vi

partition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eunbi wakes up feeling fatigued even after having a full seven hours of sleep. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, Eunbi curses at herself for being so pathetic.

 

Last night had been a mistake.

 

Her mistake of waiting for her neighbor to come home even when Chaeyeon already texted her saying that she wouldn’t. Yet, even when the clock struck midnight, she stayed on the balcony, hoping to hear the sound of the balcony door sliding open that often makes her feel so much better for absolutely no other reason than getting the chance to talk to her neighbor. So, Eunbi gave it another thirty minutes before she called it a night and moved to her bedroom, then it was another thirty of overthinking and coming to ridiculous conclusions about her neighbor’s whereabouts before passing out from exhaustion.

 

Eunbi came to the conclusion that…

 

There’s two of them.

 

There are two Chaeyeon-s in Eunbi’s life at the moment. And it absolutely drove her insane to think just how similar, yet also how different they were.

 

The girl she met on the balcony was more timid, much more soft-spoken than the other one. Chaeyeon, her neighbor, reminds Eunbi of meeting a shy little kid, who upon further time spent together, would open up and show just how silly and loud she could be. An absolute dork, if Eunbi ever saw one––though, unfortunately, Eunbi hasn’t seen her.

 

And there was the other Chaeyeon.

 

The idol Chaeyeon was different–or should Eunbi still call her LEE?––She was serious, always focused. She was hardworking and driven with a fiery passion to perform that rivaled most people. Eunbi sometimes wonder if this Chaeyeon ever took a break to let loose or unwind. It was so obvious how the idol came alive every time a song played, and commanded the room each time she’s on stage. And she was… she was absolutely breathtaking. And oh so beautiful. A quality that Eunbi couldn’t quite compare to her neighbor, much as she likes to imagine.

 

Honestly, Eunbi would have thought they were the same person if not for these differences.

 

Then again, they were also alike in other ways.

 

They both seem to take care of people really well. 

 

From the small glimpses she had seen in the practice room, Chaeyeon, the idol, was the mother of the group. Even though she wasn’t the oldest, she took care of the girls like she was. Chaeyeon helped the girls with their choreo, made sure they drank enough water, and always tells them to not skip meals. It was endearing for Eunbi to see.

 

The same as her neighbor, Chaeyeon took care of Eunbi. Eunbi doubts Chaeyeon does it on purpose, but she kind of hopes it is. Chaeyeon would make Eunbi face her feelings and talk it out, sometimes even staying up way too late than necessary to do so. She made sure Eunbi never felt alone, that she always has someone to cry to, even if it’s through a partition.

 

And there was another thing that was similar about them––something Eunbi was reluctant to admit…

 

They both made her heart flutter.

 

Eunbi didn’t know how or when these two people managed to creep into her life, her thoughts, her…

 

Ugh. 

 

Eunbi has to stop thinking about this.

 

Especially now, when she’s promised Chaeyeon, the idol, to come to the filming of their music video. She didn’t want to be late to the filming, lest she misses it completely. After all, It was their last day of filming, according to WMG’s manager. The dance trainer would have come sooner to their filming, but unfortunately, Eunbi was busy teaching her classes at Woollim Dance Studio. Either way, Eunbi has to get ready quickly if she wants to make it to the filming.

 

Not wanting to waste any more time, Eunbi even called for a cab so she could arrive at the filming site faster than if she were to take public transport. She arrived at a warehouse 20 minutes later.

 

Following the clutter of props and people shouting over each other, Eunbi finally ended up amongst the filming crew, still in the process of setting up a new backdrop. The trainer looks around the room, trying to find a familiar face, or maybe a sign that would point to the waiting room.

 

A thought crossed her mind. All this chaos, it could’ve been hers, if only she succeeded becoming an idol. This made Eunbi frown. It’s true that Eunbi made peace with not becoming an idol, but Eunbi would be lying if she said she wasn’t slightly bitter about not being able to go through this side of idol life; the music video shooting, the music show promotions, performing at concerts, meeting fans. 

 

“Trainer Kwon!” A voice brought her back to the present, and out of her own head. Eunbi looks around to find where the voice came from. It was Hyewon, the manager. “C’mon, I’ll take you to the girls, they’re still in the dressing room.”

 

Eunbi quickly follows Hyewon through multiple hallways, getting closer and closer to where the comeback song is being played loudly.

 

Right as she stepped into the dressing room, she saw the girls in an all purple costume. When Eunbi first envisioned the choreography being performed, she hadn’t thought of what kind of clothes the girls would wear to embody a femine, but girl crush image. But seeing the girls now, she had to commend the stylist for successfully doing a great job of expressing the concept.

 

Immediately the girls shouted over each other trying to greet their choreographer.

 

Eunbi, still hovering in the doorway, gives a little wave. “Hey girls. You all look great. Super chic.” As she looks around the room, suddenly she realises someone was missing. “...Where’s Chaeyeon?”

 

“Right here.” A voice said from behind Eunbi.

 

Eunbi whirls around in surprise. “Chaeyeon!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter