A few days later

You are the reason: A Eunhae Fanfic

It was a few days later that Donghae was in his old neighborhood with  Siwon and Leeteuk. They decided to go out for a burger to celebrate the success of their previous project. He was dressed in his usual business attire as it was only four in the afternoon. It was the first time since he returned from America that he visited this neighborhood. He preferred to keep his memories in the past.

 

Donghae was walking in the street and almost at the door of their fast food place when he saw a small commotion. Curious he went to see what drew the attention of all the people to find a street performance.

 

His eyes were immediately drawn to the performer dancing center stage. His single-lidded eyes coated in eyeliner and his mesmerizing plump lips adding in to his sultry expression as he moved his hips to the rhythm of the music. Donghae felt himself become captivated in the dancer’s performance, not knowing how long he stood there transfixed staring at the other.

 

Without even realizing the performance was already over and the crowd dispersed. The performers took their leave and Donghae’s finally managed to snap out of his trance. He was about to leave, blaming his reaction to overworking when he noticed something glittering on the floor.

 

“No way.” He muttered as he picked the chain up.

 

In his hand, a necklace with two pendants shined. A letter D and a fish. Hyukjae.

 

Donghae wheeled around attempting to locate the dancers, knowing that one of them must have dropped it. Knowing that one of them was Hyukjae. His feet carried in the direction that the performers had taken off in, towards an alley that lead to a more dangerous part of the city.

 

“Donghae!!” 

 

He turned to see Siwon and Leeteuk running towards him looking worried.

 

“What were you thinking? You can’t go in these alleyways, there’s gang activity everywhere!” Leeteuk scolded.

 

“Sorry Hyung.” Donghae muttered his mind already far away. 

 

“Common let’s go.” Siwon said concerned. It wasn’t like his friend to act like this.

 

Leeteuk put his arm around Donghae protectively as they led him towards the restaurant.

 

•••

 

Throughout their meal, Donghae’s mind was elsewhere. His thoughts kept drifting to a certain boy, who he used to call his best friend.

 

Young Donghae stood in front of his mailbox every morning in America waiting for a letter from Hyukjae. It was painfully apparent to the boy’s parents that that letter was never going to come. Yet Donghae kept insisting that his mail was going to arrive soon. It went on for months until his parents managed to find Hyukjae’s fathers number. 

 

Donghae was so excited when he called as he convinced himself that Hyukjae lost the address.

 

“Hello Uncle!” He practically squealed to the phone.” It’s Donghae, Hyukkie’s best friend! Is Hyukkie there?”

 

“ He doesn’t want to talk to you, you idiotic brat! He hates you! Now stop calling! Don’t contact us ever again!” With that Hyukjae’s father ended the call.

 

To say that Donghae was shocked as an understatement. He kept calling the same number again and again but no one ever answered.

 

His parents were more than appalled at Hyukjae’s fathers behavior and attempted to convince their son to give up on him. 

 

But Donghae wouldn’t listen. He became convinced that Hyukjae had gotten into trouble or badly injured himself. He demanded to go back to Seoul, refusing to eat, constantly putting his health at risk while insisting that he should go see Hyukjae.

 

It was his brother Donghwa, who managed to contact one of his old friends at school and managed to find the number of Hyukjae’s (and Donghae’s too if he had stayed) class teacher in order to shed some light into the situation. 

 

“Of course Hyukjae’s doing alright.” She had replied unaware of his reason to call.”He’s a bit rebellious and mischievous, and he’s found himself a partner in crime too. Kyuhyun his name is. They’re always with each other pulling prank driving everyone insane. They’re best friends. If you want to know more about Hyukjae you should ask him. They seem to know everything about each other.”

 

Donghae was twelve when he had his first heartbreak. He always thought Hyukjae will wait for him to come.It felt as a if though the world was ending. It was always Donghae and Hyukjae. Donghae was Hyukjae’s. Hyukjae was Donghae’s. But now he wasn’t so sure.