Hydrangea

Twelve Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo wakes up to the same old hospital smell, with white things around and the smell of sterilized, alcoholy rooms across. She then tries to press the button of the bed to lift her up into a sitting position. Looking to her right to take her painkillers, she notices a huge vase of colorful hydrangea flowers. Hydrangea has always been her favorite type of flowers because of the colors, and the way they flock together as if they’re afraid of the outside world.

Who bought them?

Does Joong Ki know her favorite flower? When did he find the time to buy them?

Can’t think more since her head is killing her, she takes the painkillers and chug some down. The headache is coming back again and it’s stronger than before. Is it because her shoulder was shot? Is there any correlation between these? She feels like her headache is worse than the pain on her shoulder.

Focusing her eyes to observe her room, she notices that it’s quite different. There’s another vase on her left side, they’re tulips this time. Who loves tulips? Ji Hyo tries to think, then she remembers, her mother-in-law did. She even tried growing tulips when she was younger, her mother-in-law once told her. Was Jong Kook here?

The room is cleaner than last night when she was chit-chatting with Joong Ki all across the room. Did the hospital staff come and clean the room? Where is Joong Ki by the way?

Her mind is still in question when suddenly her door opens and enters Jong Kook, in a bright clean pale yellow shirt with their daughter in his arm, dressed in a flowy cream floral dress. She looks surprised.

Yesterday, when Ji Hyo saw Eun Hye hugged her husband, whispered in his ear, took his hand, and pulled him towards her car, she didn’t think he would visit her today. Let alone really early in the morning with their daughter.

“Eomma!” Jin Joo greets her and frees herself from her father’s embrace. “You’re awake finally!”

As always, Ji Hyo will open up her arm and gathers Jin Joo in her hug. “When did you get here?”

“Really early. Appa said we have to surprise Eomma!” Jin Joo cheerfully informs her.

“Did he?” Ji Hyo shifts her glance towards her husband. “Jong Kook-ssi- Oppa,” She corrects herself when he sees his warning. “Aren’t you going to go to work?” She briefly glances at the wall-clock and it is nearing 7.30 in the morning. Jong Kook is usually already at work by 8 and she knows the distance between the hospital and his office is not close.

When Ji Hyo’s eyes meet Jong Kook’s, he is breathless. There is a dull ache in his chest. She is alright, she is recovering well. But every time Jong Kook closes his eyes, he will see Geon Ae pointing the gun at Ji Hyo’s shoulder and pulls the trigger, making her ivory blouse stained with red.

He balls his fist and takes a deep breath. He wants to hug her so bad. “No, I’m taking the day off.”

“Wae?”

“I thought I should,” He hesitates for a second. “Accompany you and Jin Joo. Joong Ki has some work to do and there’s no one that can take care of Jin Joo.” He glances at Jin Joo who’s already coloring on the floor.

“You don’t have to,” Ji Hyo shakes her head. “This isn’t part of the deal. I can ask others to-”

Jong Kook kisses her. Right when Jin Joo’s looking at them, making her grin. Then, he averts his eyes. “Ji Hyo-yah, I know why you have that deal. You want Jin Joo to think that we’re a happy family and let’s be real, there’s no better way to prove it other than spending a day together.”

“Jin Joo has school today.”

“It’s Saturday. And also, the school is closed for further investigation. They want to make sure that the school is absolutely safe.”

Ji Hyo knows it’s the weekend and the school is closed down for a moment. She read the parents group chat last night. She just wants to get away from Jong Kook. Only God knows how much her heart can take.

“Aren’t you going to help with the investigation? Be the witness or something? Have they interrogated you?”

Jong Kook wants to laugh for a moment from the way she bombards him with questions. “They have. Right after you went to the operating room, I went to the police station and was interrogated. How about you? Have you?”

Ji Hyo nods, shifting her gaze so she’s staring at the wall in front of her. “I told them I didn’t know anything, though, because I really didn’t.”

“Good.”

Ji Hyo can feel Jong Kook’s gaze burning a hole in her, and because of that she doesn’t dare to look at him. She feels his hug not until two seconds later. Jong Kook wraps his strong arms around her shoulder, mindful of her left one, and kisses her temple. Ji Hyo rests her head on his shoulder and sighs somehow contently. They stay like that for a long time. Both of their eyes are welled with unshed tears. “Nine more to go, Oppa.” Ji Hyo whispers really quietly and she can feel him nodding.

“Are you okay, Ji Hyo-yah?” He whispers before he moves back unwillingly, to take a closer look on her face. The once smooth beautiful face, but now has some bruises here and there.

She nods.

“I still care about you.”

Ji Hyo scoffs, then her eyes turn stormy. “Of course, you do. You’ve grown attached. One can grow attached to a dog if it’s following him around.”

Horrified, Jong Kook takes a step towards Ji Hyo. “You’re not a dog.”

I sure feel like one.

-

After lunchtime, Ji Hyo watches as Jong Kook and Jin Joo try to build a castle out of legos. He bought her toys earlier because there's nothing she brought except her coloring book and her color pencils, and she felt bored. She cheers loudly every now and then, especially when her father tickles her and blows raspberry onto her belly.

“Appa,” Jin Joo’s still concentrating on putting more legos. “When I’m big, I want to have a big castle like this.” Jin Joo points at the legos.

Jong Kook ruffles her hair with his hand. “And so you will.”

Jin Joo beams at his father. “Jinjja?”

Jong Kook nods, leaning down to Jin Joo’s ear. “If you work h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter