Chapter 9

Dunk in Love

Jinyoung woke up feeling especially great; no usual grumpiness nor laziness of attending his classes. Never once had he ever thought he’d smile first thing in the morning. It’s Monday anyway, he also got the practice to motivate him.

The time on the watch he didn’t even bother to take off last night showed ten to seven. It was still early, he had some time before his morning exercise schedule. So he reached out for his phone and saw a message from Mark, his boyfriend. The end of his mouth curved into a smile recalling the sudden confession which led to his new relationship status. Park ing Jinyoung was officially dating. That’s new. It all happened so suddenly, he hadn’t even decided what he’d do with this relationship. Mark was sweet and warm like a cinnamon roll and he just couldn’t help to shag him. But knowing his personality, he wondered if it was okay taking it public.

Stopping his train of thought was the vibration of his phone with Mark’s name displayed on the screen. He must had seen the read status on the messenger. The most annoying feature Jinyoung usually resented.

“Hey,” he said, hearing how raw his voice sounded. The sound of Mark giggling on the other side of the line made him smile wider, like always. “What are you doing today?”

He could hear Mark rolling on his bed, trying to get a better position before he spoke, “I have early class at 7, I should’ve been brushing my teeth by now, but I’m just too lazy. My body feels sore.”

Jinyoung chortled, knowing he’s the whole reason Mark was feeling that way. “Did you perhaps do excessive exercise on the weekend, Mark? A hard-working guy is such a turn on.”

“Oh shut up! By the way I need to shower or else I’ll be late.”

“Mh, I should’ve been there and bathed you, touched you in the places you like the most.” Jinyoung rolled onto his back touching his bare chest while continued, “Tell me, how do you like me your pretty neck in the shower while rubbing my between your ?”

He could hear Mark gasping; very obvious he was flustered looking at how panickily he answered. “Are you trying to have a phone with me right now?”

“Yes.”

“Wow, how could you say that so shamelessly? What if someone hears this conversation?”

“Then they’ll know how passionate we are,” his hand started to rub the bulge under his pants. He could almost see Mark’s face turned so red, made him even hotter. He rubbed his half-erected , faster while imagining it was Mark’s hand instead of his.

“You’re silly. It’s my first time, what if I sound silly? Do you mind if I look for some reference first?”

And Jinyoung wasn’t able to hold his laughter anymore. Despite being an adult, Mark never failed to amuse him with his innocence. It was dangerous. He had to be careful.

“Sure, take whatever preparation you need.”

“Thank you. I need to shower now, last night I was too tired to get any.”

“Of course. Think of me when you rub that cute of yours.”

“Jinyoung!”

He just sneered with his eyes closed before putting down his phone; feeling his twitching of the image of Mark ing on him: his husky voice when he tried so hard to get off, maybe he would intentionally moan loudly enough for his neighbor to hear; feeling thrilled that someone probably heard. , Jinyoung was so hard.

“Okay, I got you baby.” He said to himself, started to pump hard the shaft with one hand, while the other concentrated on the head. It woke up his senses, leaving goosebumps on the nape of his neck. He remembered the way Mark breathing heavily in his arms, the way his eyes stared at him so lewdly taking every of his hips just so passionately as if his life depended on it. So hot, so sinful he just couldn’t stop pumping.

“The hell are you doing?!” a voice suddenly interrupted his fantasy, slamming him hard into reality.

“What the hell! You scared the hell out of me.” He got up instantly.

“Said someone who’s on the couch. Why bother coming home at all you if you keep on sleeping on the couch?” Irene busied herself with her breakfast in the kitchen. She had morning class on Mondays and her grumpiness level rocketed like a woman with PMS.

“Therefore, please leave my apartment,” Jinyoung said, tucking back his . Suddenly not feeling it with the cold stare the girl was throwing him.

“Why? So you could bring your play toys here? No way.” 

Jinyoung rolled to his side, ignoring her presence as much as he could. He didn’t like to be home with Irene in it. But his father had made an ultimatum. If he still wanted to live in luxury, he had to treat the girl well. He hadn’t, if anything he ignored her most of the time despite her nosiness which sometimes could get unbearable. “ off.”

“Fine, around as much as you want, but I’m not moving out,” she said slamming the door behind her.

For a second, Jinyoung contemplated if it was better to just live with his mother, but the thought of meeting his mother’s boyfriends wasn’t pleasant either. Already being in the foul mood, he got up to change to his sweatpants. Seconds after, conference video call request popped up on his phone. He accepted it, ignoring the teasing from his friends about his date as he got his treadmill ready, putting his phone on it.

“The cute little guy, who’s his name again?” Hyungsik asked.

“Mark.”

“Mark? A foreigner eh?” his other friend barked.

“No, he’s not. Your name is Kevin, and tell me again if you have western ascendant,” Jinyoung said after tying up his shoes, ready to run.

“I’m just saying. So how’s he like?”

“Knowing Jinyoung, I can bet he’s a hotie, likes to play around popular guys, playing hard to get like a female fox. Rarrrr.” 

Jinyoung chuckled, realizing that Mark was nothing like any person he had dated before. Mark’s a delicate creature, barely touched. And he’d like to keep it that way for now, so he didn’t spill any other information about him and just focused on running. 

“So are you up for our play date tonight?” Kevin asked.

“No, I’ve got practice.”

Hyungsik snorted, “I feel bad for your lover. They just gotta stand aside for your basketball practice.”

The guy was jealous, Jinyoung was aware of that. Having become a player for years, he could sense if someone was interested in him in 10 meter radius. The lingering gaze, skin ship that stayed longer than it had to be; something that he realized himself doing every time Mark was around. Oh, he wondered if he could go through today without a thought of that guy. And Jinyoung was smiling again, shyly. It turned out he couldn’t.

By the time he arrived at the basketball field after lunch, Mark was already there. Only, he wasn’t alone, with Jackson sticking next to him like a chewed bubble gum. The hell they were laughing about. Jackson wasn’t even that funny.

“What the hell?!” Jackson yelped as Jinyoung pulled his jersey up.

“The hell are you still doing here, people are warming up.”

“Speak for yourself!” Jackson shook himself up. 

Jinyoung shoved Jackson away before realizing what he just did. He then laughed in an attempt to make it looked like a tease. The shorter guy, being easily provoked, couldn’t let it go so they were involved in some kind of wrestling with Jackson’s hand pulling his hair and everything. Despite Mark trying to hold him, Jackson kept coming at him. He couldn’t take it anymore so he held Jackson’s head away from him. The guy kept trying to kick him but his short leg didn’t really help until he decided to leave before hurting his pride even more.

Jinyoung sighed, wondering how a creature like Jackson could exist. Although he’s fun, he can really be a handful. That’s the whole reason he didn’t wanna see him for more than necessary.

“Hey,” Mark said. His eyes sparkled like a kid, waiting to be kissed.

“Hey. What are you doing here? Don’t you know the club practice is cancelled?”

“I do, I just, want to see you.”

And Jinyoung could feel his face burning although he hadn’t been under the sun for that long. He just stood there, contemplating the temptation to kiss the other. He wondered if Mark put product on his lips because they’re just so inviting. 

“Jinyoung?” 

“I figure.”

He giggled and Jinyoung smiled back, didn’t actually know why.

“Hey, is it ok for me to leave my stuff here?” 

And that’s just what he said, but Mark looked flustered as if Jinyoung had just asked if the other wanted to bear his child. He reacted to the smallest touch, that amused him. Something he didn’t feel with his other partners who were usually obvious, the player standard romance: no improvisation, no thrill.

Mark scooted a little to give space for his bag, eyes looking up at him with his lips slightly parted. Jinyoung quickly took off his jacket and lightly covered the other’s head with it in an attempt to make him stop. He didn’t really want to make a scene.

“Stop looking at me like that,” he said.

Mark pulled the jacked down, apparently aware of what he’s doing. “Why? Are you shy?”

“There’s no way.”

Mark bit his lower lip when he smiled and Jinyoung tried to look busy rummaging his bag to hide his own smile. 

“Ah , I didn’t bring my head band.”

“Are you sure? maybe it slipped somewhere in your bag.”

“Na’ah. It’s not here.” No matter how many times he stirred his belongings, it wasn’t there. He didn’t even have a rubber band. The sun was especially strong today, and he didn’t want to sweat a lot in front of his boyfriend on the first day of their relationship. Just like his father, he knew his sweaty body smelled bad. That’s why he liked perfume.

“I think I might have something,” Mark said while untying the bandana from his jeans and pulled him to kneel before him.

“Oh, I thought it was an Amiri.” He laughed at his foolishness.

“What’s that?”

“Mh? Nevermind.” Jinyoung chuckled amused by how hard it was to control himself around Mark. Especially when they’re this close. He just wanted to that face and him. “You’re blushing.”

“I know,” Mark admitted. Ever so shyly biting his lower lip. And Jinyoung just couldn’t help it, as soon as his hair was secured by the bandana, he charged forward, taking Mark’s cherry lips onto his. It tasted as sweet as it looked and he could feel heat radiated from the other’s face travelled down his spine, straight to his crotch. God, it felt like being baptized. 

“I’ll be back,” Jinyoung said still ghosting around Mark’s lips, didn’t actually want to go. 

He said that, yet once Hyunjin passed him the ball once he got to the field, he was totally engaged. He had always wanted to be a basketball player. He liked it, his father liked it before he became a workaholic , forcing him to take the steps he thought was necessary for his future career taking over the company. So Jinyoung went all the opposite way his father wanted him to be. He took philosophy instead of business, focusing on basketball instead of starting to help in the company, and hooking up with tons of people instead of being engaged to the prettiest right girl he knew.

Jinyoung saw an opening when Jackson suddenly froze, ball on his hand was left unguarded so he took it and shot directly to the goal post. 

“Hey that wasn’t fair!” Jackson protested.

“Sorry, Jackson. 2 more points for the handsome guy team.” He high fived Hyunjin. 

“It’s not my fault, even JB is drooling.” 

“Me? What’s with me?” the captain heard his name mentioned.

“You’re drooling over Irene. I thought you said she’s just okay. Guess you’re still a man, captain.” Hyunjin snickered.

And before they bickered about the 3 cheerleaders who just happened to visit them practicing, coach Argus interrupted them with a yelling, so they continued practicing.

They applied the new strategy the coach and Jaebum had come up with, but they got confused in the middle so that disrupted their movement a little. They tried it again, until they could feel it in their body. Bangchan, their camouflage master showed some fake moves which got Yugyeom flustered so he could easily pass him and made a goal. However, the big guy picked up some skill and stole the ball from Jinyoung although he had to lose it to Jackson some seconds after. Jackson shot and his team gained more score. Jackson’s team won by the end of the game but Jinyoung strangely couldn’t care less.

“Stop it, I’m getting jealous.”

Mark looked startled. 

“Of what?”

He was staring at the girls, didn’t realize that Jinyoung was already standing in front of him.

“I thought you’re not interested in chicks whosoever,” he took the water bottle Mark was handing him and drank from it. The water leaked from his mouth and ran through his sweaty neck, refreshing. “Is she still not your type?”

“She’s not,” Mark said still focusing on the glistening beads of sweat on Jinyoung’s neck. 

“Good, because I can’t grow s.”

“What? I’m gay, what are you talking about?”

Jinyoung laughed. “We’re gonna play dodge ball, come join. Ian needs to go home early, we need the tenth player.”

“You want me to play?”

“Of course, it’ll be fun.”

It’s gonna be team Jinyoung VS team Jaebum although Jackson was a little upset for not being picked as the team leader. They played paper rock scissors and Jinyoung’s scissors were beaten by Jaebum’s rock so the captain now had the privilege to choose his team members first and decide the queen for both teams. Jackson had made an excessive movement so he was chosen, but oddly JB picked Mark over the jack of all trades.

“So this is the real you? I can’t believe it, don’t you have eyes?” Jackson was sulking, looking betrayed.

“I need to secure the queen first, sorry bro.” 

“Whatever, I’m taking Jinyoung’s side today!” clinging onto Jinyoung’s shoulder firmly.

Jinyoung caught Mark’s eyes on him while he was thinking. It was such a shame not to be able to hold him but game is a game. He had lost to Jaebum in the practice, he had to win this one. “Clever choice. Then I’ll have Hyunjin.”

Now Jackson was all upset for not being the first pick for both teams. He started to yell, complaining to anybody who’d listen while Hyunjin was teasing him. Thankfully Jaebum picked him so he shut up although he was still shooting laser through Jinyoung’s botherless face.

Jinyoung then chose Yugyeom and soon after they each had a team of 5 members. Now it’s time for Jaebum to decide the queens to protect.

“My team’s queen obviously would be Mark. And Jinyoung’s team's queen is…Yugyeom.”

Jinyoung was dumbfounded. This was obviously unfair. Yugyeom had the biggest body among all of them. He was gonna be an easy target and the members should throw their life in order to protect that queen.

“It’s not fair at all, is it? The Jaebum I know isn’t this cheap,” Jinyoung still tried to argue while trying his best to display composed manner.

“Ay, game is a game, you’d win if you hit Mark first.” Jaebum bluffed because he and everybody else were aware that Mark was practically invisible behind his back. Jackson exaggerated his happiness and praised Jaebum’s cleverness while Jinyoung cursed on paper rock scissors. He didn’t usually lose on that game.

The spectators cheered on them as they got into position. They laughed at Yugyeom’s awkwardness trying to hide behind the team before the game was even started. Meanwhile, it didn’t matter where Mark stood as he was hidden perfectly.

“What’s this? I can’t even see him!” Jinyoung couldn’t help but to complain again.

Mark sneaked love sign with his fingers and that alone made him felt challenged. He’s really gonna win this game.

When the whistle was blown, Jackson ran fast but he lost the ball to the slightly faster Jinyoung who took the chance to immediately hit him out. The crowd laughed as Jackson was still on the ground, flabbergasted of what had just happened.  

“Ya you moron!” Jaebum despite had expected this turn of event, still was caught surprised. 

As soon as Jackson stood outside the line of Jinyoung’s team area, the game resumed with Bangchan picking up the ball. Jinyoung who didn’t hesitate on attacking Jackson fiercely before, shamelessly grabbed Seungmin to protect him which resulted in the shorter guy’s elimination. They fought a little before the guy was called to stand outside the opposite area.

“That’s Park Jinyoung for you, he betrays,” Jackson said before attacking Jinyoung’s team again. Lee know was sent out because a blow to his feet. Han from Jaebum’s team got the ball and he successfully hit Hyunjin on the head when the guy was looking elsewhere.

Hyunjin, was so upset that he took off his jersey and ran to the opponent’s area, trying to take revenge personally in his hand despite his cluelessness of who the culprit was. Yugyeom kept shouting it was Han but the smaller guy didn’t even hear him so he just roamed around the field looking stupid.

With that, Jinyoung became the best man for queen Yugyeom, but it didn’t mean his team was losing. As long as the queen didn’t get hit, they could still win. And as soon as his team got the ball again, Jinyoung was back on attack mode. He let go of Yugyeom and his ball made the agile Bangchan out at once. The ball which bounced outside the line was then caught by Hyunjin who threw that to Lee Know who’s closer to Mark. He got the ball and immediately attacked the queen, but Han was fast enough to sacrifice himself.

Now it was only Mark and Jaebum on their team and the captain was getting dizzy as Jinyoung’s team kept on passing the ball between them. Hyunjin suddenly took the shot and aimed it on Mark’s feet, but Jaebum was fast to twirl his body that the ball hit himself. Fortunately, the ball rebounded to Lee know who immediately attacked Mark again. JB had to take the blow a dozen times like a punching bag from the relentless attack. It was rather fun toying with him.

Jinyoung didn’t even realize that he’d left Yugyeom defenseless until Jaebum unexpectedly caught the ball and he aimed it directly on his queen. But luckily, probably due to his dizziness, the throwing was a little too weak that the ball didn’t fly that far. Bangchan was there to pick up the ball and saved the team. Jinyoung quickly retreated and held Yugyeom behind him.

Although they were safe for now, Jinyoung was still flustered. He tried his best to keep his composure despite s’ scolding. In the background, he could hear the audience cheering for them. He recognized Irene’s voice due to how often he had heard her screaming. He hated it.

He kept twirling and took blown on his own body until finally managed to catch the ball himself. He moved forward and as his eyes fixated on Jaebum instead of Mark, he shot the ball. Unexpectedly, JB dodged it while Mark who couldn’t see the ball coming was hit on the head instead.

It was a hard blow judging by how it sounded. Jinyoung ran immediately, making sure his boyfriend was alright. Mark looked dazed but he’s laughing nonetheless. So he took him to his arm while gently rubbing his head.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

“Ya, you’re too much. What if he had concussion?” Jaebum followed, Mark’s head.

“You’re not supposed to dodge that.”

“Guys, I’m fine,” Mark said as he moved behind the line.

“Where are you going?” Jaebum held his arm and lingered there.

“I’m out right?”

“Yeah, meaning you lost, Your Highness,” Yugyeom bluffed which was cheered by his team members and the spectators.

“All you did was standing there like a scared cat, what are you so proud of?” Jackson replied as he was pulled closer by Lee Know, muffling whatever things the guy had to say.

The second half felt different from the first one. It was almost neck to neck battle as the members weren’t easily kicked out. Jaebum must had come up with effective strategy as after almost 10 minutes they managed to leave Yugyeom with Hyunjin on the field after Jinyoung failed to catch Jackson’s ball. He didn’t smile and didn’t bother to return Mark’s encouraging smile as he walked over. He was too focus on how tightly Jaebum’s hands were keeping his boyfriend close. Yugyeom couldn’t be right. It was just protective move. The two weren’t close the last time he checked it with Mark.

Seungmin passed to ball to him. They counter-attacked and soon JB was the best man again. They were winning, Jinyoung knew it. He didn’t like how the two was stuck together trying to stay alive. But he wasn’t ready for this game to end. He needed to see, even the smallest proof of how familiar Mark and Jaebum actually were. The more he watched them, the more believable what Yugyeom said to him. He had never seen Jaebum this eager to act, he’s the type who'd delegate others to do things for him. He'd never want to last as the best man in dodge ball, now he was playing as if he was betting all his properties. Was Jaebum really into his boyfriend?

Jinyoung threw fast ball aggressively, provoking the captain. But for some reason, the guy still did his best to protect. He held Mark closer, it was as if he’s purposefully taunting him which was a bit unexpected as he’s not supposed to know about him and Mark. Unless he saw him kissing him before. Jinyoung was still thinking when finally Mark couldn’t dodge the last blow coming from Seungmin which concluded the game.

His team won, but instead of celebrating with the others, Jinyoung walked away and headed to the bathroom; didn’t even look back as Hyunjin called him because the image of Jaebum, who despite having had suffered from relentless attack, still checked if Mark was okay played in his mind. Jinyoung had seen it, the look in his friend’s eyes. He knew, because that’s how he used to look at him.