Chapter 5

Dense
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Here’s your cappuccino sir.”  Jeongyeon smiled as she placed the drink on the customers table. The older man who was slouched in his seat paid her no mind and continued reading his tabloid.

 The tall girl gave a small bow and kept up her fake smile all the way to the service counter before placing the serving tray back in its place.

She rolled her eyes, ‘Wow, of course a thank you would be too much’ she thought

Continuing the act she bowed, “You’re very welcome, sir, just doing my job, ya know?” she spoke in a mocking tone, but the sarcasm and venom was clearly evident in her voice.

She was currently working her afternoon shift as a waitress in a small café in close proximity to her university. The café was vintage with dark patterned walls, wide windows that gives a nice view of the street and round coffee tables surrounded by armchairs, plus the doorbell does a little pleasant jingle whenever a customer walked in. It was a pleasant place for students to study for upcoming exams or just to destress from their day. Of course, there’s always a few rude eggs that enter occasionally but hey, money is money.

“Yo” a voice called out. Jeongyeon smirked as a girl emerged from the kitchen, munching on an apple, “bad apple?” she giggles

Jeongyeon groaned at the terrible pun, “Yeah,” she glanced at the supposed bad apple who was still idly reading his paper, “how about you, not saving any for your bunny, bear?” she pointed at the fruit in Seulgi's hand, the latter almost choking at the younger girl's tease.

Walking over she smacks Jeongyeon’s shoulder “Yah!” the bear whines, “You know Irene’s only allowed to call me that!” she responded in a scolding tone but the bright blush she sported was not helping her case.Jeongyeon laughed at the older girl's flushed face

Kang Seulgi, 2nd year who was currently taking up dance at Jeongyeon’s University. Very out-going and a very unique personality, not to mention the mostly cuddly person anyone can imagine. Jeongyeon still sometimes teases Seulgi about how she first discovered the bear girl.

Jeongyeon sat with her cheek resting on her propped-up hand. She was bored out of her mind, especially with the history teacher with his monotone voice and is enthusiastic about his job as a jar of dirt. She yawns and smirked when the other equally as bored students replicated the sound. Next to her was a sleepy Nayeon that was on the brink of falling under. Like the good friend she is, Jeongyeon gently booped the other girl’s nose to grab her attention. Said girl turned to her in a sleepy daze and Jeongyeon offered her shoulder

Nayeon lightly smiled before happily snuggling against the younger girl’s shoulder giving a sigh of content. Jeongyeon felt an unfamiliar heat rise up to her cheeks as she heard each the older’s individual breaths, it seemed strange considering her and Nayeon always did gestures like these since they were kids.

‘So, what’s this feeling?’ Jeongyeon placed her free hand over her chest and felt her erratic heartbeat, she glanced over to the peacefully sleeping Nayeon who was lightly snoring, a gentle smile on her face, ‘Or rather, what are you doing to me Nayeon?’

“TEACHER! I’M SORRY I’M LATE”

Jeongyeon’s thoughts were interrupted when a girl slammed the door open and called out to the teacher up in front of the classroom.

“Kang Seulgi…” the teacher spoke unenthusiastically, before he can finish his statement, the mentioned girl immediately sprinted to the front of the class before bowing deeply to the professor. Jeongyeon eyed the girl with a curious smirk while Nayeon was beside was beside her not bothering to rouse from the sudden event, still sleeping soundly.

“PLEASE, FORGIVE ME!” Seulgi pleaded.

The class was stuck in an uncomfortable silence as Seulgi remained bowing, it was broken when the teacher cleared his throat and picked up a clipboard from his desk, he flipped through several sheets of their class attendance until he spoke up.

“Miss Kang, your class isn’t for another two hours.”

“What?” Seulgi slowly stood upright confusion on her face

“You’re in 2nd year history, correct?” The professor spoke with a faint hint of irritation in his voice, “Along with Miss Bae Joohyun, and Miss Son Seung-wan?”

Seulgi nodded affirmatively

The professor spoke slowly, “Well…this is the first-year history class.” He gestured towards the students currently, making Seulgi turn around facing the class who all waved at her awkwardly. Seulgi’s face visibly became redder as the 2nd year felt wave of embarrassment hit her.

She hesitantly waved back, “Umm…hello everyone...” she spoke embarrassed before turning back to the teacher, “I guess I’ll see you later, professor! Two hours actually!” she tries to joke but the history teacher kept a blank expression.

She bows slightly before making her way towards the classroom entrance, repeatedly bowing in apology and mouthing, “Sorry for the disturbance.”

The door shut and the class let out a few huffs of laughter and snickering, Jeongyeon giggled as well but she can’t help but feel bad for the girl, while it’s a bit embarrassing to forget your classes when you’re already in your second year, no ones perfect. A few hushes from the professor and the class went back to it’s dead silence as it has been since the beginning of 1st semester. Nayeon snuggling further into the further girl and Jeongyeon can’t help but smile at the adorable bunny rabbit next to her and she placed her chin atop of her hand and listened mindlessly through the boring lecture

After class Jeongyeon and Nayeon went searching for the girl (thankfully) disrupted their class, they didn’t search long however when the girl was seen standing with two other girls next to the fountain located at the front of the school. From the looks if Seulgi was being scolded as the shorter raven-haired girl had her arms crossed while Seulgi was hunching forward.

“So not only did you go at the right time despite my constant reminders yesterday, you managed to make yourself look like a complete doofus in front of the class.” The raven-hair growled

Seulgi flinched at the tone, “But Babe- “

“AND,” the shorter immediately replied, “You left me alone with WENDY, WENDY of all people!”

“HEY!” the girl that the 2yeon duo assumed to be Wendy spoke up, “I make great company.” she tried defending herself but only got an eye-roll from the barely taller girl.

“Excuse me” Nayeon interrupted their conversation and three eyes looked at them, Nayeon smiled,

“Hello, I’m Im Nayeon and this is Yoo Jeongyeon, “she introduced themselves and gave a polite bow, we saw your friend, Seulgi during her little…escapade.”

Irene’s eyes went wide and glared at Seulgi once more before turning towards the two younger students and gave a nervous laugh,

“Please forgive me on behalf of my girlfriend here, I’m familiar with her antics.”

“They’re not antics if it’s not on purpo- “Seulgi tried to defend herself but Irene quickly pinched her thigh causing her to yelp in pain.

Irene smiled, “Ah, please forgive my manners. My name is Bae Joohyun but please call me Irene, you already know this idiot here, and that girl next to her is Son Seung-wan but please call her Wendy.” Wendy waved at them playfully.

“Nice to meet you all, unnies.” Jeongyeon nodded, “ah, don’t worry about Seulgi-unnie, she made the class tolerable today.” She chuckled. Nayeon nudged her shoulder and glared at the taller girl

“Would you like to join us for lunch?” Wendy asked the younger girls, “It’s just there by the park, the little vintage cafe.”

Jeongyeon clapped her hands,“Ah, I actually work there as a waitress. Today's my day off so it's my first time entering as a customer."

Seulgi widened her eyes,

“Really?! I work there too! As sanitary manager.” She smiled proudly but Irene only rolls her eyes

Irene goes over to Jeongyeon a

Please log in to read the full chapter