vii

partition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chaeyeon was running. Wildly, like a madwoman.

 

She knew she should’ve drove to the restaurant instead, but Chaeyeon was late enough as it is for the “date” with Sakura, it would only take more of her time if she were to go home and get her car. So she took a bus to the restaurant.

 

After the MV shooting, Chaeyeon practically ran out the set. She felt really bad about doing that too. 

 

Chaeyeon kind of regrets leaving the shoot so abruptly, especially with Trainer Kwon being there. To make matters worse, she had been the one who invited their choreographer to the filming. But Chaeyeon totally forgot that she already made plans for lunch with Sakura since weeks ago. What with their incredibly busy jobs, they had to schedule meetups carefully so there were no interruptions and no bailing. So Chaeyeon really wants to kick herself for forgetting the lunch with Sakura when she’s been stressing about it for a few weeks.

 

In any case, Chaeyeon thought maybe she should invite Trainer Kwon to lunch sometime… as an apology for inviting her to the filming, but not spending time with her. It was the least Chaeyeon could do.

 

Before Chaeyeon could contemplate it some more, she spots Sakura sitting by the front of the restaurant.

 

This was to be their first time seeing each other face-to-face since the argument that led to their breakup three months ago. Chaeyeon was nervous beyond belief; palm sweating, heart racing, hard to breathe. The thought that Sakura might still hate her, that Chaeyeon has lost her best friend forever didn’t settle well in her stomach. Even so, she walks towards Sakura to face this head on. Only a few feet away, Chaeyeon wonders if she should go for a friendly hug, or for a cheek-kiss. Maybe they could shake hands instead?

 

“Chaeyeon!” Sakura sat up and quickly pulled Chaeyeon in for a brief hug.

 

Hugging Sakura back, the idol didn’t know just how much she was missing her best friend until now. After everything that went down between them as a couple, there is still a sense of familiarity that Chaeyeon was glad for. Though the tension lingers.

 

When they sat down across each other, the two of them were silent for a bit of time. “I’m glad we’re doing this,” Chaeyeon finally says.

 

“Lunch?”

 

“Yes. But, you know, us... hanging out again.”

 

“Me too, Chaeyeon.” Sakura smiles warmly. “I really missed you. You were—are my best friend. I hated not talking to you.”

 

“I missed you too,” Chaeyeon returns honestly. A huge weight lifted.

 

They’d quickly scanned the menu and ordered. It was a bit pointless to look at the food items when they were going to order their usual anyway. This was their favorite restaurant, after all. “How are you?” Sakura asks after the waiter left with their orders.

 

“I’m good. We just finished shooting a music video before I came here, and I’m really excited for the song to drop.”

 

Sakura smiles, but Chaeyeon could tell something was off. “What about your non-idol life?”

 

Chaeyeon’s brows furrowed. “What do you mean?”

 

The Japanese woman looked like she was contemplating whether she should say what’s on her mind. Then, she sighs. “Tell me something that’s not about your job,” Sakura says. “I’m your best friend, you’re supposed to tell me meaningful things… or random things, not keep me at arm’s length by spewing out things about your work.”

 

It was an understatement to say that Chaeyeon was surprised. Somehow, the way Sakura was brutally honest was familiar, but in a far off past kind of sense. Chaeyeon found herself thinking back on their relationship, whether what Sakura said was true. She didn't need to think to hard to know that it was.

 

Chaeyeon leans back in her seat defeatedly. ”Is that why we broke up?”

 

“One of the reasons,” Sakura admits. “...It was like one day, you stopped telling me things. You started to sound like you were in an interview when we were together. At first, it was fine... I did want to know what was going on with your job, but even then, you didn’t tell me more than what I could find out on the internet.”

 

Chaeyeon looks down. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize.” 

 

“It’s okay. I mean, it's not really okay… but it was also my fault.” Sakura looks at Chaeyeon shyly, “I thought, being your partner, I shouldn’t call you out on it. So I just accepted whatever you gave me—even though it was clearly bothering me. I kept quiet about everything that was bothering me until I just couldn’t anymore. So I started picking small fights—“

 

“Oh, they weren’t small,” Chaeyeon jokes.

 

Thankfully, Sakura found it funny and laughed. She then clears before adding, “I also shouldn’t have asked you to come out and publicize our relationship. It wasn’t a choice for you as an idol. It was selfish of me… and I don’t think I’ve apologized for that.” Sakura then grabs hold of Chaeyeon’s hand and squeezed it. “I’m really sorry, Chaeyeon, truly.”

 

A genuine smile made its way to her face. “That’s okay, Saku-chan. We’re okay.” Chaeyeon squeezes back her friend’s hand.

 

“I’m really glad.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter