Eleven

Petrichor • Junhui x Minghao

 

“Are we really going Jun-gē house?” Yun mumbled around a big mouthful of apple. Minghao was never going to let anyone eat in this car when he first got it. That went out the window when he had a screaming toddler to drive around town.

 

“Yes. And you are going to behave while the adults talk. Okay?”

 

 

Yun nodded as he kicked his swinging legs against the seat.

 

 

 

Minghao was so stressed. This really was his last resort. He couldn’t ask anyone else. He’d barely seen Mingyu since he made things offical with the writer, which Minghao found out via a short but excited text, and he had no one else.

 

For the millionth time he wondered if he should be raising Yun in China. At least there he would have his mother to help. The move had always just daunted him too much. He loved his life here and Yun only had just over a year until he started school anyway. That would make thing a a lot easier.

 

Right now all he could focus on was begging Junhui to help him out on Saturdays. The guy probably could do with the extra money anyway. Minghao knew being a childcare worker wasn’t exactly a high paid job.

 

When he pulled up at the address the directions sent him to he thought he must be mistaken. The house was by no means a mansion but compared to his rundown little cottage it was huge. A tall yew tree, old and gnarled, stood in the middle of a patch of green lawn. It had a long thick branch stretching about head height and Minghao could picture it with a swing underneath. This was a great home for a family.

 

He’d move when he got his together, sold more commissions, managed to save some money. Yun really needed a decent sized yard and space to run around. Maybe even get a cubby house and a swing.

 

His thoughts were proven when he leaned in and unbuckled him and Yun took off from the car. “It’s as big as the park!” he yelled as he rolled on the grass and Minghao didn’t know whether to laugh or be embarrassed. In the end he didn’t have time to decide as Junhui opened the front door before they could knock.

 

“Jun-gē!” Yun was up from the grass at lightening speed and had both arms wrapped around Junhui’s legs before Minghao could climb the two low steps up to the front porch. Everything was white and the edges of the garden were all lined with beautiful bright pink tsubaki in flower. He should have expected nothing less. Of course Junhui had time to tend a garden.

 

 

“Good afternoon bāobāo,” Junhui said as Yun clung to his legs and smiled up at him. “Would you like to come inside?” “And me?” Minghao said softly and the smile on Junhui’s face was unsettlingly breathtaking. It was just so warm and open Minghao almost fell backward down the steps. “Of course,” he took Yun by the hand and they walked into the house.

 

It was beautiful. Everything was white and grey and blue. It was tidy and homey and warm inside and Minghao felt a pull urging him to kick his shoes off and curl up on the plush couch.

 

“Yun, don’t touch anything,” he hissed quietly, visions of Seokmin and Jisoo’s pristine apartment fresh in his mind, but Junhui just laughed. “You touch anything you like little stormcloud,” Junhui said as Yun’s eyes lit up, “but if you find one of the cats come and get me before you touch them.” Minghao watched the tall man crouch impossibly low to the ground so he could look the little boy in the eye. “They’ll want to play but they don’t like to be surprised. Okay?”

 

Yun rocked back and forth on his heels and nodded. “Go find them then!” Junhui laughed loudly and his eyes sparkled as he watched the little boy run off to search behind couches and curtains for the cats.

 

“Tea?” he asked Minghao and the other nodded and tried to relax. “Sure. I’m sorry about the money,” he said as his eyes flicked around the room. He’d been so far off it wasn’t funny. Junhui wasn’t rich by any standards but he clearly didn’t need an extra fifty bucks for babysitting.

 

“It’s fine. I just figured you were drunk.” Junhui turned to walk into the kitchen and Minghao blushed bright red as he followed him. “I was,” he admitted softly, more to himself than anyone else and Junhui smiled at him again. This time it wasn’t blinding, it was softer, tinted with a warm glow of understanding and it ripped through Minghao’s brain stronger than the alcohol he’d overindulged in.

 

 

“I hate work events. I feel so awkward and the place was full of strangers, everyone wants to talk to the artist, I really struggle with things like that.” Minghao blabbered on while Junhui boiled the kettle and put black tea bags into two mugs. “I haven’t been back at work for long and I was so nervous I guess I drank a little too much to try and ease my nerves.”

 

“Sugar?”

 

Minghao shook his head and Junhui added a small spoon to one of the mugs.

 

“Anyway, it was weird, you would think I would enjoy a party. Especially since, you know, I’m always home with Yun. I literally haven’t been to a real restaurant in three years, but I’ve just been out of the game for too long. Next time I’ll be smarter and hold back on the free champagne.”

 

When he stopped talking he looked around as if he expected the real owner of his disembodied voice to appear. What was wrong with him? And why did he just ramble on like him and Junhui were best friends? Was he really missing Mingyu that much?

 

 

“Here,” Junhui pushed the mug of hot tea into his hands. “Come sit down.”

 

Minghao followed Junhui into the living room. It was tastefully decorates in shades of charcoal grey, white walls offset by pastel pink cushions, and dominated by a huge comfortable looking couch.

 

“Sit,” Junhui waved Minghao over to the corner couch and tidied up the pile of papers and books strewn all over the coffee table. Minghao eyed Junhui curiously. He was dressed casually in sweats with his hair a little messy. He actually looked like he’d been jogging not reading.

 

“Sorry,” he mumbled as he scooped up the notebooks. “I usually study on Friday nights but I ran out of time.”

 

Minghao was about to connect the dots when Yun came running.

 

“Slow down,” Minghao said but the little boy was too excited. “Found them gēge! In the big bedroom behind the curtains!” “Let’s go get them then!” Junhui got up and followed Yun into his room and came back with his arms full of fluffy cat. He beckoned Yun over to the couch and when the boy climbed up to sit between Minghao and Junhui he put one of the cats on his lap. “This one is Mittens,” Junhui said as he put the calico cat into Yun’s lap. “She’s gentle and sweet.” When he saw the happiness writ all over Yun’s little face Minghao wanted to cry.

 

“That’s Socks then?” Yun asked as he ran his fingers through the cats fur. “Yes, this is Socks.” Junhui indicated the orange tabby eyeing Minghao suspiciously from his owners lap. “They’re brother and sister. Someone abandoned them in a box behind the convenience store down the road. I took them to the cat shelter where I volunteer but they were so small, so young....”

 

Cat shelter? Minghao watched Junhui’s eyes take on a faraway expression as he remembered. “They were only weeks old and they were bottle fed around the clock and no one was sure they would live. But look!” He smiled down at Socks in triumph and immense pride. “They’re survivors. They lived and I didn’t want to split them up so I brought them home with me when they were eight weeks old.”

 

 

“What’s a cat shelter?” Yun asked and Minghao zoned out a little as he sipped his tea and listened to the sound of Junhui’s voice. He was so great at explaining things to Yun. His urge to curl up and just listen, to relax and enjoy his tea, to let go of everything that was worrying him suddenly overwhelmed him. He’d felt it building up ever since he walked into this house that was so calming and welcoming and warm. It still took him by surprise, that he could feel so comfortable with a stranger, but the way Junhui was chattering to his son with a lap full of fluffy cat was endearing and addictive. Minghao, in that moment, completely understood why Junhui was so good at his job. He was completely captivating.

 

“Can we?” Yun asked and Minghao blinked himself back to reality. “Can we what?” “Go see Jun-gē at the cat shelter one day?” “Sure,” Minghao said. Yun would forget; at least he hoped he would.

 

“So,” Junhui turned his attention back to Minghao. “You wanted to talk to me about more work?” Looking around, at the pile of studies on the table, the cats on the couch, Minghao wanted to back out. Junhui seemed to have more than enough work and he couldn’t believe he’d been so wrong; so judgemental about Junhui’s life and money and time.

 

 

“Look, you seem to have a lot on your plate, so you can say no.” Minghao put the finished mug of tea down on the table and stared at his hands. When he looked up Junhui’s eyes were watching him so tenderly he felt like he was burning up, like he was melting, fading away into a warm dreamland of hot tea and cosy couches.

 

“I need someone to watch Yun Saturday mornings. When I took the job my friends said they would do it, but now one had his roster changed and the other won’t have Yun on his own, and my best friend is busy and I can’t ask him.” “Uncle Gyu got a boyfriend and we don’t see him anymore!” Yun interjected and Minghao felt himself blush.

 

“Anyway, I’m screwed, I’ve got no one else to ask and Yun really likes you. I understand if you can’t and I promise I’ll pay you.”

 

Junhui leaned back and ran a hand through Yun’s hair. “You really like me little stormcloud?” he said softly and Yun nodded at him with eyes wide as saucers. “Please Jun-gē, Uncle Seok doesn’t have any cats, and he doesn’t like me touching Uncle Josh’s toys.”

 

Minghao shook his head at how precious his friend was over some stupid anime figures.

 

“I’ll do it,” Junhui said. “I teach dance on Saturday afternoons though so if you’re going to be later than 2pm I’ll take him with me and you can pick him up from there.”

 

“Dance?” Minghao said as his mind narrowed its focus. “I used to dance...” “Used to? That’s a shame,” Junhui put the cat on his lap down and the orange striped cat ran off. “Once a dancer always a dancer. I teach as a volunteer over at the youth centre by the high school.” Minghao nodded. He knew the one he was talking about. It was close to the gallery. “The kids are really good. We do a showcase every year and a lot of people come.”

 

 

“You’ll really help me? I’ll pay you per hour whatever you get paid by the centre.” Minghao said and Junhui nodded. “I’ll help but don’t pay me. I believe in karma Minghao and you need help. I’ll help you out and maybe one day I’ll need a return favour from the universe. You get back what you give.”

 

He turned his attention back to Yun who was looking through the pile of books Junhui had cleared from the table. “Goodnight Moon!” he held the picture book up in triumph and Junhui laughed. “Take it home,” he said and Minghao shook his head. They couldn’t accept anything else from Junhui, surely, would the man just give the shirt off his back if they were in need of that too?

 

“Take it,” Junhui said. “I was using it for a research project but I don’t need it anymore.”

 

 

Twenty minutes later Yun was talking non stop. The car ride was only about ten minutes but it was filled with Junhui. Junhui’s house, Junhui’s cats, Junhui’s gift of the precious book Yun clutched tight against his chest.

 

 

 

 

“Can we really visit Jun-gē at the cat shelter? He says they have kittens.” Minghao nodded as he piled a plate high with stir fried vegetables and put it in front of Yun.

 

 

 

 

“What games do you think Jun-gē will play with me? I won’t even have to let anyone else join in. It’s gonna be just me and Jun-gē.” Minghao smiled as he crouched next to the bath and rubbed shampoo into Yun’s hair.

 

 

 

 

“Do you think Jun-gē is good at dancing? He must be if he’s a teacher. I wanna see him dance.” Minghao nodded as he pulled the pyjama top down over Yun’s damp hair. His curiosity was also piqued. He was semi serious about his own dancing until he switched to visual arts in his second year of University. Sometimes he wished he’d stuck at it; even just for fun.

 

“Want to sleep with me tonight?” he asked and Yun squealed with delight. “Yes please Daddy! Can we read Goodnight Moon?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minghao laid beside Yun’s sleeping body. It had only taken three read throughs and many Goodnight Moons to get Yun to drop off. He leaned over and turned the lamp off but his mind was still a tornado of confusion and he knew he wasn’t going to get any sleep anytime soon.

 

On a whim he grabbed his phone and typed the name of the youth centre into the YouTube search. A whole list of videos from their showcases came up and Minghao scrolled down until he found a thumbnail of Junhui, ethereal all in white on a black stage, arms outstretched and legs straight and long.

 

He took a deep breath and clicked on the video and watched Junhui dance as he laid in the darkness surrounding him.