Ten (happy junhao day)

Petrichor • Junhui x Minghao

 

“Morning Daddy.”

 

Minghao groaned and opened one eye. Yun was leaning over him a little too close and he closed his eye again before rubbing them both. The last glass of wine he had when he got home was a mistake and his head was pounding and his stomach was churning.

 

“Good morning honey,” Minghao said as he gently pushed Yun aside so he could sit up and get his bearings. “Why are you already dressed?” “Junhui helped me last night. He said its fun to get ready and be orjenised the night before and it makes mornings better.”

 

“It’s organised, not orjenised, and that’s a good idea.” Minghao was a bit sick of Junhui’s constant good ideas. He was irritatingly competent but at least it was one less thing he’d have to worry about. He got up and stretched as Yun watched him from the middle of the bed, his little blue hoodie and jeans neatly ironed and matching. “Jun-gē helped me, I picked the clothes and showed him where the laundry room is, we found some socks in the basket.”

 

Minghao picked up his pants from the night before and considered putting them on again. Something crumpled in the pocket and he reached in and pulled out the phone number she’d slipped him at the end of the night. It had seemed inconsequential at the time but a warm rush filled hi chest at the idea of being wanted. He tossed it on the dresser and decided against the dirty pants as he rummaged in his drawers for a pair of jeans.

 

Minghao microwaved porridge and searched the cupboard for some honey as Yun watched. “Junhui and me, we cooked Daddy, it was delicious. Junhui said no Szechuan beef for me, I’m too little, so we bought beef and broccoli and sesame seeds and ginger and we found soy sauce in the cupboard and we made it. Did you eat it Daddy? I told Junhui you would be hungry when you came home from work. Did you try it? Was it yummy?”

 

“Yes honey, it was delicious, I ate mine while you were asleep.” Minghao moved Yun out the way as he took the hot porridge out and stirred some honey in it. He poured it into a plastic bowl and handed it Yun who took it to the living room for cartoons.

 

“We put the leftover money on the cupboard for you Daddy!” he called out and Minghao went cold.

 

The money.

 

No wonder Junhui had seemed so awkward when he was leaving. Minghao didn’t pay him, didn’t even discuss it with him, he didn’t even ask him how he was getting home. He felt like such an idiot. He didn’t know if the man had called for a ride, or a cab, or even walked. He didn’t know how far it was to his house or if he got home safely.

 

“Daddy?’ Yun called out from the living room. “Daddy? The money? You find it?” Minghao stared at the scattered notes and coins on the cupboard and shuddered. He felt like such a loser.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning,” Seokmin opened the door and smiled brightly, excessively bright for a Saturday morning, as Minghao struggled in with Yun’s stuff. “Hi Uncle Seok,” Yun swung on his heels as he looked around, “what we going to do today? Where’s Uncle Josh?” Minghao looked around and saw the pristine apartment empty besides them standing in the doorway. “Ah, his shifts were changed; actually I’ve got to tell you Hao…” Seokmin looked around sheepishly. “I can have Yun this morning but Joshua just got a new roster and he has to work Saturdays now.” Minghao smiled at his friend as he screamed inside his mind. He knew what was coming next.

 

“We’re just not going to be able to help you out every Saturday. I mean, a few here and there, sure. But not regularly.” “Its fine,” Minghao said dismissively but his mind was already racing with a million thoughts. Who was going to take his Saturdays? The childcare centre wasn’t open. He didn’t want to ask Mingyu. The man was completely besotted with his new boyfriend and he’d barely seen him all week. He knew Mingyu would say yes but he didn’t know if he could dump on his best friend any more than he already did.

 

“Sorry,” Seokmin said again and Minghao just nodded. “I gotta go. Call me if there’s any issues.”

 

 

He almost ran back to his car as his mind worked overtime. The solution was right in front of him if only he could get past his awkwardness. He could ask Junhui and make sure he actually paid him this time. It would make Yun happy and he’d just have to push past having the man around more. He took a few deep breaths and fired off a text message to Junhui’s number, apologising profusely for not paying him, asking if he could talk to him Monday about some more babysitting. He didn’t wait for a reply as he pulled the car into gear and reversed out of the carpark of Joshua and Seokmin’s upscale apartment building.

 

 

 

 

Junhui chuckled a little at the text message. He’d been surprised to see the stuffy and awkward artist so tipsy the night before. It had amused him so much that he giggled to himself as he walked the few blocks home. His house was nestled on a quiet backstreet almost exactly halfway between Minghao’s and the childcare centre. He kicked his feet up on the table as he took the offered mug of tea from Soonyoung’s hands.

 

“What’s so funny?” Soonyoung asked and Junhui leaned back on the couch. His books were scattered around him and he really should be studying but he couldn’t resist Soonyoung’s offer to come over and keep him company. “That guy. I just can’t work him out.”

 

Soonyoung knew exactly who Junhui was talking about. “He really didn’t pay you?” he asked as he shook his head. Junhui was the most hardworking man he knew. His friend was really special, kind and honest and generous to a fault, and Soonyoung constantly worried about him being taken advantage of.

 

“It’s fine,” Junhui sipped his tea and sighed contentedly. “He just forgot. He just messaged me to apologise.” “And....” Soonyoung raised his eyebrows as he shifted deeper into the comfortable armchair he liked so much. “And..... asked me if he could talk to me about more work.” “More work? Jun, you work more than anyone I know, with the centre and your Masters degree, the dance classes and the cat shelter.....” “I like to be busy,” Junhui’s eyes took on a faraway quality and Soonyoung fell quiet. He’d been close with Junhui since college and he’d never been the same since his breakup. Soonyoung knew he liked to keep busy and he knew he didn’t like to be alone.

 

“I know,” Soonyoung reached over and put a hand on Junhui’s knee. He’d never seen someone so simultaneously wide open and yet shut off. Junhui’s heart was an open wound barely stitched closed. He couldn’t bear to see anyone tug at the stitches and make him fall apart all over again.

 

They sat in silence as their mugs of tea cooled in the crisp morning air. Junhui wasn’t rich by any means but his hard word and a small inheritance from his grandfather a few years ago mean his house was homely and comfortable and filled with everything he needed. All but the one thing that had been missing for the last two years. Someone to share it.

 

 

“I have to get ready,” Junhui stood up suddenly and left the mug in the middle of the table. “Don’t let him take advantage of you,” Soonyoung warned as he watched his friend tidy up the pile of books. “He needs help,” Junhui looked up from his textbooks to see Soonyoung watching him with concern. “He’s got a husband to help him.” “No he doesn’t. That guy must just be his friend or his brother or something. Yun calls him ‘Uncle’ and he definitely doesn’t live there.”

 

Soonyoung felt strange as he dropped Junhui off at the youth centre. He’d give the world to see his friend happy again, truly happy, he had such a generous heart and so much love to give. But Soonyoung knew Junhui was still fragile and he couldn’t bear to help him through another breakup. Junhui hid his fragility behind a facade of humour and lightheartedness but Soonyoung knew the man inside was still terribly lonely and his heart ached for his friend. He’d do anything he had to do to protect Junhui from any more pain.

 

The man just wouldn’t survive it.