Chapter 2

My Family

"What did you say? Do you want to end our relationship? Huh?! Why do you say that in front of me?!" infuriated Samut to Nita interrogatively.

Nita faced him immediately as her tears fell down on both cheeks and bravely admitted that she doesn't have an interest more in Samut's heart for being abusive. In addition, she added that she will have an empty space between her and Samut; threatened that she'll find another man over him. When Pawana noticed and heard something different, she stopped ironing the clothes and immediately approached the two of them. She heard her daughter's cry until she was hugged by Nita. Pawana immediately slapped and punched Samut's face using her both hands, and get angry at the same time.

"A-argh!" pained Samut when his both cheeks got swollen.

"What the hell are you doing here, huh?! And what have you done to my daughter?!" interrogated Pawana to Samut.

"Huh?! Your daughter wanted to break off our relationship and I don't want to! I came here just to live with her!" replied Samut drunkenly.

Pawana gets stunned when Samut suddenly admitted that they had a relationship together.

"Live here with her? No! I won't allow you to live here for what you've done to my daughter! Now get out of my house or else I'll throw things on your face!" immediately pushed Samut away from their sight.

"Khun Mae! Please enough!" begged Nita sorrowfully.

"Hey! Let me go! No! N-Nita!—" continued Samut until he falls down on the ground even the bag he held.

Pawana immediately closed the door and locked so that Samut won't come to the house ever again. Nita continued crying as she hugged his mother. However, when Pawana knew the sudden situation from Samut, she immediately released her daughter's arms and starts interrogating her.

"Khun Mae...w-what's wrong?" asked Nita to her mother.

"Nita, how could you do this to me? Why don't you even tell me about it, huh?" interrogated Pawana.

"K-Khun Mae....W-what do you mean? I and Samut don't have a relationship—" sobbed Nita.

"Enough, Nita! Did you ever have a relationship between you and that 'drunkard son of the store-owner'?! Answer me!" angered Pawana.

Nita continued crying and sobbing; feel suffered and couldn't answer her mother's interrogation.

"Nita! Answer me!" added Pawana.

"Yes, Khun Mae!"

Pawana supposed to slap her daughter's face for good but in vain. Her tears fell down slowly and asked her something.

"Nita! Why did you do that to me, huh?" sniffled Pawana.

"I'm sorry, Khun Mae, I-I tried to break off our relationship just to fulfill your promise but he objected my decision to end our relationship. And I'm also frightened that you'll get mad at me once I did a mistake." sobbed Nita.

Pawana couldn't utter another word because she felt guilty about her own promise. Later, she stood her daughter up and gave comfort with a hug. She apologized and accepted Nita's apology; vowed once more that Nita must continue to focus on her studies for the sake of her daughter's future.

The next morning, it was recess time in school. All the students went out to their classrooms taking their recess respectively. Thana was eating enjoyably a rice cake using his left hand, holding a ripped mango on his right hand. While eating his snack, he noticed Chit and Nita sat on an old, huge wood having a conversation.

"What? Your mother knew that you and Samut had a relationship last night?" asked Chit to Nita.

Nita nodded admittedly.

"Samut came to our house last night," said Nita.

"What? What did he do there?" surprised Chit.

"He wanted to stay there with me without a reason. And when I obliquely decided to end our relationship, he violently slapped my face. Lately, when my mother heard something, she suspected him; pushed away outside last night until...she found out that I have a relationship towards him."

"Oh my!" exclaimed Chit worriedly.

"And I...I just cried and can't lean on about my mistake because, honestly, I don't want my mother to get mad at me once she found that I break her promise—"

"Wait! W-what promise does she promise to you?" asked Chit curiously.

Thana directly approached the two women with a wai greeting.

"Sawatdee khrab! To the both of you." greeted Thana as the two women looked back at him surprisingly.

"Sawatdee kaa." responded Chit added with a 'wai'.

Nita got surprised after looking back rolling her eyes and immediately do the same thing as her friend. Chit jollily teased Nita that Thana was on Nita's back.

"Nita! Your crush's here! Yee!" teased Chit.

"Stop it!" responded Nita in a whispery voice.

"Hey? What are the two of you talking about? Is it yesterday morning's fight? If so, may I join the conversation from you?" requested Thana.

"No it's not, but, I don't allow you to join our conversation. It's for the two of us women and men are not allowed. So better if you'll talk to someone else because I might get—"

Chit saw Thana's right hand holding a fresh, ripe mango.

"She might get contaminated from your sweetness and not germs she'd mentioned yesterday, Khun Thana. I'm sure she will like it because she likes to eat mango." interrupted Chit to Nita's insult and added with a laugh.

Thana laughed at the two of them until Nita gets annoyed. He also laughed about the mango he holds for.

"See? You even can't deny and guilty that you've admired me for a long time," he added.

Nita got angry at him. She couldn't utter the truth that she admired him for a long time. Thana revealed his feelings towards her besides having a crush on her, suddenly, Nita continued denying him.

"Huh?! Who are you referring to? I don't admire you at all. Chit was the one admiring you first. Not me."

Chit objected to her friend's indicial answer. Moreover, She honestly revealed to Thana that Nita was the first person who admired him the most for being 'breezy yet handsome' in the classroom. Thana smiled flintily

"Chit! Argh!" annoyed Nita as she showed by Thana a mango on the hand.

"Ha-ha. Do you want a mango? Here! I'll give this to you. Cause I really like you, too." flirted Thana.

Nita accepted the mango from him.

"T-thanks." thanked Nita as Thana replied to her in a wink.

A couple of minutes later, Thana bids them goodbye as he goes back to the classroom. Chit sweetly chilled about Thana's admiration; however, Nita gave the mango to Chit as if she will not eat it at all. Chit returned the mango back as her friend's reply. Meanwhile, in the local marketplace, Pawana was busy looking for ingredients. She had a rattan bag filled with items she'd purchased. She went to the fruit stand and buys something. While buying, one of the neighbors noticed her and she approached her immediately.

"Pawana." called the neighbor.

"Hey, Sawatdee kaa!" responded Pawana with a wai greeting.

"Sawatdee kaa. How's it going? You're here to buy fruits?" Asked the neighbor after doing a wai greeting

"Indeed, after buying groceries from the other corner." asked Pawana.

"Oh, it's good to hear. But I didn't know that someone noticed on the neighborhood this afternoon."

Pawana didn't understand curiously and she asked what something the neighbor meant.

"I didn't know that your husband, Nittipon, newly went home from Rayong Province."

"Really? Thanks to Buddha and he's home now. I've been missing him for a very long time."

"But I have something to tell you right now. I suppose not to tell you this, but, the neighbor informed me that your husband was with another woman when going home." the neighbor added.

"What did you s-say?" reacted Pawana dreadfully.

After a few hours of classes, all the students went home. Nita and Chit hiked together on the road.

"By the way, you haven't told me this morning about what your mother promised to you."

"Yeah! This is his entire fault. Just because...he's ruining our conversation and gave me mango, as nothing happened." said Nita.

"Ha-ha. You described Khun Thana as a breezy one but everyone in the class knew that your crush is him. And speaking of mango, we ate the mango that he gave to you. How sweet the two of you..." teased Chit.

"Duh! It's not." reacted Nita deniably.

Chit asked again about her mother's promise.

"Well, it's just simple. She promised me that I'll finish high school and have a diploma by means of prioritizing studies. That's what she promised to me a long time ago since my father left us and do military work."

Chit nods and understands her friend's answer, lately, she bids goodbye to Nita because she noticed her friends calling her for something reasonable. Nita continued walking alone on the street so that she would go home safely. All of a sudden, Thana followed her walking alone and asked if he wanted to go with her. He just came from school after his training.

"What are you doing here?! Go away and don't follow me!" angered Nita.

"Hey! I saw you walking alone and you don't want someone to guide you?"

"No, it's not, but I want someone to guide me who's close to my heart and not a stranger like you, germ-faced!"

"Ha-ha. How pathetic you are, crumpled-uniform girl!" replied Thana in a laugh.

"Again?! No, not anymore! My uniform's just ironed last night and not like you whose uniform's like trash, as trash like you."

"Boohoo-hoo...I'd just cried because you called my uniform trash." he mimicked.

"But don't worry, Nita, it's just a crumple after iron. Not like you whose focus on studies...but focusing more on me. Right?" he added.

Nita gets infuriated to him. She asked him why he's with her and Thana replied the same thing repeatedly. Unbeknownst to the two having a playful fight, Samut was seriously green-eyed noticing them walking in the street together. He was thinking that Nita was with another man already as he rides back his bicycle and went home. As Nita and Thana ended their fight, neither Nita was the winner nor Thana. She ran away from him infuriatingly until Thana waved her goodbye added with a smile.

Nita finally reaches home safely. She fixed the tangles of her long hair and stretches her uniform. She supposed to open the door, and then suddenly, she heard her mother's cry inside. She opened the door and entered the house swiftly. Pawana cried with tears alone. She cried emotionally as if the pain was inside of her own heart. She couldn't accept that the unity of a family gets destroyed suddenly.

"K-Khun Mae...What's wrong?" asked Nita to Pawana.

Pawana answered nothing. She didn't answer her daughter's question about why she feels emotional. Lately, Nita slowly draw nears her mother and asked the reason.

"Khun Mae...calm down. Please don't cry so much." begged Nita.

Suddenly, Pawana hugged her daughter as she showed her sadness.

"Please, mom, everything will be fine. But please tell me why you are crying," asked Nita gloomily.

"Nita...your father newly went home from Rayong. But when I was informed by one of the neighbors and evidently seen him...I was surprised and...can't get over the pain because he's already had a relationship with another woman."

"W-what? Does he want to leave us, mom?"

Pawana continued sobbing and she couldn't leave away the pain. Nita asked her again if her father left them. Until Pawana left a word to Nita.

"Your father suddenly revealed that he's married to her woman. That's why he forcedly left us alone...like your younger brother. Nita...my daughter..." sobbed Pawana as Nita comforted her.

Nita couldn't believe at first that her father won't do a relationship with another woman. However, when her mother admitted that her father married undeniably to the other woman, she slowly grieving and distressed on the incident. Lately, she tried herself to be strong but tears fell down on her both eyes.

The evening passed, in a small convenient store, Samut's father sat on the chair and waiting for someone. He looked at the front window as he saw Samut, his son, went home disappointed. He took a sigh in a disappointment until stood up his chair to confront.

"Samut!" called his father furiously.

Samut paused and felt exasperated silently as Samut's father confronted him fearlessly.

"Where have you been this kind of hour?" he asked Samut.

Samut didn't answer his question.

"Samut, answer me!" he added.

"Dah...dad, what's wrong? I don't need to answer your question, Khun Po! I'm just feeling tired right now and going to sleep." replied Samut as he walked away to his room supposedly.

However, his father grasped his son's right arm violently.

"No! Stare in front of me! And I won't allow you to go to your room unless you're telling me the reason! Where have you been going?!"

"Okay! I just came from the road seeing Nita having a relationship with another man and that's the reason she wanted to end our relationship! I don't want to happen this to me! She's mine!"

"Samut! How many times did I tell you that you aren't meant for Nita's heart? I don't want her to be yours! You're just wasting your time and efforts in order to get back together and ruin someone's choice which you don't like."

"I don't think so, dad. Even if she wants to break off our relationship, I'm still in love with her whatever she loves me or not! And I'll avenge to the guy beside her through my hands!" vowed Samut.

"Huh! Are you hearing yourself? Is that what you call true love?!" interrogated his father.

Samut stared at his father in a derogative way.

"I'll warn you, my son, if you really love her so much but still she doesn't love you because you said that she's been with another man, you deserve it! Let her have freedom. As long as I warned you that you and Nita will never be together!" he warned.

After his confrontation, he released his son's arm and walked away back to the store.

"I will go to kill your 'guy', Nita. You're still mine!" vowed Samut to himself as he later enters his room.

The next morning, the sun shines brightly in the small village. Chit and Nita were listening to Khun Aajan Kittichai's Thai language class. Some of the students felt bored and started to yawn. Thana was sitting at the back whereas the two girls sitting in the middle row. Khun Aajan was reading an excerpt of a particular Thai-language poem from a renowned Thai poet. After reading for a few minutes, he asked his students about what can they say about the poem.

"Anyone in the class who can answer my question?" asked the teacher.

Some students raised their hands as they want to answer their questions. Thana felt cool himself while sitting on his desk chair writing Nita's name on the paper. As if like he wouldn't be called by the teacher cause he feels like he's the prince of the classroom.

"Singsomboon!" called Chokchai all of a sudden.

Thana was surprised shockingly.

"Yes, Khun a-aajan?" asked Thana to the teacher.

"What can you say about the poem I've read? And what have you understood about the poem?"

Thana wasn't listening to his teacher's question during his class.

"Umm...the poem is...good. That's all." he answered.