three

In The Wrong Order
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If how Jongkook finds out is a drama in itself, then how Jihyo’s mother finds out is the sequel.

 

She’s discharged in the morning, just before noon, and Doctor Choi tells her not to miss her next appointment. It’s more of a warning – she’ll need to be careful around the doctor, she’s a very persistent woman.  It’s like an episode of some drama she might have read a script of, because her manager (bless his heart, he knows about the baby but doesn’t press) helps her with her ridiculous balloons and gifts the Running Man crew and cast had just sent over thinking she really was exhausted, when Kim Jongkook steps in like he’s her boyfriend or something. 

 

“Oppa?” Jihyo questions. Is this a set up? “Why are you here?”

 

It’s complicated, she tells herself. Because he’s the baby daddy (ugh), but in no way was he her guardian angel all of a sudden.

 

Her manager, who’s been very quiet about the situation for a long time, can’t help but say a few witty remarks. “You could have let me sleep in if you had just told me your boyfriend was coming.”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend.”

 

“I’m not her boyfriend.”

 

Her manager’s been with her for years, through thick and thin, through different managements and projects, but she’s never seen him so judgmental before. He hands the balloons and the cursed giraffe plush Kwangsoo managed to buy from the gift store over to Jongkook, who’s still reeling from his comment. “I’ll see you on Friday to discuss your schedule, Jihyo.” He says, eyeing them with a sly grin, and turns to go before Jihyo can hit him and tell him not to leave her alone with Kim Jongkook.

 

But alas, they are alone. Again.

 

Jongkook rubs the back of his neck sheepishly with his free hand, looking extra ridiculous with the balloons and giraffe balancing on his other. “I told your manager I’d come get you.”

 

“You what?” She’s going to fire her manager oppa, she knows it.

 

“Jihyo.” He stops her, then takes the remaining bag of flowers and supplements  gifted from the crew that she’s holding. “You shouldn’t be lifting heavy things.”

 

“So now I’m handicapped? Oppa, this is ridiculous. Just last week you were chasing me down the hallways to tear my nametag!” She fumes as she follows him out into the hospital lobby, where they both enter the lift.

 

“I didn’t know last week.” Jongkook whispers back, aware that they are in a hospital, and not a loud concert arena. He hits the button for the carpark, and then they are alone in the lift, away from the nurses and doctors and patients. Just the two of them, finally. “Jihyo, stop this. You know very well why I’m here.”

 

She does. And they are still tiptoeing over it. She realizes that they have a lot to discuss too, more than what she and her management and manager have. What’s she going to do for the next few months? And after she has the baby? How about living arrangements? What’s she going to tell her own mother? Her brother, who’s been going to the same gym as Jongkook? Her sister and father? Oh god, what’s she going to tell her fans, the public? What’s going to happen to–

 

“Jihyo, breathe.” Jongkook’s hand is on her shoulder, and she jumps at the touch, nearly ramming her head into the bulletin on the wall on the side of the lift. Then his hands are on her head, awkwardly steadying her and checking that she wasn’t injured.

 

This time, Jihyo doesn’t flinch, and instead finds herself staring up at Kim Jongkook, her eyes wide. She’s painfully aware of how close he is, how he’s cradling her head gently and how there’s no one in this bloody lift except the two of them.

 

You know, if she shut her eyes and concentrated... she could just remember that night of passion in his bed, drunk and wild. Blood rushes to her cheeks as she thinks about how they’ve been in a more compromising position than this, and now she’s like a ert and prude all combined into one for being this awkward.

 

A beat passes. The elevator chimes to warn them of their stop, and he quickly pulls his hands away to pick up the balloons and bags while she clears and looks away. There’s no one outside the lift as they exit, thank god, giving her a chance to think about what just happened.

 

Okay, that was strange. They were too tensed to be doing this to one another. There’s no way she’s going to survive the next seven months, and the rest of her life with this feeling.

 

She doesn’t even know where he’s bringing her next. They’ve both reached his car, where she opens the damn door by herself because she’s not handicapped, damn it, and he unloads the things at the back. It takes all but a matter of seconds, and then he’s heading to the driver’s seat and they have another round of horrible, awkward few seconds where he just stares at the road.

 

“I, um... I don’t know where you live.” Jongkook confesses, once he realizes she’s not going to speak first.

 

“Coming to my home? You already knocked me up.” Jihyo mutters, and she swears to god, but Jongkook’s face goes beet red at that comment.

 

“Oh, oppa. It’s a joke. I promise.” And she’s blushing too. What the hell was wrong with her? One second she’s awkward with him and the next she’s making jokes? “, this isn’t working, huh?” She mumbles as she buries her head in her hands, hoping to hide her embarrassment.

 

He straightens up quickly at that, looking over. “We need to talk.”

 

Is he having second thoughts? God, this won’t work. They are too tensed to be doing this, and there’s a million unanswered questions! “I want this.” She blurts out. “Last night hasn’t changed anything.”

 

“I know, me too.” Jongkook says, and for a brief second, their eyes meet. He does want this. So badly, and he’ll do whatever awkward drives for the rest of his life if it meant this.

 

Maybe it’s because she’s been his colleague and friend for too long, but she can read him like the back of her hand. So she reaches over to his GPS, keys in her address, and leans back into her seat. “For the record, I don’t have any alcohol in my house.”

 

“I’ll believe it when I see it.” Jongkook laughs, and she relaxes slightly, her hand clutching the stupid giraffe toy that’s found its way to her. Just a ride back. And then they’ll talk, that’s it. They can do this.

 

Except the silence is so tensed she wants to dive under the comforts of her blanket and hide from the world once she gets back home.

 

Somewhere in between the uncomfortable silence of the ride, she falls asleep, and it isn’t until they’ve reached when Jongkook nudges her gently awake, and she sits up groggily, taking in her surroundings. “You slept the entire ride.” He says worriedly, as if she doesn’t always do that.

 

“I was tired.” She shrugs. And nauseous. But no one’s asking. The way he watches her, like he’s about to send her back to the hospital, makes her feel warm and weird inside. “Stop it, I’m fine.”

 

He nods curtly, unconvinced, but steps out to gather her things, and this time, he opens the door for her, and she resists the urge to roll her eyes. She’s not handicapped! Still, she picks up the stupid giraffe she’s been holding the entire ride, and lets him guide her out of the car.

 

“It’s this way.” She mumbles, leading him up her apartment complex, and they both avoid the security guards she usually stops to chat with for a while before heading up. Not this time. There’s nothing in the world that can explain what the heck she’s doing with Kim Jongkook.

 

“It looks nice... anyone been here before?” Jongkook asks as they find themselves in another elevator ride up.

 

“Donghoon oppa, because he dropped me off too many times. Um, I guess that means Sukjin and Jaesuk oppas too.” Jihyo lists, talking about her fellow Mapo-gu neighbour and their older members. “Sominie – she likes to do those unannounced cafe dates. Kwangsoo, because he won’t leave me alone! Seriously, he’s more high maintenance than all of you combined!”

 

“Are you saying Sechan and I are the only ones who have never come to your apartment?” Does he sound jealous? She’s imagining it, surely.

 

“Yup.” A little white lie won’t go anywhere, but Sechan came over with Somin once.

 

“You’ve never invited me over.” He sounds like a jealous kid now.

 

“You’ve never asked.” She shoots back, and the elevator stops at her floor. They walk to her apartment, and that’s when she notices the shoes. Oh , what the hell?

 

“Are you expecting anyone?” Jongkook isn’t dense, because she stares at the pair of shoes outside her door for a good few seconds. “Is this a bad time?”

 

“Promise me you don’t say anything stupid.” Jihyo murmurs, and the door opens before she can follow up with an explanation. Mrs Cheon stands with her apron on and her eyes widen as she spots her daughter and her daughter’s colleague standing outside the house, carrying a bunch of balloons, bags, and was that a toy giraffe?

 

“Seong Im.” Her mother narrows her eyes. “What is the meaning of this?”

 

Oh whatever, she’s doing this. Jihyo snakes her arm around Jongkook’s waist, and pulls herself to him, never mind how he freezes for a second and she has to lean her head against his shoulder to make her point. “Hi, omma.”

 

 

“I KNEW IT!” Jihyo’s mother sits on the couch with her daughter and Kim Jongkook holding hands and acting every bit like the couple they were. “Oh, honey. I’m so happy for you! And Jongkook! I guess I should talk to your mother! I watch her every week on that show, what’s it called?”

 

“Mom’s Diary.” Jihyo mutters, uncomfortable.

 

“Oh, you’re such a filial son, Jongkook. My only son – Seong Moon – what a brat! Tell him, Seong Im.”

 

She’s going to die in her own grave in embarrassment soon, and maybe the way she squeezes Jongkook’s hand with hers might have been the sign for him to step in. “Eomeonim, I’ve met him before. He’s very caring to his sister.” He supplies helpfully, painfully aware that they are holding hands in front of her mother and pretending to be a couple.

 

“Oh, right! He’s been on Running Man, I can’t believe this! Does your brother know? Speaking of the show, why did you come back the next day?” Jihyo’s mother questions, then laughs a little. “Never mind, I’m so silly! Of course you were with Jongkook, I’m not old you know, I know what couples like and –“

 

“I was in the hospital!” Jihyo blurts out before her mother can say anything about . She is not having a conversation with her mother about spending the night at Kim Jongkook’s, the man who’s holding her hand like it’s her lifeline.

 

“Seong Im?” Mrs Cheon reaches over to inspect her face and body, trying to find a scratch. “Did that show tire you out again? I told you, stop acting like you’re invincible, why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I... I’m pregnant.” Jihyo admits weakly, watching her mother’s face turn from worry to... joy?

 

“Omo. Pregnant?” Her mother clutches her arm like she’s about to collapse herself. “Oh, congrats! Oh my, this is all so sudden! When were you going to tell me? Jongkook, welcome to the family! If I hadn’t thought of coming down to surprise you, I wouldn’t have known.”

 

She’s not even going to mention the fact that she just unload

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter