Chapter 4

Dense
Please log in to read the full chapter

“IT’S JUST PACKAGED RAMEN, HOW THE FU-AAAAHHHHH!” Tzuyu groaned as she was woken from her deep slumber, she rubbed her eyes tiredly, her mood already grumpy from staying up late frantically typing up her essay assigned by her overbearing history teacher. Like who the hell needs to know the names of King Henry VIII’s wives? The executioner? They’re probably dead, ironic as it sounds.

Another shout, “CHAEYOUNG, THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER QUICK!” Tzuyu gritted her teeth in annoyance as she covered her head with a pillow trying to shut the noise out as she tried going back to sleep.

Tzuyu did love Dahyun and Chaeyoung with all her heart, they’ve been nothing but friendly and thoughtful ever since the three of them decided to live together. At first Tzuyu was reluctant at the thought of living without her parents but since the maknae trio were all attending the same college, she figured she might as well. The three of them of them quickly adapted and fell into a routine, taking turns cleaning, laundry, and washing the dishes. However, when it came to cooking dinner, it settled on either Chaeyoung or Tzuyu because the first and last time they let Dahyun cook…

“Dahyunnie?” Chaeyoung spoke softly as she glanced at Dahyun in an apron, making dinner for the three roommates.

Dahyun glanced back but continued stirring “What’s up?”

Chaeyoung got on her toes as she looked over Dahyun’s shoulder, catching a brief look at what seems to be stew “Whatcha cooking?”

“Just some kimchi stew, our neighbor had extra and lent us some. We’re eating well tonight girls!”

Chaeyoung hummed in agreement, as delicious as spicy cup ramen is, nothing can beat a nice homemade meal.

Tzuyu walked by just as and let out a faint gasp as she observed Dahyun put in cubes of tofu, “Unnie, no!”

Dahyun yelped in surprise at Tzuyu’s voice and turned towards the tall girl, “Whatwhat?!”

Tzuyu pointed at the steaming pot, “You’re cooking your own people alive!” she dramatically cried out, but couldn’t hide the smile in her voice. Dahyun clearly displeased, rolled her eyes, and continued stirring in her peop-I mean tofu. Chaeyoung was laughing at the taller girl’s antics but immediately ceased when the older girl glared at her.

Dahyun started humming and added soy sauce to give some final touches, as she stirred in the liquid, she turned to the site of Chaeyoung and Tzuyu looking with their mouths wide open in surprise.

“Umm, may I help you?” Dahyun reluctantly asked, finding the two girls strangely quiet.

Tzuyu pointed into the pot, “Did you just put in…vanilla extract?”

Dahyun stared blankly, “Eh?” she took a good look at the bottle on her hand and read the label, ‘Pure Vanilla Extract.’

“O-oh…” Dahyun muttered as her shoulders slumped in disappointment

Chaeyoung tried to reassure the girl, “Don’t worry unnie, it doesn’t have to be perfec-“

“No!” Dahyun snapped, eyeing the pot of her now tainted kimchi stew, “I can fix it!” without thinking she rushed over to the fridge and pulled out a bar of milk chocolate, hastily unwrapping it.

Tzuyu went wide eyed seeing her the maknae leader slowly losing it, “Unnie, no!” She and Chaeyoung quickly stood in front of the pot in an attempt to prevent Dahyun from ruining the dish even further.

Dahyun let out a wicked grin, “Unnie, yes!” without bothering to aim, Tofu girl chucked the chocolate bar straight into the pot before Chaeyoung and Tzuyu could intercept it. The bar sunk with an audible hiss and sunk into the stew, the chocolate immediately seeping to the rest of the pot. There were a few moments of silence before the three rushed over to their dinner, and eyed it curiously.

Chaeyoung took a whiff, “It doesn’t smell…awful.”

Tzuyu being the brave girl that she is grabbed the soup ladle and spooned some of the stew. The Taiwanese girl brought it up to her nose and can confirm Chaeyoung’s statement, it’s not terrible, but it wasn’t the most pleasant aroma. Sighing and hoping for the best Tzuyu blew on the stew for a few seconds before taking a sip. She quickly gulped it down and braced herself.

After a few moments of nothing, Tzuyu looked at Dahyun and Chaeyoung and smiled

“That wasn’t so ba- “but quickly cut herself off as she immediately covered and started retching. The two older girls watched as Tzuyu ran over to the bathroom where she started spewing out the abomination that Dahyun called kimchi stew.

Chaeyoung did the same and curiously eyed the concoction, she gulped and tried a spoonful, the result was immediate and she made her way towards the sink, expelling out the awful taste. Dahyun put her hands on her hips and whined, “C’mon aren’t you two a little overdramatic? It can’t be that bad.”

“Wait, unnie, don’t!” Chaeyoung heaved, trying to warn her but the older girl paid her no mind

Dahyun chuckled at the younger two’s ridiculousness and confidently took a generous helping of stew, savoring the last drops with a smug smile, “See, you kids are just being immatu-“ she couldn’t finish her last sentence as the aftertaste hit her palate, and the pale girl rushed to the other side of the sink, joining the youngers in their misery.

For a few minutes the house was filled with the noise of the three maknae girls trying to expel the contents of their stomachs. By the end of it, they were all gasping for air, and were leaning on whatever structure was closest to them.

“Unnie…I think you should leave dinner making to me and Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung said between breaths.

Tzuyu and Dahyun both nodded in agreement. Moral of the story, fermented cabbage and baking ingredients do not mix well.

Tzuyu grimaced at the memory of the “dessert kimchi” as she and Chaeyoung have named it whenever they bring up Dahyun’s cooking skills. Surprisingly Dahyun glaring at you can be surprisingly terrifying despite her size so the younger duo tends to refrain from that type of teasing.

“WHY IS THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER EMPTY CHAEYOUNG?!” she hears Dahyun shouts

“I PROMISE IT’S NOT UNNIE, JUST SHAKE IT A LITTLE BIT!” Chaeyoung responds in an equally panicked voice.

“IT’S NOT A SODA CAN DAMMIT!” Dahyun retorts and yelps when Tzuyu assumes the fire spreads even further.

“BUT ISN’T THAT EXACTLY WHAT A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IS?!”

Short pause

“DON’T GET CRASS WITH ME YOUNG LADY!”  Dahyun scolds as she briskly shakes the fire extinguisher

“Sorry unnie…” Tzuyu hears Chaeyoung’s voice lower down several notches, Tzuyu assumes Dahyun used her terrifying glare at the younger girl.

The youngest of the maknae line sighs and looks at the clock as the panicked conversation between the older two continued

“8 o’clock” she murmurs before sighing, “Guess I better help those two idiots.”

Tzuyu walks out of their shared bedroom and makes her way towards the kitchen, at the very least the living room was still intact.

“CHAEYOUNG SHUT IT OFF!” she heard Dahyun scream, Chaeyoung now in possession of the fire extinguisher when Dahyun dropped it from the force of the spray

“I DON’T KNOW HOW TO!” Chaeyoung whined

“COVER THE THINGY!”

“IT’S FIGHTING ME, I CAN’T REACH IT!”

Tzuyu sighed for the umpteenth time that day, “Alright, you two, what’s- “before she could finish, she was sprayed by the foam coming out of the nozzle, the substance getting all over the younger girl’s Star Wars pajamas

The youngest member yelped as she tried to brush off the freezing foam, “C-C-COLD!” she cried out

“S-SORRY CHEWY!” Chaeyoung shifted the direction of the defective extinguisher, and ended up spraying Dahyun, who yelped in surprise

“CHAEYOUNG!” the older screamed as she moved out of the way of the spray. “DAMMIT JUST POINT IT DOWN!”

Chaeyoung immediately complied and sprayed it below her, however, Dahyun’s solution was flawed as it started to gather around the cub’s feet. The coldness seeped its way inside her socks and she squeaked, jumping around trying to avoid the splotches of foam. She lost her footing and tripped onto a small pile of foam

“AHH, MY !” she squeaked and immediately scrambled to get up along with Dahyun and Tzuyu where the three of them were trying to put as much distance between them and the evil spraying device as possible.

The three of them were shivering in a corner huddling for warmth as they watched the last fire extinguisher spray the remnants of its supply, going out with a final spurt. The maknae line shifted their attention to the kitchen, or the remains of it. The three just stared blankly for a while, before the front door suddenly opened, and inside came a Momo sporting a sleeveless crop top and jogging pants.

“Yo Tofu, ready for our weekly ru-WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD JIHYO, HOLY !” Momo shouted as her jaw dropped to the floor upon entering the kitchen that was in shambles with several splashes of a weird foam spread throughout the floor and even on the kitchen island. Burnt patches were present on the cupboards and the sink had a spilled pot of ramen broth with the noodles miserably sprawled across the stove. What struck her even harder was the three girl’s shivering in a corner near the fridge, the three of them turned towards the Japanese girl, a blank expression on all of their faces.

Momo stared back at their foggy eyes,” Umm so what happe- “

“We don’t want to talk about it.” The three said in unison before Tzuyu went out like light.

“So, you’re telling me,” Jihyo paced around the room, searching through cabinets for a blanket for the three maknaes who were currently shivering on the couch with their heads bowed down in what could only be shame. Jihyo was flabbergasted when she saw Momo piggybacking an unconscious Tzuyu while Dayun and Chaeyoung followed close by shivering, Momo explained the best that she could to Jihyo and the latter asked Jeongyeon to assess the damage back at the maknae line's house.

“Dahyun wanted to make cup ramen in the microwave” Jihyo smirked triumphally  once she discovered a large enough blanket in the linen closet, she spread the blanket over the younger girls earning a relieved sigh from them, “and it led to your kitchen being trashed?” she placed her hands on her hips as she stared down the maknae line like a mother to her kids.

“Y-yes, Unnie.” Chaeyoung softly said in fear of the intimidating women.

Jihyo sighs before chuckling and pinches their cheeks earning three whines, “Aish, I can’t stay mad at the three of you, that’d be a crime.”

“Well I certainly can,” they all turn to the new voice as Jeongyeon enters the room with a scowl on her face before crossing her arms, “I just assessed the damage, and it’s gonna take about me four hours

The three younger girl’s eyes went wide, “Four hours?!”

“Unnie, some of the drywall burnt off there’s no way you can fix it in just fou- “

“That’s where you’re wrong Chewy-ah~.” The group turned towards a newly awoken Nayeon who went and wrapped an arm around Jeongyeon’s shoulder as if it was the most natural thing in the world, this elicited an eye roll from the younger girl.

Nayeon gave a bunny smile and squished one of Jeongyeon’s cheeks, “She can and she will this is Jeong-eomma we’re talking about!” the younger huffed in annoyance before pulling out a piece of paper.

“Aish, can you stop with that mom junk,” Jeongyeon tried to sound stern but it came out as more of a cute whine, causing the bunny girl to giggle,

“Anyway, while me, and Nayeon fix up the kitchen, you three can go with Momo to get groceries for tonight.” She explained as she handed the list to Tzuyu along with some bills.

Nayeon groaned,

“Ugh, why meeee, Jihyo’s right here.” Nayeon said, gesturing towards said girl, who rolled her eyes at the older girl’s whining.

“Because she actually has things to do on the weekend.” Jeongyeon smirked before turning towards the bunny girl and looked towards the ground and before touching the tips of her index fingers together

“B-but of course, you don’t have to h-help, I just thought it’d be nice to m-maybe, spend time with each other.” she looked up and gave her best pouty face she could despite internally screaming regretti

Please log in to read the full chapter