nineteen

In The Wrong Order
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How was your week?” Jaesuk asks, smug as he pats Jongkook’s knee teasingly. 

 

“It was good.”

 

There’s a glow from the perfect week he had with Jihyo in Jeju, but now they had to go back to work. Unfortunately for them, their nosy friends have been dropping subtle hints and annoying them since they got to set for Running Man. And it’s even worse for him — he’s sharing a waiting area with these snooping men. At least Jihyo didn’t have her usual interrogator (Somin) to deal with.

 

“Just good?” Kwangsoo adds, joining his partner in crime. “You’re still smiling.”

 

Jongkook immediately reaches up to touch his face, hiding his upturned lips from view of the interrogation crew. “So?”

 

“It means you had .” Ha Ha steps in, blunt as ever. 

 

Jongkook scowls, punching his dongsaeng in the arm. “None of your business.”

 

“Here’s a tip: next time you take a vacation, don’t post it on social media.” Sukjin suggests, joining the gang as Ha Ha yelps in the corner, rubbing his arm sadly.

 

“Somin nearly wanted to call, but I held her off.” Kwangsoo shrugs. “You’re welcome.”

 

“She’s not so bad... She’s just been really bored at home.” Sechan defends, and the men all turn to stare at him. 

 

“It’s really hard to believe you when you say you two don’t have any intentions of getting together.” Ha Ha comments drily, shaking his head. “I had to sit through the same thing for Jongkook hyung, so you better make a move if you’re going to end up with Somin ten years after this.”

 

Jongkook smacks him in the arm for the second time in minutes, and this time Ha Ha doesn’t bother to hide his pain, wincing and complaining loudly. “Hey! It’s true!”

 

“It doesn’t matter, they are still in the dating phase.” Kwangsoo groans, rolling his eyes. “Dating! You took a vacation to Jeju and you’re still dating one another? How slow can you two be?”

 

About that... it’s not that they don’t trust their friends, but Jongkook and Jihyo both decided not to tell anyone about the next step in their relationship. Only their closest friends knew the truth, but it didn’t hurt to keep it a secret from them. 

 

At most, they’ll probably get the peace they longed for before the teasing increased tenfold and then Jongkook might have to consider threatening his dongsaengs. 

 

“As long as they are happy.” Sechan cuts in again.

 

“You don’t get to say anything, you’re texting Jeon Somin and living in denial.”

 

“Knock it off, guys.” Jaesuk stops them, ever the mediator. “But seriously, if you need our help in a confession or something...”

 

“Yeah, as if we’d be any help. You proposed to your wife in a car, remember?” Sukjin reminds, unimpressed. “And this is the man that got down on one knee to give her a promise ring. I’m old, and even I admit no one’s given one of those in decades.”

 

“Yeah? You’re no better! Old and unromantic.”

 

“Take that back!”

 

Jongkook sighs, waiting for the impending bickering to come. It does, as the oldest members start talking over one another about romantic gestures and heartfelt confessions they’ve done for their wives, while Donghoon and Kwangsoo chime in periodically. 

 

“Hyung, do you know how hard it is to still be single?” Sechan complains, watching the rest continue their squabble. 

 

Jongkook only pats his dongsaeng on the back. “Can’t help you with that, Sechan ah. Maybe you might want to ask Somin out just to even the score.”

 

“... I can’t win anywhere.”

 

 

Filming is hectic, especially since they have Jessi on. It’s a nice break from having to mindfully include the guests in the segments when she‘s outspoken enough on her own. Jongkook doesn’t get to be on the same team as Jihyo, but she’s well taken care of by Sechan (she’s still not talking to Donghoon after his little stunt last week). He has to talk to the PDs about that one day — not Donghoon’s obsession to be a relationship guru, but being in the same team as her. 

 

“Oppa.” Jihyo calls while they are preparing to throw paint around at one another, dragging over her newest dongsaeng.  “This is Jiyoung.”

 

“Oh?” Jongkook nods, greeting the newcomer. He hasn’t had the time to properly talk to those not on his team yet. “Nice to meet you, your new song will definitely be a hit!”

 

“Thank you! Unnie told me about your intentions to name your baby Jiyoung.” Jiyoung smiles, jumping right in. “I think it’s really pretty. Congrats on the engagement!”

 

“Jihyo, are you oversharing again?” 

 

“She’s really cute! We both like to stay home.” Jihyo defends, patting Jiyoung’s shoulder happily while Jongkook tries to hide his amusement. 

 

“Actually, unnie’s really helping me! I was a little nervous about today but I’ve been having fun.” 

 

“I’m glad you are.” Jongkook nods, grinning. Then Jiyoung excuses herself politely, leaving the two of them alone. 

 

He turns to her, ignoring the whispers surrounding them from the crew. They’ve got to get some privacy before their castmates found out and teased them too, so he guides her along to a corner in pretense of prepping for the game. “I think it’s really cute you’re adopting female guests while Somin’s not here.”

 

“I’m starting to go crazy.” Jihyo sighs. “I don’t know how I survived before.”

 

Jongkook laughs, folding his arms so as to avoid giving her a kiss on her nose. “You’re also very adorable for thinking about our baby’s name while we’re filming.”

 

“What? Her name is literally Jiyoung! Don’t you find that too much of a coincidence? It’s got to be a sign.”

 

“You’re right. And it’s much better than hearing Kwangsoo speculate about what we did over the week.” 

 

She laughs as he turns the corner, trying to find an empty room or hallway. “Did he give you a hard time?”

 

“He keeps going on and on about how I should make a move and make you my girlfriend.” Jongkook shudders, rolling his eyes. “Something about how he stepped up with Sunbin. You’re killing me here, how long do you want to hide this from them?”

 

“Just long enough until we can get some peace.” Jihyo smirks, bowing to some crew members. “Are you breaking into a sweat over this, boyfriend?”

 

“Of course not.” He scoffs, spotting a quieter place without walking staff around. “It’s just not very fun when they keep instigating that I’m not very romantic.”

 

“They should be ashamed of themselves, especially Ha Ha oppa. He sold his own children out for a date with Byul!”

 

“You’re never letting that one go, aren’t you?”

 

“Of course not!”

 

“As much as I’d love to discuss more about how horrible our friends are, we don’t have a lot of time.” He admits as they finally walk into one of the empty waiting rooms, closing the door behind them. 

 

“We don’t?”

 

“Nope, because we’re going to take a five minute break.” Jongkook whispers, closing the gap between them hastily. He’s been waiting all day for this break; he’s going to get it now. “And we’re going to spend our time wisely before they come find us.”

 

“I like what you’re thinking.” Jihyo smirks, pulling him closer while she wraps her arms around his neck. 

 

“Then what are you waiting for?”

 

She giggles, pressing her lips against his as their kiss turns hungry and heated. It’s very risky to be making out on set right in the middle of their break, but the thrill and adrenaline spur them on. What’s the worst that can happen? Their secret was already out. 

 

At least she’d get five more minutes alone with him. 

 

 

Going back to reality also meant going back to their respective rooms, and for Jongkook, his schedules and shootings. 

 

After wrapping up another episode of Running Man and dinner, they head home to his apartment where Jihyo finds her bed too empty to sleep in. The nagging voice in her head pushes her to give up after tossing and turning for the umpteenth time that night, but she’s not going to tiptoe out and pretend to get water just so she might bump into Jongkook. She’s not so needy like that, but what if he’s up too? 

 

This relationship was starting to bring out the clinginess in her.

 

It’s a good thing he knocks on her door before she gets to go through another round of mind games with her own self. Jihyo lets him know that the door is unlocked, and he opens it slowly, peeping through the crack. 

 

“Oppa? Is something wrong?” She steps out from her bed to meet him, opening the door wider.

 

“Yeah. I mean, no. It’s not very important.” Jongkook runs a hand through his hair, nervous. ”I was just lying on my bed, and... You weren’t there.”

 

Her heart pounds against her chest in anticipation as she raises a brow. See what she thought about him being up as well? “That’s because you’re in your room and I’m here.”

 

“I know, but I was thinking...” He trails off, sitting on the bed beside her while she makes space for him, clearing her pillows. “We should get a nursery up.”

 

“You’re thinking about this at midnight?” Jihyo questions, eyeing her phone screen. “And you called me cute for thinking about our baby’s name during filming.”

 

“Well... it did come from something else I was thinking about.” Jongkook admits, letting her lean on his shoulder. “So I needed an excuse to come find you.”

 

“You don’t need one.” She laughs. “This is literally your house and your guest room.

 

“But what if I wanted to turn it into a nursery?”

 

She tilts her head up to look back at him, surprised. “Really?”

 

“We need to start preparing. Not just a list of names, but clothes, toys, a crib...” He takes her hands gently, smiling lightly. “And I think we could redecorate this room into something nicer for our baby girl. Do you think pink is a nice colour? Or is too stereotypical? Wait, is that bad?”

 

“I feel like you’re straying away from your main topic again.” Jihyo frowns, confused. ”If we tur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter