Chapter 20

Princess and the Pauper

“Good morning, you two! Had a good night together?”

 

Hitomi dodged the question by bowing, greeting the grinning older woman politely. “Good morning, Mrs. Kim.”

 

Mrs. Kim leaned back, arching her left eyebrow as her gaze landed on the young Omega’s neck, her hawk-eyes catching a glimpse of faint purplish splotches on the side of Hitomi’s neck. Well hidden with how it covered with foundation and turtleneck, but still, Mrs. Kim wasn’t easy to fool. Nevertheless, the middle-aged woman said nothing and still beamed her a grin--that grew even wider when the young couple sighed in relief, thinking that she noticed nothing.

 

“Mom, Hitomi, Mom,” Mrs. Kim corrected, palming her own cheek happily. “Going home?”

 

Minjoo shook her head, grasping Hitomi’s curled hand before giving her mother a bright smile. Hitomi blushed a bit, but she smoothly interlaced her fingers with her own in response. “We’re going to visit Grandpa. Then, we’re going to go to the night market and return tomorrow.”

 

“Oh my, this is the longest since you’ve stayed here!” Mrs. Kim said giddily, looking genuinely excited. “Alright, alright! I will ask the maids to clean your room, Hitomi. I hope you enjoy your day with Minjoo!”

 

“Don’t worry Mrs--I mean, Mom,” Hitomi responded shyly. “Everything is just better with Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo didn’t really respond to that remark, but she did drag Hitomi away by her arm after stuttering her byes.

 

Mrs. Kim clasped her hands together, her smile was wide and happy as she watched the young couple disappear from her sight. “Ah, young love. Minjoo is sure lucky to found her soulmate this early in her life.”

 

--

 

The ride was silent for the first few minutes, just like the usual business. And like usual business too, it was Hitomi who ended the comfortable silence.

 

“Minjoo, I was wondering about your family.”

 

The Alpha side-glanced the Omega next to her, raising both eyebrows before she released a querying hum.

 

Hitomi chewed on the bottom part of her lips first, as if she was uncertain about her own question. It was quite an uncomfortable topic, but Hitomi was curious of it. “Are you really poor?”

 

“Back then,” Minjoo answered her question almost immediately. Not quite hurried, but Hitomi could sense Minjoo was a little too eager to explain things. “When I was first presented as a Potential Alpha. My parents had to spend quite a fortune on me. Learning everything just so I can keep up with a real Alpha like Chaewon unnie.”

 

Ah, that’s why. Hitomi kept her gaze on Minjoo, silently asking her to continue.

 

“Economics got better after I turned out to be an Alpha and my parents didn’t need to pay for house rent and any other necessities. My uncle covered it all because I’m the next Head. That’s why my family lives here.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Doesn’t mean he’ll pay for everything, though,” Continued Minjoo, droning on with her story. “Just food, electricity bills, water bills, and taxes. He won’t pay for Gyul oppa’s college and Minhye’s school. Just mine.”

 

“Hey, I thought you said you have scholarships?”

 

“Full-ride,” Minjoo affirmed, nodding. “He didn’t know that. So I thought that it could cover either Gyul oppa or Minhye, but damn, it wasn’t easy. Suppressants, remember? Those nasty things made me broke as hell. Now that I don’t really need to worry about it, I can send more money here.” At the end of her sentence, Minjoo glanced toward her, beaming a smile so gentle it made Hitomi feel heat starting to rise up to her cheeks.

 

“I wouldn’t all be possible without you, Tomi,” she whispered. “I’m thankful for that.”


 

“Hmm…”

 

“I know that look.”

 

“What look? My good look?”

 

Minjoo squinted her eyes, pointedly telling Hitomi she was suspicious of her through the look in her eyes. “You’re plotting something, aren’t you?”

 

Hitomi winked, not at all bothered at the accusation. Usually it would make Minjoo’s heart flutter like a hyperactive butterfly but damn was it worrisome whenever she knew that Hitomi was plotting something.

 

“Bingo.” Hitomi quickly added before Minjoo started her prayer. “I was wondering if Hangyul oppa wanted to work as one of my fitting models. Just like you.”

 

“He what.”

 

Hitomi purposefully ignored her. “Two of my male fitting models just resigned,” Hitomi truthfully told her. “And if you haven’t noticed, the website only has Kim Jaehwan oppa’s face now.”

 

“Oh. Isn’t he the model that looked like you?” She met him before. He strikingly resembled Hitomi, but he was, well, a man and an Alpha. He looked nothing like an Alpha, though.

 

“Yes. So, I hope you’ll deliver this idea to Hangyul oppa. He’s a photography student too, isn’t he?”

 

“No, he’s in a photography club, though. What, you’re going to make him work under Hyewon unnie if plan A didn’t work out?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The sigh escaping Minjoo’s lips was drawn-out, tired, and it was only done to stop herself from cursing, even when Minjoo wasn’t someone to curse. “Hitomi, this is nepotism.”

 

Hitomi waved her hand dismissively. “Not if he actually proved himself as a capable fitting model or photographer. If he did bad, I’ll boot him out.”

 

“Fair,” Minjoo conceded, just as they arrived at a house with a similar model as the Kim’s family mansion, just a little more humble. Before she got out, she took a moment to observe the smirking Omega beside her. “I’m just asking but, you don’t plan on recruiting Minhye too, right?”

 

Hitomi pointed at a random direction. “Are those daisies?”

 

“...Hitomi.”


 

-

 

“Morning, Auntie! Is Grandpa here?”

 

“Why good morning to you, Minjoo-ya! Oh my, who is this gorgeous Omega lady beside you?”

 

“Good morning,” Hitomi politely bowed her head at the elder. “I am Hitomi, Minjoo’s soon-to-be Omega.” She sniffed the air, wrinkling her nose subtly at the scent of daffodil. The sweet but animalic, spicy scent of Narcissus made Hitomi wonder about the middle-aged woman’s true rank.

 

The woman’s severe grey eyes bore into her, making Hitomi unconsciously flinch at the intense gaze focused on her. It was very relieving for her when the elder’s lips split into a wide, toothy grin. “Soon-to-be? How curious!” She gushed, palming her chin as she did so. She gestured to the young couple to come inside, smiling so broad her cheeks must be hurt.

 

“Follow me, Elder Kim is currently entertaining his guest.”


 

-

 

“At last, you’ve finally deigned to visit me!” Bellowed the elderly man who was sitting on the floor, right after Minjoo and Hitomi walked inside the spacious room they were led to. He was, without doubt, Minjoo’s grandfather. Hitomi could see some resemblance. “It is rude to keep a dying old man waiting, Minjoo!”

 

Minjoo smirked at him. “Well, I’m here now, aren’t I? Cut it out, you’re still healthy, Grandpa.” She moved a bit to the side, allowing the old man to acknowledge the unfamiliar woman standing behind his granddaughter. Minjoo gestured to Hitomi. “Grandpa, this is Hitomi. My girlfriend. Hitomi, this is Elder Kim. My Grandfather.”

 

Hitomi bowed politely.

 

“Ah yes, Seongje talked a lot about you!” He gestured at the empty seat across him. He cocked his chin, the corner of his lips twitching. “Do you know Seongje, Minjoo?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Ah, as expected! She never knew your name!” Elder Kim laughed loudly, slapping his folded legs gleefully after a brief turn toward the empty cushion placed right across him. “Your Wolf, Minjoo. Your Wolf is Seongje. He’s a spirit, living in yourself for half of your life! You never knew his name?”

 

“No. I call him Granny,” Minjoo answered truthfully, taking a seat on the left side of the Elder, with Hitomi following suit after Elder Kim allowed her to. “Funny, I thought she’s a lecherous old Granny but turns out he’s just another erted old man.”

 

Elder Kim laughed loudly again after another amused glance to the empty cushion. “Seongje denied that. Anyway, he’s going to rest now that you’re finally strong enough, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo glanced at the empty cushion across her grandfather. She almost felt familiarity creeping in her, and her mind wanted to believe that on that cushion, sat a man with uncanny resemblance to her, with only difference was him having red eyes and dressed in traditional Korean hanbok.

 

She was deep in thought that she didn’t hear what her grandfather was talking about until her ears picked up Hitomi’s name.

 

“Hitomi-sshi, I would like to thank you.”

 

Both Hitomi and herself were surprised at the sudden gratitude. “You’re welcome?” The Omega hazarded, unsure, while she scooted a little closer to Minjoo as if seeking assurance. Something that Minjoo couldn’t give, as she was also unsure about what was her grandfather grateful about.

 

A polite conversation took place after that. A little introduction, a little interrogation (nothing that Hitomi couldn’t handle), and a little (embarrassing) story about Minjoo that made Hitomi significantly comfortable conversing with the imposing old man. Not to mention that the tea Aunt Hyerin served them was perfect for her tastebud.

 

“I presume you visit this old man not without a goal in mind, hmm?”

 

Minjoo halted before she nodded her head, gazing back to her grandfather but not before she put the teacup back to its place. Out from the corner of her eyes, she could see Hitomi doing the same.

 

“I actually wanted to ask you about the Granny Wolf, but you’ve beaten me to it,” She admitted. “Will I ever see him again?”

 

“Not see, not see,” Elder Kim said thoughtfully, his hand reaching up to caress his stubbly chin. “You will meet him, yes, but not see. Five, or ten years from now on, who knows! As long there is an Alpha in need of guidance or protection, he will return.” His eyebrows moved closer again, cocking one up with suspicion. “Is that all?

 

“I just want to introduce Hitomi to you,” Minjoo looked at Hitomi. “But Hitomi here is interested in a little bit of fortune-telling. Do you mind if you peeked into her future?”

 

“Ah, youngsters, always so interested in something like that.” He shook his head, a small amused smirk found its way to his lips. “Very well, give me your hand and a moment.” Hitomi did as she was told, placing her hand to the elder’s open palm. She felt ticklish as the old man traced the lines on her hands with her wrinkly fingers thoroughly, his bushy eyebrows knitting together and eyes narrowing in deep concentration.

 

He suddenly stopped. He opened his eyes and gave a side-glance to Minjoo, who had neutral expression on but the much older, senior Alpha was not that easy to fool.

 

His thin lips were pulled to form a sneer. “Minjoo I would appreciate it if you stop distracting me with your angry pheromones, thank you.”

 

Minjoo looked surprised. She felt a vibration in her mind; sounding like a snicker. Ah, it’s the ert. What did you say, brat? “Oh. I’m sorry,” she said, scratching her nape in embarrassment, replying to her grandfather rather than the faint growling voice in her mind.

 

“Don’t be. You have all the rights to be mad at me.” Her grandfather grinned at her. “I’m touching your Omega, after all. I’ll snap if an Alpha touched your grandma too.”

 

Minjoo didn’t answer. He went back to his Reading, until he looked like he was finished with how he opened his eyes with a broad grin on his face.

 

“Hitomi-sshi. You are very successful now, yes? You’ll be even more successful in no time. Recruit people you like and wing it, like Hangyul usually said. What’s so funny?”

 

“Nothing, Elder Kim.”

 

“Aigoo, don’t call me that! You’re her Omega, call me Grandpa!” “Hmm… let me continue, yes? Your fortune is great for this year, as I said earlier. But it will perhaps be doubled--tripled, in five or seven years.” His eyes twinkled, his boisterous scratchy voice turned soft and father-like. “That is a marvelous news.”

 

Both Minjoo and Hitomi only nodded their heads dumbly.

 

“What about us, Grandpa?” Minjoo bravely asked her question. When her grandfather only cocked an eyebrow up, she had no choice but to elaborate. “Our… um, relationship?”

 

“Nothing to worry about,” He told Minjoo thoughtfully after a brief pause. His hand went back to his jaw, his fingers scratching his stubbly chin again as he added his cents, uttered in a small voice.

 

“Although if you aren’t quick enough… it will cost both of you.”

 

-

 

“I don’t get what he meant.”

 

“Don’t play dumb, Min. I’m pretty sure you do understand it.”

 

“I have that suspicion but please enlighten me?”

 

She was going to regret it, she knew it. She knew it the moment Hitomi had that smirk and climbed on top of her lap, straddling her. Minjoo blushed, wondering what did it look like from the outside.

 

“Basically he wants you to me before we’ve ran out of time,” Hitomi slyly whispered to her reddening ear. She tucked her tongue out, dragging it long and slow along the lining of Minjoo’s ear before she nibbled on her earlobe. Her fingers moved to pop off several buttons of her blouse, her eyebrows moving suggestively as she leaned down, smirking even wider when the Alpha swallowed, her gaze darting down to her exposed cleavage.

 

“H-Hitomi,” Minjoo stammered her name, feeling heat already crawling up to her neck and face. Her hands naturally settled on the curve of the Omega’s waist, gripping them firmly in futile attempt of stopping Hitomi from grinding on her. “W-Wait--”

 

Hitomi, as expected, wasn’t willing to listen.

 

“So, for the sake of our relationship--” The Omega purred again, her hands crawling up to Minjoo's nape and gently guided her face to where her glands are located.

 

But Minjoo, as usual, managed to dart away before Hitomi’s pheromones could force her into bedding her. Sure, that primal part of her had no qualms in doing this temptress of an Omega, but Minjoo isn’t a beast with neverending heat!

 

“Look, later!”

 

“How later is it later? Tonight? In an hour? Five minutes? Now?

 

ON YOUR HEAT.”

 

“I am technically-”


NO.”

 

-

 

Later on that night, Minjoo kept her promise on taking Hitomi to the night market. Of course it was done after a strict pleading from the Alpha just so Hitomi would behave. 

 

"I want us to behave like the usual fluffy couple, is that too much of a resolution for us?"

 

"Yeah, maybe," Hitomi distractedly mumbled, biting her lips when Minjoo combed her hair back out of frustration. Was it Hitomi's fault she had a girlfriend this incredibly y but frustratingly pure? Not exactly and wholly pure but... frustratingly controlled and passive.

 

As an Alpha, it wasn't a trait Hitomi had expected to be in Minjoo, even though she was a Low Alpha. Minjoo was supposed to have bouts of aggressiveness in her just like her peers, but to this day Hitomi only had seen Minjoo losing control once.

 

"Hitomi," Minjoo groaned, and Hitomi was once again distracted. "I'm serious. I don't want to lose control like few weeks ago. At the time where your heat comes, I probably can control my Alpha better than back then, than today. I don't want to accidentally mark you for life just because my Alpha told me I should."

 

"But I'm okay with you marking me for life, though."

 

"Okay that changes things but still," Minjoo exhaled deeply, "what if your feelings change? What if our feelings change? Think about it, we haven't even known each other for a year. What if I'm actually a mafia leader-"

 

"You're not."

 

"Alright fine," Minjoo rolled her eyes. "What I wanted to say is, let's wait until I'm mentally prepared for you--r heat."

 

Hitomi squinted her eyes. It was clear that she didn't really like it, but she couldn't do anything. She would get what she wanted in a week. Hitomi never thought herself as a patient woman, but for Minjoo she was willing to have the patience of a saint.

 

"Alright," she relented, sighing as she crossed her arms above her chest. "I'll temporarily forget that I'm dying to dive into your pants. I'll not tease you about it and will function as a cute Omega girlfriend throughout this date."

 

"Why do you sound so reluctant?" Minjoo wondered, raising an eyebrow up as she asked her question. "You acted like a cute Omega girlfriend whenever we're out, Tomi."

 

"Let's just say," Hitomi began, smirking, "your grandfather enabled things."

 

Minjoo raised her hands and clawed her hair, releasing a frustrated groan in the process.