Part 4

Last Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy was still recovering from a near-alcohol poisoning and Irene felt her heart clench at the evidence of the previous night’s ordeal; used syringes in the waste bin, empty bottles of liquor, stained clothing. Any explanations they had wanted to make to each other could come later.

Now as they were lying idly on the bed, Irene began to Wendy’s hair. She had seen in numerous news updates that the singer had chopped off her beautiful long locks and was now donning a blonde prince-like hairdo.

“Your hair is so…”

“Dishevelled?” Wendy completed the sentence for Irene with a sheepish smile.

“Handsome,” Irene corrected, “ruggedly handsome.”

The smile on Wendy’s face grew and her face coloured as she messed up her own hair. “People are speculating if I am going through a phase, with my decline participation in stages and all so I guess… rugged is a pretty appropriate term.”

Even though Wendy tried to make her suffering sound like a joke, Irene could not help but feel hurt for her. Cupping Wendy’s face, Irene placed a soft kiss on the singer’s nose.

“Rugged is an understatement. You are devilishly handsome,” Irene said as she threaded her fingers through Wendy’s hair. “I love you Wendy Son Seungwan. Don’t you ever do anything to harm yourself, I won’t forgive you if you do.”

Wendy shut her eyes lightly and nodded like an obedient child and in her face, Irene saw her weariness. It made her heart throb even more and returned Irene back to her own question of why they have been torturing each other. They were both so willing to throw away anything and everything for each other, so why have they waited for so long.

“Irene, what about your family?”

The much-dreaded question brought Irene back to reality, reminding her of the burdens she has to shoulder. She should talk, they should talk but the pale shade on Wendy’s face made it difficult for an honest discussion to take place. What should she say? That she was supposed to fulfil her duties as an heiress, as a good granddaughter, especially when her grandfather has doted so much on her? She could not bring herself to do it.

“I… let’s not talk about them today please… can we just focus on getting you rested first before we do anything else?”

“Irene, I am fine, really…” Wendy tried to push herself up but she slipped when her arm got tangled up in the sheets.

Irene chuckled. “Fine indeed. Then rest with me. It has been such a rushed flight, I want to take a nap.”

Wendy laid back down and slept on her side, as she directed a look of pure adoration at Irene.

“I missed you so much,” Wendy said as she caressed Irene’s cheeks.

Irene closed her eyes contently at the soothing touch and before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

 

Wendy too, had fallen soundly asleep along with Irene. A most comfortable sleep in ages and when she awoke in the evening, she was greeted by the most beautiful sight she has been missing for a while. She reached her hand out to touch Irene’s face but paused midway as she decided not to rouse the CEO from her much-needed rest.

Like Wendy, Irene too had acquired a look of weariness. Wendy sighed as she got up, her stomach was grumbling, a reminder that she has not eaten anything for the entire day. Irene must not have eaten too and Wendy immediately knew what to do.

Kimchi pancakes and spicy rice cakes were Irene’s favourites, alongside a cup of fresh orange juice.  

Relieved to find that her refrigerator was still well-stocked up with the help of her manager, she looked for the ingredients she required. Wendy loved to cook, especially during her free time and because Irene really appreciated the food she made but it has been a really long time since she had made something. She had to admit that she lost a bit of a touch.

The door to her bedroom opened and Wendy focused on the pancake that she was frying as well as the pot of rice cake she was boiling until she heard Irene clearing . Wendy took her own time to give attention to the heiress who had demanded it and was instantly hit by a sense of déjà vu.

Her heart thrummed as she beheld the CEO’s gaze. The very pair of eyes that looked only at her was now staring back, slightly wearier, a little more worn, as if it had endured much frustration and disappointment, nonetheless there was still the presence of the adoration so familiar to her.

Irene had changed out of her own outfit and was instead wearing Wendy’s loose-fitting, white cotton blouse that barely grazed past her thighs.  

The gaze that passed between them was electrifying and Wendy had to veer her eyes away.

“W-Why are you wearing my…”

Irene tutted. “I can’t? While Joy can?”

Wendy knew this was about a woman’s jealousy and was about to explain when the pancake began sizzling in the pan.

“What are you making?” Irene sniffed in the air and her eyes brightened in an instant, as if she had forgotten about the jealous moment earlier. She strode over quickly even before Wendy could reply and lifted the pot lid.

“Spicy rice cake!” Then she looked expectantly at the pancake frying in the pan and her expression became even brighter. “Kimchi fried pancake?”

Wendy had to smile, it has been so long since they were like this.

“Just wait for a while more, they will be done soon.” Wendy said merrily and beckoned the heiress to waiting at the dining table.

However, Joohyun did not heed her words and instead put on an apron herself.

With ease, she to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter