Brother

Twelve Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After completing a photo shoot for a magazine, Ji Hyo arrives at her daughter’s school. Ji Hyo used to be one of the top models in South Korea, her face is on every cover of every magazine, every billboard, every advertisement and more. However, ever since she got married and has a daughter, she reduced the amount of job she got offered and has been trying to be the best mother she could be for her daughter and the best wife for her husband. Even though the latter seems to be failing.

The watch in her wrist shows twelve twenty-five in the afternoon, 5 minutes before her daughter’s class will be dismissed. Ji Hyo takes her phone out and dials her brother.

“Yeoboseyo*. Noona!” Her brother greets her from the other side.

“Joong Ki-yah.” Ji Hyo whispers quietly. “I’ve decided. I’m signing the divorce papers.”

Joong Ki sighs loudly and immediately replies. “Give it some time, Noona. I’m sure Jong Kook Hyung is just confused. It’ll be fine.”

Time is the one thing that Ji Hyo wishes hasn’t slipped.

“It’s not going to be ‘fine’. You know it’s not.”

“Haish, but you guys are perfect!”

“No, we’re not.” Ji Hyo cuts him.

“Okay, were! I’m pretty sure Jong Kook Hyung would not give up on you easily.” Joong Ki takes a deep breath. “You guys were the ideal couple that everyone envied of. When did it all fall apart?”

Ji Hyo can hear his sadness and that saddens her too. She closes her eyes and all the memories that she tries to bury deep inside her brain start flooding in.

Jong Kook leaned forward slowly. “You’re my one and only,” His face was only inches away from hers and he continued, “I love you. I promise I will always love you from now on until death do us apart. Will you marry me?”

Then another.

“Thank you for being our company’s advertisement model. What’s your name?” Jong Kook asked while showing his straight white teeth and smiley eyes that immediately made her fall in love. “I’m Jong Kook. Kim Jong Kook.”

“I’m Song Ji Hyo.” She tried to reply to his smile through her nervousness.

“Let’s grab a bite sometimes, may I have your number? I know a nice ddeokbokki* place nearby.”

Then another.

“Oppa, do you like babies?”

Jong Kook looked surprised but then he chuckled. “What are you implying, yeobo?”

Ji Hyo smiled shyly. “I’m pregnant.”

There he was again. With that damn smiley eyes, he screamed, “Scoreeeeee! Just three months into our marriage and you’re already pregnant, am I dreaming?” He lifted Ji Hyo up and spun her around. "How far along are you?"

“Seven weeks."

Jong Kook's grin widened. “Of course, I love babies, Ji Hyo-yah. I pray every single day to be able to expand our family because I want to see mini-you running around our apartment.”

Ji Hyo didn’t expect his reaction being like this. “Or mini-you.”

“No,” Jong Kook shook his head. “I want a daughter that has your features. Dear God, let me be a little girl dad that will be a babo* because of her.”

Why can’t these memories stop rushing in?

“It’s a girl. Congratulations!”

She saw it. The tears started to gather and fell one by one from his eyes.

“Tha- thank you, seonsaengnim*.” He even choked through his tears. “We’ll be having a daughter, Ji Hyo-yah. Thank you so much.” He kissed her. Starting with her forehead, her temples, her nose, her cheeks, and the last one her lips. Over and over.

“Noona?”

Thank God for Joong Ki.

“Eo?”

“You’re okay?”

“Ne. Just thinking. When did it all fall apart?” Ji Hyo muses. “But it wasn’t in one day. It’s been piling up for a decent amount of time, from small arguments that turned into huge ones, from trying to be alone to clear our own minds, to a wide distance that keeps widening.”

Joong Ki stays silent for a while. If Ji Hyo doesn’t check if they’re still connected, she would think that Joong Ki hangs up or there’s something wrong with their connection.

“Are you sure, Noona? You know you can’t undo a divorce. Are you sure there’s nothing else you can do to save your marriage?”

“He loves her.”

“Nu gu*?”

“You know who.”

“Yoon Eun Hye?” Her brother can’t conceal his hatred towards her. Towards the woman that more or less steals her husband.

“I mean, I don’t blame her.” Ji Hyo sighs. “She comforted him when I wasn’t there for him. Even though I should have as a wife.”

She glances over to her right and sees Lee Kwang Soo, who seems to be watching her. She smiles at him and he smiles back. Lee Kwang Soo is younger than her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter