Chapter 12

Tale of the Hummingbird

    I stood beyond a cramped area filled with other district tributes getting ready for the Chariot Rides. Currently waiting for Jeongin and his designer, I gazed upon the tribute's faces rather horridly. I'd have to kill some of them sooner or later in that arena. And they'll have to kill me as well. On the far side of where I stand, I observed one tribute. She's part of the careers—commonly known as a team of experienced killers. They trained a lot before the games, although I'm pretty certain it's illegal. I think her name's Chaeyeon. A year or so older than me. She's from District One and I'm aware of the fact that she's a  deadly type of tribute. One of which can kill you across the arena. 

 

    I tried to shrug it off—the thought of her eliminating me herself. My thoughts were cut off as I felt Irene's hands on the right side of my shoulder, grinning with glee and excitement. She's probably proud of the dress she designed. I see Jeongin and his prep team reside on my left, his outfit similar to mine. Except for his shirt's color. It was rather green, the color of leaves. His outfit came with a brown cardigan, detailed with the same white pattern on my dress. As if adding a frosty effect on our wardrobes. 

 

    “Now. There will come a time where the ride will pass at the middle of the platform. After that, I want the two of you to hold hands and raise it—as a sign of unity.” says Irene, enthusiastically. There was a hint of confusion into Jeongin's brows as it furrowed, “Why do we have to do that, though? I thought unity was forbidden in the games?” he asks, but Irene and his stylist immediately dismissed it, saying that he should just cooperate and trust the both of them. Eventually, Jeongin believed them, tired to even argue with the stylists' statement. 

 

    Just then, all the tributes were called to settle on our chariots. The rides are starting and I'm getting nervous and fidgety. I tried to calm myself down and keep up a positive mindset. I'm just riding a chariot with Jeongin and seeing Capitol people, that's all. What's the harm about that? I thought to myself. Carefully, I stepped up onto the chariot. The chariot was coated in bronze, replicating  wood from our district. Later on, I see Nako and Seulgi stand in front to Jeongin and I, outside of the chariot. “What lovely tributes I have!” Nako exclaimed, seemingly teary eyed. Not sure if the tears were real, but it seemed pretty fake to me. “The two of you will be the best district tributes from district seven; Don't forget to smile and wave to the guests!” 

 

    We just smiled at our , half thanking her for the wonderful motivation. But then again, she's a Capitol citizen. One of President Kwon's people. She still thinks that games are a part of people's entertainment. Nako then nudged the cold victor beside her, as if telling her to say some motivational comments. I thought Seulgi's just gonna ignore her. I was shocked when she even said a word. She smiled at us—this time, I'm certain it's a true smile. “Good luck.” she says. 

 

    I feel the chariot moving, the gates opening. And in a split second, I felt ourselves being enveloped into a deafening uproar of amusement. All of them were Capitol people. The ones I despise. I kept in mind to smile and wave, as Nako and Irene both said. Jeongin's been doing pretty impressive with the smiling and I just hope mine was convincing enough for them to like me. I saw the ride move across the center of the platform and on cue, I took Jeongin's hands and linked it to mine, raising it up in the air. Declaring unity and love for our district. That's when I felt it. A spark of electricity. Certainly, it came from the wristbands. And I knew I was right. 

 

    Staring upon our linked wristbands, I witnessed something incredible. Something I've never seen in our district before. For the golden wristbands grew golden roses with white gems in the center of the flower. I knew they were live plants. Theoretically impossible, but they were real. I then felt my head become heavier. First, I see Jeongin's earpiece turn into a bronze crown in the shape of leaves, decorating up until his forehead. Then, I looked up to mine and gasped in awe. My hair band had turned into a flower crown! Roses and white flowers and green leaves had roused from the plain golden hair band. 

 

    So this is what Irene was talking about, I mentally noted. And it worked successfully. I can tell by the screaming of the audiences. Some were surprised, others were awestrucked. The welcoming uproar greeted us as our outfits transformed into something new, something more desirable. A satisfied smirk was evident from my face. Irene and Jeongin's stylist did such a great job. I knew that we're now the center of attention. It's one step closer to getting wealthy sponsors. One step closer to survival. One step closer to home.