Chapter 5

I, The Bestfriend

 

The school officers were just hanging out the club house intended for them one lunch break. They’re done with the final arrangements for the upcoming grad ball for next week before the graduation ceremony by next month.

 

Jiyong had agreed to join the band formed by the officers themselves and now he was playing random acoustic songs to a guitar that Ella lend him. Turns out that Ella wanted a duet with him that’s why they were sitting side by side while brainstorming what suit their voices and the occasion.

 

“Maybe a song for the sweet dance and another one serenading the entrance of the students in gowns and suits.” Suggested Ella while Jiyong just agreed.

 

The officers teased them again saying they should date for real since it has been long since their long charades of couple thing ship.

 

“The whole school has been wishing both of you to get real already. Geez.” Joshua patted Jiyong’s shoulder while Jiyong just smiled while playing on the guitar.

 

“Some are already writing fiction stories about you two,” Kira giggled, “Read some of them and boy it’s so hot.”

 

“Hot?” Ella asked while not hiding her own pleasure smile.

 

Kira went near to her, “hot like both of you is creating a baby,”

 

Ella gasped and playfully slapped her friend. “yah…that’s too much.”

 

“You should have read them. It has so many versions. Fluff, romance, friendship, and steamy.” Kira playfully grinned at her while Ella just pinched her side.

 

Jiyong just suited himself in finding the right song until he scratched the strong with known melody.

 

“Oh I love this, Jiyongie.” Ella remarked while Jiyong continued to play the bridge.

 

Joshua got his own guitar and played along with Jiyong.

 

“This one’s on you, Jiyong.” Joshua said while Jiyong began to sing the song. Kira clapped along to give some beat while the other officers joined her.

 

‘coz you’re amazing just the way you are

And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while

Coz girl you’re amazing just the way you are,’

 

Ella had been smiling from ear to ear while Jiyong was so engrossed to his singing while he looked up to her. It made the other women officers screamed in much delight. Some whistled at them.

 

A scene so perfect for the couple in love and Ella couldn’t stopped her heart from beating so hard her chest most especially after Jiyong ended the song and smiled at her.

 

“How’s that for serenade?” he asked her.

 

“Serenade?” she stupidly asked.

 

“For the grad ball,” he said.

 

Ella cutely scrunched her nose, “that song belonged to me now. We find another one for the students.”

 

The officers cheered at how Ella had been giving Jiyong the bait but he’s either ignoring it or plain naive for her advancements.

 

“I hope you’ll be my date at the ball.” Ella took her chances here which made Jiyong a little bit surprise now.

 

“It’s too early for that, Ell. Maybe someone will ask you for the ball,” he insisted but Ella was stubborn.

 

“But I feel safer with you as my date, Jiyongie.” Ella pouted.

 

“Bro! Don’t be heartless and accept this cute girl’s request.” Jason helped Ella.

 

“Besides no one had ask you yet, right?” Kira interjected.

 

Jiyong massaged his nape and was about to agree when somebody called her at the door.

“Jiyo!” Dara cheerily beckoned him to the door. Bom was with her while they bring their own food.

 

Jiyong went to them and smiled at how Dara had gone back to her cheerful self after her colds three days ago.

 

“Did we disturb you?” Dara asked in hopeful voice.

 

“Not really,”

 

“Aish. We should have came here when he’s busy, Bom. That way, I’ll annoy him to come with us.”

 

“Maybe next time. Let’s go?” Bom said while walking ahead.

 

Dara turned to him and gave him a packed pizza roll. “Go back inside they’re waiting for you.” she then followed Bom leaving him at the door of the club.

 

“Hey, where are you heading at?” he called out.

 

“roof top,” Dara answered not noticing how Jiyong rushed inside the club, ignoring Ella and the other officers’ question about his own answer to Ella’s request.

 

“I’ll get back to you later, guys.” he just said while getting his bag.

 

Not a minute later, Jiyong was already on Dara’s side while discussing something about the thing they will do in the rooftop.

 

At the rooftop, Bom continued reading a fiction story that Dara and Bom’s classmate wrote.

 

“Oh here’s the good part, Dee.” Bom gave it to Dara who had her head on Jiyong’s lap while he leaned over the concrete wall.

 

“What is that?” Jiyong asked.

 

Bom was the one to answer him, “a fanfiction between you and Ella. A lot of the students both of you and even calling you couple name.” Bom grinned at him. “It’s called Jilla,”

 

“Oh here it is,” Dara finally said while she had found what Bom said. She cleared first before reading in the book.

 

“Jiyong had slowly encased Ella’s face while staring at her eyes as if melting all of her inhibitions. And when their lips touch, everything seemed to burn even the curtains and the stove in Dara’s kitchen was on fire.”

 

“Yah!” Bom literally laughed out loud, “you weren’t even in that scene yet!”

 

“Really? Oh I thought,” Dara innocently said.

 

“You’re on page 63.” Bom said while Dara flipped the pages.

 

Dara cleared once again and began reading in dramatic monologue.

 

‘ “Leave Jiyong alone, Ella,” Dara said.

“No! I love him!,” Ella fought back her tears.

“leave him alone or I will ing slap your face,’

 

Dara distanced the book from her with a glint of excitement on her eyes and looked up to Bom. “Man, I love this book! I’m such an here!”

 

“Ey, language, Dee.” Jiyong flickered her forehead.

 

Dara just massaged it with a grin and began reading again.

 

‘”I would fight my love for him even though you are his best friend, I wont let you ruin our love,’ Ella said with tears on her cheeks.

 

“Jiyong’s mine. You hear me ?”’

 

Dara literally threw the book away, “Ew,”

 

“Wae? It’s a good part.” Bom crawled towards the book.

 

“The me in the story was so great until I said those ing words,” Dara imitated herself in the story.

 

Jiyong literally slapped in successive order. “don’t say bad words, Dee”

 

Dara just slapped his hand away and bolted up and face him, “leave him alone Ella or I’ll ing slap you in the face,” she imitated while grimacing. “disgusting. Why would we fight for you? I would gladly hand you over to her in a gold platter.”

 

Jiyong reached towards her and let her lied down again on his lap, “yeah, yeah. Take a nap for while and forget about that book,”

 

Dara grimaced at him but complied otherwise and closed her eyes. Bom saw how Jiyong frowned at the book she’s holding.

 

It didn’t take a while before Dara actually fell asleep while Jiyong was gently brushing her hair with his hands. Bom had also couldn’t resist herself but gently pinched Dara’s nose.

 

“Who wrote that book, Bom?” he asked in low voice while observing Dara’s sleeping face.

 

“One of our classmates. Actually there are so many writers who created many genres about you and Ella. Quite big fandom around the school.”

 

“Please don’t let Dara read those. It wont be a wholesome entertainment.” he said while Bom nodded quite aware that Jilla has scenes on the book.

 

When Dara mumbled on her sleep, Bom couldn’t help but smile before she glanced to Jiyong who smiled somberly at Dara’s face.

 

***

After the class in the afternoon, Dara was walking her way towards towards the gate of the school while taking a detour behind the classrooms since it’s a shortcut. Bom had already gone ahead of her after her mom called her. While fixing her bag pack, she didn’t notice Ella waiting for her. She stopped on her track when she blocked her way.

 

“can I talk to you for a minute?” Ella said.

 

“I’m in a little hurry actually.” Dara just stepped away from her but Ella got her wrist.

 

“Can’t you leave Jjiyong alone?” Ella said after she turned her to her.

 

Dara blinked and let a smile when she felt like its a dejavu right now.

“what did you say?” she asked unsure if she heard it right.

 

Maybe her grin annoyed Ella that her voice came a little high this time,

 

“I said leave Jiyong alone,”

 

“Why would I?”

 

“you are ruining his future?”

 

Dara scoffed at that, “How am I ruining his future?”

 

Ella let a sarcastic laugh as if trying her best to be patient with her.

 

“Jiyong had been accepted to multiple prestigious universities if he’ll maintain his grades and will graduate as top of the school.”

 

Dara then shrugged her shoulders, “I think he’s doing just fine.”

 

“We’ll you aren’t just weird but ignorant too then.” Ella shot back.

 

“I’m close to bite you, Ella. Spill everything once and for all since I got a TV series I need to catch up.”

 

“Jiyong is in a verge of losing those grants offered at his feet just because of you,”

 

“Me?”

 

“He didn’t take the final exams seriously that his GPA got lowered down significantly.”

 

“Are you kidding? There’s nothing more he loves but study-,”

 

“he answered randomly on the the exams in the afternoon because he has to look over your sick ,”

 

Dara then remembered seeing Jiyong two hours before the end of the class outside her classroom during that examination day. Is that what Ella meant?

 

But instead of letting Ella see her expression, Dara crossed her arms together and lifted her chin to Ella.

 

“So did I ruin his future?”

 

“Significantly,”

 

“Well, that’s good then.”

 

“What?”

 

“I, the bestfriend has one job in Jiyong’s life. That is to ruin his future.”

 

“You’re crazy,”

 

Dara just laughed, “even if you’ll end up his girlfriend, I’ll be there to be a photo bomber in your sweet moments.”

 

Ella just clenched her fists together in anger while Dara wasn’t taking her seriously.

 

“but first, you gotta make him fall in love with you so that I can also ruin your life too.” Dara said seriously while leaning down to her ear. “don’t be such a and stay in your pretend sweet girl image, Ella. Or your admirers will be very disappointed.”

 

Ella stared at Dara with wide eyes when Dara looked at her without a smile on her face this time.

 

“Can I go now?” Dara then asked her while Ella didn’t answer. “Well, good day then, Ella. Happy flirting,”

 

Dara held her head high, still in the character of a certain Dara in one of the Jilla fic book she had read. turning to the corner, her haughty look on her face disappeared after realizing what Ella just said. Jiyong didn’t tell her about his possibility losing his grants from various universities.

 

She was still lost on her thoughts when she got on the school gate where Jiyong was lazily standing there, probably waiting for her. When he noticed her, he gave her a smile which really fooled her that everything was okay for him.

 

Jiyong got her bag but she held to it.

 

“I got it,” Dara said, smiling at her to hide her thought from him.

Jiyong just shrugged off and walked side by side with her.

 

“Omma’s cooking your favorite. Let’s stay over my house,” he said but Dara refused him.

 

“I need to study,”

 

“Pftt! Are you even serious?”

 

“Of course, “ Dara said. “I need to grow up for college life.”

 

“since we’re talking about that, what college are you planning to attend?”

 

“I really don’t have much of choice but to go where I will be accepted.”

 

“so are you gonna take entrance exam this summer?”

 

“Yes. Unlike you who has many universities lining in your feet, I gotta work hard to even land into good school.”

 

“Nah. Not really interested to any of them.”

 

“Harvard don’t interest you? Sher Kent? Kaist or Even Seoul university?”Dara asked and opened the car’s door while Jiyong round up to the driver’s seat. “I heard you don’t need to spend money for your educations in college.”

 

Jiyong concentrated on maneuvering the car out of parking lot, making it out in the highway.

 

“like I say, Dee, I’m not interested to any of them.”

 

Dara frowned at him, “I can still remember you saying when we were just ten that you would study a Harvard someday and be a doctor.”

 

“Yeah, I’m taking studies on Medicine.”

 

“Good. I thought you changed your goal.”

 

“Why would I?”

 

“Nothing. Someone just said I’m ruining your future. Which is crazy because I had been doing that for long. She’s so stupid for noticing just now.”

 

Jiyong stepped on the brake and looked at her direction, “Who told you that?” he said with tinge of hostility on his voice that it made her little speechless for second.

 

“Yah! Don’t stop in the middle of the road!” she said instead while some car honked behind them.

 

“Stay in my place tonight.” he said.

 

“Dude, no. I need to study. Now go.” Dara gestured to the front.

 

“I wont if you say no.” he said.

 

“Jiyo!”

 

“I can be stubborn too, Sandara Park.” he said which immediately a warning signal for her to agree with him now that he was calling her in full name.

 

Dara literally punched his shoulder, “yeah whatever. I’ll have all your pillows.”

 

Jiyong then stirred on the wheel after changing the gear.

 

***