsors for both you and Jeongin.” says Seulgi. She seemed to recognise the look on my face. I couldn't register whatever Nako was talking about earlier. I don't usually pay attention to the past Hunger Games. Especially the chariot rides and interviews that both Seulgi and Nako are talking about. I'm too busy hunting whilst trying to find a way to survive. 

 

    District Seven's past Tributes are extremely great in hunting, though. They were always a part of the Top 6 remaining District Tributes. It just so happens that almost all of them suffer a brutal death. District Seven—the Capitol's most hated District. If it weren't for sponsors, I don't think Seulgi would even win her games. Though I must admit I don't know how she won hers. 

 

    I was taken into a whole different quarter. Strangers—that I assumed as my prep team, made me lie down on a square-shaped platform. What were they gonna do this time? Brush my hair until it goes bald? Color my eyelids into some kind of Capitol color scheme? I hear one of them speak. They probably think I'm asleep or something. Her hair was up in a high ponytail, her face was comparable to a duck. Don't ask me why. She started mixing some chemicals into a bowl, whilst talking to this other girl who I assumed was a hair and nail stylist—considering the fact that her hair was all so elegant and fancy, “Hey Hyewon, look at her legs. There's barely no hair at all.” Why? Was my legs supposed to be hairy? And why are they talking about it anyways? Creepy. 

 

    The so-called Hyewon girl laughs, grinning as she does so. The both of them seemed relieved, though. I don't know why. “I know right!” Hyewon exclaimed, “She's honestly better than that one other tribute from last year. My gosh, she was so hairy! I felt so sorry for her experiencing the pain from your wax.” Hyewon added. The ponytailed girl smiled, “Me too. We better get started before she meets Irene. I wonder what Irene designed for District Seven. It must've been impressive even though Irene's a newbie.” Yena seemed to smile at the brunette's statement, “You're right, Hyewon. I absolutely can't wait!”

 

    I silently gulped, still pretending to be asleep. I know what they're gonna do and I'm expecting it to be painful. I braced myself in preparation to an unbearable pain. Oh well, I'm probably experiencing an excruciating pain once I'm in the arena in comparison to what will happen now. 

 

    The next number of hours was  purely agonising. I don't even know how I managed to get out alive after all those gut-wrenching wax. I can still feel the soreness of my newly waxed legs as I lay on top of a platform in a new room. Soon enough, I'll be meeting my stylist. Her name goes by Irene, as I heard both Hyewon and Yena speak a moment ago. I touched my hair, and felt it as soft as ever. They probably fixed it while waxing my legs. I gazed upon my newly painted nails. They were beautifully designed. Whoever was responsible with these, surely has the talent. I assumed it was Hyewon, though. 

 

    Then, within a tick of the clock, I hear the door creak. As if in instinct, I instantly stood up to greet a girl who I assumed was my stylist. The so-called Irene earlier. I smiled at her. I'd be lying if I said that I was surprised by her presence. She was from the Capitol, and frankly, I thought she was something identical amongst them. Just like Yena who waxed my legs, and Hyewon who did my nails. But no. Irene wore something different. She almost looked like she wasn't from the Capitol—which like I said, is extremely unexpected. Instead, Irene looked like she was from one of the districts. An idea then rushed through my mind. Could she? 

 

    “Jang Wonyoung, right?” she asks, in attempts for a confirmation as she sat down beside me, “Yes. District Seven. The poorest District.” I admit. I then read something peculiar in Irene's eyes, it was occupied with sadness and grief and sorrow. “I'm sorry for what happened to your sister. About her dying at your reaping,” she confesses. I gulped, aware of the fact that I am not allowed to tell her about my sister not dying despite those seven shots of gun, instead she became an Avox. Continuing to suffer by having no choice but to see her dear sister perishing in the games. It was such a cruel fate. 

 

    “It's okay…” I say, finding no words coming out of my mouth. I didn't know what to say nor react. How can a Capitol citizen sympathise with someone? Isn't she supposed to be happy? That's kind of new. Out of the context. Strange. “Don't you feel unlucky?” I asked, “That you're working with one of the poorest districts in all of Panem?” 

 

    She let out a smile, “No. I chose to work with your district,” she explains, which honestly took me aback, “I saw District Seven's potential upon winning the games. And most of them did not try to kill people.” Irene then crossed her legs, and sat up straight. “The thing with your District is that you don't kill people. No killing? No entertainment. No entertainment? No sponsors. No sponsors? No chance of survival.” she elaborated. I scoffed at Irene's statement. She's making a point, though. But still. “What do you think of us? Killers?! We're not like other district players who allow ourselves to be a piece in the Capitol's Games!” I flared. 

 

    Irene tried to calm me down. And her next words shocked me. “I'm not asking you to kill, Wonyoung. That's why I'm here to help you. I never said that killing is the only way to entertain them. The only way to achieve sponsors.” she stated. “What do you mean?” I asked, not knowing where this conversation is leading to.” 

 

    Irene then smirked, “We're gonna entertain them by style.”