Chapter 1

I, The Bestfriend

 

 

 

 

It was almost second to breathing seeing Dara coming inside the house and running towards Jiyong's room.

 

"Dee will you stay for dinner?" called out Jiyong's mom from the kitchen.

 

"Neh! I'll have kimchi stew!" Dara answered while climbing up the stairs.

 

Reaching at the closed door, she opened it with wide grin on her face.

 

"Hey Jiyo!" she happily plopped to his bed beside him while he grunted in pain when she slammed her palm to his tummy.

 

"Aish! Why are you here?" he asked in disgruntlement, placing the phone down to the desk.

 

Dara didn't answer while she climbed down the bed and dug something out her bag pack. She then showed him her assignment notebook.

 

"No. I'm not teaching you. We have exams coming and you're still not done with that? It's due tomorrow." he said.

 

"I forgot about it!" she whined and joined him again in the bed. "Teach me Jebal. Clint might thought I'm not studying."

 

"You never study." he pointed out.

 

"Exactly. That's why you have to teach me." she said.

 

"Get away from here." he said while putting back his headphone.

 

Dara pouted at him but he isn't having it. All of the sudden, Dara declared with a loud voice.

 

"Omma, appa! Jiyo's watching on his phone!" she said which never failed to reach Jiyong's parent's.

 

Jiyong stared at her in disbelief and acted to strangle the living out of her when both Suho and Emmie came rushing to his room and began reprimanding him.

 

"How many times I told you not to engage in such entertainment, Jiyong?" the mom began with her charade.

 

"Mom! I'm watching educational videos!" Jiyong whined.

 

"Honey, can you go check his web history?" Emmie asked Suho while he immediately snatched their son's phone and scan it.

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes when they fall victim to another prank of the woman beside him.

 

"It's clean." Suho affirmed while giving his phone back.

 

"I'm just joking, omma, appa." Dara smiled charmingly to them.

 

"Oh it's just a prank?" Emmie laughed.

 

"Neh." Dara grinned.

 

"Good gracious. Thank god it's a joke." Emmie began to go out the room with Suho tailing behind her. "Dinner in 10 minutes. You two come down after, okay?"

 

Dara just nodded to them before she faced Jiyong’s scowling face and show him her notebook.

 

Jiyong angrily snatched the notebook from her hand and walked towards his study table while Dara happily jumped out the bed and pulled a spare chair beside him. She clutched her bag when she get settled.

 

"You better listen to me or I'll burn this notebook with our stove." he warned.

 

"Neh." she said. "I have to learn maths now since Clint is so good at it."

 

Jiyong just scoffed, "what happened to your ultimate crush last week?"

 

"Dexter? Oh I already unlike him because his feet stinks!"

"and Romeo?"

 

"Bad breath."

 

"Joseph."

 

"weirdo."

 

"Wae? It isn't that long since you said that he's perfect guy?"

 

"No. Ew. He ate burger with marmalade.I mean, who does that?"

 

"I bet Clint will only be your calendar guy for only January." he said while opening pages of her notebook and ignored to the best of his ability the doodles of heart shapes at the top of each pages.

 

"January? I'm planning on making him my guy from January till forever." she said. "he's very smart, witty, handsome and oh his smile..." she clasped her hands together and looked at the ceiling in dreamy eyes.

 

"Yeah right," he said while placing the notebook in the middle of the desk so that both of them can see it. "see right here? You missed one variable in the equation."

 

Dara then glanced over her notebook and after analyzing it, she nodded in understanding why she can't get the predetermined answers. She then get the notebook and began scribbling the equation once again and smiled when she get the answer. Jiyong's role was to point out what went wrong to her own solution and after he checked, she can see then what are her mistakes.

 

It didn't even take long before they're done with assignments and they were called for dinner then.

 

The dinner came very loud and cheerful since Dara was telling Jiyong's parents about her doing in the school.

 

"Jiyong is dating our school's beauty and it's widespread news." Dara declared during their dinner.

 

"Really dear?" Emmie asked her while Dara nodded, looking at Jiyong across the table.

 

"We're not even close to that." Jiyong corrected.

 

"You mean you've been rejected?" Dara asked in much humor. "Omo! You got rejected!"

 

Jiyong suddenly food to her laughing mouth which shut .

 

Dara glared at him while chewing the kimchi grudgingly.

 

 

The next morning, Jiyong had to wake up early, prepare for school as early as five am to drive Dara home so that she can change into her school uniform. This happened every time she had sleepover to his house.

 

"Wake up you slug head." Jiyong snapped when he's done changing into his uniform and found Dara still sleeping to his bed on her stomach.

 

"Five minutes, Jiyo..."she said sleepily while planting her head to the pillow.

 

Irritated, he lifted up one pillow and slammed it to her head that it bounced back. She grunted at the impact and violently kick her feet in annoyance too.

 

"Next time don't come here and bother me with your assignments,"

 

"I only asked five minutes!" she shouted at him in closed eyes, not minding her own disheveled hair.

 

Jiyong throw the pillow to her face, "Aiyoo, look at that disgusting face."

 

Dara picked the pillow too and throw at him when he's exiting from the room.

 

"If you wont come down in 10, you gotta have to walk home." he called out while she grudgingly run to the bathroom. She groaned at her disheveled hair and tied in quickly in bun before picking up Jiyong's toothbrush and put toothpaste on it. She then proceeded on washing her face and checked for the last time her appearance which was far too close for being okay. She run back to his room and looked for her bag pack but she can't find it anywhere.

 

"Jiyo! My bag! I can't find it!" she called out loudly while she paused if he hears it.

 

"I got it!" he called back.

 

Dara immediately run down the stair and found him drinking his milk while Emmie placed the fried bacon and omelet to his plate and hers.

 

"Omma, my milk?" she asked when she sat down beside Jiyong who began eating his food.

 

Emmie just smiled while getting Dara her milk and put it to her own glass.

 

"Did you sleep well, dear?" Emmie asked Dara.

 

"Yup!" she grinned at her while lifting her glass of milk to .

 

"We should ban this woman from this house, omma." Jiyong said to which Dara glanced at her with glaring eyes.

 

"Why's that, dear?" Emmie asked.

 

"Yeah, what is your problem?" Dara demanded. "We slept just fine,"

 

"I can't sleep when your laughing so loud that it can wake up the dead." he snapped.

 

Dara's glare turned into a smiling one before turning to Emmie.

 

"Omma, you try watching Bigbang Theory it's so funny." Dara suggested.

 

"Really dear?" Emmie asked.

 

While Jiyong just groaned when his mom can't do anything of his problem.

 

"I'll lock my room from now on,"

 

"Yah! How about my assignments?"

 

"Try memorizing formulas properly and you're good to go." he said in finality.

 

"Omma, Jiyo is being mean to me," she pouted to Emmie.

 

"Jiyong dear, I think you-,"

 

"Omma, we are not five year olds anymore. What if I have my girlfriend sleeping over and this little bug is sleeping in my room?" Jiyong asked.

 

"You said you and Ella is not a thing?" Dara whined even more.

 

"Not yet." Jiyong said. "Will you grow up too? Aiyoo."

 

Dara pouted while forking her bacon without appetite, "I'll punch you in the face when I failed maths. Then Clint will hate me for being stupid in that subject."

 

"You're not even stupid in that subject, well just a little clumsy but definitely not stupid." he pointed out.

 

"But without you, I can't see the error in my maths!" Dara defended.

 

"Whatever. I'm still locking my room." He said with finality.

 

Emmie just chuckled seeing how disgruntled Dara with Jiyong's strictness sometimes.

 

On their way to Dara's home, Jiyong can still see her pouting but he ignored it while he focused on driving.

 

When they arrived at her house, Dara got out the car while he followed her inside the house. Upon their entrance, Rona greeted them from the kitchen knowing very well that their arrival is to be expected early in the morning.

 

"Jiyo, do you eat your breakfast already?"

 

"Don't feed him anything, omma!" Dara widened her eyes to her mom before she climbed up her room while Jiyong followed her suit.

 

"Aigoo that face," Rona shook her head before turning to Jiyong. "Anyway, did she barged in your room again?"

 

Jiyong just nodded to her while lazily climbing up the stairs when Dara's dad was going down too while fixing his tie.

 

"Appa," he acknowledge him while Jay stopped to placed his hand to his shoulder.

 

"Must be a tough night for you, son." Jay said knowing his daughter.

 

"I'm locking my door from now on." Jiyong just said while Rona and Jay both chuckled.

 

"I'll go and help her prepare her things to school or I will have to give up my calculator to her." Jiyong said and Rona remembered that one incident that Dara forgot to bring her calculator during their calculus exam that she harassed Jiyong into lending him his calculator during their advance maths exams from the other class. Good though that Jiyong managed to pass the exam even when he was handicapped by Dara.

 

When Jiyong entered her room, Dara was showering while he roamed his eyes around towards her desk and her mini library painted all in pink. His eyes then saw his own pillow inside her room too placed neatly beside her yellow bumble bee pillow.

 

It wasn't a while when she got out with a towel on her hair and a robe. She run towards her dressing room, ransacking for her uniform.

 

"Jiyo, my uniform!" she called out from the dressing room while he sighed and stood up from her bed and went inside her mini dressing room. His eyes then went to the hanged uniform just above her head. He reached for it and shoved it to her face.

 

"Oh." Dara grabbed it and pushed him out the room.

 

Jiyong then strode back to the bed while messing up his hair. It took another ten minutes before Dara got out the room and sat in front of her mirror and blow dried her hair.

 

Jiyong boredly looked at her direction and collapsed to her bed, knowing it would take another 20 minutes before she will be done with her routine.

 

"Jiyo, coral or pink?" she held her baby lipsticks to him.

 

"Pink." he said while he played to his phone.

 

Dara then put the pink lipstick on and smack her lips afterwards. After a final glance, she twirled in front of the mirror and smiled in satisfaction.

 

"I'm done." she said and grabbed her things from her study table.

 

"Finally. I'm a hundred years old." he said sarcastically, bolting up from the bed.

 

They both got out her room and walked side by side each other.

 

When they got down from her room, they just bid their goodbyes to Rona and Jay saying they're done with their breakfast at Jiyong's house.