Chapter 8

Dunk in Love

It was a fine afternoon when Mark and Jinyoung headed out from the parking area where Jinyoung parked his Volvo. The sun was a little blinding Mark had to narrow his eyes to avoid the light. He could hear Jinyoung chuckling from the driver seat while his hand was skillfully changing the gear as he turned to the main road. The traffic wasn’t bad and Mark was liking it. One of the reasons he rarely went out was bad traffic. It made him a little sick in his stomach to be stuck in a barely moving car on the road. 

The swimming certainly started to take effect on his body. If only he was serious about exercise a long time ago, he wouldn’t have sleeping problem at all. He yawned as wide as usual until he realized Jinyoung was glancing at him. 

“That tired, aren’t we?”

Mark blushed, turning his head to see his boyfriend better. It was rather unbelievable that the guy would say yes to his proposal. Now that strikingly handsome guy was his and his only. There was no JB or other suitors who could claim him.

“Isn’t that cool?”

“Huh, what is?”

“Me being your boyfriend.”

That smirk made Mark’s face as red as a tomato. He was sure he said that in his head. “Did you perhaps read my mind?”

“Why? You just thought of that?”

“Right before you said it.”

Jinyoung hummed. His eyes were focusing on the road, looking so dreamy. “Think about something, I’ll guess.”

That’s really lame. But Jinyoung was doing it, so Mark was fine with it. He then closed his eyes and shouted how hungry he was in his head. He took a glance at his boyfriend to check if he could hear his mind.

“Do you want something to eat?” Jinyoung said.

Mark’s eyes widened, now he was almost afraid to think of anything. 

“Mark?”

“Huh?”

“Do you want to eat something?”

Mark nodded and Jinyoung’s hand reached down to get a protein bar from his cabinet. Mark stared at it before tearing up the package. It didn’t taste half tasty. There was a taste in it but somehow it lacked of flavor.

“Do you like it?”

“What? Yeah it’s good.”

Jinyoung laughed as it was apparent that Mark would rather eat literally anything else. 

“I was joking. Well, I don’t have anything in here that might suit your taste, unless you wanna eat me. Tell me I’m a 100% your taste or I’ll push you off my car.”

Mark’s eyes widened at the dark cheesy joke, he held tight on his seatbelt tho for precaution. 

“Hey, joke joke! It was a joke. Don’t make that kind of face. Why would I kill my own boyfriend on the first date? I’ll wait until the seventh. Hey stop hitting me, I’m driving!”

Mark couldn’t help but to hit the other. Jinyoung said it like he meant it. And a joke about murder was a little too dark only after several hours they’re in the relationship. He shoved the protein bar into Jinyoung’s mouth which he chewed so naturally. It was almost sensical to wonder if the guy’s taste sense had become dull. But then he remembered JB saying that Jinyoung was all into healthy food, so no wonder.

“Where are we going though? You still remember I’m without underwear, don’t you?”

Jinyoung brushed his thumb on the corner of his lips where there was bread crumb and it. It was simple gesture but that somehow made him sensually attractive. 

“That’s actually all I could think about.” He chuckled, “I’m taking you to the place where I frequent a lot. I wanted to take you there last Friday, but it was ruined because of that bastard JB.”

“We’re going to Han River?”

Jinyoung turned his head for a moment, “How do you know?”

“You checked in a lot there. There and Gangnam.”

Suddenly Jinyoung hit his horn, the sound almost made Mark jumped from his seat. At first, Mark thought his boyfriend was upset, but he was biting his smile. 

“What’s happening?”

“You, Mark. You are finally happening to me.” Jinyoung chewed his lip before continued, “You should’ve talked to me Mark, not stalking me. This could’ve been done faster.”

Mark thought Jinyoung might be thinking he was explaining himself but he really didn’t. 

“You didn’t reply to my first text, I thought you didn’t like me. But you acted as if you’re all into me when we’re together, you’re so confusing.”

“I was waiting for you to contact me again, but you didn’t. I thought you’re just toying with me.”

Jinyoung snorted in amusement. “Yeah, you flirty collectible toy in display, taunting everyone to touch.”

“When did I? I only flirted with you”

He wanted to explain more but Jinyoung suddenly hit the gas and sped up, so fast that Mark had to hang on tight to his seat. They intercepted some cars like a police car running after a bad guy. Jinyoung was enjoying it, he was grinning with his hand busy on the wheel. Somewhere along the way, Mark almost heard him singing, his voice was so soft which was a contrast to the situation Mark was in right now. He was holding his breath while the gravity pulled him forward, too fast he almost cried. 

Thankfully, soon they arrived at the Han River, otherwise Mark had considered to throw himself off the door as he couldn’t stand the adrenaline any longer. Han river was in the heart of the city which made the area much more vibrant so Jinyoung had to adjust his speed. 

Mark hadn’t been here for years, he almost felt like a countryman. When Jinyoung opened the door for him, he was still speechless seeing how the area was packed by people, busy minding their own business: picnic, walking, bicycling, and eating.

“Are we going to the café you usually go to?” he stared at Jinyoung.

“Sure, we could.”

Jinyoung seemed to be a regular in so many fancy cafes around here, drinking expensive coffee. He usually visited with some friends. Now that he thought about it, during almost a month he knew the guy, he never posted any picture with a single guy or girl. That was one of the reasons he thought Jinyoung being a player was nothing but a rumor. 

“We’re here.”

Mark stared blankly at what appeared to be a convenient store. People were coming in and out the door with minimarket food he was very used to. No fancy café nor fancy coffee, not that Mark was dying to be taken to any of those places, but a minimarket date for the first date?

“Let’s go,” Jinyoung pushed his back to enter the establishment. 

The bell rang and they were greeted loudly. 

“We’re gonna eat here?”

“Isn’t this fancy? This oppa can buy you the whole alley, come on.”

Jinyoung pulled him to where the ramyeon were stored. There were so many cup ramyeon but he took the whole pack of usual ramyeon, saying Styrofoam was bad for the environment. There’s this one thing he just learnt about Jinyoung: he jabbered, in fact he didn’t stop talking. He took care of what ramyeon to eat, which cheese, if they had to add eggs or not, even the right amount of water to put inside the aluminum cup along with detail reasons why. 

“JB said you wouldn’t eat this kind of food,” Mark said after they’re seated on the table under the tree, stopping Jinyoung from reciting the whole Wikipedia entry about history of noodle.

“I don’t. But ramyeon is the best food to enjoy with your lover here,” he stirred the food and handed that to Mark, unaware how his short sentence was much more lovely than his lecture on unnecessary things. Or he did that on purpose, Mark couldn’t tell but he liked it. It was as if he was taken to an expensive restaurant and had beef steak. Jinyoung was willing to dump his healthy diet whatsoever to enjoy the most favorite Han river experience with him. He felt special.

Jinyoung waited until Mark had his ramyeon first before himself started eating. His reaction was funny tho, like a kid having ice cream for the first time. It was almost the same reaction as of Mark’s first 2 minutes arriving here. Softly he heard Jinyoung asked him to be careful with the food as it was still hot before digging back to his bowl.

The situation was almost homey and Mark was comfortable. Although he slightly minded that the girl sitting next to them were sobbing loudly. Her friends were trying to calm her down but apparently she was just being rejected by her crush. She had been in one sided love with this guy friend of hers. It was sad that she had been writing the guy’s essay for months and bringing him lunch. She even lent him money which he never rely to find out later that he used the money to buy his girlfriend a birthday present. 

Mark stared at Jinyoung who didn’t give a that at all. He had almost finished his ramyeon, and his dumplings were already gone. 

“Aren’t you taking it a little too well for someone who doesn’t usually eat ramyeon?”

Jinyoung grinned, his mouth was still full of food. He didn’t even bother to swallow before answering, “This is just too good, I used to eat this a lot. It’s like a reunion with a long missing friend.”

“You can always eat it, it’s not like it costs a car.”

“I can’t. Long story.” 

And with that he slurped clean his cup. He made a happy contended smile. Mark was happy to witness it, at least until Jinyoung spoke about ramen museum in Japan and all the fun facts he found fascinating about noodles. He said instant noodle could be served in various taste. In another country, a brand could have more than 15 variants of taste. No kidding, he seriously found that fascinating. Mark had to force himself into finishing his ramyeon, otherwise he had to listen more “fun” facts. He felt less and less intelligent by the time Jinyoung showed off more about his knowledge. A person couldn’t be handsome, cool, and smart. That was like a cheat.

“Hey Mark, wanna ride with me?”

“I’d rather ride you.”

Jinyoung chuckled, everything seemed to please him today. He got up and took Mark by the hand, and led them up the stream. In there, more than fifty bicycle were parked: kid’s bicycle, single and double seated bicycle with different colours.

“Now, do you want me to teach you?”

“I know how to ride a bicycle!” Lucky he had learned how to ride a bike. It would be so much embarrassing if Mark had to be less than Jinyoung in almost everything. 

Jinyoung rented two of the single bicycles but before they left, two girls approached them and asked if they could ask for a riding lesson. There was a slight fear in Mark’s heart that Jinyoung would respond to their flirty attitude. They were practically squealing over the guy’s smile. Their high-pitched laughter was so disturbing that Mark couldn’t even make out of their words. They reminded him of his mother who pretended all nice in front of people, the two-faced snake as he called her. 

“What about you?” one of them asked Mark who obviously was lost in translation.

Now that he was face to face with the girls, Mark could see how someone could be irresistible. They were pretty with face only as big as a guy’s hand, not his but definitely some guy’s hand. Mark knew he couldn’t say no to them if it wasn’t for Jinyoung who intercepted. He told the girls to find help elsewhere because they were in the middle of a date. 

The girls’ eyes widened in shock and they excused themselves, not knowing what to do.

Mark turned to his boyfriend to ask if it was okay to say that to the girls.

“Why? Are you embarrassed of me? Or do you hope to date any of them?”

“I wouldn’t. It’s just … it was charming.”

Jinyoung chuckled and got on his bike, “Race to the bridge, the loser buys dessert.”

“We should start together!” Mark shouted as Jinyoung already left with his bike. Mark pushed harder the pedals, not wanting to lose. The wind brushed off his hair as he tried to catch up to his boyfriend. He didn’t think he’d enjoy riding this much but he did. It seemed like he was care free, a guy who’s enjoying his life. Unconsciously he was smiling, almost gritting his teeth when he almost caught up to Jinyoung before the guy sped up again. This was a Jinyoung thing that Mark used to think about, Jinyoung gave you a chance, a temptation, so you were allured to his direction. Then he’d gone right before you got him. That thought had clouded his mind for almost a month, he was now relief that it’s over and Jinyoung’s officially his.

Right under the bridge, Jinyoung was waiting for him. He was grinning like a child with the blinding river water behind him. His eyes fixated on Mark who’s just got there almost losing his breath, and Jinyoung was ready to . 

“Why are you so fast?”

“What’s with the question? I thought you’ve seen a lot the strength of these thighs,” he slapped his thigh like an old man. “A guy has to have that, Mark. You need more practice.”

“Oh shut up, I’m sick of practicing.”

Jinyoung looked betrayed, “I thought you were genuinely serious about practicing. Don’t tell me, you did all that just to be close to me? Mark, I’m so disappointed.”

“You love it, you jerk. You flirted with me all along.”

“When did I?”

“You smiled at me, you touched me, you rubbed your on my ,” Mark defended himself.

Jinyoung’s face turned a little pink, “Guilty, I’m guilty. But let’s not get distracted, you lost the race. Now buy me canned coffee over there.”

“You’re changing the topic.”

It was fascinating that a vending machine was placed in a place like this, but after looking around it seemed like this place was a common resting area for riders. When Mark looked further, there were even couples sitting by the river. 

He took out coins from his pocket and pushed the button. A clank sound came out as the can hit the container.

“Assa!” Jinyoung took his coffee and took a sip like the brand ambassador on CF, making the other thirsty.

Mark took a sip of his own coffee. It wasn’t that good, just like any other ordinary cheap coffee. No wonder many brands use celebrity service for the promotion. People would still buy the product no matter how the product was.

“So you know I was flirting, huh?”

Mark swallowed his coffee, “I thought you’re avoiding that topic.”

Jinyoung just shrugged, maybe he too was contemplating if he wanted to talk about it or to avoid it. So Mark thought it’s the best to try keeping things as neutral as possible. 

“Not really, I mean. That could just be your way of being friendly.”

“Wow, for an introverted guy, you’re quite open-minded,” he chuckled. 

Of course it wasn’t that Mark was open-minded. At first he didn’t want to get his hope up, it was Jinyoung after all, and he was Mark. 

“You’re underestimating yourself.” Jinyoung threw his coffee can to the trash bin which was almost 3 meter away. It made clink sound as it touched the bottom. “I had to hold back a lot, I was afraid you’d run away if I went all out with you. But then you came to me. Right from the start, it was you who came to me. Remember when you magically appeared in the library right after I jerked off to the thought of you?”

Mark almost dropped his can, suddenly feeling all conscious about himself. “What?!”

Jinyoung grinned, “What? I had been thinking about you since I first saw you staring at me like you would swallow my whole in a flash. You should really see how tempting you are.”

Mark couldn’t take it anymore. His face turned red in embarrassment but he didn’t want Jinyoung to stop. He found out he liked the talk, the way Jinyoung was attracted to him the same way he was. He could hear it in rewind and listen to it the whole night. Somehow it felt like a confession, a strange but lovely confession. Although he didn’t say it was a confession.

Slowly the background noise got louder as the crowd nearby cheered. They looked up and Mark saw the girl who sat next to them in the convenient store before. A guy came to her and apparently confessed his feeling with a large bouquet of roses. Mark remembered the jerk who used her in her story and wondered how in the world she accepted a confession from that kind of guy. Jinyoung said it was possible that he somehow changed because of the girl. But Mark wasn’t buying it. Old habit died hard and she’ll get hurt again.

“But in love, what others say don’t matter, do they? They would need to see it for themselves. Even after they see it, sometimes they refuse to believe the cruel reality. Well, people believe what they want to believe.”

Mark stared at his boyfriend and remembered what he said to Yugyeom a couple of days ago. If he was in the girl’s shoes he wouldn’t care what others thought about his decision either. If he loved him and he'd also want to win him no matter how he might get hurt. He'd believe that the only way for him to be happy was to be with his lover. In his case, it was Jinyoung.

“Hey wanna go again?” Jinyoung stopped his train of thought.

“Sure, why not?” Mark threw the coffee can but not as accurate as Jinyoung so he had to walk to the trash bin and put the can in manually. 

They rode by the river, enjoying the view. Some people were doing water sport like those guys in LA beaches. “You’d look good doing that,” Mark shouted.

Jinyoung smiled, “You too.”

They resume their date and when they got tired of riding, Jinyoung bought him corn dog while he himself bought blood sausage. There was something about Jinyoung that never failed to satisfy Mark. Even the way he ate the sausage was annoyingly flirty. No one twirl their tongue around the sausage like they’re about to give it a . But of course Jinyoung did, so vividly in front of his eyes. The melted cheese escaping his mouth didn’t help at all, Mark forgot to chew food in his own mouth before swallowing it. It got stuck in his throat and made him looked like an angry fish dying to get back to the water. Jinyoung, acting like a filial boyfriend, laughed so hard and recorded everything on his phone.

As the orange shade started to creep up the sky, Mark’s date grew even more thrilling because Jinyoung took him to the cruise. It would be his first time riding a cruise and he’s all excited. They held hand exploring the first deck between the other passengers. Mark wanted to take a picture under the fake cherry blossom tree, so he stood there striking a pose before Jinyoung noticed something on the floor: a flower which fell down it’s branch. He put that on Mark’s earlobe and chuckled to himself. 

“I don’t think it’s allowed,” Mark whispered but his boyfriend just said it was okay.

They took a picture together in front of the love shaped light installation and went ahead to explore another part of the cruise. The light under the night sky was mesmerizing. It didn’t even lose it charm despite a lot of people walking around the area. Jinyoung led them to the side of deck to enjoy the view. The lights decorated the darkness, so beautiful Mark couldn’t make up any words. He’d always liked lights from a candle, a street lamp, a Christmas tree, and city view just made it to the list. Watching the light always calmed him down, warmed his lonely heart. 

“It’s so beautiful.”

“So are you,” Jinyoung said, leaning his body on the railing, his eyes focused on his boyfriend.

“Cliché player pick-up line.” Mark sneered. 

Jinyoung chuckled, not a trace of embarrassment at all. “This reminded me of the first night I took you dorm.”

“How so? Did you take me on a cruise?”

“It’s the light, you silly. At that time the street leading to your building were starting to light and so were your eyes. So I was thinking, ah…this guy is like a moth. He likes something shining so I got to shine so he’d attracted to me.”

“Bull.”

Jinyoung snickered, “Part of it yes. I’ve always been shining. But back then I was really reminded of this place. You know, I’ve been to Han river a lot. I could see from the café I always go to but I’ve never got to get on the cruise. So when I saw you around the lights, I really wanted to take you here.”

“Thank you.”

The night breeze was started to get chilly, but Mark’s face was warm. He didn’t think he’d inspire a thought in Jinyoung’s mind on the first day the knew each other. Of course the guy was good with his words, he’s an infamous player. But it felt good when he heard sweet words such as those. 

“It was like…almost a month ago?”

“Tomorrow is three weeks,” Jinyoung rubbed his nose bridge.

“No way, that short? It feels like more than a month to me.”

“Yeah to me too. I bet you haven’t improved at all.”

“Hey, I don’t practice to be an athlete like you. And for my own reason, I think I’ve nailed my purpose of joining the club.”

“Why? Your purpose was getting a hot boyfriend?” Jinyoung teased. 

“No, you’re like a bonus.”

“Oh? Very appreciative, aren’t we?”

Mark didn’t mean to underestimate Jinyoung, after all the guy was the one who kept him going. He told Jinyoung about his insomnia. He was unsure at first about the basketball practice. It was somehow too tiring. But a certain black-haired guy came to his mind that night and accompanied him until he magically slept well. Aside of looking flattered, Jinyoung asked him how he came not to be able to sleep at night. Mark hesitated to tell him, but if it wasn’t his boyfriend, he wondered who else he would trust this information with. 

“One day, my mother came visited me to the dorm, which was actually nice of her as it was the first time in more than a year. Then she started to talk about her hardship working night and day to pay for my tuition. She asked me to drop my education and go home with her. He didn’t even ask how I was doing.”

Mark paused as he felt Jinyoung’s hand on his back, feeling the talk was about to get heavy. 

“There was this girl, from high school. She was pregnant and her boyfriend left her. So she was looking for a husband. Mother set me up with her, knowing that she’s rich. She was aware that I’m gay so I won’t probably wed myself to anyone and she’d have to live the rest of her life in poverty. As if I couldn’t be someone after I graduated. I haven’t even tried, yet she already gives up on my future. I rejected her favor of course. After all, the girl bullied me at school, spreading flyers I was a who liked to steal someone else’s boyfriend.”

Jinyoung stopped the movement he made with his hand on Mark’s back. “You’re bullied?”

Mark turned to his boyfriend, wondering how that news made him that surprised. But Jinyoung, just like JB, failed to notice that being gay and poor were a valid reason for a young student to be bullied. Anyhow, he told Jinyoung how those thoughts were running in his head at night every time he closed his eyes. His grades fell as it got harder to concentrate and he started to fall asleep in class. So when he could finally sleep and wake up like a normal person after 3 months feeling like a zombie, he thought he was doing the right thing.

His boyfriend stared at him for a while, not able to make up any words. Mark didn’t actually hope a guy like Jinyoung would understand. He might have lived his whole life being popular and all. But then he moved behind Mark almost trapping him with his body, and the smell of grapefruit and blackberry captivated his senses again. 

“You did well, you have me now. And I’ll have you for as long as you would have me too.” He said while gently wrapping his body around Mark’s smaller one.

They went silent, watching the sky full of light. It wasn’t cold at all. Not with Jinyoung’s firm body pressed against his back. His hand was protective, cupping Mark’s arm and rubbing it once in a while. Mark could feel Jinyoung’s movement when he breathed. He liked it so much, being surrounded by Jinyoung’s smell and Jinyoung in general. He felt safe.

Suddenly the sound of the rainbow fountain shifted his attention. It was his first time seeing the colorful light with his own eyes. The sight and the size were vast, Mark kept on looking above at the mesmerizing view, didn’t want to forget the moment. Then Jinyoung moved his head so that he now was practically leaning on the other’s body. 

“You don’t wanna hurt your neck, Mark” he heard Jinyoung said.

As if things couldn’t get any better, Jinyoung’s other hand travelled to his cheek, rubbing it slowly. He still looked above though, but his thumb found his way to the corner of Mark’s lips. The guy shuddered under his touch. And like an addict in front of heroine, Mark wanted to taste Jinyoung’s smooth skin on his lips. He felt his heart beat faster out of anticipation.

And as if having the same thought, Jinyoung looked down and took Mark’s face by the chin. Without saying anything, his lips landed on Mark’s. They were smoother than silk and warmer than ginger tea. Those lips were longing for the friction. They and pushed Mark’s lips in a rhythm only he possessed. Mark completely surrendered to Jinyoung’s domination.  Here, among this many people whose attention was focusing on the majestic fountain, he allowed his boyfriend to touch his face here and there. He liked how firm the other’s hand was on the back of his neck. He liked how it travelled to his chest, opening the first three buttons of his shirt as things got hotter. His skin burned under Jinyoung’s touch but he didn’t want it to stop. Jinyoung’s breath on his skin got heavier as he touched Mark’s perky s, circling his thumb before pinching it. Mark moaned Jinyoung’s name directly to his ear. So lustful he didn’t give a damn about the people around them.

Jinyoung pulled him even closer now that Mark was literally leaning on his body. His other hand swam down Mark’s body and rested on the smaller guy’s crotch. Mark could feel how Jinyoung’s finger moved up and down his half-erected . He gasped when Jinyoung cupped his balls and squished them a little. He slid his hand inside Mark’s jeans and the direct contact to his made Mark out of breath. Jinyoung’s hand went back to open Mark’s zipper and pulled out Mark’s which by now was fully erected.

“Going commando is very rewarding, isn’t it?” Jinyoung whispered to his ear as he rubbed his thumb on the head of Mark’s .

Those fingers were dancing on the hard , feeling the smooth vein under his skin. Mark bit his lip watching how his twitched. He knew Jinyoung was making that curve on the corner of his lips without even needed to look at his face. But Mark couldn’t think about that too much as the other wrapped his warm hand around Mark’s shaft and started moving it up and down.

Mark started to lose himself as that hand moved faster; alternated between the shaft and the head of his . But Jinyoung’s other hand on his chest made his movement limited so all he could do was lowly to his ear. He held onto the railing and felt his boyfriend’s bulge poking his . He looked up to meet Jinyoung’s eyes and satisfied to see the other guy’s eyes were as dark as his. He enjoyed it as much as he did and it turned him on even more.

“Aahh… Jinyoung.”

Jinyoung touched Mark’s precum with his fingertip and slowly traced it around the head of his , spreading the precum across it. He then skillfully the shaft up and down fast. He tightened and loosened the grip as he liked it, making the other whimpered. Mark felt undone when Jinyoung rubbed the head of his again, his body quivered. He searched for Jinyoung’s lips. With Jinyoung’s tongue in his mouth and Jinyoung’s hand on his , Mark came.

“Good boy,” he heard Jinyoung said before the guy kissed him again. “Now we need a bathroom where I can you again.