The past and the present

You are the reason: A Eunhae Fanfic

He found himself walking in a road  that led to his old house, not really knowing what he was going to do. Donghae doubted that Hyukjae cared for their friendship necklaces as much as he did, but he still wanted to return it. As much as he hated to admit it, he wanted to see Hyukjae again.

 

He knocked on the door adjacent to his house and almost felt a sense of deja vu when a woman about his mothers age opened the door.

 

“Hello.” He stuttered. “My name is Lee Donghae. I used to be your neighbor.”

 

“ Donghae?” Asked the woman in surprise as she saw a face of a boy she thought she’ll never see again.

 

“ I think your son dropped this. I wanted to return it.” Donghae said holding up the necklace seemingly regretting his decision to come.

 

“Hyukjae doesn’t live here anymore. He moved into the flat above the dance studio. Right next to the basketball court.” She said kindly. 

 

“Will you be able to give it to him?” He asked awkwardly. 

 

“He usually visits me in the weekend. But knowing how important that necklace was to him, he’s probably going out of his mind searching for it now.” She chuckled. “ If it’s not too much to ask, can you return it personally?”

 

“He...I.. I don’t think he’d want to see me.” Donghae uttered.

 

“Please Donghae.” Hyukjae’s mother said.” He was broken when you left. I’m mostly to blame to what happened during his childhood. But he please go to him. Give him a chance to explain.”

 

Her sincerity along with Donghae’s unbridled desire to meet his best friend cause him to agree and he yet again  found himself going to Hyukjae’s home. 

 

He wondered what Hyukjae was like now. Whether he had become a professional dancer like he dreamed to be once. If he lived next to the dance studio he must be. Donghae hated how much he still cared about Hyukjae because he knew that he didn’t care at all. After all he would himself a new best friend after a couple of months. Although Donghae felt childish for holding such a grudge, he still couldn’t get rid of the bitter feelings towards Hyukjae’s friendship.

 

Donghae stopped by the basketball court staring at the necklace that glittered in his hand. 

 

“Hey! Where did you get that from?!” A voice called from behind him.

 

•••

Meanwhile Eunhyuk was definitely going insane looking for his necklace. He cursed himself over and over again for being distracted by the man in the suit during his performance and not realizing his necklace had fallen off. He felt as if though he was losing his best friend all over again after losing the only link to Donghae.

 

His phone rang as he searched the pavement yet again for the small chain that he treasured so much. 

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hello son? Are you alright? You don’t sound that well.”

 

“Mom... I lost my necklace. Donghae’s necklace.” He replied his voice breaking.

 

“I know” she laughed. “Donghae came here a while ago. He found your necklace and wanted to return it. I told him to go to your house.”

 

“Donghae? He.. came?” Eunhyuk stuttered bewildered.

 

“Yes and he has your necklace too.”

 

“But how? I thought... that he would hate me.” 

 

“Look son. I know you never let him go in the first place. It’s my fault too but please I’m trying to make this right for both of you. Go to him. Tell him what happened.” 

 

Eunhyuk managed to break out of his reverie, forcing himself to run towards his flat. He knew he couldn’t let this chance go. After years of wishing Donghae somehow found his way back to him.