Taking a chance

You are the reason: A Eunhae Fanfic

As Eunhyuk neared the basketball court next to his home he practically skidded to a stop when he saw a small crowd causing a scene.

His friend Kyuhyun and a couple of other friends from the bar (including the bartender Shindong and another singer Yesung) had a man surrounded and  almost interrogating him.

 

The man in the suit. The man who watched his performance.

 

Eunhyuk disbelievingly stepped into the court his eyes roaming over the other man, kicking himself for not recognizing the person who used to mean the world to him, and still did even though he was afraid to admit it. His double lidded eyes that could melt the coldest glacier with just a glance and his thin lips that would sing sweet songs whenever he was upset. 

 

Donghae’s eyes widened when he saw Eunhyuk, he too recognizing his childhood best friend. It was almost comical how both of them instantly felt a sense of comfort despite meeting after more than a decade.

 

It was a rather loud boisterous yell that bought them both back to the present.

 

“I’ll ask again. Tell me how the hell you got that necklace.” 

 

Kyuhyun, who Eunhyuk had called in an desperate attempt to find that necklace earlier that day was passive aggressively questioning Donghae. He didn’t notice Eunhyuk entering.

 

“I found it.” He simply replied.

 

“How did you end up here if you found it? Is this Heechul’s new plan? It’s taking things to a whole new level, he new how much that necklace meant to Eunhyuk.” Kyuhyun said disbelieveingly.

 

“I came to return it.”

 

“How do you know where Eunhyuk lives?” Yesung, probably the calmest in this situation asked.

 

“I don’t know who Eunhyuk is.” Donghae answered.

 

“ Then how the hell did you-“ Kyuhyun looked like he was about to pull his hair out out of frustration when Eunhyuk intervened.

 

“Kyuhyun it’s alright.”  They all turned to see Eunhyuk behind him. 

 

Eunhyuk glanced at Donghae only to see him staring at Kyuhyun with renewed interest. 

 

“Eunhyuk do you know him? Is he one of Heechul’s men?” Kyuhyun asked almost protectively.

 

Sensing this, Donghae sighed in defeat and went up to Hyukjae, or Eunhyuk as he called himself, handing him the necklace. Eunhyuk received it wordlessly.

 

“I better leave. It’s clear I’m upsetting your best friend.” Donghae said bitterly looking at the ground. He turned in his heel to walk off.

 

“Donghae wait!” Eunhyuk managed to utter, looking forlorn as he attempted to force himself to speak up.

 

“ Hyuk what’s going on?” Kyuhyun growled. “ Look I don’t know who you are, but you’ve upset my friend. That necklace meant the world to him, how dare you do this?”

 

“ So it was meant the world to you?” Donghae said coldly almost glaring at him.

 

“ Please... please let me explain.” Eunhyuk muttered.

 

“Who the hell are you?” Asked Yesung skeptically. “ I’ve never seen Eunhyuk so upset.”

 

Donghae reached inside the front of his collar and revealed a necklace that was hidden from view due to his suit. A necklace with two pendants. A letter H and a monkey.

 

Eunhyuk never felt like more like a jerk than at that moment, when he realized that decades may have passed but his best friend still wore his necklace. Their necklace. It was clear to anyone watching them that both of them were hurting. Much more than they liked to admit. It was as if emotions they’ve suppressed for the last thirteen years had caught up with them. The pain and heartbreak they felt when they were twelve was as real as ever.

 

“I...” Eunhyuk began.

 

“Anchovy what are you doing in my territory?” Interrupted the shrill voice of Heechul. “ Didn’t I tell you if I ever saw you again I’m going to skin you alive?”

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened as Kim Heechul appeared in the alleyway with some of his henchman. He glanced back at Donghae who looked more confused than ever. He did the first thing that came into his mind. He grabbed Donghae’s arm and ran dragging him along.