Chapter 1

Dunk in Love

Mark woke up that morning still feeling hazy. He had decided that joining the basketball team would benefit his health. It had been a month he had trouble sleeping and waking up. He found himself watching cold case files on Youtube when he heard his neighbor started his exercise 5 o’clock in the morning. He could hear each stomp and assuming the guy next door was doing jumping jacks. Those constant stomping sounds oddly sent Mark to slumber. Only after an hour which felt like a minute, Mark heard his alarm rang. It was already the time for him to get ready for his class.

Lazily, he brushed his teeth and changed his clothes. He heard himself cursing to his agenda, a familiar sound every morning as his schedule was full of morning classes this semester. He needed to sleep in the normal hour or his grade would fall even further due to his lack of focus on the lesson. By now, his professors didn’t bother to wake him up anymore. They suggested him to find meaningful activities or see a doctor in order to treat his insomnia if he didn’t wanna retake the subject next year.

Still half asleep, he locked the door of his dorm and walked to the elevator which was already open. He opened his eyes after what it felt like 5 floors down. He felt delirious that he accidentally bumped his shoulder to a rather stronger one on his way out. He heard the man saying sorry, but Mark didn’t even pay attention. His head hurt as if it’s suffering from hangover which he obviously didn’t have. The guy from the elevator followed him, or Mark thought he did. The truth was, they just happened to go the same direction.

Mark’s eyes snapped open as he felt something stung. He fell asleep again in the middle of a class. He turned his head only to find Yugyeom chuckling. The taller guy retrieved the pen he hit Mark’s head with and started to write something on his note. Mark glanced at it when the note was handed to him. He hurriedly wrote how nice it would be if it had been a man who kept him awake all night, but the chance of that man to be Mr. Yang was zero even if he was the only man alive. Yugyeom’s barely controlled laughter attracted attention. Mr. Yang called him forward for not paying attention to the lesson and the poor guy was asked to solve the equation on the board as the punishment.

“But Mr. Yang, Mark was sleeping so I was just waking him up.”

“Glad to know you have well-intention,” the old professor fixed his greasy hair with a small comb hidden inside his jacket. “Now use it to entertain me with your brain awakening instead.”

Yugyeom walked forward half-heartedly as the whole class laughed at him. He’s not known for his brilliant mind. If anything, he barely made it to this calculus class. Mark remember being stuck in the library tutoring him every evening before the test. One of the toughest things he’d ever done. Therefore, he’s not interested in how Yugyeom’s suffering under the stare of Mr. Yang’s and practically everybody else who found it funny. He stared down to the empty basketball field. It had been ages since the last time he did an outdoor activity. The nerve woke him up a little bit.

----------

 

“You kind of deserve that” Mark said as Yugyeom kept on complaining about how Mr. Yang treated him like a stupid person. “Don’t frown, you’re good at something else.”

“I know right, “ he grinned, being proud of himself. “Yet I still don’t have a way with Irene.”

Mark was so focused on being nervous upon the sight of the basketball field that he didn’t listen to Yugyeom’s words anymore. He wouldn’t care about his friend’s helpless love with some girl out of his league. Not that he knows who she was but if the girl was easy, they would’ve been together already.

Yugyeom often asked him to go watch his practice, but Mark had never had any interest in sitting on a bench watching a bunch of guys passing and throwing a ball. He was aware that the Red devil was rather well-known in the local league, but what’s the charm of Dumbledore in the eyes of a muggle?

“I really did you a good deed Mark, you would’ve slept through the whole lesson.”

“For letting everyone knows, yeah I should thank you,” Mark opened the gate leading to the basketball field for both of them.

“Hey I was concerned about your education. If image is what concerns you, I have to say you don’t have to worry. A pretty face like you? No one would care if you don’t do well in your classes. If I had your face, I’d do nothing in my life.”

Mark couldn’t help the glare he’s shooting at his tall friend. “Well I do. That’s why I am here, choosing a cheaper solution to my problem than going to a doctor.”

Yugyeom turned around realizing Mark was not following his step. “Man, even your annoyed face can buy yourself a sugar daddy.”

Mark was about to say something when they heard Yugyeom’s name was shouted.

“Oh, Jinyoung. Hi,” said Yugyeom, waving to a figure behind Mark.

Mark turned around and he saw him, the guy in white basketball jersey called Jinyoung. That face, which more than anything he'd even seen before, captivated him. Those black eyes scanned him, interested. Mark witnessed in slow motion how the corner of Jinyoung’s lips curved into a smirk. Mark didn’t realize he hadn’t made a single blink. He tried so hard to ignore the sting in his eyes. He didn’t care less how long he’d been staring because he liked it when Jinyoung, looked somehow blushed and looked away. This guy was the cutest baby bird he’d ever seen.

“Mark!” Yugyeom tapped him on the head, breaking his focus on Jinyoung’s incredibly handsome face.

“Hi, Mark. I’m Jinyoung.” The said guy raised his hand to shake his. His veins were visible, flowing under the skin of his strong arms.

Mark shyly took it. “Hi Jinyoung. Pleasure to meet you.”

“Trust me, the pleasure is mine,” he gave a very enchanting smile.

“I doubt it, look at him drooling over you,” Yugyeom intercepted.

At that, Mark couldn’t even protest because that was practically what happened. 

“Nice bracelet by the way,” Jinyoung added.

“Thanks, it’s my luck bracelet,” he raised his hand to show the red braided textile. He moved it a little that the silver plate slid down.

“M for Mark, hm? Very pretty,” he said.

Jinyoung was still smiling or that was just how his face usually looked. He was excited to hear Mark’s intention to joining their club, saying they really need a guy like him. Mark couldn’t process how a small guy who had no experience in basketball could be good use to an already established club. Maybe Jinyoung was talking about making him like a manager assistant or a ball boy. He wouldn’t actually mind as he had no intentions of becoming an athlete whatsoever. He just, quoting from one of the professors’ words, tried to do meaningful activity which kept him busy during the day. Gee he’d really do anything as long as he got to see Jinyoung.

They walked to the bench where the members of the team were either waiting for the other members or eating some snacks. Curiously, today’s practice would only include team A. According to Yugyeom, team B did the practice mostly on the weekends. Mark was glad for it meant he wouldn’t have to deal with too many people. It wasn’t because he didn’t like human interaction, but socializing wasn’t his strong suit. There were two guys on the field already playing with the ball. One guy had a happy face while the other with significantly smaller figure looked rather annoyed.

Mark wasn’t surprised that it was Jinyoung who gathered everyone’s attention. He thought he would enjoy basketball more with the dark brown-hair guy being the team captain. He was introduced to the team and he couldn’t help to like how Jinyoung’s charismatic voice mentioned his name. That voice resonated in his ears, so smooth and deep; the kind of voice you’d want to hear before you close your eyes every night.

Some of the members were excited about the addition to their team, others just gave him a nod. Mark had seen some of their faces somewhere but if his introversion only allowed him to remember a quarter of his classmate, what could he expect from a far bigger community?

The guy who was exercising before, rushed forward to shake his hand. Now that Mark saw him up close, he was rather short to be a basketball athlete. But he had a strongly built body. His arm muscles flexed as he took Mark’s hand. “Hey Mark, my name is Jackson. The coolest guy.”

“In his dream” added Jinyoung, making the others laughed at the frowning Jackson.

“Jealousy is not pretty, Jinyoung.”

Before Jinyoung said anything else, their attention was captured by a figure entering the field. Jackson ran to pick up the new guy, face lit up despite the latter’s flat expression. He couldn’t be far older than the rest of them. The guy wasn’t that tall either, but he had that impression of someone in charge.

Mark turned to Yugyeom to ask who that scary looking guy was.

The tall guy answered nonchalantly, “Relax. It’s JB. He’s annoying, but he’s not scary at all. He, unlike the others, just doesn’t find Jackson funny. He’s been friend with Jinyoung for years, that guy’s still alive and well. So you don’t have to worry JB’s gonna eat you. Or do you want him to?”

“Shut up.”

“Oh come on, is he not your type?”

Yugyeom got his feet stomped hard by the small Mark.

“Captain JB is here,” Jinyoung almost sounded like announcing JB’s arrival. “You had such a dramatic entrance. I envy you.”

JB almost flustered to what Jinyoung said, but he was quick to turn his attention to all other members. “So I guess everyone has met the new guy”

Mark was startled and quickly introduced himself to the captain. There was something about the man which made Mark felt like he needed to behave. If at first, he thought Jinyoung had all the charisma to be a captain, he certainly had a second thought now. JB, only by his presence, could easily dominate the whole team.

“As team A has a match with the Blue Mountain, I suggest everyone to practice well today. Start with individual practice, some of you still need a better control of their balls. So beware as I’m going to watch everyone playing with their balls,” At that, some members laughed which JB just casually ignored. “In half an hour, do small team practice. Then we’ll gather along with Coach Argus for the team practice. Understood?”

“YES CAPTAIN!” Mark was sure no one dared not to answer to JB.

“Wow that was so cool” said Jinyoung while clapping his hands.

Of course, Mark took a note of that. Jinyoung’s repeated compliment and JB’s flustered face suggested possibility that the two had something between them. That thought turned his mood a little down. Although who cared if JB would make a perfect match to anyone including Jinyoung. He’s very masculine and looked dependable while the latter was nurturing and reliable. Together, they could even rule a country. Not that Mark cared, he’s not here for the drama. He’s just in for the physical practice, so that’s what he’s gonna do.

When the group dispersed to their individual training, Jinyoung reached out to JB. Mark, while pretending to watch Yugyeom tying his shoes, trying his best to overhear what the captain was saying. But then again, he didn’t have a sensitive hearing.

Seconds later, he felt a hand on his shoulder and Jinyoung was there smiling at him again. “Hey guys, so Mark will be practicing with me today about basic stuff. While you, Yugyeom, is badly needed to be JB’s partner for today.”

Yugyeom frowned, “It’s gonna be a long day.”

“Hey, don’t be like that. I believe this is for your own good.”

Yugyeom went on and on about any possibility he could escape the situation but Mark’s attention was centered on Jinyoung’s hand which still well rested on his shoulder, slowly burning his skin.

“Mark?” apparently Jinyoung had tapped his shoulder several times by now. He still laughed though so Mark wasn’t in trouble, “JB is right. You look as if you’re suffering hangover.”

“I am not, I didn’t even drink last night.”

“Yeah, maybe tonight you will. With me.”

Mark tried his best to process that sentence, but Jinyoung refused to give him the time he needed. Instead, he dragged him a little bit away from the others. A secluded area on one corner of the field near the benches.

“Firstly, are you stretched?”

Mark couldn’t believe his hearing organs.

“Hey, are you okay? Your face turns red.”

Jinyoung looked genuinely concerned, while Mark was busy clearing his mind. There was no way that the guy implying to another kind of stretching. Mark really needed to focus.

“No, I haven’t done any stretching,” he managed to say.

“Alright, let me help stretching you out”

“Jinyoung!” he didn’t mean to raise his voice and he regretted how that made Jinyoung looked. “I think I know how to do stretching,” he said almost quietly.

Jinyoung seemed to do some thinking, but he went back to his smiling face. “Guess we can do it together then.”

With that, Jinyoung place his hands on his waist and started to tilt his head to the left and right. Mark intended to follow what he did, but ended up doing only one tenth of it. The dark brown haired guy did stretching like professionals on Youtube and Mark didn’t need that. He couldn’t bring himself to do more movement despite the other guy’s frequent gaze on him.

When Jinyoung’s finished, he asked Mark to run back and forth that side of the field. That man was a little bit bossy. And Mark, who possessed a body which was not used to exercise, hated what the other made him do. He laid on the floor the second Jinyoung said he’s done enough warming up. He wanted to curse at the word warmer, but he could barely say coherent word. His heart raced faster than it did the first time Jinyoung smiled at him. He closed his eyes, almost couldn’t hear anything as his face was burning from the blood rushing through his veins. He tried so hard to calm his erratic breath but ended up coughing.

Mark felt Jinyoung crouching next to him, but he couldn’t care less. That guy squished his arm and tapped it several time. “Good job, Mark. You did well.”

Couldn’t resist his urge, Mark glared at Jinyoung. But the latter, again, was smiling. Mark couldn’t afford to figure out what it was in him which entertained Jinyoung that much. If suffering was what it took, he’d rather never see him smiled again.

As time went by, Mark’s fondness of Jinyoung went even thinner. The taller kept on making him run and run. Mark didn’t run without context and the way he understood it he wasn’t in the fire drill nor he was chased by an angry goose. He hated being told to run and touch the ground at both ends. It hurt his legs, waist, arms, and head. He felt dizzy as he run zig zag. His nose forgot its use to breath so his mouth had been taking over its job. Mark didn’t like to breathe through his mouth; it dried his throat. His legs gave up the second JB blew the whistle signaling the team practice was about to start.

Jinyoung helped Mark up and helped him to sit on the bench under the tree. Mark couldn’t feel his legs and he could barely see the other guy towering next to him. That man was a Nazy hiding in a face of … of… Mark couldn’t even remember if there’s anyone more handsome than Jinyoung. But that face, no matter how proud he seemed to look, didn’t deserve his appreciation for now. Not even when he rubbed the towel on Mark’s forehead, nor when he fanned his body with that towel later on.

When Mark opened his eyes again, Jinyoung wasn’t there. His spot was taken by a bottle of water which was wet as the ice covering it had slowly melted. He sat up searching for Jinyoung’s almost familiar figure and found him on the field, leading his team against Jackson’s team under the supervision of a bald guy whom he believed to be coach Argus. He heard from Yugyeom that the coach had been with the team for years and was very fond of JB. He always included the captain for decisions regarding the team. For a second, Mark thought if he’d make it to the team, but he was being thick faced. The team was chosen from the most valuable members of the club. If he could barely run for 10 minutes, what value did he have for the team?

Mark took a sip of the water and just realized how thirsty he was. He finished half of the bottle in a flash. With cold water running down his system, Mark was able to see how shining Jinyoung was again. How could a normal person have a face maintained to look like a prince with hair half wet by his sweat while continuously running and shouting. That guy didn’t look at him, so caught up by the game he was playing. He seemed to enjoy it as much as Mark enjoyed to watch him like that. He laughed as Jinyoung laughed hard when Jackson’s face was accidentally hit by the ball. He called this session satisfactory and that night, he had the deepest sleep he’d ever had.