The First FaceTime

QUARANTINE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the information she got from the drone of her neighbor, Lee Chaeyeon searches for "Miyawaki Sakura" on the internet once she got back to her apartment. There are not many results, and most of them are about Sakura's feature articles. Sakura is a feature reporter and photographer. Her most recent story was just uploaded on a popular site last night. It is stories on the Asian community in New York City under the pandemic. Her pictures are so stunning that Chaeyeon found herself in tears even before reading the words. She then clicks into the "About the author" and found just a simple profile:

"Miyawaki Sakura, Asian American journalist. Born and grew up in Queens, New York. Ms. Miyawaki obtained her BA in Journalism and East Asian Studies, NYU and has now settled in Seoul, Korea."

She is American, and her name is Japanese, so why would she end up in Korea? Chaeyeon is intrigued. She continues the search and it seems that Sakura seldom posts on her social media. The last time she shared some news on Facebook was 9 months ago, and her IG is practically empty except for one short aerial clip named "test 1".

Without knowing the reason why, Chaeyeon suddenly feels obsessed wanting to know how Sakura really looks, and sounds like – does she speak English or Japanese? (Chaeyeon is learning both languages).

Amazingly, there is just a thumbnail picture of Sakura on the internet (next to "About the author"). Chaeyeon groans in frustration and suddenly hits her own head with her palm – You have her number! Lee Chaeyeon you are such an idiot!

Instead of sending a text, Chaeyeon sends Sakura a Facetime request. Sakura accepts almost immediately before Chaeyeon can change her mind.

"Hi!" Sakura looks surprised but she is smiling nonetheless.

Chaeyeon's heart skips a beat. Sakura is much much much prettier than she has imagined. And her voice...

"Hi...I...eh...I'm making breakfast that's why...eh..."

Sakura laughs quietly, "it has been half an hour since you went back to your apartment."

"I..." Chaeyeon feels her cheeks burning, "well...I was feeding the dogs...oh, I am practicing intermittent fasting, so..."

"So what are you cooking?" Sakura adjusts her phone camera so that Chaeyeon can have a better look at what she is doing. "I ate and am cleaning the kitchen."

Her voice is so gentle and soft that it sounds like a marshmallow, sweet and slightly sticky with the nasal sound, but her intonation is crispy and clean. She speaks Korean like a native with a small American accent.

"Eh...kimchi fried rice," Chaeyeon says and adjusts the phone to make sure Sakura sees her busy with the ingredients.

"Kimchi fried rice for breakfast!" Sakura's face lits up, "Just listening to the name sounds delicious. My mom makes very delicious kimchi fried rice. When I was in grade school, she would put the rice in a thermos food jar for my lunch, and my classmates either envy me or laugh at me. Some called me 'Kimchee' in a nasty way and I would go home and cry, and my mom will make me sandwiches the next day."

"Oh, your mom is truly Asian that loves rice!" Chaeyeon comments casually.

Sakura's smile freezes, "you've checked on me."

Chaeyeon is taken aback, "what?"

Sakura turns her back against Chaeyeon to hang her towels, "only those people who know my background will use the word 'Asian' here in Korea."

There is no problem to check out a new friend. Chaeyeon tries her best to assure herself she has done nothing wrong.

"Well...sorry about that if you feel offen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter