six

In The Wrong Order
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weekend ends without any fanfare, thankfully, because Jihyo can only deal with one trip to the hospital at the time. Well, except that one argument late at night when they try to force each other to take the bed and not the couch. They have an early call time for Running Man the very next morning, but all Jongkook wants to do now was to make Jihyo sleep on his bed like the gentleman he was. Unfortunately for him, Jihyo was stubborn — very stubborn, and maybe unfortunately for her, so was he.

 

“It’s your house, and your bed.” Jihyo repeats for the umpteenth time. “So you sleep on it.”

 

“The couch is fine. It’s wide and comfortable and I have all my pillows with me.” Jongkook negotiates back, already sitting on his tiny sofa, as if he was convincing anyone.

 

“If it’s fine, then how come I can’t sleep on it?”

 

“You know very well why I don’t want you to sleep here.”

 

If he knew she’d be this stubborn, he’d tell her not to come until the spare mattress came. Besides, it was only one night before it arrives, so couldn’t she just give in for one night and sleep on his huge, spacious bed?

 

“This is ridiculous.” She fumes, tired and very annoyed. “I’m not giving in! We could bicker all night if you want!”

 

“Humour me, Jihyo.” He lies on his couch, looking impossibly large and nearly about to fall off already. “You can fight with the wall if you want, but I’m going to sleep.”

 

“Unbelievable, oppa!” She stomps over, yanking on his arm. Why the hell did he have to work out so much? Who had muscles as big as one’s thigh? “Okay, new plan — why don’t we both sleep on your bed?”

 

He nearly hits her at how fast he sits up on his couch. “Why would you want to do that?”

 

“Because it’s big?” Jihyo eyes him seriously, like she can’t believe he just asked her that. “Yah, we’re friends, we’ve slept in the same room millions of times when filming, isn’t this the same?”

 

No, no it is not the same. Jongkook thinks about how Jihyo wants to sleep in the same room on the same bed after they both know the situation they are in now because of that one night on the mentioned bed doing... some extra activities other than sleeping. It’s how she’s pregnant now! And she’s dense enough to suggest they can share a bed? Did he mention that it was the very same bed as the night they ed?

 

He must have paused too long, because Jihyo immediately lets go off his arm, awkward. “Hold up, I’m not suggesting anything.” She blushes, her argument all forgotten. “The bed is big enough of the two of us instead of debating about who gets to sleep where...”

 

“Okay stop, I know what you mean.” He must have a death wish, because he can’t believe he’s going through with this. But she’s got a point! No one has to take the couch! “Okay, we can share the bed. It’s gigantic — what’s wrong with sharing?”

 

And that should have settled it, right?

 

Nope.

 

The moment his head touches the pillow in his own bed, he rolls over to face the wall, so he doesn’t accidentally turn over to face her. Why couldn’t he have just said no? Then he’ll be on the couch and she could be on the bed and everything would be fine. What the hell was he doing?

 

Maybe she’s having second thoughts about this too, because Jihyo turns over the other side, and he feels the bed sink slightly. There's silence for a good few seconds, maybe a little unbearable, until she whispers into the darkness. “Good night, oppa.”

 

Still facing the wall, far from the invisible barrier between them, he answers back. “Night, Jihyo.”

 

And somehow, they both fall asleep eventually, Jihyo because she’s just always tired anyway, and Jongkook because he went to the gym earlier in the morning as per usual and did more than weights to tire himself out. Fast forward to this morning, when he wakes before his alarm, and finds himself in a rather compromising position.

 

Jihyo’s a heavy sleeper, no surprise about that. Except she’s found her way buried close to his chest, and the first thing he sees is not the wall, but her messy hair tied up in a bun from the night before. Several blinks later, and he realizes he’s almost spooning her, his arm propped heavily like a weight on her waist. . How the heck did this happen? They had an invisible line of separation between them! She's soft and very warm against him, and he really wishes she didn't feel so comfortable propped up by him like that.

 

This was why he didn’t want to sleep with her on the same bed! What can he do now? He doesn’t want to wake her, otherwise she might get a shock of her life and accuse him of trying something funny — he can’t do that to her when they’ve established all sorts of boundaries and rules. Even without their agreement, he shouldn't be eyeing her like that. How many times does he have to tell himself that they are colleagues? Or did they fly out the window the moment he decided to kiss her and have a wild night of passionate on this very same bed they were now on? 

 

Holding his breath, he slowly extracts his arm from her waist, careful not to move her. It’s easier said than done but he barely manages to gingerly lift his arm and then proceeds to scoot himself away, until he’s safely past the invisible boundary they seemed to draw in the middle of his bed the night before. He moves quietly and cautiously, hoping his movements won’t rock the bed and disturb her awake, then creeps over to his wardrobe to grab his clothes and to the makeshift shelter of his bathroom.

 

It works — Jihyo doesn’t stir the entire time. He heaves a sigh of relief, and swears he’ll never expose his position to her. But it does make him very awkward, thinking about how nice it felt to have his arm around her, and to wake up to a woman like that. Maybe he’s been out of the dating game for far too long? They never spooned or cuddled after that one night of . He just woke up to a cold and empty bed, understandably so.

 

Jihyo’s your friend.

 

His cheeks heat up as he reminds himself that. She’s not his wife — heck, she’s not even his girlfriend. She’s a colleague, a very good friend... and that’s all they ever will be.

 

Then why... why did he feel like she belonged there, cuddled up against him as he spooned her? On that very bed they were sleeping on? He'd let his mind wander all morning about the way she moaned under him as he ed up into her, how she shook and begged for more while he gave into her demands... 

 

.


Now he had a very cold shower to take in the bathroom right beside her.
 

 

Ever since Jihyo woke up to Jongkook’s alarm, he’s been acting distant and weird. She found him in his living room, using his phone, all dressed and ready to head for filming. In fact, he stays this way all throughout the car ride, and even after they separate to meet their stylists in the waiting rooms. He didn’t even pay her any attention when she greeted him good morning, or when she asked if he wanted to grab a quick breakfast before filming! She had to text her stylist unnie to help her get a bite, otherwise she might have a repeat of last Monday when she promptly fainted on set. Thank God they didn’t have to refilm the ending to that punishment though, because poor Kwangsoo did the punishment by himself as a distraction from what really went on. Oh, the power of editing!

 

Still, Jongkook’s cold and distant behaviour probably had something to do with last night. Maybe she pushed him too far by suggesting they shared the bed? It was pretty uncomfortable at the start, but they were friends! It was only for that night, and she’ll be back to his spare guest room soon. Anyhow, she knows how to give him space, standing far away from him when she comes out in her sponsored clothes, spotting on the most ridiculous looking headband and hoping no one notices how jittery she is. The cameras were like vultures; they could spot any wrong move, and she didn’t want any of the viewers’ and their sharp eyes picking up on their awkward tension.

 

Except she forgot who she’s filming with, because Donghoon picks it up the moment she enters the set and bows to everyone, watching as she makes a beeline for the spot furthest from Jongkook.

 

“Yah, what happened to them?” Ha Ha asks Somin softly, grabbing the younger girl by the arm as she walks on set.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You know who!”

 

Somin bows to a nearby producer, and gives herself a few seconds to glance over at the current situation. Jihyo’s chatting to Sukjin at one side, and Jongkook’s bullying poor Sechan at the other end. “Maybe... maybe they don’t want to call too much attention to them?”

 

“Hmm.” Ha Ha narrows his eyes. This can’t be right! He distinctly remembers them almost walking out hand in hand yesterday. Heck, he thought the maknaes might win the bet! Now they were on opposite ends, acting a little like total strangers.

 

“I thought you said they were almost together yesterday?” Jaesuk comes over, joining them. He received the text a little late yesterday, after making sure Kwangsoo was alright. “Were you just tricking me so you could win the bet?”

 

“Hyung, if you just got KakaoTalk...”

 

“Don’t change the subject.”

 

“Oppa, I swear they were a lot less cold yesterday.” Somin jumps in, frowning. It’s sad enough that they’ll be filming without Kwangsoo, and now knowing her favourite couple (at this point, she’s going right ahead and calling them one) might have had a fight? Or worse — called off the arrangement? Maybe they realized fake dating wasn’t a good idea. Or Jihyo decided Jongkook was a horrible person and moved out! She couldn’t just stand here and let that happen. “Don’t worry, guys! I’ll talk to her and figure things out.”

 

“Yah yah!” Both Ha Ha and Jaesuk cry out in unison, pulling her back before she goes over.

 

“You’re too blunt.” Donghoon groans.

 

“Let them handle it.” Jaesuk advices instead. “Maybe we’re over-meddling.”

 

And so they continue filming, whilst watching from afar. It’s very peculiar, seeing them avoid one another. No one mentions it, and eventually Somin tries to make up for Kwangsoo’s absence by throwing herself into the shoot. Sechan matches her enthusiasm, and so does Jaesuk, as always. But for some reason, Jihyo’s quieter than before, even after Jaesuk tries to lure her in by teasing her outfits. Even more confusing? Jongkook does nothing to take the bait, choosing to stand by the side.

 

“Yeah, something’s wrong.” Sukjin admits as they set up for the next part of filming. It’s a little bizarre if even Sukjin notices something going on. “I’m her partner so maybe she might say something to me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter