one

In The Wrong Order
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You know that moment when you do something really stupid and it only hits you when the consequences come in?

 

Yeah, Jihyo’s feeling that way now.

 

She sighs, shaking the devices in her hand again. Maybe it malfunctioned. Like all six of them. They were all faulty and she wasn’t truly that stupid. She’ll laugh about it and then move on with her life being more careful and less... well, stupid.

 

She can’t possibly be pregnant.

 

But of course those things don’t lie, and all six of them still show double lines. Double lines for positive. Positive as in ‘congratulations, you’re ing pregnant!’

 

There were multiple things going in her life right now, and on top of that, the awkwardness going on between her and that Han Namja that knocked her up.

 

How did it happen?

 

She knew biology, even if she didn’t become a doctor. Everyone knew how babies were made, they learn that in middle school, it’s not rocket science. Plus she went to college, damn it! But how did it really happen?

 

It all started when they went out, celebrated, got drunk, and then she found herself in Kim Jongkook’s bed.

 

 

SBS’s entertainment awards, aka the one night in a year Jihyo ever saw people like Jaesuk and Jongkook come close to drinking even a sip of alcohol. The after party is when the fun begins, and it’s always crazy – nobody goes home sober, ever.

 

After another successful year, she was pretty sure Somin was wasted by the side. She checked up on her awhile ago, before she herself got too tipsy, but maybe the younger girl had gone home.

 

Kwangsoo’s long limbs smacked into her before she could even think any further about where Somin might have gone, the lengthy man dancing off beat. He was definitely drunk, and she wasn’t going to be the one to clean up for him. Somewhere else, Sechan was probably going all out with his brother – the siblings were the worst when they were together – so she’s avoiding their path until they sober up, or maybe they’ve left too and she’s just confused.

 

Someone had offered her another shot of soju earlier on and Jihyo was pretty sure this was the drunkest she had ever been in recent years, an achievement in the top ten moments of her life – and she’s drunk plenty in college! She thinks she saw Sukjin leaving an hour or two ago, and maybe Jaesuk giving them money for the cab home too, but everything was definitely a blur now.

 

“Did you see Jongkook hyung? I don’t think I’ve seen him drink so much before.” Kwangsoo finally stops dancing, pulling her away from the crowd and back to their seats.

 

Understandable, the man’s just lost the grand award to Yoo Jaesuk, the highest honour there was. “I think I lost track of everyone after that last round of shots.”

 

“Noona, maybe you should head home soon.” Kwangsoo frowns, watching her stumble through the clasp of her purse three times to find her phone. Sighing, he finally reaches over to help her undo it for her, pulling out her phone without her prompting.

 

“Yah, the night’s still young, go focus on someone else.” Jihyo takes another few tries to get her thumbprint working on her iPhone to unlock the damn thing. “Somin? We need to get that one home safe!”

 

“Her manager came in a while ago when I texted him... Noona, you went to hug her before she left!”

 

Ugh, did she? Somin’s usually the one doing the clinging. “Uh... Donghoon?”

 

“Left with Byul right after Sukjin and Jaesuk left.”

 

“Sechan?”

 

Now Kwangsoo’s convinced she’s definitely too far from sober. “Didn’t he say bye to you a while ago?”

 

She purses her lips, ignoring that and thinking very hard about who she’s left out. “Kim Jongkook?”

 

“Didn’t I just tell you he’s very, very tipsy? In fact... Noona, I think I’m sending you both home now.”

 

Jihyo glares at Kwangsoo for a hot minute,  wondering if he was kidding, but for once the younger man looked serious. Who would have thought Kwangsoo would be the most sober out of all of them, she wouldn’t know.

 

“I think I’m good.” She waves him off, and nearly proceeds to crash into a table if Kwangsoo wasn’t leading her past the doors.

 

“It’s late, anyway.” Kwangsoo gestures to her phone – she managed to unlock it, and now her camera was pointing at their feet. She raises the phone up (how do you close this?) and that’s when they both spot Jongkook attempting to arm wrestle Hong Jinyoung by the side, and losing miserably for some reason.

 

“Hyung, I think... you and noona can split a cab back.” Kwangsoo’s already running up to Jongkook, dragging Jihyo with him. He steps in to stop the muscle man, and poor Jinyoung, from tormenting themselves further.

 

“I’m not done partying.” Jinyoung grins, mistaking Kwangsoo. She’s right – Jinyoung still partied like a twenty one year old college student, and Jihyo’s had enough hangovers from drinking with the trot singer to know.

 

“I meant Jihyo noona.” Kwangsoo explains, and to her credit, Jihyo does a little wave to her good friend Jinyoung, who takes one look at her and stifles a laugh.

 

“Song Jihyo, wasted? Never thought I’d see the day.” Jongkook’s looking no better, flushed red and it’s not from blushing.

 

“Speak for yourself!” Jihyo hisses back, defensive. She’s just had a lot to drink! Not like old man Jongkook over there. He probably drank a full can of beer and promptly got drunk. Then she nearly falls over, if it wasn’t for Jinyoung holding her arm.

 

“Wow, I think... see you next time, oppa. And unnie, I think that last round of drinks was an overkill. I told you not to drink that!” Jinyoung scolds, already leaping off her chair to help Kwangsoo with Jihyo.

 

“You’re no fun.” Jihyo mumbles, knowing very well she was right. Jinyoung only waves, going in for another kiss on the cheek which Jihyo barely dodges.

 

“Remember to thank me in the morning!” Kwangsoo’s really sending them to a car, where their designated driver would send them home. And for the first time that night, Jihyo finds herself noticing how drunk Kim Jongkook is.

 

“Fun night, oppa?” She asks, both of them at the backseat of the car. “And only two drinks, too. One higher than your last party right?”

 

“Ha ha, Jihyo. I’ll let you know I drank Jinyoung’s share of that awful mix Narae made.” Jongkook’s really looking horrible, but she probably was too if she looked how she felt.

 

Somehow, Kwangsoo was able to get his manager to drive them both home. She’s painfully aware of how close he was, and how dark the car was. She’s tipsy, sure, but the night’s still young, and she really wanted to go all out, and she had a feeling Jongkook did too. The older man wasn’t usually the partying type, but he was celebrating another successful year and might have gotten a little carried away.

 

“Oppa, are you really done for the night?”

 

“Are you mocking my alcohol tolerance?” He rolled his eyes. “I can still drink several rounds, it’s just that Kwangsoo’s never seen it before.”

 

“Then why did he send me home too?” Jihyo questions, slightly miffed.

 

“Because you are a horrible drunk! One more and you’ll be sleeping on the dance floor.” Jongkook scoffs, watching the roads turn familiar. His house was closer to the venue, so it made sense that he’ll be home earlier. But it wasn’t fair on poor Kwangsoo’s manager, who would probably have to drive back to pick the burdensome Kwangsoo later. Not to mention, he still had Jihyo to fetch to Mapo, and he knows Jaesuk gave everyone gas or taxi money to get home safely, but Kwangsoo’s manager needed a break.

 

“Hey, you wanna come in for round two?” Jongkook asks, and Jihyo doesn’t hide her surprise. She’s never been to his house before, and honestly even though they’ve met a couple of times for dinner outside the show, she’s never gone somewhere alone with him. Heck, he never even invited her to go on his show!

 

“Do you even have drinks?”

 

“Why does everyone assume I don’t?”

 

“Because,” she places her tiny hand on his bulging arm boldly, “of this?”

 

“Yah, keep your hands to yourself, Song Jihyo. I’m not that drunk yet.”

 

“Hmph. But if you do, let’s go for round two. I’m not done yet.”

 

“I never said you were.” Jongkook shrugs, aware of how the car’s turning into his apartment. “Thanks, we’ll alight here. Please, don’t tell Kwangsoo.”

 

Kwangsoo’s manager, the poor guy, nods. He doesn’t get paid enough for this job, he thinks. Kwangsoo’s always in trouble, and the Running Man gang sometimes scared him too much. Besides, Jongkook’s always giving him great gifts, and Jihyo’s done enough for Kwangsoo for him to be eternally grateful.

 

And so Jihyo and Jongkook alight, but she’s feeling a whole lot more sober at the thought of entering Jongkook’s house. They are friends, that’s what’s years on Running Man does, but it’s really, honesty, the first time she’s entering his house. It’s not that she doesn’t for the rest; they were all at Somin’s housewarming – both times! Kwangsoo’s they’ve trashed loads of times, and Sechan’s once for filming. Dong Hoon’s, when Byul decided that she needed to stop hanging out with the men so much, which she agrees. Sometimes Sukjin and Jaesuk, if they have family gatherings. Never her’s – she just moved into a new apartment after living with her parents for so long, and they will never stop if they ever met Yoo Jaesuk, so maybe she’s dodging a bullet here.

 

But she’s never been to Jongkook’s. She’s not expecting it to be anything, but Jongkook apologizes for the mess.

 

“It’s been awhile since I had a girl over.” He admits, going straight for the fridge while she makes herself comfortable at the couch. He returns with two glasses and an unopened bottle of wine, handling them to her as he navigates through the wine bottle.

 

“Cheer up, you’ll find someone who can tolerate your excessive gym schedules.” She smirks, playing with the wine glasses carefully. He ignores her, and the cork flies off with a satisfying pop, so he fills their glasses. It hits him that they’ve never really been to each other’s houses alone, or gone anywhere in private. Maybe it’s the alcohol kicking in, but he’s very much aware of how close she was.

 

“So, this is how you choose to celebrate 2019? A bottle of wine in your apartment with your coworker?” Jihyo asks, having taken a sip and waiting for the alcohol to kick up a notch.

 

“Not just any coworker.” Jongkook looks over to her meaningfully. “The most irritating one.”

 

“Yah.” She warns, smiling a little. “Seriously though. You could have stayed longer, why let Kwangsoo force you home?”

 

“Sometimes I’m not in the mood to entertain.” He shrugs, downing more of the red wine. It’s not exactly his style to be drinking so much in one sitting, but seeing his friends go wild... it did something to him. He’s not getting any younger, and despite hanging out with Jinyoung, love lines never worked out in reality. He knows Jinyoung shares the same sentiment as him, to fake a relationship for the cameras. Sometimes entertaining others meant taking a hit on your own private life, and he’s known this since his Turbo days… but sometimes, just sometimes, he wishes it didn’t.

 

He glances over to Jihyo, still downing her wine even with the hint of pink on her cheeks. They’ve long changed out of their formal attire before the par

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter