Chapter 1 : A new start

I'm your star

Chapter 1 : A new start

 

The sound of the birds chirping outside the window…

You woke up by the sound of your alarm that plays “Highlight – Calling You”

Strands of hair runs through your eyes as you opened them slowly.

Today was the 14th day of waiting for Around Us Ent to respond. Yesterday, you were browsing through marketing jobs and sending resumes to other companies till you slept very late. You got to have a backup plan if AU doesn’t accept you.

It’s a new year for you to start. You were actually waiting for Around Us Ent to call, text or email to you for an interview. Your part time job is will start at 10.00am at a convenience store nearby your house. A lot of your neighbors knew you, because they came there very often. You started working there when your contract expired which is at the end of November.

You’re only free on weekends. You got the job at the convenience store because your friend recommend it to you as she was going to further her studies in the US. You can speak very well in English thanks to all the lessons from school.

You were browsing through your email and finally got a notification from Around Us Ent.

 

 

“Dear Applicant Yookyung,

 

Thank you for applying for the Marketing department position with Around Us Entertainment.

We would like to invite you to come to our office to interview for the position. Your interview will be scheduled for 27 January 2020, 3pm, at M Building Around Us Entertainment, 37-1 Apgujeong-ro 79-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.

 

Sincerely,

Oh Jaesun

Regional Manager of Around Us Ent.

 

 

You were so happy because your workplace is not far from your home and most importantly you got to work with your most favorite singers that you’ve liked and adored since they debuted. Thank god your interview is tomorrow and you have to ask for a day off since your part time job is 10am – 6pm. The interview is at 3pm so someone have to fill your shift or change to night shift instead for one day.

It was 9am, you showered, had breakfast and went straight to work. You have to open it early to start preparing or cleaning the environment, and make sure things are in order. You’ve messaged your boss about the interview, he said that it’s fine. He will fill up your part tomorrow because that 1 month of November, you’ve been working morning shifts and night shifts because some part time student won’t come to work.

After your shift was done, you went to Myeongdong to find a new lipstick at 3CE. Bought some street snacks and went home.

“Should I prepare myself tomorrow?...” you said

“Just be myself. I’ve worked at J Company for 2 years. So if they don’t accept me, it’ll be their loss because I am so good at working. Yeah! I should say that. Be confident Yang Yookyung! You can do this!” you said to yourself

 

The next day came, and you were excited but worried at the same time.

You wore your office clothes, tied your hair properly and apply your new lipstick on your lips that you just bought yesterday. After that, you went straight to the bus stop since Around Us Ent is 30 minutes from your apartment.

You’ve went there before because there was a Yoseob’s Birthday event held at the café near Around Us Ent on early 2019. That time you knew that, Around Us Ent was there. You never went to Highlight / B2ST fansign before because you were so busy with assignments and work that you have to submit. You never get a chance to see them up close. The only person that you’ve seen before was Yang Yoseob. It was his birthday, so you went to the company to give him your gift personally. Luckily, Yoseob was there, and he took the gift. That time, yoseob and his friend gyuberlake is late to attend Apink’s Concert. You didn’t get to see his face properly but still it felt like a dream come true.

Breezes through the bus window calms you down. It was a new start and hopefully she will start working tomorrow onwards. Although you feel sorry for your Convenience store boss, but you wanted to find a full time job to pay the rent.

Shinhyeondae Apartment is really expensive, but the previous owner said I can rent it for 300dollars. The previous owner was your parent’s friend, so she doesn’t mind if you stayed there long.

Once you’ve arrived, you walked 10 minutes to Around Us Ent. You feel like it was a dream.

 

“Wow… Am I dreaming?” you said to yourself while looking at Around Us Ent logo outside the building.

 

You went inside and was greeted by a receptionist.

“Oh hello, may I ask why you are here?” she asked

“Oh I’m here for the interview. The Marketing Department position.” You said.

“Oh! Yes. Yang Yookyung-ssi? Right?” she asked looking at the computer screen.

“Oh yes.” You said

“I’ll inform the CEO.” She said while making a call.

 

You nodded and shocked… CEO? Who? Which one? Aren’t they in the military? Did they take the day off??? You were so nervous, your legs were shaking. But you have to do your best to get the job.

“Excuse me, Yang Yookyung-ssi?” she asked

“The CEO is ready to see you. Please follow me.” She said

You followed her through a door that reveals stairs to the second floor.

“We don’t use elevators here because the CEO wants us to exercise or we’ll get fat.” Said the receptionist while she smiles.

“That’s good for the heart though. May I ask you, who is going to interview me?” you asked.

“You’ll know when you get inside. Don’t worry, the CEO won’t bite you.” She said and opened a door to a medium sized office revealing like 8 staffs currently eyes were glued perfectly at the computer screens and sounds of keyboard typing.

“Oh! New staff?” asked a guy from the desk.

“Hopefully a new recruit. She’s here for an interview.” Said the receptionist.

“Good luck~” cheered the guy.

 

The receptionist stopped at the CEO’s door and asked me to go inside while she smiled then left.

“I’m so nervous. You can do this.” You thought.

You knocked the door two times and a familiar voice says “Come in”.

You opened the door slowly and saw CEO Yang Yoseob stands up, and greeted you with smile.

“Hello, Yang Yookyung-ssi. Thank you for coming” he said while he bowed slightly and gave you permission to sit down while his eyes glued to you.

“Hello.” You said as you sat down slowly.

 

Man I am so nervous right now. Why does it have to be you? You thought

“Stay calm, no need to feel nervous. If you’re nervous try to breath slowly okay?” said CEO Yang

You nodded and breathed slowly.

“Can we start?” he asked keeping the eye contact

“Hello. I am Yang Yookyung. I am here for the Marketing Department position.” You said

“Ok… Yang yookyung-ssi… why do you want to work here? What do you see in our company?” asked CEO Yang

“The reason that I wanted to work here is because I see a lot of potential in this company. Because this company is built with people that have passion for music and wanted to achieve things that they never achieved before.” You said

“I’ve worked for a company before called J Company. The atmosphere there was really dark before I joined. But I could see the company is slowly starting to developed due to the team work from all the staffs.” You said

“What is J Company’s achievements?” asked CEO Yang

“J Company is a business company. A company that built equipment for singers. We tried various ways to make sure that the music company that bought the equipment’s from us are 100% safe and functioning well.” You said.

“You know our equipment’s are from J Company. When I heard you were from there, I wondered why did you not continued your contract. Is there a problem?” he asked

“The problem was, the workplace is very far from my apartment. And I just wanted to experience my work at another new environment because every environment is different.” You said

“J Company and our company is two different business. You’re aware of that right? Around Us Ent is a music industry type of business. So marketing is wider than Business Company. Are you up for the job?” he asked.

“I am a very hardworking person. I promise I will adapt with the new environment quickly.” You said confidently.

CEO Yang smiled and he nodded “Good. You’re very confident” he said.

“Usually a lot of people asked for A&R position. Do you know why?” he asked

You shook your head.

“A&R position is a position where you have to handle the singers. Accompany them every schedule like managers. Making sure everything is perfect before a stage. Surprisingly, you’re not one of them.” He said

“Aren’t A&R position is like… most fans want that position?” you asked thinking logically.

“Yes! Correct. Fans. I am here to tell u that, we are professionals. Personal feelings are not allowed here.” He said as he stands up walking away slowly from his chair.

So that means I can’t like him?

“But….” You stopped a bit to find a suitable question.

“Example, a staff likes a CEO. But the CEO doesn’t know. Is it allowed?” you asked.

He stopped and looked at you with a straight face.

“You can but…. Never do things that you are not allowed to. Don’t cross the line” he said and sat down.

“Do you have any more questions?” he asked.

“Oh…. No.” you said

“Can you start working tomorrow?” he asked

 

What? Really?

You stood up from your chair.

“Yes. I will” you realized you were inappropriate. So you sat down quickly.

“Wow. The passion is there already. Yeah… I will let our Regional Manager handle you after this interview. You have to sign the contract. We’ll see you tomorrow again.” He said and held out his hand for a formal shake.

Oh my god. His hand. I am going to shake it. I finally got to shake it.

“Um…Excuse me..” said Yang CEO looking at you. You quickly shake his hand slowly.

“Let’s meet the manager. You can let go of my hand now.” He said and you quickly kept your hands behind your back.

“Oh! Sorry.” You said.

 

Both of you went out from the office as CEO Yang opened the door for you. Of course he always respect woman. That’s why I like this guy.

“Jeongho-ya. This is our new marketing assistant. Please handle her and show her around.” He said

“Wow! Finally a new staff!” he said.

“Oh really?! New staff for our department??” said a female staff excitedly while she stood up to see you.

You bowed your head to her.

“See you tomorrow!” she said happily.

“Yaaaa… Suyeon-ah. Feeling energized now that you have someone to take your work?” asked CEO Yang

“Tch… It’s not like I’m no longer in Marketing Department. I’m going to be a Marketing Analyst. Please raise my salary okay Daepyo-nim (CEO).” She said

“I know. I know. But on March.” He said

“Fine~” she said and sat down.

“Jeongho-ya I have a meeting with someone. So please handle her okay?” asked CEO Yang

“Okay. I will. See you tomorrow Daepyo-nim” said Jeongho.

 

Meet someone? Is he dating someone? Oh my god the whole staff know.

“Yang Yookyung-ssi?” called Jeongho

“Yes?” you asked.

“Here is the contract, you can fill up at the waiting area there” said Jeongho while showing the waiting area.

The waiting are is in front of CEO Yang’s office. You sat down and filled the forms.

You hand it to Jeongho sunbaenim

“Ah, Yookyung-ssi don’t forget to bring 6 pcs of ID photos okay? “asked Jeongho sunbaenim

“Yes sunbaenim.” You said

 

After Jeongho sunbaenim take you to see the insides of the company and also bring you to With Us.

“With Us is a training studio for our trainees. Right now they are still in school and also have lessons.” He said.

“This is their schedule every day. We assigned them to go to Vocal class, Acting class, Dance class and Language course” he said

“Wow. That is amazing.” You said

“We are trying everything to make sure they’re trained well. You know that the CEO’s had a very hard time during trainee time. They don’t want the trainees to feel too stress. That’s why all classes are different every day. Like for Monday, we have vocal class, they practice singing here and it goes on like that” he said

“Does the teachers that was assigned to teach them will come and teach here?” you asked as u were new in Music Industry Company.

“Yes. They will come here, since we paid them to teach our trainees.” He said

“So how many trainees you have right now?” you asked

“There is a few that has confirmed to trust us. But there are certain kids that passed the audition is still thinking about whether to sign with us or not. We can’t force them. We are here to help them. Our company wants to produce a very talented singers and actors not by forcing. That is our main goal because the kids are gifted with the talent and they need help to improve from good to better.” He said

“Of course. You can’t promise them that they’ll be a good singer or actors because that actually depends on how hardworking they are right?” you asked and Jeongho nodded.

“I worked with Highlight before. Before they debuted as B2ST. I stayed at the company at a very young age. I can tell they are very hardworking ever since they debuted. They have passions. You know when you look at someone, and you just know they are going to make it someday. Same goes to former members. They are very talented. It’s just a bit sad that one of them couldn’t continue due to a situation that our society doesn’t accept although he wasn’t at fault. And one of them have very great passion at doing what he loves but some of our people also couldn’t accept his decisions. ” He said.

 

I knew what he was talking about. I was a bit sad when I hear that.

 

“Oh… sorry I got carried away by the past.” He said

“No… it’s good information since I’m a new recruit so I have to know all these things.” You said

“So we’ll meet again tomorrow Yookyung-ssi?” he asked

“Yeah. Oh what time work starts?” you asked

“Oh… 8am till 5pm. We also have overtime. After 5pm till 9.30pm” He said.

“Is it the same on weekends?” you asked

“On weekends we will start at 10am till 6pm. No overtime during weekends but if you do work overtime on weekends you won’t get paid since it is your own actions. We’re considered private company, so we don’t work on weekends. Only managers and A&R department are allowed to work at the company for weekends as our fansigns are always on weekend. We have to consider the fans feelings as they are also working and go to school.” He said.

“Okay. I understand.” You said and bowed.

“See you tomorrow.” Said Jeongho sunbaenim

 

 

You went to the nearest bus stop to go home. Once you arrived at your apartment, you were excited to go to work tomorrow.

 

“I am finally going to see Yoseob oppa closely now! Wait I can’t let him know that. I have to be careful with my feelings.” You said

You opened your instagram and saw yoseob posted a story with Yanggaeng.

“Awww~~~ so adorable! I wish I was Yanggaeng.” You said jokingly

“So this is his someone he mentioned earlier.” You said.

“My Daepyo-nim is just so adorable!” you said looking at the instastory multiple times.

“Ya! Yang Yookyung! Snap out of it! You’re his staff. I can’t like him. But he did said I can but don’t get caught” you said.

“Yang Yookyung-ssi be careful. Don’t panic or fangirl in front of him. Control and don’t let him notice. You got this Yang Yookyung” you said