four

on your wedding day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“He did what?!” 

The entire cast of Running Man is gathered around a large table in the most private room you could all obtain. Of course, everyone is here to understand what’s going on with Ji Hyo’s marriage that... never came to be. 

Kwang Soo looks like he’s going to be sick. “And he wanted you to...” he points weakly at you. “Wha–“ he exhales angrily–“what kind of sick...” 

“I’m going to kill him,” So Min has her fist clenched. You’re not used to seeing this side of the usually bubbly, cheerful woman. But you can’t say you’re surprised. Everyone at this table looks a mix of anger and disgust. So Min being a woman... she must feel the pain of all this even harder. “I’m going to kill that bastard. How could he threaten you like that?” 

She looks at Ji Hyo with hurt, worried eyes. Ji Hyo hugs her and pats her gently on the back. “It’s okay, So Min-ah. Unnie’s fine. He’s not going to be able to do that.” 

“Still, you should probably...” Suk Jin looks solemn. “Don’t be alone. Always have someone with you, your manager or something, understand?” 

Ji Hyo nods. “I understand. But that’s not what I’m worried about. The reason why I told you all something so upsetting is because of what happened after.”

“What happened after?” 

“Jong Kook Oppa punched him.” 

“You what?” 

Dong Hoon pats you on the back. “Good. It’s what I would’ve wanted to do too. But your punch is stronger than mine, so it’s even better.”

“Jong Kook Hyung punched him? Really?” Se Chan asks. “Did he die?” 

Ji Hyo bursts out laughing and so do the others. You smile. This is why you like Se Chan so much. He has a way of being respectful while still lightening the mood. 

“He didn’t die,” you say. “He... might have been bleeding though.” 

“That’s why I’m worried,” Ji Hyo says. “I’ve been discussing this with my legal team. I heard he could sue Jong Kook Oppa for assault.” 

“What? That’s crazy,” says Kwang Soo, slightly enraged. “That crazy jerk says and does all the worst things, and Hyung’s the one who could get in trouble?” 

“Well, we just won’t let that happen, won’t we?” Dong Hoon says. “We‘ll stop him somehow.” 

“What if we killed him?” So Min suggests, still angry. A part of you agrees with her. “What if we killed him so hard he died?” 

“There’s no need to do that,” Ji Hyo says soothingly, trying to comfort So Min some more. She smiles, looking amused by So Min’s words, but also worried about the effect this is having on her. “I just want him to leave us alone. But I’m being told he’s really angry. He wants to destroy our reputations. I don’t care what he says about me on the press or on TV, but I can’t have him suing Jong Kook Oppa and dragging his name through the mud.” 

“We just won’t let him get near the media or press then,” Jae Suk says, having pondered over this carefully all this while. “I’ll make some phone calls. He won’t get near a proper network.” 

“You don’t have to do that,” Ji Hyo says. “I don’t care about what happens to me. But Jong Kook Oppa–“ 

“You may not care what happens to you,” you say, tired of her lack of thought for her own well-being. “But the rest of us care.” 

Everyone nods, making their own comments about how they care about Ji Hyo. 

“Thank you, but it really doesn’t matter. We should be focusing on–“ 

“Of course it matters, you idiot,” you say. “Think about it. If your reputation is damaged, how will that affect the rest of us? The show?” 

“Oppa,” So Min says, about to stop you, but you shake your head. Kwang Soo whispers something into her ear, and then she understands. 

It’s the only way she’ll listen. 

Ji Hyo presses her lips together. “You’re right. I’ll take steps to make sure there’s... minimal damage to my image.” 

“That’s good,” says Jae Suk. “And you won’t have to do it alone. We want to help you. And Jong Kook too, we’ll try our best to sort this out. Maybe an out-of-court settlement or something.”

“Maybe you could sue him too,” Suk Jin suggests. “For like, what was it, harassment? Everything he did seems like it qualifies for that. That could get him to back off, or at least get people to see him in a bad light.” 

“In the meantime,” says Dong Hoon. “Don’t take his calls. Don’t agree to meet him no matter what he says, or at least be with someone reliable, like Jong Kook Hyung.” 

“That won’t be hard,” Ji Hyo says. “I’m with him most days.” 

Everyone exchanges looks. “Look, we weren’t sure whether to ask this, and whether it’s appropriate at all given today’s discussion, but what exactly is going on between the two of you?” 

You open your mouth to speak, but Ji Hyo beats you to it. 

“Nothing is going on between us,” she says, and you can’t help but feel that is an equally true and untrue statement. “I’m staying with Jong Kook Oppa because going back to my parents’ home is too much right now.” 

“Have you told them what happened?” 

“I... am going to tell them.” 

 

 

She comes home in tears. 

“Ji Hyo?” You drop whatever it is you were doing, and walk quickly towards her, pulling her into a hug. She cries into your chest for a while, gradually letting her tears die out. “What happened?” You ask after letting go.

She smiles, her eyes still swollen. “Congratulations,” she says. “I really will be staying here for a long time after all.” 

“You can stay as long as you want,” you assure her. “What...” 

“My mother is... disappointed in me, to say the least. She said a lot of things I would rather not repeat,” Ji Hyo brings her fist to her lips, clearing . “My dongsaengs say they’ll try to calm her down, but...” she gives a fake laugh. “It’s whatever. It’s all my fault I guess.” 

“No it’s not,” you tell her. “If anything it’s my fault or that bastard’s fault, but it’s also no one’s fault you changed your mind. You have that right. You always have that right. Besides, it’s not like you had a kid with the man and decided to run off.”

“Right?” Ji Hyo agrees indignantly. “I decided to leave before making all those wrong choices! Why can’t she see that?” 

“Do you want me to talk to her?” You ask. “Did you tell her about everything with... me?” 

She shakes her head. “I didn’t.” 

“Maybe you should have,” you say. “Maybe she’ll see things differently if she knows. I could try to convince her. I have a way with women, you know,” you say, almost as a joke. 

Instead of... any other reaction, she looks at you suspiciously. “What are you going to do to my Umma?” 

“What?” You say, flustered. “N-nothing! I was just going to convince her or something. Charm her into changing her mind.” 

She looks at you even more suspiciously now. “By doing what? Are you... going to seduce her?”

“What?! What’s wrong with you?” You huff in disbelief. 

“What are you going to do? Show her your abs? Flex your biceps?” 

You smirk at her, because she’s so cute. And funny too. “Do you think that would help?” 

She gives you a once over. “Nope. I don’t think it would work at all.” 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” 

She folds her arms. “My Umma isn’t that big over muscles anyway. So don’t bother. Understand?” 

“Wow, she’s very different from her daughter, then.” 

She narrows her eyes at you. “What are you trying to say?” 

You shrug, nonchalant. “Nothing, really. Just that muscles don’t work on your mother, but you are a different story.” 

She scoffs. “No! I am exactly like my mother in that respect. No interest in muscles, and they have no effect on me either.” 

“Song Ji Hyo, I had no idea you were such a blatant liar.” 

“Never,” she insists. “I’m only telling the truth right now.” 

“So you don’t like muscles? They don’t have any effect on you?” 

She shakes her head, and the look on her face is almost a challenge. “Not even a little.” 

You whip off your shirt. Challenge accepted. “How about now?” 

“I feel nothing,” she says, but she’s biting down on her lip. You love to see it. 

You move close to her, wrapping your arms around her back, pressing your front against her. “Still nothing?” 

“I can... physically feel your body. But,” you hear her swallow. “Other than that...” 

“Other than that?” 

“You know,” she clears . “You don’t have to hold me like this.” 

“Why? Are you bothered by it?” 

She pushes you away and you let go, grinning. She scowls at you. “The only reason why I’m bothered is because you were hugging me too tight.” 

“I’m sorry about that then,” you say. “But you still stand by your claim that me without my shirt on doesn’t bother you at all?” 

She scoffs. “You wish. Why are you so hell bent on proving that I’m affected by your muscles? Just because everyone else is doesn’t mean I’m no exception. Having abs doesn’t mean everything, you know! You should watch your ego.” 

You can only laugh at this. “Yah, if anything, I’m just operating based on what I know. Don’t you remember a certain someone demanding I take my shirt off to ease her anger recently?” 

She gulps. “Oh. That.”

“See? I wouldn’t have said a thing if you didn’t suddenly change your stance. You told me you liked my body, remember?” 

She crosses her arms. “That was weeks ago! People can change their minds. Now that I’m looking again, you aren’t much to write home about. You don’t do anything for me more than the average guy in the street.” 

You nod, almost sarcastically. “I see. Well, since you’re so unaffected by my muscles, I’ll start leaving my shirt off more now.” 

She looks thrown off by this. “What? You, you aren’t going to put your shirt back on?” 

“Why should I? I’m more comfortable with it off. And since you said you’re completely fine with it, why not? I was only keeping my shirt on out of consideration for you anyway.” 

“Then continue keeping it on!” 

“Why?” You ask, smiling at her as sweetly as you possibly can. 

“Because... because it would be rude not to.”

“And how would that be rude?” 

You’re being annoying, you know. She knows it too, as she scoffs and averts her gaze. 

“You really need me to explain that to you?” She searches her mind for something good to say. “How... how would you feel if I walked around the house with my shirt off?” 

You smirk almost suggestively, looking her up and down. You quickly think about it, and your mouth goes dry. “You’re more than welcome to do that if you wish.” 

She opens to say something else, but closes it again. She sighs. “Alright, you win, okay? Your muscles can be... a bit distracting. Put your shirt back on.” 

She looks almost a bit sad. Did you go too far? Caught in the moment of wanting to tease and play with her? 

You pull your shirt back on. “Hey, is everything okay?” 

“It’s just–“ she pouts slightly–“a little embarrassing.” 

“Embarrassing?” You chortle, almost excessively. “You think that’s embarrassing, try being me.” 

She’s not convinced. “Whatever. It hurts more when it’s recent. You got to look cool with your stupid muscles, and everything.” 

“You want embarrassing?” You walk toward her. “I’ll show you something embarrassing,” you grab her hands. “I think you’re breathtaking. When you walk into a room, I don’t want to look at anyone else.” 

She stares back at you, agape. Her reaction that comes after feels almost delayed. She pushes your hands away. “What’s that! Yah, that’s just cheesy.” 

“Exactly. Isn’t cheesy embarrassing? That was so embarrassing for me.” 

“You didn’t even mean it, did you? You were just saying something cheesy on purpose so I’d feel better.” 

“Meant every word,” you say, and then you’re staring at her. “See?” 

“That, that doesn’t mean anything anyway,” she stammers. “I’m the only one in the room.” 

“I guess that’s true,” you say. “Still, I like it that way. You, the only person in the room with me.” 

She looks down. Is she blushing? “Whatever,” she changes the subject. “You want to watch some TV?” 

“I will if you want to,” you say, and she rushes to the couch, turning it on, like she’s trying to run away from you. “Oh!” she reacts in shock. “My Ugly Duckling! It’s the episode I’m in!” 

You join her on the couch and watch. You’re a little nervous. What are they all going to say? What scenes are they going to show? 

 

 

The sound of rice falling against metal plays over and over again. The current time on TV shows as 1pm in the afternoon. 

“Oh? Is someone making rice?” Shin Dong Yup asks to promote excitement over the mundane task. 

The camera pans to you, scooping rice into the rice cooker pot, contemplating how much to make. 

“Ah... Jong Kook’s making rice today.” 

Park Soo Hong’s mother turns curiously to yours. “Don’t you pack dishes and rice for him?” 

Before your mother can answer, someone appears behind you on screen. 

“Oppa, you need to put in more. That’s not enough,” Jin Young says strictly. 

The mothers and hosts all make approving nois

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter