One, Two, Skip a Few...

(Just) Flatmates (?)

“Have some tea.” You tentatively placed the gigantic cat mug in front of Soojin. Since you’d entered the apartment, thanks to Baekhyun slipping you the code, she hadn’t moved from her spot on the couch, wrapped in a fleece blanket. She didn’t react to the tea, so you decided to just sit next to her for a while. You were usually comfortable with silence, but Soojin never was. Her silence made the anxiety grow.

“You don’t have to tell me what happened, but…” But what? How do you comfort someone if you don’t know what’s even wrong? “But I’m here. No matter what. I’ll always be your friend.”

“No matter what?” Soojin’s voice was fragile. She sniffled, finally moving only to look at you. The poor woman looked as if she hadn’t slept in days. You’d seen her just a few days ago, and she’d looked so happy. What could possibly have happened?

“No matter what. I promise. I’m always here. Just tell me what you need me to do and I’ll do it.” You tried to assure her. Soojin didn’t look entirely convinced, but at long last picked up her tea. She brought it to her face, but just rested the mug on her knees instead of drinking. It had to be painfully hot. You reached to take it from her, but she batted your hand away.

“I broke up with Baekhyun. I broke up with my boyfriend of five years… And you know why?” Her voice cracked, sounding more and more like her vocal chords had been battered by a baseball bat. “Because I… I feel so ing stupid… He… He just made me so mad…”

She stopped again and dropped her head against her knees, sobbing. You only barely managed to grab the mug and set it on the table, though not before accidentally burning your hand with the hot water. It seared, but you didn’t dare leave Soojin alone, so you it up and tried to comfort yourself by pressing the skin to your shirt to dry the skin and cool it as much as you could.

“What happened, Soojin?” You asked, trying to distract yourself from the pain. Soojin looked up from her knees and took a breath between her sobs.

“I thought… I thought I was pregnant… I was… It was so scary, and awful, and… I was terrified, but Baekhyun… He was so sweet. Like it wasn’t a problem. He convinced me that we’d be okay somehow, and we’d be alright together…” She bit her lip, and you wondered if she realized she was. Normally, Soojin had a very low tolerance for pain. “And then when it turned out I wasn’t… He was so relieved suddenly. I mean, I was relieved, but… Really?! If you find out your girlfriend isn’t pregnant, is the first thing you say to her ‘well you should get an implant’?! What kind of …-!!”

Oh god… That really wasn’t the smartest thing to do, Baekhyun. He wasn’t wrong, of course. Given what they were doing in life, Soojin was still in university and Baekhyun had barely started his first real job, they weren’t ready to be parents. They didn’t even have a place together. However, telling your girlfriend, who just came to terms with the fact that she was pregnant, that she’d better get an implant? What was he thinking? He probably wasn’t thinking.

“He’s… That was rude of him.” You said dryly. This really wasn’t your best quality. With all your heart, you wanted to comfort Soojin and make her feel better, but you had absolutely no idea what to say or do. “I’m sure he didn’t mean to sound that way.”

“Really, Hana?!” She cried. “You’re sure he didn’t mean to?! Well why didn’t I think of that?! You’re so good at relationships, why don’t you tell me exactly how to have one?!”

Ouch. She didn’t mean it, you knew that. She was lashing out because she was emotionally vulnerable. And it wasn’t like you were uncomfortable with your lack of romantic prowess. It wasn’t all that important. Or rather, it hadn’t been important until Minseok barged into your life and…- Back into the box!! You cleared your throat.

“Did you eat dinner? Did you shower today?” You asked, trying to go methodically through the list of things people should do in a day. “I know it doesn’t seem important, but you need to take care of yourself right now. Why don’t you take a shower while I cook dinner? We can make a list of Baekhyun’s pros and cons, once you’re clean and fed.”

“A list of… Honestly Hana if you weren’t my friend…” Soojin sniffled, but finally managed to crack a smile. “You’re so weird. I’ll take a shower. Thanks for coming over. Can you spend the night?”

“Of course. Now go shower, you’re gross!” And you were finally going to cool your burnt hand.

 

Spending the night turned into spending the next day as well. Soojin calmed down, and though she still wasn’t quite sure what to do with the situation, you made a list of the pros and cons. Soojin argued with you all throughout the making of it, arguing any pro you listed as a con and any con you listed as a pro. It was clear that she absolutely didn’t want to break up with him, but she’d already yelled at him and kicked him out, and going back on her words was somehow even scarier than the thought of losing him. You hoped desperately that Minseok was having a better time than you were. Soojin, apparently, read your mind.

“So…” Soojin asked as you ladled stew into a bowl for her to eat. You recognized the tone and raised an eyebrow at her. Don’t even go there, Soojin. Soojin ignored your non-verbal warning and carried on.

“So… Minseok.” She said, dipping her spoon into the stew, and her nose in your business.

“What about him?” You asked as you filled up your own bowl. You wanted to sit down and eat, but felt compelled to put away the pot you cooked the stew in, first.

“Are you two actually together?” She prodded her food. You wiped the stovetop quickly before putting the pot back on it, taking the lid and placing it in the sink to let the rest of the stew cool down. There was enough for Soojin to eat for another two days.

“Do we have to do this right now?” You asked, washing your hands quickly before taking your seat across from her. Your hand still hurt. Soojin made a face.

“Hey! I’m sad! Let me distract myself.” Soojin pouted. You rolled your eyes but shrugged as you blew on the stew. “I mean… I know I’m not one to speak, but don’t you think it’s a bad idea to date someone you’re living with? It doesn’t seem like you at all. You’re always thinking stuff out so thoroughly.”

“Soojin…” You sighed. You’d wanted to talk about it all with Soojin, but talking about a near… Whatever that had been, when Soojin just had a pregnancy scare that dented her relationship? That seemed like poor timing at the very best. “Minseok is a wonderful, kind, caring…-”

“You know what? I’ll set you up with a guy. Like a blind date! It’ll be fun, and you can realize just how nice it is to date someone… Without OCD. And maybe it’ll help with yours. Also, he’s totally cute I promise!” Soojin’s voice already dropped into kicked puppy territory. “Can I at least show you a picture? You’ll think he’s cute too I swear! And he’s into biology!”

“Soojin I’m fine.” You had to stand your ground. What did she have against Minseok, anyway? What did all of them have against Minseok?! He was great, and…- You interrupted yourself to stuff the feelings back into the dark cave where they belonged.

“Will you talk to him if I invite him to Jongdae’s next party?” Soojin pestered. You desperately wanted to tell her that you’d consider it if she called Baekhyun and talked stuff out with him, but you didn’t want to bring it up. Also, you didn’t want to consider a blind date. There was enough on your to do list in life.  

“Eat your stew, Soojin.”

 

It felt as if you hadn’t seen him for weeks when Minseok unexpectedly knocked on Soojin’s door the next day after you, yet again, ended up spending the night at her place. Not even because you felt guilty, Soojin’s apartment just seemed to have some sort of gravitational pull where you ended up staying much longer than you intended to every single time you visited. Maybe that’s why you hadn’t been hanging out as much with Soojin.

“Hey.” He only had to say ‘hey’, and you felt the immature urge to squeal. You didn’t have to question what was the matter with you, the quickened beating of your heart was an overly obvious sign and ignoring it hadn’t gotten you anywhere.

“Hey.” I missed you. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been… I brought your laptop, figured you’d want to do some studying…” Minseok shrugged, holding your laptop bag out at you. “It’s been… Dear god please come home!! Baekhyun has ruined our bathroom and he leaves laundry and dishes everywhere! Dirty dishes!! And food wrappers and trash and…- Please! I promise I appreciated you, but I realize how lucky I am even more now!! Everyone else is awful, I hate people, please come home I miss you so much!”

He sounded very much as if he was about to start crying. He patted his chest and took a few deep breaths, grabbing hold of the doorframe as he tried to stop himself from hyperventilating. The poor guy… Baekhyun sounded awful. And somehow, his desperate complaints were also a little heart-warming. Why were his nervous breakdowns so cute?!

“I’m sorry Minseok… That sounds really bad.” You offered clumsily, reaching out to pat his shoulder but changing your mind. Minseok sighed and turned his attention back to you. You physically felt him making eye-contact. “Is Baekhyun… Also miserable? I’m pretty sure Soojin really wants him back but she’s just too stubborn to admit it. Maybe if we get them back together… Please tell me Baekhyun didn’t touch my shampoo.”

“He touched everything.” Minseok shuddered. “I’m all for re-setting them up. I’ll ask Jongdae for help throwing a party. We can both drag them over there, lock them in a room together and run away. And then they can just sort it out like adults and we can sanitize our house and I’m never, ever, ever letting Baekhyun near our apartment again!”

Yes, Baekhyun was definitely permanently banned. He might not know it, but it had taken you years to find the perfect skin and hair-care products. They were expensive, and really hard to find, and most importantly they were yours and… Minseok was the perfect man. He always respected your belongings, and your space, and… Everything.

“You’re great, you know? You might have appreciated me but… I feel the same way. Meeting you… It’s as if someone finally gets me for the first time. And doesn’t think I’m crazy for liking my stuff the way I like it.” You smiled, not accidentally touching Minseok’s hand as you took your laptop bag from him. “You’re perfect, and I couldn’t have met anyone better that day.”

“Stop! My heart can only take so much!” He laughed, then pulled out his phone. “I kept forgetting… I don’t actually have your number. Never needed it because I always knew where you were. But… Can I have yours? I feel like… It’s something I really should have.”

What a dork. My dork.