Chapter 9

Princess and the Pauper

The dinner went smoothly if you didn’t count the prior confrontation between Wonyoung and Minjoo. Wonyoung then confessed that she always used that tactic to rile up Hitomi’s previous boyfriends and girlfriend, but refused to tell Minjoo what their average reaction was.

 

But that didn’t matter, because Wonyoung approved of her being Hitomi’s girlfriend and had high hopes for them to make babies soon. A suggestion that was wholeheartedly accepted by Hitomi with a very determined expression.

 

Minjoo? Not so much.

 

The Alpha was shocked to hear Hitomi and babies in the same sentence.

 

“We've only dated for a month!” Minjoo sputtered, blushing when all attention was focused on her. “That was too fast!”

 

Hyewon raised an eyebrow. “I let Chaeyeon ed me the first time we met.”

 

Now, all eyes were on Hyewon. Chaeyeon was staring at her significant other in disbelief while the others were in disgust. Hyewon didn’t look bothered the slightest.

 

“What? It was a one-night stand,” Hyewon elaborated, trailing off. “And she came back for more and what do you know, we’re engaged now.”

 

“That was so unromantic.” Hitomi shook her head. “Minjoo and I, on the other hand…” Hitomi didn’t finish her sentence. She clasped her hands together, sighing dreamily as she looked at Minjoo, lost in her fantasy.

 

Everyone rolled their eyes, except for Minjoo. She didn’t do anything that romantic to Hitomi, did she?

 

“Yeah yeah, Juliet. It’s already so late now, perhaps Romeo would like to take you back home?” Nako suggested with a smirk.

 

--

 

“Is that okay for you, Minmin? It’s either coming with you or with them,” Hitomi pointed at Hyewon and Chaeyeon who looked like they were about to eat each other's faces at any moment. Hitomi made a disgusted face. “And I honestly prefer going with you.”

 

“Usually, I don’t mind but I’m borrowing my uncle’s car to get here and I can’t bring you to your apartment since it’s frankly on the other side of the city.” Minjoo dangled the car key for Hitomi to see. “But if you don’t mind staying in my apartment for the night… you don’t mind a ty car and a small apartment, do you?”

 

The phrase staying for the night caused a lopsided smile to appear on Hitomi’s lips. Forget about her spoiled side that was disgusted at anything remotely poor. Being with Minjoo was the greatest luxury in the world! “I’ll stay for the night,” she declared, purring.

 

Wonyoung made a face, catching up quickly. “Ew, are you going to this quick?”

 

“NO!”

 

“What happened to ‘we’ve only dated for a month?’

 

Minjoo only responded with incoherent screaming because Hitomi had already dragged her outside.

 

--

 

Once the Alpha-Omega couple disappeared, Wonyoung immediately gave an alarmingly brilliant and dazzling smile and then—screamed, squealed like a fangirl.

 

“Minjoo unnie is so perfect for Hitomi unnie!” Squealed the teenager proudly. She opened her arms, demanding a hug by aggressively patting her thighs. “NAKO UNNIE! I NEED MY DAILY DOSE OF HUG!”

 

“No!” Was Nako’s adamant answer. She looked scared. “The last time I sat on your lap something poked me on the !”

 

“Nako,” Yuri sighed. “That was only her .”

 

“Oh. Okay.” And with just that, Nako sat on Wonyoung’s lap, with Wonyoung quickly wrapped her arms around the hilariously shorter girl and just… cuddled her, with Wonyoung naughtily trying to sink her teeth to Nako’s neck if it wasn’t because of Yujin who stuffed a bread inside her open mouth.

 

“Gee, thanks Yujin unnie.” Wonyoung glared at her. Her voice was muffled by the bread on .

 

“No problem!” Yujin brightly responded, but returned the glare evenly. Then, in a language only two of them can understand, Yujin continued. “Try marking Nako unnie one more time, I dare you. I ing dare you.”

 

Wonyoung wondered how protective Yujin would be if the older girl was an Alpha like her. She was only a Beta and she was this scarily protective to her sister.

 

“By the way,” Wonyoung turned to Hyewon, who much to her disgust, was making out with her Beta partner—right behind a very miserable looking Jo Yuri. “Oh my God. HYEWON UNNIE!”

 

Hyewon quickly broke out from the kiss, but Chaeyeon was still aggressively kissing her neck. The younger Beta’s hands were everywhere. “Yeah, Wonyoungie?”

 

“Are Hitomi unnie and Minjoo unnie longtime friends before this?”

 

“They said it hasn’t for long –stop it, Chae, I’m talking- them knowing each other, I mean. But you noticed it too, didn’t you?”

 

“Yeah,” Wonyoung whispered, snuggling to Nako’s body giddily. “They are so obvious, by the way. They don’t even try to hide it!”

 

--

 

“Are you sure it’s not heavy?”

 

“When it was full, it’s heavy,” Minjoo stated, fixing her grip again for the nth time as they descended the stairs. “But now that it’s empty, it’s very manageable.”

 

“You don’t look comfortable holding that.”

 

Minjoo beamed a smile at her. “Of course. It’s not your hands.”

 

“…”

 

“I’m sorry, that must be too sudden, wasn’t it?” Minjoo sighed, running her fingers through her hair in embarrassment. Her cheeks flushed at the expression on Hitomi's face. “I admit I’ve been weird. It’s been a while since we last met each other.”

 

“Yes, it has,” Hitomi agreed, moving her arms to wrap around Minjoo’s arm again, the one that wasn’t holding the bag. “I’m sorry I can’t always watch you doing your photo shoot.”

 

“Don’t be! It’s fine. I have to get used to it somehow for nearly a year, right? Now that once the contract ends, I’ll not see you anymore?” She was uncomfortable saying that, but it must be said. Their relationship was temporary and if Hitomi didn’t even publicly announce their relationship then it was clear that Hitomi didn’t take their relationship seriously. Minjoo would be only the next of the many Alphas Hitomi would bed with.

 

“Don’t say that,” Hitomi muttered softly, her arms loosening as Minjoo walked slightly ahead of her, opening the door for her. “The contract is for only a year for now, but you can always extend it if you want.” She sighed, waiting for Minjoo to catch up with her steps.

 

“You know well what contract I’m talking about.”

 

“Why do you always remind me of that contract? Does it hurt to just- I don’t know? For us to be a couple?”

 

“...Yes.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Minjoo opened the door for her, smiling sadly. “It’s hard for me.”

 

--

 

“What do you mean it’s hard for you?”

“Hitomi, please… You’re rich, beautiful, and perfect in anything possible. Meanwhile myself? I’m just a dirt poor Alpha that can never make you the happiest Omega in the world.” Minjoo laughed awkwardly, running her fingers through her hair again before ruffling it to frustration. “You’re a princess, meanwhile I’m not even a prince, not even a knight. Heck, not even the servant or the stableboy. I’m just a rag. I can never give you a castle worthy for you, or any expensive gifts!”

 

"I'm... I'm just afraid when I fall in love with you for real, you will toss me aside. Because I'm just a rag you can throw away any time."

 

“Don’t say that… Minjoo…” Hitomi moved to cup Minjoo’s face with her palms. She wasn’t surprised to see how Minjoo’s brown eyes looked so vulnerable right now. “I know it’s too quick, but I really really like you. Honest. So what if you can’t give me a castle? Your tiny apartment is nice, and I feel the safest within your warm arms, not within large cold walls surrounding me everywhere. And so what if you can’t give me expensive gifts? Your hugs and kisses-” Hitomi blushed a deep shade of red as she quickly retracted her hands from Minjoo. “-They are enough for me...” she continued, trailing off shyly.

 

“Hitomi I-”

 

“Just… Just drive!” Hitomi pressed her palms to her burning face. Since when did she become this shy around Minjoo? Usually, it was her making her bold moves that made Minjoo embarrassed, and it was her turn to be embarrassed when Minjoo finally gathered enough courage to reciprocate her actions.

 

Hitomi couldn’t hold it anymore. She squealed.

 

Luckily, Minjoo wasn’t someone who got surprised easily. “T-Tomi?!” She exclaimed, surprised, but her grip on the steering wheel was still steady. “Are- Are you okay?”

 

“Why aren’t you embarrassed right now!”

 

“I didn’t look like it?” Minjoo chuckled nervously. “Well, I didn’t look like it but I’m losing my mind right now, I’m not even kidding.”

 

She was telling the truth because her Wolf thought it was the right time to pop out again and started to poke fun at her change of hearts.

 

“Not going to claim Hitomi you said, well guess what, you foolish child! I know you like her so much!”

 

“I do!” Minjoo moaned in her mind, shortly after Hitomi finished her confession. “But we’re not meant for each other, okay? She’s awesome while I’m not. She’s a diamond while me? Not even a speck of dust!” She moaned again. “For all I know, Hitomi could abandon me any time like Taejun!”

 

“Yes, you’re boring and you’re only a mere nothing compared to her. But this awesome diamond chose you, a boring air particle smaller than dust, rather than someone as awesome as she is!” If her Wolf could physically flick her forehead, it totally would. “Forget about that guy. He’s nothing compared to Hitomi! I expect you to claim her on her next heat! Before she deems you as useless Alpha that you are!”