D-Last Chapter

Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The two of them go way back in Middle School. They met on the first day of school and well, both of them being new to the place and English speakers, they bonded immediately.

 

Amber’s family was from Los Angeles and moved to Jeju Province that year because their patriarch (a businessman) wanted a new atmosphere for his children and also for them to get to know their roots. She has three other siblings. The twins, Donghae (34) and Jackie (34), followed by Jonghyun (32). Amber (30) is the youngest of the four. Their father was a young Taiwanese immigrant when he met their mother, a Korean exchange student taking her Masteral Studies at Stanford University.

 

At first, their Mother’s family cannot accept their Father because she was arranged to marry someone else back in Korea. It took them 5 years to get the blessing and get married. Mister Liu showed them that he can give his family and wife a good life, that is why he worked so hard to reach his goals and prove his worth especially to his Father-in-law.

 

From a small Dimsum restaurant in Chinatown, he was able to make it big and be known not just in California but also in major American cities. They now have 15 major branches - 5 in California, 2 in New York, 1 in Las Vegas, 2 in Chicago, 1 each in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio, 1 in Arizona, and 1 in Seattle.

 

Donghae is now a Mathematics Professor like their Mother (still single but always ready to mingle), Jacqueline or more known as Jackie (single for life, she says), an Airline Pilot for United Airlines. Jonghyun is their Father’s right-hand man in the business (they call him the Heir of the Dimsum Emperor), while Amber is a Radio Producer in one of Seoul’s famous FM Radio Station. She finished a Degree in Mass Communication at Chung-An University, did her internship at KBS. They grew up in normal surroundings, their parents always making sure they take the right path. The four of them are very close, the twins taking care of their dongsaengs so well.

 

 

Soojung and her siblings moved to Jeju Province from San Francisco just a week after the Liu’s arrived in the province. Her parents got divorced when she was 5, their Dad going back to Korea after it was finalized. But he didn’t forget about Soojung and her siblings, visiting them twice a month and sending monetary support for their needs. When their Mom died from a vehicular accident, their Father took them back to Korea to live a new life.  

 

Like Amber, she also has three other siblings. The eldest Yunho (34), next is Jessica (32), then Jaehyun (26) who is the youngest (and already a single Father by the age of 18). Their father was a famous trot singer back in the days (and now a Music Producer) when he met their mother, a Miss Korea pageant winner who represented the country in the Miss Universe pageant. They were married secretly in the United States in fear that it will affect her Father’s career if done in their home country. All four of them were born in San Francisco, then when Soojung was at age 5 and Jaehyun still a year old, their parents decided to file for Divorce.

 

Their Father took another wife a year after the Divorce but never had kids. While their Mother never re-married but was in various relationships throughout the years before she died in a car accident with her boyfriend #4.

 

The new Mrs. Jung, a famous character actress, was against the idea of taking the siblings back in Korea. But their Father, wanting to spend more time with his children whom he didn’t see grow up, was very decided. Back then, the four of them were taken to their Father’s mansion in Seoul. The Step-Mother at first showed her good side when Mr. Jung is present but when he was not around she does not even talk to the siblings and keeps to herself.

 

Jessica, being a feisty teenager, told their Father about her. He loves his children and wants them around him but he also loves his wife even though she has an attitude. In the end, it was decided that the siblings will live in his 3 bedroom house in Jeju while the wife will stay in Seoul. Mister Jung visits them weekly to spend time and check on their well being.

 

Yunho is now a Professional Golfer and touring with the PGA, Jessica a former Flight Stewardess (even though her height is….LOL) and now a famous Youtube Vlogger, the youngest, Jaehyun is a Professional League of Legends player. He and his daughter Sun Hye (8) also lives in the same building where Soojung’s apartment is located. Soojung followed the footsteps of their Father and became a Music Producer after finishing her Degree in Applied Music at Chung-An University (of course where else!? She doesn’t want to be away from her best friend). She took a 12-week Music course at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts.  

 

 

Those 12 weeks that Soojung was away, Amber was restless. It was the first time the girl was away from her that long. She was constantly checking if Soojung was okay if she was eating alright and enjoying her summer course. Deep inside she was worried. Very worried that Soojung will meet someone and forgets her in a snap.

 

Little does she know that Soojung was also feeling the same way. Almost having a breakdown after a month because of how much she misses Amber. She survived the loneliness through the everyday video calls and messages of support from her best friend. Reminding her to eat on time, rest when tired and sleep without worry about her family because Amber made sure they were fine especially her only niece.

 

Both didn’t get into relationships at that time, which was noticed by the ever-attentive Jessica. The eldest Jung noticed something special on how the two acted. As if they were Long Distance lovers who need to be assured that everything is fine.

 

Jessica confirmed her theory about Amber and Soojung the day her little sister came back from Boston. Amber accompanied Jessica to the airport to pick up Soojung, all nervous and excited. She looked like she didn’t sleep at all because of the eyebags but still looking so good and smelling nice. What made Jessica raise her brows in amusement was the bouquet of flowers at the back seat.  

 

For Jessica, there was definitely something going on, it's either those two agreed to act normal or those two are two idiots too afraid to lose each other along the way.  

 

 

 

 

Words with Yellow background = Radio

 

 

 

It was already past 10:00 in the evening, both full and lounging on the couch listening to the FM radio and singing to old school music. Every year, the radio station where Amber works will have their yearly Valentine’s Day special show where listeners can call and request their favorite song at the same time share their love stories. The DJ, Amber’s college friend named Key, is the one in charge of the show.

 

“Valentine’s Day will not be complete without listening to this song… Love… it makes us see the truth, but it also makes us crazy!”

 

 

Amber chuckled upon hearing her best pal Key on the radio. She was playing with Soojung’s hair, whose head is resting on her lap quietly. “Oh, God… I can imagine Key right now, gagging because of all the cheesiness he has to say tonight…”

 

“Well… good luck to him… he still has 2 hours left till 12 midnight. I hope he lives…” Soojung eyed Amber and the two of them made funny faces to each other. “I’ll give you 50,000 Won, guess the title of the song he will play… by listening to the first 10 seconds.” the mischievousness in Soojung’s voice made Amber smile, humming in agreement with the girl on her lap.

 

“Hmmm… if I guess it wrong?”

 

“Of course you give me double of the amount~~”

 

“That’s unfair!”

 

“Teeheehee~!”

 

“I don’t have money…”

 

“Come on let’s playyyyy~~”

 

“Silly, you have my bank books and my Insurance Policies. Aren’t those enough?!”

 

“Bruh, you’re still alive. What am I gonna do with those things if you’re still here breathing?”

 

“Bruh… if I die a sudden death, they will know who to arrest. You are 2 Billion Won richer if I die.”

 

“Stupid. I’ll throw you at Han River.”

 

 

“Let’s listen to this duo from the early 2000s… the song that made us believe that fate does exist… have you ever love someone even though you haven’t met them?… Well, the answer is in this song. Enjoy!”

 

[I Knew I Love You by Savage Garden starts playing]

 

“Title AMBER!!!”

 

“Wait! Wait!”

 

“Come on!”

 

“Soojung, I don’t have a psychic ability.”

 

“Geez… it’s so easy! Savage Garden bruh… come on…

 

 

“Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question…”

 

 

“Damn it! I know that song! Wait… wait…” Amber thought so hard, singing the song inside her head. She definitely knows the title, its already at the tip of her tongue!

 

The girl on her lap giggled, staring at her with lips sealed. Soojung has always found it fascinating to watch Amber fall into her thinking stage. The way her eyelashes flutter, her lips purse, the way her nose crinkles when she thinks so deep, the way her face lights up when she finally discovers the answer to the question given.

 

When did it even start? Soojung asked herself.

 

Was it the day we met back in Middle School? Hmmm… I guess it is. I guess the ‘crush’ started that day…

 

When did I realize that I was in love with my best friend?  

 

Hmmm…

 

Was it that day, that morning in our Sophomore year of High School when I opened the front door of our house and saw her standing there? Smiling at me like it was Spring, nose red, cheeks flushed and happily holding a Thermos of Kimchi soup that her Mom made just for me… telling me I still look pretty but pale… When in truth it was Winter and the snow was falling hard outside and I was sick with Flu. I feel horrible and I haven’t combed my hair, I haven’t changed my pajamas and I was alone in our house because my siblings were stuck in Gimpo Airport because their flight was delayed. How she hugged me so tight and brought me inside my room whispering into my ear that everything will be alright…

 

 

She reaches for the stray hair that covers Amber’s forehead brushing up the strands with her fingers. Amber smiled at her then crinkled her nose cutely. “I Knew I Love You.”

 

Taking you so long to say it, you idiot.

 

Soojung’s lips formed a smile then made a thumbs down sign to Amber teasing the poor girl. “You still lost, LOSER.”

 

“What!? I guessed it!”

 

“I said 10 seconds into the song! The Chorus was already a takeaway! Pay up~…”

 

“Woman…” Amber took Soojung’s laughing face jokingly then squeezes the latter’s cheeks with a laugh. “You are the reason why I am going to be bankrupt before I die.”

 

“Stupid Llama…” Soojung copied Amber and also held the latter’s face and started squeezing it too with a laugh. “At least it's ME, not other people!” The two of them were a playful sight, like two kids annoying each other all the time.  

 

  

 

“There's just no rhyme or reason
Only the sense of completion
And in your eyes, I see
The missing pieces I'm searching for
I think I've found my way home
I know that it might sound
More than a little crazy
But I believe…”

 

 

“Fine, fine. Okay, next song I’m going to guess it right!”

 

“Haha! Let’s see~…”

 

“That was Savage Garden with their hit song ‘I Knew I Love You’, coming from their first album “Affirmation” that was released back in 1999. Before we continue with our next song, we have a caller!”

 

 

Amber took a glance at Soojung, who was also looking at her, then let out a grin. “Okay, storytime! Let’s listen first!”

 

“You know…” the brunette held a thinking pose, still lying on Amber’s lap then snapped her fingers. “You should call and share your parents’ love story!”

 

“Oh God no. No way.”

 

“Why?! It's such a sweet story… Auntie always tells it to me… your Mom really loves your Dad…”

 

A small smile crossed Amber’s face when Soojung said those words. Yep, her parents are still so in love with each other all these years.

 

And Amber envies them so much. They aren’t just a couple, they are also best of friends, partners.

 

She poked Soojung’s nose with her index finger and smiled, grinning. “Yeah… she loves him so much.”

 

And I love you too… to the moon and back.

 

Soojung replied with a nod and took Amber’s right hand placing it under her head as a pillow. The latter only chuckled and continued listening to the story being narrated on the radio.

 

DJ Key: “So our caller, Hello?”

Anonymous caller: “Hi? Oh Hello~ Hi DJ Key!”

DJ Key: “Does our caller have a name? Your voice sounds like a Chipmunk. Hahaahaha!”

Anonymous caller: “Ahahaha you are so funny~. By the way, just call me Pretty Girl and I’m here to tell a story…”

DJ Key: “Okayyyy Pretty Girl you have 5 minutes to tell your story!”

Anonymous caller: “Okay, let me start by saying that it is my sister’s story and not mine. So yeah, Ummm… my sister has a best friend and they’ve been friends almost half of their lives--”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter