Chapter 3- Puddles and Oceans

Why Promises May Hurt
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I cannot sleep. My fully disturbed mind was making me too alive and I cannot stop replaying the happenings just couple of hours ago. Too many questions to be asked but no answers can be found. I sighed and looked at the grandfather clock at the corner of the spare room where I chose to occupy for breather and clearing purposes leaving Byul in her own masters. It’s already past 2:30 in the morning. I still can’t believe this is happening right now. I despise that woman for years and here I am almost giving her my consideration. Consideration for what? For this to work out? I must be really crazy. Not to mention the liplock sessions that happened twice. TWICE. As I continue to stare at the beautiful city lights and night sky, I can’t help but wonder what triggered Byulyi to come back here and what happened between her and Dahee unnie. The idea immediately raise the bile at my throat and bitterness is around the corners of my mouth. Remembering her expressions right after I asked about it and the unfathomable tense that reflected in her body langauge, I guess I just hit a very tough spot she herself cannot defend and that made me realize I am so dumb to immediately believe she really did chose me. I stormed out of her room expecting for her to follow me and fight for all the means but to my big disappointment she didn’t and I found myself locked in this room. How envious am I to people who have lots of options in life. I thought and felt a deep familiar pang of pain in my chest. I was about to get a little rest when I heard a subtle beep of the entrance door and soft rustles from the living room. Is Byulyi leaving at this hour? I got up and went outside carefully.

I was closing my door when I heard someone called my name.

“Yongsun-ssi?”

The familiarity of the voice was so uncanny. I couldn’t be wrong. My hands that are still holding the knob suddenly shook and the feeling of major betrayal replaced the pain that I still felt from earlier. I turned to face the owner of that voice and tried my best to make the most pretentious smile I could muster.

“Dahee-unnie.” 

I saw her a little confused and her browse shoot upwards as if waiting for me to say what brought me here at this very late hour. But unfortunately I cannot grasp the right words and my voice might have left my whole being.

“Oh, yes. I heard from Byulyi you just had your promotions so maybe you and the girls just had a little gathering? Congratulations by the way. I’m still a fan.” She smiled in a most hopeful way. Too fragile to be true.

“A-ah. Yes and no.” I tried to regain composure and continued. “Something happened to me by accident. I fainted during the celebratory dinner maybe because of the stress and restlessness so they uh... yes, I think they decided to bring me here for a little rest.” 

“That explains why Byul hasn’t answering my calls then. I just returned from my schedule overseas and I really didn’t expect to catch up with you like this, at this hour. Unnie is missing the rest of you girls, especially you Yongsun-ssi. You’re always not there during our eat outs.”

I was stone cold. Another revelation. Where would all these lying sum up to and how many people are still possibly biting behind back. I bit the insides of my mouth so hard it gave a taste of metallic tinge i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter