Part 5: There’s always wiggle room

The Push and Pull of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I run back outside and an officer tries to stop me on impulse. I tell him I just need a minute then walk towards you. You look at me with confused eyes.

 

I take a deep breath.

 

They never prepare you for these things. But now I think I’m prepared to risk.

 

“Jennie,” I breathe your name between my lips. “I have an answer.”

 

“To what?”

 

“What I would tell myself more than 4 years ago.”

 

You chuckle nervously. “You went back here to tell me that? You could have just told me over text, doofus.”’

 

I shrug my shoulders, my lips nervously.

 

“I would have told myself to stop overthinking.”

 

You scrunch your eyebrows, obviously lost. “Okay?”

 

“I would tell myself to stop overthinking and tell you how I feel. Even if it hurts.” I see you look at me like you’re preparing yourself for the worst. “It wasn’t your fault that I distanced myself from you. I distanced myself because…I have been in love with you, Jennie Ruby Jane. For the longest time.”

 

You look at me with confused eyes, mouth open. You’ve stopped breathing, but I push myself to continue. I can’t keep running away. From the truth. From you.

 

“I was so, so worried about losing you. But I continued loving you even if you didn’t want me and I had to keep away to stop myself from wanting more of you because it hurt. So much.” I rush through my words because I’m worried I won’t get the chance to tell you these things again and if I stop, I might not be able to tell you the truth. “I need to tell you now and be brave, but please know that I’m not asking for anything else you can’t give. I just want what we had back. It broke me being apart from you and barely talking to you.”

 

Your tears have now begun to flow and you begin sobbing. “Lisa…” You whisper, the break in your voice also breaking my heart. I brace m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter