Chapter 1

My Family

The golden sun stunningly shines in a small village located in the city district of Khon Kaen, Thailand. The sparrows and others flew in warm, unpleasant summer skies. The water buffalos ate grasses in the grasslands so that they'll have the energy to plow the fields by the farmers. Some of the buffalos bathed in the river normally. In the said village, a fighting event conducted wherein many people watching with a scream and a loud yell. It was a Muay Thai fight of a particular junior high school held in the high school stadium. Most of the audiences were junior high school male students; assisted with their teachers, too. The Muay Thai announcer showed up on stage to start the round.

"Sawatdee ton chao tuk khon khrab! (Good morning, everyone!) Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to our very first junior high school Muay Thai fight!" shouted the announcer.

The audiences yelled and cheered continuously.

"Before the division Muay Thai Fight competition to be conducted for the following weeks in the city stadium, there would be an advanced fight this morning. And right now, allow me to introduce...to all of the students and audiences...our first contenders from Khon Kaen City High School."

The audiences yelled and cheered.

"The first contender of this ring, wearing black and blue boxers, please, makes some noise to! Thanawat 'Ngoo Hao Rohn (Hot cobra)' Singsoomboon!" the announcer added.

Thanawat Singsomboon, his classmates called him Thana, made a hot and steamy entrance as he entered the ring and have a dance ritual before the fight. His dazzling yet tantalizing y eyes made everyone cheered up. Not only for the eyes but also his muscular, bodybuilder body. The female audiences, in minority, felt so crazy at him ever since he was the first year. The announcer also introduced his competitor to compete on the said fight. A few minutes later, the fight has finally started.

Meanwhile, in the mountainous area of the village, Kunchanita Sasirikorn – neighbors called her Nita rode a bicycle faster as she across the concrete bridge. She feels cram because she thought that she'll be late for school. Her uniform was slightly crumpled because it was not ironed yet. As she reaches to the school, Ngarmchit or "Chit" – her classmate obstructed in front of her for a moment.

"Nita! Wait!" called Chit.

She supposed to stop riding her bicycle; however, the bicycle was out of control until she accidentally bumps Chit. Chit falls down on the ground as Nita immediately rushed her bicycle and help her to stand up.

"Chit! Are you alright? Sorry for bumping you, 'kay?" apologized Nita.

Chit accepted her apology in a smile and she started wiping her skirt with her bare hands.

"Chit! Is there a class?" responded Nita in a cramming way.

"Haven't you informed this morning? It's totally unexpected, Nita!" said Chit.

"Huh? W-What do you mean?" asked Nita.

"Khun Aajan (Teacher) Chokchai suddenly informed me that his classes will resume this afternoon. But this morning, we don't have classes from him now. So, don't worry about that."

"What the heck! I was expecting that there'll be classes this morning. I haven't studied lessons for the quiz in English. I haven't ironed my uniform because of something problematic in our family." doubted Nita innocently.

"Whoa! Relax! I don't think you're the only problematic in Khon Kaen, too, even me I have. Just relax! So right now, we'll have to take a deep breath because we don't have classes. There's a Muay Thai fight in our school. You want to watch?"

"Muay Thai fight?" stunned Nita curiously.

The two girls went inside to the school's stadium and watching the Muay Thai fight. The traditional music was played in the said fight. Thana uses his endless endurance and balance in fighting his competitor. He uses his strongest parts on defeating the enemy besides his 'spirit killer' punches; his shins, his feet, and arm joints. However, his competitor didn't give up as he immediately stood up. He exchanged kicks and punched Thana effortlessly. Nita and Chit reached to the stadium and watched the fight.

"Thana! Thana!" cheered Chit in a scream.

"Hey! Why do you cheer with him?! Maybe you'll be heard by everyone!" stopped Nita.

Chit didn't listen to her and still teasing up on Thana's name.

"Stop it, Chit! You know what, I don't really like him at all even he's a Muay Thai fighter in our school!" said Nita to Chit.

"Why? You don't even like him but why did you tell me that he's your long-time crush?" asked Chit.

"Nothing because he's so breezy the way he acts to our classmates." answered Nita undeniably.

"Oh...you're so pretentious! You know what, your words won't be changed forever." smiled Chit excitingly.

Nita rolled her eyes because she couldn't deny that she had a crush on Thana but she hated Thana's attitude for being breezy and boastful in the classroom. A few rounds passed, Thana received wounds on different parts of his body, but still confident. He finally defeated his contender. The announcer went to the ring and announces the winner of the first fight.

"Our winner for today...to be qualified in the Division Muay Thai Competition...is no other than...Thanawat "Ngoo Hao Rohn" Singsomboon!"

Thana screamed with a victory because he was declared as a winner of the fight. His classmates cheered him with scream and shout. Chit started to shout as she supports Thana. Thana didn't mind Chit's cheer but he only looked at Nita's pretty face even though Nita didn't look him at all. He smiled seductively and feels confident that he's the winner. Behind the audiences, Mattu – Thana's father was there. He watched his fight, but later, he went home afterward with anger. He doesn't support his son's sport due to his past as a Muay Thai fighter.

After the fight, Thana was congratulated by his classmates as his motivational spirit. He was looking for Nita while some of his classmates followed him to continue to congratulate him. He finally found Nita as he immediately approached her. He hugged her in the shoulder. Unfortunately, Nita noticed his crush's hand and immediately released it. Thana got smacked by her until his right cheek got swollen.

"Hey! Why do you smack me?" angered Thana.

"Don't you dare hugging me on my shoulder, Thana, or else I'll report to the principal!"

Thana laughed in a silly way and he replied that Nita must do it.

"Such a drama actress." jested Thana and added with a laugh.

"What did you just say? I'm not joking, Thana. Cause your hands may contain germs!"

"Hey, you! You're saying an eyesore to me just because I hugged you on the shoulders? Damn, god!" reacted Thana.

Their classmates wooed and teased them with excitement. They teased Nita and Thana for always teasing with each other. Chit felt crazy when she looked at their dog-and-cat fighting. Nita looked back at Thana and stared fiercely.

"Yeah! Although you're good looking but still an eyesore! So get out of my sight right now. I'll be getting sick from your breeziness! Now!" insulted Nita.

Thana wooed jokingly as Nita left him; however, he left a word to her.

"If you go away, then, why don't you leave a 'congratulations' word to me instead? You'll be getting sick more if you don't congratulate me or you should be proud that I'm a winner." replied Thana.

Nita gets irritated and she looked back at him.

"Sorry, Thana! I will not congratulate you at all! Maybe I'll be contaminated by your congratulations!"

Thana felt offended for calling him harshly.

"Bye, germ-looking giant!"

"Bye, crumpled-uniform . Until we meet again and again! Ha-ha!" responded Thana in a harsh way as his classmates joined him laughing.

Nita gets insulted and she ran away to the classroom. Chit followed her running to the classroom. Thana's classmates joined him wooing and they laughed together. They still support Thana as he will start courting her to be his girlfriend.

The sunset passed, on the concrete bridge, Nita rode a bicycle to go home. While riding, she saw her admirer smoking and expected to pick up her. Thanathorn Samutsomboon; his nickname's "Samut" is the son of a middle-class store vendor of the village. Unbeknownst to everyone; his behavior was such a big disappointment for being a drunkard yet an unmannerly one. He was drinking a bottle of beer while smoking. Nita noticed him. Samut stared at her maliciously. She saw him drinking while leaning on the motorcycle.

"Nita." called Samut while drinking.

Nita ignored him because she's riding a bicycle faster.

"Nita, come on! I need to talk to you. Please!" begged Samut drunkenly.

Nita changed her direction bicycle as she approached him; feeling tired and had no time for conversation.

"What are we going to talk, huh?" asked Nita.

"Babe, we'll talk about you...you're still beautiful when you're , in my eyes. I miss you so much. You'll be my wife forever." said Samut.

He touched Nita's left cheek until the using his point finger but Nita felt disgraced on her admirer's naughtiness and she released it.

"Stop it! Are you ridiculing me, Samut? I think you're drunk right now and—"

Nita saw Samut's wounded face with minor wounds.

"Babe, what's wrong? Why do you feel sad?" asked Samut.

"What happened to your face? Do you have a fight with our neighbors this morning?"

"Nah! What wounds? Face? I-I didn't have a fight with them. They're just very nice to me."

"I don't think you're being nice to them but I doubt that you're having a fight to them because you lose on the card game once. Please, babe, stop playing that game! I'm begging on you, babe."

Samut didn't listen to her beg. Nita begged him again to stop the game until Samut raised his voice.

"Can you please don't say 'stop playing that game'?!" raised Samut.

"What if I don't stop, huh? That game makes me happy more and more! And if I'll be a winner, then, I'll take you home for granted and have with me!" he added interrogatively.

"B-babe! Stop that nuisance! You're drunk right now so I have to go home! Let's break up from now on!" said Nita to him.

Samut begged her not to leave by grasping its left arm fiercely. However, Nita released her admirer's hand and stomped him on the feet added with a slap. She immediately rides back to her bicycle so that she won't be chased by him.

"B-babe! Come back!" screamed Samut.

"We're over!" replied Nita.

The night passed, Mattu was doing carpentry work on the house's garage. He was polishing a wooden cabinet that he made for his customer. Thana went home late from school. He greeted him with a good evening. Mattu didn't respond because he's busy on his work until Mattu started to interrogate him.

"Why you came home this kind of hour?" interrogated Mattu.

"Khun Po, I was just trained Muay Thai to the students. At least I've been given an allowance." uttered Thana.

"Train them Muay Thai? Muay Thai huh?! Is that your reason why you came home within this hour?"

Thana supposedly said that there's nothing wrong to come home late, but he couldn't respond on his father's interrogation. Mattu stopped doing his carpentry work. He immediately confronts his son and grasped the uniform collar beastly.

"How many times I've told to stop doing your sport, huh? Why don't you stop!? You know what; honestly, I don't want you to get your life at risk because of that thing! And you almost drop out your studies because of your sport!" scolded Mattu with a death stare.

"I know that I almost drop out, but I never gave up. I'm still standing for the sake of my passion!" said Thana.

"If you don't want to drop out, then, leave that sport immediately!" angered Mattu.

"But, dad, why do you force me to leave? I want to pursue the sport you've done before. And of course, I just want you to be proud of me, as a fighter, even though you stopped doing Muay Thai. Besides, it's not just for my passion, but to give recognition to everyone. At least I receive some money!" expressed Thana.

Mattu objects his son's beg.

"Enough!" replied Mattu.

"I assure you to leave your Muay Thai and focus on your studies! Understand?! Leave that sport or else...I'll reject you as my son!" angered Mattu to him and he resumes back to his carpentry work.

Thana became speechless on his father's decision. He couldn't argue to his father's decision more because he was obliged to leave Muay Thai. He doesn't give up fortunately as he silently objects his father's decision to stop doing his passion. Meanwhile, in a small bungalow, Pawana – Nita's mother was ironing the clothes. She requested her to bring the dried clothes outside. As Nita went back inside and carrying the dried clothes, she placed on the basket.

"Khun Mae." called Nita.

Pawana responded.

"Is Khun Po come home tonight?"

"Why do you ask, my daughter?"

"Because I've really missed him so much since he left the village and have a military task in Rayong Province."

"Me, too, he promised us to come home after his military. It's been a long time that he hasn't send letters to us if he's fine or not. And I'm totally worried because...I don't know if he's been with other woman or not." said Pawana.

"I'm pretty sure; father won't do that because his love will remain loyal to the two of us," assured Nita to his mother.

"How kind you are, my daughter and you're the only children remained in my life since your little brother married and have children. He'd left us and never sent money anymore." said Pawana to her.

"Thanks, mom. You've been trustworthy to me for years." thanked Nita and she hugged her mother's back.

Pawana requested her to fold the dried clothes so that she can continue ironing effortlessly. Suddenly, someone's knocking the house door. Nita expected that it was her father who knocked on the door. She immediately opened the door; however, it was Samut who knocked on the door. He was bringing a backpack. The clothes he wore were rigid and untidy. Samut smiled maliciously to Nita.

"What are you doing here?" asked Nita to Samut shockingly.

"N-Nothing! Just having a little visit here...to meet you once again." replied Samut drunkenly.

"And who has the right to come to our house, huh? Please, go away!" said Nita as she started pushing him away.

"No, no! You can't leave me like that! I'm the one that you love, Nita!"

"We're already over, Samut! It's over!"

When Samut newly recalled his girlfriend's decision to break off their relationship over, he got mad and he spanked her violently.