CHAPTER 3

Love Formula

“So, Wheein-Unnie likes it?”

Yong nodded excitedly. “She said you were late for three weeks but it was worth the wait, Yongsun-ssi.”, as the older girl tried to mimic her favorite lecturer. Byul who’s sitting beside her on the bus gave her iconic mocking smirk, “You’re too whipped over her, Yong. I know she’s cool and all, but this,” as she poked on one of Yong’s mouth corner dimples,” has been used too much for today. Don’t you think?”

Instantly, pout was formed on . “You don’t understand, Byul-ah. She-”

“-the best graduate of her year, one of the hip young scriptwriters in South Korea now, has won so many film festivals locally and also internationally. In short, she's a perfect human being in your eyes and you like her.”

Slightly annoyed at Byul’s remarks being on point, Yong snapped, “Admiring is the right word. But yeah, she’s perfect and her words mean a lot for me.” 

The younger girl groaned in frustration, “Yong, she agreed with your decision to make your main character die! Where’s the love in that story?”

Right before Yong so readily shouted back, a man who sat behind them poked the older girl's shoulder and gestured to them to tone down their voices. Yong gave her an apologetic smile before turning her head back to the younger girl and whispered in an icy tone, “It’s her dream to die while projecting a film.”

Byul laughed evilly, “Well, well, how could someone with the sun on her name could be so dark, Miss Kim?”

“Well, no better than an angsty Director that couldn’t choose her own film’s ending.” as slowly forgetting about the tone-down voice situation.

Byul stared at her deeply, “We, all of the people, have that privilege but you, you ruined it for the sake of dramatic .”

“You put too much of your personal feelings into your works, Byul-ah.”

“You’re theorizing art too much, Yong.”

Both ended their argument as the bus arrived at their destination.

---

Byul was walking fast and purposefully leaving a confused Yong behind.

Did I do something that makes Byul mad? asked the older girl on her mind. To tell the truth, today is such an exhausting day for Kim Yongsun. No matter how happy she is as her story gets accepted by Wheein-Unnie, she couldn’t stop questioning Byul’s weird attitude.

Right after Byul woke up in Yong’s apartment, she kept ignoring her. It was getting worse as she chose to sit with Mino Oppa through-out the classes and let Yong sit by herself. The older girl thought that maybe she’s still mad for being left alone in the bedroom last night, but was it really such a bad crime?

So, being the older and also the mature one, Yong decided to invite herself to Byul’s apartment as soon as the last class ended. Of course, Byul refused at first but as soon as Yong grabbed her hand tightly and dragged her into the bus stop, she gave up. Well, she kinda gave up because not even once she let go of the younger girl’s hand until they sat safely on the bus. 

Who could have thought that the first conversation they both had today would end up in a stupid fight? 

“Yong!”

“Huh?” as Byul woke Yong from her own thought.

“Keep walking, will you?” 

Yong might be stubborn but since the day that they decided to be friends, Yong had never refused anything that the other girl asked. Even though her nature to debate can’t be changed, she never let her complaining go over more than 5 minutes. In fact, she always let Byul get whatever she wanted. But, somehow, this simple request felt too big to handle as her anger slowly rose up.

“No.” She paused, “Not until you’re explaining why you’re being such a for almost an entire day?!”

Byul crossed her arm on the chest, “You really like to make a scene in public, huh?”

The older girl made the same gesture,” Because you will ignore me as soon as we get into the apartment and for your information, the one that made a scene was you, not me.”

Both glared at each other and waited for the other one to talk first. As Yong bit her lips to prevent her tears from coming out from her eyes, Byul finally gave up. “I promise I’ll talk.”

---

Yong sat nervously on the sofa bed while Byul took out some cold drinks from the refrigerator. As she joined the older girl and gave her favorite peach drink, she asked softly, “Are you still mad at me, Yong?”

The other girl eyed her in confusion, “It should be my question, Byul-ah.” 

Byul smiled a little before putting her head on Yong’s lap. She looked at her best friend’s sad face, “I’m sorry. You’re not doing anything wrong, okay? I- I just-”

“Just what?”

“Just hated the fact that you left me on the sofa alone.”

“What?”

“I told you to not leave me anymore, right? Yet, you easily moved to the dining table. So, I can’t help but feel betrayed. ”

“You know, you’re being ridiculous, right?”

Byul nodded in agreement, “ But, I don’t like it when someone broke a promise. ”

Yong clicked her tongue, “As much as I find it cute, I still can’t accept your reason. First, I’m not leaving you because I’m technically still in the same room as you. Two, it was my assignment. Three, I let you sleep on my shoulder for almost three hours. Four, I moved because I couldn’t handle the pain anymore, okay.” while she massaged her own shoulder. 

“I’m sorry”, Byul Yong’s hand, “I really am.”

“You idiot.” as Yong pet the younger girl’s head softly. 

---

An apologetic Byul asked Yong’s forgiveness through food, while Yong showed her approval by making the younger girl deliver pizza and not tteokbokki. It might be a subtle act, but at least, for the two girls, it meant understanding. 

“Why did you buy three boxes?” 

Byul took the pizza from the delivery man and walked with a big smile toward Yong. “Because we’re celebrating something.”

“What?”

“Our first fight.” which was replied by Yong’s dolphin laughs.

---

One and a half boxes of pizza later, Byul who still has some melancholy feeling inside her asked Yong to sit between her legs and leaned on her chest. Surprisingly, Yong agreed immediately. As the older girl positioned herself, Byul embraced her and put her head on Yong’s shoulder softly. 

“Your story is good, Yong. I like it.”

She chuckled, “I know.”

“But, still, I hate the ending.”

“Not every death is a grief.”

“You romanticize death.”

“For some story, it’s needed, Byul-ah.”

“Okay” The younger girl hugged her tighter. “Agree to disagree.”

“Agree to disagree.”

Both relaxed into each other’s warmth and let the comfortable silence surround them. Even, the insensitive Yong couldn’t help but softly put her head on Byul’s just so they could get closer. But it was also Yong that broke the silence, “Should we continue the series?”

“Not in the mood.”

“You’re a film student, for god sake.”

Byul groaned in frustration. 

“What do you want, then?”

“You.”

In reflex, Yong pulled away from Byul’s embrace and turned her body to find a shocked face from the other girl. “Please, tell me you’re joking.”

“Of course, I was!”

She sighed in relief but forgot the fact that Byul could be misunderstood by her action. “Byul-ah, I don’t want to have a second fight, so hear me out first, okay?”

“Spill, because I really don’t mind the second fight” as she snapped.

, I’m so tired of today

“This might sound weird but please do not joke around about that because I should say yes if it was real.”

Byul looked at her weirdly, “What the are you trying to say, Yong?”

“I- I have promised Yonghee that I would agree to date the first person that confessed to me.”

“The ?”

To calm her best friend, Yong decided to tell her the detailed story which somehow doesn’t calm the other person at all. 

“You- are you stupid?!”

Yong nodded in agreement, “I know.”

“So you mean, anyone could be your first lover?”

“Hm.”

Unconsciously, Byul has hugged both of her knees and sighed deeply while looking down as she tried to hide her confused face. Yong shook her up while begging for her to stop sulking. 

---

This was the second time that she’s staring at the other girl’s sleep face in her place and somehow, both of the experiences felt so different. If the first time was full of curiosity and resentment, then the second time was full of mixed feelings. 

To be honest, Byul has no idea what she should think or feel. Because the only thing she knew for sure was that she doesn’t want to lose Yong. And the fact that any minute in the near future, Yong would have a lover gave her a headache. Especially, when the future lover would only need to confess.

She still can’t get how Yong’s brain works. Most of the time, she’s brilliant but sometimes, she’s just so ing stupid.

Should I confess?

She dismissed the thought as soon as it popped on her mind. Because she knew the feeling that she has towards the other girl isn’t the kind of love she had with her exes. Well, maybe it’s a not yet situation kind of thing, but still, what matters is the present because Yong deserves someone that actually loves her. Not someone who wants to trap her just because she's scared of losing her. 

God, help me.

---

Thank you for the birthday greetings! <3

And as always, thank you for subscribing and giving comments on this story.