Part 4: Learnings that pave the way

The Push and Pull of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We wrap up on lunch and I was astounded to find that we’d managed to go through all the food. Maybe I was that hungry, too, or maybe it was Chae who ate everything.

 

After we settled the bill (which I still maintain Jisoo shouldn’t have footed everything, but knowing her, I won’t really be able to argue) we all went out to walk a little bit outside the beach area. I understand why the beach looks like it’s not suitable for swimming; it was more of a dock area for multiple cargo ships about maybe 10 kms away from shore, but it made for a pretty picture nevertheless. Chae is excitedly talking about random plans Jisoo and her are hoping to do, and we all look for a bench to sit somewhere to continue the discussions. I look at the time and realise it’s already 5:10 pm, and I wish I didn’t have to leave just yet.

 

Jisoo notices. “What time is your flight?”

 

“7:30 pm.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. You’re going to have plenty of time. Immigration is quick and it’s normally pretty clear cut. You might just need some time to walk inside the airport but you can leave here with just an hour to boarding and you’re still good. We’re only 10 minutes away.”

 

“You know that phrase is starting to drive me crazy because, to be honest, I’ve never really had to be somewhere 10 minutes away and take it so casually.” I laugh, thinking about the traffic in Seoul and New York.

 

“It’s Singapore, mate. Everything here is just less than an hour away by car, thank god. And seriously, we’re really just 10 minutes away.” Jisoo looks at Chae, frowning. “It’s just too bad we won’t be able to go with you as we have this dinner thing I can’t get out of. Are you gonna be okay getting to the airport?”

 

“Don’t worry, I’m bringing her there.” You pipe up casually. Jisoo looks at me playfully and winks.

 

“Okay, Jennie. Thanks for taking care of our Lisa.”

 

I shake my head while grinning and hope you didn’t catch Jisoo’s teasing. We all look at the sea for a minute.

 

“Who would have thought we’d have our reunion in Singapore?”

 

Jisoo looks at Chae warmly, nodding at her comment. “Who would have even thought we’d ever be in Singapore after Uni, to be honest.”

 

“Yeah, I never pegged you to leave Korea, actually. I mean, Chae’s always been transient since her family’s in Australia. But you’ve always been deeply rooted in Korea.” I told Jisoo. She shrugs.

 

“I go where my girlfriend goes, Manoban. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.”

 

“Yeah, it’s a commitment you signed up for to make sure this chipmunk is always well-fed, isn’t it?”

 

Chae squeals a ‘hey!’ and playfully slaps my leg at my comment. Jisoo laughs, too.

 

“Well, there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to make sure I’m beside this woman,” Jisoo wraps her arm around Chaeng, hugging her closer. “I knew I could make anything happen anyway as long as I’m with her. And careers are pretty malleable anyway. I could bring my career anywhere.”

 

I nod thoughtfully, wondering if it will ever happen to me. My life nowadays has mostly been just about work and nothing else. I look at you and I remember about the times that my life was about mostly you and work, but I was happier. I take a deep breath. I also realise that you’ve been quiet since we left the restaurant.

 

“Almost 5 years for you; almost 4 for me. And I feel we’re all extremely changed people.” I say pensively. “What would you have advised to your graduating self?”

 

We all hum a little and think. Jisoo answers first.

 

“I think I would tell myself to keep an open mind. I guess I got that shock of moving to another place that’s not my comfort zone and it was overwhelming.” She lets go of Chae’s shoulders and rest her arms on her legs, and I know immediately that she’s really thinking this through. “I mean, you can’t blame me: I’ve been in Seoul for most of my life. I knew nothing else. And then I was subjected to a lot of things when I got here that I almost had an aversion to the change. Imagine having to let go of a culture that shaped you. But I think what helped me is realising that this is growth, change is growth. And that I don’t have to pattern myself after other people’s successes. I took my time and improved myself, but I was the benchmark. Not someone else.”

 

“To be fair, baby, you’ve really gone a long way.” Chae rubs Jisoo’s back comfortingly.

 

“I know. But I wouldn’t have known these things if I didn’t leave Korea. And I never thought it would happen only a year after graduation.”

 

We all nod appreciatively. Chae follows Jisoo’s lead.

 

“I think for my end is that I got to test exactly how independent I was. So…maybe not just tell my graduating self, but my secondary school self just before I left Australia. I’d go Doctor Seuss up my and say ‘oh, the places you would go!’” She laughs and everyone does, too. “I mean, it’s one thing to go back to my mother tongue place for Uni, but it’s also another to move to a country you have absolutely no ties in. We heavily depended on each other, if not ourselves.”

 

I nod at Chae’s comment. “Was it that hard for you, too when you moved here?”

 

“In a sense, but I guess I also felt overwhelmed about the whole thing and realising I still had a lot to learn. New culture does that to you, I guess.” Chae pauses thoughtfully. “Oh, and that maybe it’s okay to feel lost. Especially when I made that move to digital, for a time before that I kept beating myself up for not understanding exactly what I wanted. I felt transient for a bit. If you ask my Uni self what she wants, I’d definitely say I would be in a bank in 5 years and making a career out of it in Seoul. Never in my wildest dreams that I’d be in Singapore and moving over to digital and still feeling like my career could be pliable.”

 

“Yea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter