Chapter 6

I, The Bestfriend

Over the meal, It was another presumptuous dinner with Dara doing all the talk while involving Jiyong every now and then most especially that her topics were mostly in the school.

“By the way dear, I heard you’re taking entrance exams this summer?” Emmie asked.

“Yep. I gotta train my brain cells from now on,”

“I bet you’ll be very busy after graduation?” Suho asked.

“I enrolled to a review school to maximize my time very well,”

“Impressive that our little Dara is thinking about her future.” Emmie said.

“We can get you an apartment in Seoul if you got accepted to any universities there. Both you and Jiyong can share the place.” Suho said while Emmie agreed.

“It’s a good idea, right dear?” Emmie asked Jiyong who was just silent all throughout the topic.

“I think so,” Jiyong answered shortly but Dara disagreed instead.

“I don’t think Jiyo will be in any universities in Korea since he had been offered free education in Harvard or SherKent. He has many choices-,”

“I told you I am not interested!” Jiyong literally slammed his chopsticks down the table and glared at Dara. He realized what he just did and murmured an apology to his parents before excusing himself to his room.

Silence reigned in the dinner table since they haven’t seen Jiyong that mad before. And that was the first time that he shouted at her.

“W-well, Jiyong’s a little bit sensitive, right?” Emmie said, “please finish your food, dear.”

Dara just nodded not really having any appetite right now.

After the meal, Dara decided not to have stay over since she doesn’t want to be murdered by an angry Jiyong.

Suho offered to drive her home while she said her goodnight to Emmie. Along her way to the car, someone grabbed her hand and unceremoniously drag her back inside the house. She looked up Emmie’s direction when Jiyong was angrily climbing the stairs with her tagging along. Emmie just gave her a reassuring smile but it didn’t calm her heart.

Jiyong had the door closed and made her sit in the bed. He was still frowning when she looked up to him.

“You mad at me?” she asked while he didn’t respond while he stood in front of the door while not meeting her eyes. “You can’t possibly get angry at this perfection right here.” she then pointed at her self before beginning to do some silly dance while singing the baby shark song.

Dara do a lot of aegyos but he wasn’t paying much attention to her. She stood up and followed where his eyes is and began dancing silly again on her cute baby voice. Can’t contain it anymore, Dara hugged him and began kissing him on his cheek.

“Aigoo, baby Jiyong is mad.” she pinched his cheeks again and kissed his nose. “mad still?”

Jiyong bit his lower lip, stopping an impending smile in there.

“eh, you’re smiling.”Dara cheered, “come on. Come on baby. One smile, juseyo?” Dara put a puppy smile making him chuckled in the process. “Yasss!” she jumped in glee while he circled his arms to her waist.

“Sorry for shouting at you,” he then said while encasing her face with his palm and gently caressed her cheek with his thumb. Dara stiffened for a couple of second before she regain her composure and smiled widely at him.

“Don’t scare me like that,” she said while still having her arm around his neck.

“never gonna happen again,”

“for now, let’s not talk about future. it,” Dara said imitating herself from the book she read.

Jiyong put his thumb to her lips, “language, Dee.”

“It makes me bad like that in the book,” she said grinning.

“I might have them confiscated,”

“Andwe. It’s our entertainment. Besides I’m always the bad guy in the story.”

“Waeyo?”

“I’m the villain in the love story of Jiyong and Ella.”

“Forget confiscating the books. I’ll be the one to burn them. They ain’t teaching you good values.”

“Hmm. But I can see a love sicken Jiyong right in the books that I can feel myself gagging.”

“How about bestfriend’s love affair? Any story about that?”

“In fact there is. You and Ella are bestfriends-,”

“No. Not the Jilla crap.” Jiyong grimaced, “how about us?”

“Us?” Dara looked at him confusion.

“Yep.”

“Not a single thing.”

“too bad. We look good together.”

Dara snorted while disentangling herself from him. “not a chance, Kwon Jiyong. Concentrate on your Ella girl or lots will cry if you two wont end up together.” she said sitting in the bed while he followed her.

“Who?”

“The Jilla shippers,”

“damn. Never gonna happen.”

“Language, Jiyo.” she said while he grinned at her.

It was an hour later when Emmie saw Jiyong and Dara going down the stairs.

“Omma, we’re going out.” Jiyong said while getting his car key from the key boards.

“We discovered online this new food hub nearby. We’re checking it out.” Dara answered while following Jiyong to his car.

“Alright. Don’t stay out late, you two.” She called out while Dara was the one to affirm her answer.

On the way to the place they planned to go, Dara played something on Jiyong’s stereo and sang inside his car while he drive and suit himself humming along with her.

Jiyong pulled over the hub and fixed Dara’s bennie as they got inside it establishment.

Dara happily looked around the hub while Jiyong busied himself in preparing the sangyupsal. He had cut small bites in the grilled pan while she happily clapped her hands.

After a while, the food was ready and Dara grinned at him while he let her taste the grilled meat.

They only have cola for their drinks because they are still minor to have soju.

“This is so yummy, Jiyo,” Dara can’t stopped herself from complimenting him. “Let’s go back here next time,”

“Sure,”

It past 8pm when they arrived back to Jiyong’s house and they readily went up the stairs to his room.

“Not to sound dramatic but I think you should follow your goal, Jiyo.” Dara said while they lied in bed facing each other. “I mean, I even recorded in my diary that you want to be a doctor while I want to be a teacher, right.”

“But we both said we will do it together,” he countered back.

“I can’t force my brain to work hard to get me into harvard, Jiyo.”

“I’m not saying you go to harvard. I’m saying we’re doing it together. Together.”

Dara shook her head, “I might be saying I’ll ruin you but I don’t really mean it.” Jiyong looked at her in squinted eyes, “Alright, maybe I little but still. I can’t beat you to Harvard,”

“I’ll study here,”

“No you can’t. Are you crazy?”

“I mean it-,”

“What’s holding you here, Jiyo? Opportunities aren’t even knocking your door. It came like an avalanche and you only gotta need is decide which of them can serve you better.”

Jiyong frowned while letting a heavy sigh while he lied on his back.

“How many times I told you I’m not interested?” he asked in suppressed anger on his voice. But Dara scooted over him and planted her chin to his chest while she looked cutely to him.

“don’t you want to be a doctor?” she asked.

“Of course I am.”

“Is Harvard not a good place to pursue it?”

Jiyong paused before answering, “it is,”

“then It’s set. What’s the hold up?” she asked him while he regard her for a moment.

“You.”

Dara tilted her head in confusion, “Me? Wae?”

Jiyong just pushed her off him and lied to his side. “Let’s sleep. Class tomorrow.”

“Peesh,” she scowled at him before kicking him off the bed. When he glared at him, she just struck her tongue to him.

Jiyong hit her with his pillow that ensued pillow fights between them while both had their laughs for that night.

***

School days was almost over until there came the night for the Grad ball where Dara had changed into Bom’s house and had their make up. It was already 6pm that they were escorted by Bom’s father in the Ball since Jiyong was busy in attending to his duties as the president of the school officers. Dara worn her red long evening gown along with Bom who looked pretty with her own red dress. They both entered the hall, without men to them since they got each other instead.

Upon entering in a hall and took pictures in the photo booth, they then settled in their designated table while the band still singing a serenade for the incoming students inside the hall.

Dara grinned widely upon seeing Jiyong singing along with Ella. Some actually gushed over them and took pictures of them together, saying they both looked good.

After the serenade, everyone shared a presumptuous meal before the program started with the school officers spare heading the event.

“And now, let’s all welcome school officer president, Jiyong Kwon for his special number with Ella Loona. Everyone is encourage to join them in the dance floor.” announced the Kira, the Emcee.

When the Ella and Jiyong started to sing, everyone had immediately come to the dance floor in pairs as if they had waited for such sweet music to get them close.

Two guys came to ask for them to dance but they turned them down as they went to the back stage and change into something for the surprise number they prepared for the night.

After the sweet number, everyone settled on their seat while the emcee announced for a special number from a particular section in grade twelve.

Just before the music started, two women in tight black chiffon walked in the middle of the stage with their heels resounding the silence of the hall, shock to see two school weirdos in the stage in bad outfit. When the beat hit the speaker, Bom began to sing followed by Dara rapping. (listen to Everglow Dun Dun)

“you’re so done!” Bom and Dara shouted the mic before they dropped some dance steps that earned them a resounding cheers form the audience.

Bom then walked in front while Dara gave way for her.

‘I’m more fearless than I look so strong

Don’t let your guard down or I’ll flip the tables’

The Dara came to her side and started to rap in lazy manner

‘I’ll dominate in a flash and leave you breathless

Talking cool but my gestures are hot like uh

Elegantly now, I wont stop, can’t stop I’m aiming for you’

Dara pointed to Jiyong who had his eyes on her too while he can’t still believe what he is seeing now.’

Bom and Dara chorused.

‘You’re so dun dun dun dun. You’re so done!’

‘Trapped in the gaze, like a little young lamb. Baby you’ll be frozen.’

Both Bom and Dara threw the mic followed by their hypnotizing final dance in slow music first before the beats picked up fast that they followed it with hip hop y moves ending it in freezing pose.

After the performance, everyone clapped for that explosive surprise number. Dara and Bom lazily returned back to the stage in lazy strides, they both giggled after seeing all the flabbergasted faces of their haters. Most especially those writers who kept on casting them on their books as untalented good for nothing es who had nothing but pretty faces.

They didn’t notice Jiyong following behind them as he run to them and encased them on his arms.

“You both are so sneaky.” he said having an answer to his question now why Dara had been hanging out a lot to Bom’s residence for many days.

“We gotta show them what we got,” Bom said.

“Whose them?” he asked.

“The Jilla shippers.” Dara said. “You look so fab by the way.”

“Not so fab as both of you,” he said while Bom and Dara leaned over and kissed his cheeks.

“We’ll change for moment. Go back to your angel,” Dara pushed him, giggling at his scowling face.

The night ended with fabulous celebration among the upcoming graduates while they enjoyed the night together with all the program prepared for them by the school officers.

Bom waved her goodbye to Dara and Jiyong who dropped her off her house after the Ball. Dara was literally leaning tiredly on the seat while fighting off her drowsiness.

“Take a nap first.” he said while she nodded. “Wait, are you staying in my place or yours?”

“Yours,” she yawned and closed her eyes.

“Roger that,” he said.