SCENE OF THE GHOST CARNIVAL

MYSTERIES

The streets of Seoul were tidied up before the nightly feast, about the grandiose fireworks, which should surpass the large-scale Halloween holiday, which took place two years ago. Having talked with the outgoing committee, the mayor came to the conclusion that after the tragic death of one of the girls, it was necessary to encourage the residents by organizing a carnival night throughout the city. Journalists, having met with him, after such a news report, asked:

"Why do you need to arrange this masquerade, with one face?"

"So it will be more interesting, don't you find? It is necessary to somehow revive our city; otherwise everything seems to have died out because of that girl. At the end of the party, when it strikes 12 on the watch, you will remove the masks. I wonder who will be with whom?"

***

The night journey of rain did not go unnoticeable for the residents of the city, when they got up to work in the morning and left their homes. Raindrops chased them to their destination, with dew poured from branches that stood on either side of the trees. Wet sidewalks, in the spotlights shone, attracted to the puddles of the small inhabitants of Seoul.

The city itself was decorated with its natural colors and surprised passersby with such different combinations of red and blue. What colors will he play tonight? According to the mayor, "everything is ready for the carnival", for all residents it remains only to buy up masks in the store.

The city mayor ordered the creation of several chain stores where all the masks that he personally ordered from a Venetian merchant were to be stored. He was fascinated by masks when he traveled to Venice last year. Then he was lucky enough to participate in a real carnival, and he got the idea to create something similar in his city.

The best memories of the carnival were a mask that hung in his house in a place of honor. He himself did it with his own hands, and in honor of her, he decided to recreate the masquerade from the Ghost mask. The Ghost mask, or as the Venetians themselves called it the Volto mask, the mayor admired for a long time, he wanted to make it once, so he was proud when he was so lucky.

The “Phantom” masks of Seoul city differed from the classical masks of Venice in that a hole was cut in the mouth, and now the townspeople could drink and eat without removing it from the face. A little intrigue for guests and residents.

In total there were two rules on carnival night:

1. Only married couples have the right to know how her half is dressed. The rest, I ask you to dress up separately.

At first, such a rule shocked and storms the discontented voices, then the intrigue captured the inhabitants so that the noise died down. They wondered if the halves recognize each other, so you can check for true love.

2. One suit, that is, the girl dresses like a guy.

Everything was agreed on about the costume for a long time, it was chosen by the whole city, after the costume designer provided his own version of the clothing. You can’t hide a woman’s body behind a man’s suit, such was the alignment and it worked. They chose the simplest, dark blue color:

-Narrowed trousers

-shirt,

-vest,

-mini-tie (a butterfly was also offered for choice),

-Cape cape, the basis for the Ghost mask.

They argued about the headgear, how it should be, the female half of the city flatly refused to wear hats or caps, they wanted something not ordinary, unconventional. The male half is proud, did not want to put anything on his head. In the end, they settled on a feather hood, which was specially added to the development of the cloak. The feathers were of different colors, and the length was also different. It looked ridiculous, and whoever tried on it laughed.

The evening promised to be grand. Everyone was looking forward to it.

***

Nayeon was also looking forward to the evening for them. Today she had a very interesting and mysterious date. By an interesting date, Nayeon meant a meeting with Mina, the girl nevertheless agreed to go on a date with her, which meant that Mina would soon ask for something in return for her rule No. 2. She would make any request in return for a date with ease. There were opportunities and connections.

She will meet the girl closer to 16.00, near the library, where in addition to them several couples will meet, future actors of the play “Moon Tune”. The director of the college called them before yesterday and reported the good news (good news for him, of course), on Carnival Night 1 act of the performance will take place, that is, "Meet" the audience with the participants. Especially for them, they made costumes in which they are obliged to walk, regardless of whether they like or not.

Now Nayeon was trying on a costume intended for her as the 5th main role in the script, which they hastily wrote (but honestly, there is a lot to redo there). The director waved his hand, just ran his eyes through the text, said:

“The mayor will like it. He loves all sorts of riddles and secrets. Do everything to intrigue before the start of the main event in the carnival, fireworks. I count on you. Do not let me down.»

Do not let me down, the girl flashed through her thoughts, finally tying a butterfly around her neck.

“I look like a clown,” she sighed doomed, giving herself a critical look. “With this view, I’m not seducing not just Mina, but even the dog from the gateway.” Although there may be a dog like this bone that hangs on my sleeve. Maybe get rid of the bone?

"Do not even think to remove it from the costume - she remembered the moment when she was given the carnival costume. If Mina took off her glasses, then Nayeon would definitely see a mockery in her eyes. “She really suits you.”

- You're kidding right? And who invented this costume, in whose brains this idea was born? Of course, I understand that it should look mysterious, but not so much?

“Not a tambourine, Nayeon. You will play the most mysterious girl in this entire story with you - you tried to ease the situation with Jeongyeon, pulling out your creation in God's light. - What the hell is that?!

“Ha ha ha, what were you talking about outfits, Jeongyeon?” Nayeon gloated, throwing her costume aside, and raising the girl's carnival outfit to the light. “At least you have no bones and trinkets here. Change?"

“You will dress him, and I will go on a date with you,” Mina's voice whispered softly as she stood behind her.

"Somehow my rules do not follow us alternately, but I agree. Girls, what are your outfits?"

“I'm afraid to upset you, my dear, but only you and Jeongyeon will look like jesters," Mina announced when she took out her phone and found a photograph of her suit. The rest did the same with the phones; indeed, they were lucky. She was now standing near her mirror in the room, sighing sadly every time she had to put on one or another item of clothing.

"Maybe in my thoughts it looked better than it really is? I was wrapped up, like a baby in a diaper, everything smothers and closely. And the pants are short, who did it at all and to whom?"

Nayeon went to the box that was lying on the bed, rummaged there, finding a check and a sheet with the dimensions, read again:

"That's right. My sizes. And in my name. I can not understand why it is so crowded? And I still need to wear a raincoat. Wow, how heavy! What is it made of, from iron or something?"

Suddenly, in the silence of the room, the sound of the phone rang, SMS came. Nayeon already knew who wrote to her, for sure, the mysterious girl under No. 2.

“You are beautiful, Nayeon. I’ll definitely come to see you in The Moon Tune. Who will you be in my creation?” A.

Putting the phone down on the nightstand, Nayeon got into a pose, and theatrically looking around the empty space of the room, she loudly said:

“The second date is going to be exciting. Two mysterious girls will meet in a duel of past secrets. Who will win? We find out after 20:00pm."

***

The melody of the past today will be shed. The first part of my past, the day when it all began. I know that you will show the real me. Only you know how to be who you are not.

They tell me that after we use you for our business, we need to get rid of it. But I won’t do it. No. You are one of my creations; you are the one who is now, Im Nayeon. Your name is Nayeon now. And always will remain so.

The name that was given to you at birth will never disturb you again.

I promise.

That name has a lot of pain and suffering. There are too many secrets in that name. Secrets that can destroy more than one soul. Today we will not meet with you for the first time, but you will not remember me. That accident, she took you from me. Let it be. For all our mutual friends, may you be Nayeon, and not ...

"Are you still here? Have you forgotten what role you have today?"

"Everything is ready for our first meeting, why not worry."

"Look, do not confuse the words."

“I would like to tell you the same thing.”

***

A black SUV crossed the border of Seoul, its headlight flashed to the "right eye" blinked, somehow lighting up the highway. The driver, holding a lit cigarette in his mouth, muttered something displeased when he once again got into a bump. The girl sitting next to him, only silently, glanced at him when he cursed again. She sat down with him a couple of hours ago, it was great news that this guy was going in the direction she needed. Yes, there was a feeling that he spent the night in his car, but this rattle was moving, and she urgently needed to get to the city, and he was the only one who stopped. So, yes, I didn’t have to choose.

“We are already here, baby. Where to throw you?"

"It is possible here."

"Well, come on."

"Thank you for planting."

"How not to toss such a beauty?" The driver grunted, trumped and drove on. She looked around, trying to remember where she was. It seems that nothing has changed, and yet, did not recognize the place.

"5 years is not a short time, girlfriend. You need to find out which side is the doll shop. They must have been waiting for me."

***

The doll shop in the city was considered the oldest building of today. Its walls have suffered many different disasters throughout his life. What they just didn’t want to do with it: set it on fire (moreover several times), and sink it (although all the pipes were in a corrected state), and destroy it (but the cars stopped, without reaching, the equipment broke).

Everyone began to bypass him; he even stood empty for a couple of years. All residents, as one, believed that an evil spirit dwells in the building, and let it be indoors, and do not disturb the souls of living people. So everything remained until the current mayor came to power and decided to restore the former glory of the doll store again.

After its final reconstruction (this time it was decided to satisfy all the residents, equip it in the Gothic style), the store was left alone, the mayor gave his consent to the residence of puppet people, he also allowed to build a workshop near the store.

The owner was found instantly, he had once served in the navy, a man of military training, had long been retired. 4 years ago, he suddenly began to get involved in wax figures, collect them, collect them, until there was no place where to store them. The mayor offered a bargain, he agreed, and here he is, now sitting at the counter, cleaning his porcelain, sometimes glancing at the visitors, who have often come here recently.

His quiet life, filled only with dolls, was gone until the end of this evening, until the residents bought up the last mask for the upcoming carnival. According to his calculations, there was very little left.

"Hey, master, we have chosen!" What to choose there, he did not understand, the masks are the same. "$5, right?"

"Yes,"- his voice is hoarse without long communication with people, so when he answered, it turned out like a “car." People taking masks laughed when they heard such a greeting. He still managed to hear from them "really a horror store" when the door closed in front of them.

***

The girl waited for the door to be closed behind the last visitors, after which she entered the store. All the same bell that hung above the door, a familiar motive rang, notifying the owner that another visitor had come. The man who had just disappeared behind the landing, returned, and froze. They both peered into the darkened room, not daring to utter the first words.

"I returned"- taking a step towards the meeting, the girl said.

A man would like to ask “for how long”, but decided to leave all the questions for later. He just walked over and hugged her, clutching the lost daughter tightly to his chest. They didn’t stand so long; none of their family loved the display of tenderness. The girl walked away from the man, walked inland, examining everything around.

“I haven't been here for a long time.” Little has changed, as I see it. Let me wear one mask today?

"Everything that is here, everything belongs to you."

"What is the chip tonight? What did the mayor think of this time?" Twirling the mask in her hands, the girl asked.

The man sat next to the stool, his loving gaze examined such native features. He knew that she would get down to business, and he knew that it was necessary, as always, not to ask unnecessary questions, just to submit.

“The Ghost mask,” he said, pushing back the second drawer of the nightstand and pulling something out. A small item tied with a cloth and neatly tied in a knot with a red ribbon. The girl took it and hid it right away in a bag, without opening it.

“Perfect for my return, I went to get together at the party; I need to see if all the actors are present. Who got the main role? Going out the door of the store, she asked.

“Yerin,” a male voice whispered in the back. He did not see, but knew that the girl smiled.

"As we expected. Do not lock the workshop today when you go home," she warned her old man, and disappeared from sight.

He went inside his store, hung a sign with the inscription "Closed" on the glass door, turned off the light that was on, went to the workshop. His workshop was built in such a way that 2-3 rooms could easily fit here. Instead, the room was spacious, without unnecessary things, only a table, chair and safe.

On the walls, only one picture was cheerful, the face of a young woman painted in watercolor. Only a face oval with a delicate blush on her cheeks, long eyelashes, a smart look of gray eyes and a slightly upturned powdery nose. Her hair was covered by a wig, with curls at the ends. At the bottom of the portrait was a signature; the name was clearly written in beautiful handwriting.

The man approached the portrait, gently touched his index finger and his lips weathered for years whispered: “Maredit,” standing next to him for a couple of minutes, he stepped back, pulled out a chair from under the table, sat down, opened a laptop lying on it.

The faces of other girls immediately appeared on the screen, standing in order, starting with the letters of the name. 5 girls that 5 years ago opened the Pandora's box, which they kept, like the apple of an eye. These 5 girls wanted to play a game that they could not afford. They invented their rules of the game, they gathered many secrets into their casket, and now they are paying for their sins. Maybe they weren’t even touched if one curious golden-haired cat didn’t decide to release her claws in the wrong places, to show her little fangs to the wrong person.

The cat’s first mistake was that ill-fated evening when they decided to lose with fire. Two people were injured, one of them lost his sight, no one paid attention to the second, and he was not interested. The second mistake was when the cat disappeared, in vain she turned gray, had to invent her death in order to somehow smooth out the unevenness in the reports of the suspects. Their game must go on. They have not yet fulfilled their goal, which they set 5 years ago. They began to poison, scare, and do everything so that they had more questions than answers.

Today, one of the issues will be resolved. Since so many ghosts have gathered in the city on a carnival night, then it's time to put one point. Now the man was just about to put it on, his fingers quickly typed text on the keyboard. His wrinkled face was barely visible in the dim light, but a contented smile played on his lips as his eyes re-read what was written again.

"Now you can go on a preliminary acquaintance with the players of the “Moon Tune”. For a long time I did not go to any events. I wouldn’t go now if my daughter and Nayeon hadn’t returned here. I'm going to get ready; I would not want to miss the beginning of the action."

***

“The first act. Scene number 3. A dark night enveloped a quiet city; black clouds covered any gap that flowed from behind the windows of houses. The faces of people were all hidden behind masks, and their bodies were covered with plain materials. A dark long cloak covered them from prying eyes.

One mask, one secret and one lie. They met at a crossroads. They were asked a question:

- Who is the leader among you?

They all said “I” as one. The voice was silent for a long time, then asked another question:

“Are you one?”

They all said yes as one, although the lie doubted for a split second.

"Who will be revealed first of all?"

They all showed one at one another. Seeing all this, the voice laughed and said:

“The ghosts came to life.”

They did not understand what the words consisted of, they began to argue with each other, proving each to be right, but seeing that no one else hears, they parted. Later they understood what the words were, but it was too late. Darkness found them.

I promise it will be a lot of fun today - your ghost.

“Girls, you too ...” - Opening independently the doors of Sana’s farmhouse , JiHyo went into the hall, where all her friends had already gathered.

"Yes, we are just reading it ..."

“... for the umpteenth time in a row,” Tzuyu finished the sentences , folding a letter into a roll, where the text was printed in small print.

“What do you think this means? Will he appear before us today, on carnival night?"

"More precisely, when we will participate in the play. Otherwise, why should we send such a text?" Jeongyeon answered reasonably, once again running through the words, then realizing that nothing more could be fished from them, she folded them in half and put them in her purse. "We'll think about this a bit later. Let's get ready, there is little time left until 1 act."

"I'm ready," turning to my friends, said Sana, showing them her snow-white outfit.

Their carnival costume was practically no different from the costume in which all residents and visitors of the city would dress up. The only difference is face masks and jewelry.

"You know, girls, we are still lucky with the outfits. Have you seen what Nayeon will be wearing?" She will look like a clown with these feathers in all directions. Our outfits are nevertheless more refined and the aroma of wealth comes from them."Wealth? And where do you see him? No, JiHyo, our outfits are as deceitful as the mask itself, which we will wear today, said Jungyong , critically looking at his outfit. "And who only came up with such a cut? Here at random."

“Yes, if you look closely, we could be the ugliest at the carnival, if we had this arrow a little lower,” said Tzuyu thoughtfully. "Sana, where are the boxes in which our outfits lay?"

“Upstairs in my bedroom. What? Tzuyu!" She called the girl, who quickly climbed the stairs to the second floor. Girlfriends looking at each other in surprise, hurried after her. They only reached her in the bedroom. "Why do you need these boxes? What do you want to find?"

"And you yourself think who else could send us such outfits?" The rhetorical question hung in deathly silence, then the paper rustled, everyone quickly grabbed the boxes and began to study them. In less than a couple of minutes, Jeongyeon discovered something on the side, under the bottom box:

“Something is written here, but so finely ...”

“Here you go,” she quickly handed over the magnifying glass, which she kept in the nightstand near the bed.

"Thanks. So ... where is it ... yeah ... here ... found. One mask is reset."

"One mask dropped , and all? What does this mean?"

“It means that it remains to solve another“ one secret and one lie. ”What he wrote to us in his message.

“We’ll solve it tonight,” JiHyo summed up, sitting on the edge of the bed. "When will it all ends? When will he leave us behind?"

“Soon, JiHyo, soon we will find out the truth, and when we find out, we will do everything to defeat him.”

***

Other participants in the future performance also gathered at home. Not to say that they were waiting too long for the carnival night (it would have been like this if they had not prepared the “Moon Tune”), the script was not finished yet. They wrote in a hurry, a bunch of mistakes that need to be fixed. Yes, they showed to the director, but looked, and no, “ you will finish it later; is there a result already ?; we need to show something; you already know the essence of the book itself, right? " etc. Realizing that you can’t argue, we decided to teach at least the roles that they got by lot. The lot was held ordinary, matches with a number and a glass, mixed and pulled each of its number. Under the numbers are the names of the heroes.

The main room got 6 girls: JiHo, Tzuyu, Jeongyeon, Sana, Mina and Nayeon. They are secondary, but according to the book, they played the most direct role in the whole history.

For them today there were few scenic words, more action. More precisely, simple walking around the stage. As the director himself said, today there will only be an acquaintance of the audience with the future production. The performance itself can be shown later. When later, it is not clear, they all hoped that not next week. Maybe playing today out of the ordinary is bad to keep up with them? No, it’s better not to do this. Nobody wanted to be disgraced.

Each of them took his outfits from the box, which was sent by mail, especially for the carnival.

None of them doubted, a “gift” from the director came, because he himself said this before they chose the heroes of the play “Moon Tune”.

None of them doubted that the letter attached to the bag where the suit was lying was written under the dictation of the director:

“I took the liberty of editing your script a bit. Read it and say exactly how it is written here. The mayor approved. Good luck today.

None of them doubted that he (she) needed to do everything as written in the script, although he was different from the first option.

And all, as one, were sure that one of them gave that option to the director of the school.

***

Residends and visitors (one-day or for a week, depending on how their affairs go), they were all happy about the upcoming carnival. There was the last preparation, who did not have time to buy a costume and mask, quickly bought, collected food on the tables, who would not go to the center, where all the actions of the masquerade would unfold. Couples made notes on their sleeves or on the masks themselves so that they could distinguish each other in the crowd. The city itself was transformed. It was as if he himself became one big mask of a carnival, where the truth can turn out to be a lie, and a lie - the truth.

The director of the college was nervous, just could not find a place for himself, went back and forth around the living room of his house. His restless eyes darted from the clock that hung on the wall to the stairs, where female laughter was heard from the second floor.

There was still plenty of time before meeting with the mayor, but he was still nervous. I would not want to be late, I would not want to show myself on the bad side. I would not want to lose such a lucrative income, and the money he was very much needed . How many times he pleaded, asked for money to improve the college, he was always refused. He already despaired, and then a miracle happened, the mayor wanted to recreate a carnival in the city like the carnival that took place every year in Venice.

And he was very lucky to know his favorite author. An unknown letter to the post office came almost before the mayor’s very idea of ​​organizing a carnival:

Moon tune. Mared Bishop. Invite the mayor to stage a theatrical performance for this book. Your well-wisher .”

What the hell was not joking, he suggested, and immediately the mayor agreed to his terms, to the expense of repairing the college premises. It was necessary to get out in an instant, to look for actors. Another letter from the "well-wisher" came to the same mail, it contained only one name:

JiHyo. Sana. Tzuyu. Jeongyeon. Mina."

The loud voices, the names that death is associated with. He didn’t go and talk directly, he thought and decided to bring in a school committee as well. The book "Moon Tune" appeared in the library itself, he didn’t make it up and the mayor did not give money for the purchase, he knows for sure that he asked in passing.

" My gift is a well - wisher for you ."

Then the routine work started. He thought for a long time how to thank the one who did so much for him. The evening came "X", and a letter came:

If they ask about the new scenario, answer, yes, you sent it to them. One good turn deserves another. “Your well-wisher .”

So he calculated.

No one has called him yet tonight, so everyone, as one thinks, that he sent them some new script. It is interesting that in it, will it not spoil everything that he achieved with the mayor by such a hard work? No, it should not.

"Honey, are we ready, are we going?" He heard the voice of his wife, and then he saw her coming down the stairs in an eccentric costume. Following her was their youngest daughter, the eldest had long run away with friends. "You know, dear, I feel that some large-scale event will happen today, and it is not connected with the carnival."

"Maybe it is connected with the theatrical production of “Moon Tune”, dad? What will it be about? Is it interesting? Can I not go and watch?"

“You like it.” Everyone should like it. Otherwise, the mayor will save me and my school from financing .

"Ah, honey, everything will be fine. I'm sure your guys tried really hard. In addition, you yourself said that today only public acquaintances with actors. The action itself will be later, and by then the entire script will be written and all the actors will fall into place, and the truth will triumph."

***

All actors are assembled. Time is right for the start of the carnival. Carnival masks are dressed, laughter is heard, someone is trying to imitate another voice so that relatives do not recognize him. A mystery is hidden behind the carnival masks “Ghost”, a lie is pouring from her lips, but everyone believes in it, because the person who is hiding behind her claims that he is telling the truth.

All actors are ready for the start of the performance. They are waiting for a team from the director, who is currently near the mayor. Their conversation is not heard, but you can see how in the hands of the mayor holds a thick book, if you look closely, you can see the name.

Spectators are waiting for the start of a theatrical performance. It’s not clear who is one of them, their faces are covered with masks, and their bodies are in a fancy dress, wrapped in a cloak to the floor. Among them there is that girl who arrived, and the well-wisher, and two more people who hide in the shadows. They pull the strings. They started a puppet show. Not for the sake of entertainment, no, everything was done with one purpose - to force to pay the bills. And today, one invoice will be paid in full.

Finally, lights are lit on the stage, a player sounds with an old melody that makes goosebumps. This music makes you think about what will happen right now. She makes you start worrying about the heroes. Only worry about those who are hiding the truth or those who have discovered it?

The first to enter the stage of the mini-theater was a mask, her beautiful black hair fell freely on her shoulders, she bowed with applause and said in a singing voice:

- Welcome to the “Moon Tune” masquerade ball! Let me introduce those who today will intrigue you with their secrets. I, one of the secrets, it’s difficult to guess, because I am the one who started this carnival. I have many names, as well as friends whom I use for my purpose. They obey me, because they want to be friends with me. Everyone wants to be my friend, I lie, pretend that I need them, that I love them, they, stupid, believe. How do you introduce yourself this time, let my last name sound. So, The true lie is before you.

The second came the mask of a Venetian lady, she gracefully bowed to the audience, her voice sounded quietly, as if she was talking with them in the church, and not on the street:

- My name will not tell you anything, my name is a mystery, but my behavior is visible to everyone and everyone. They like to discuss me.

Another mask ran right behind her, immediately they booed, and there was a laugh in the hall:

- Yes, yes, I'm a jester, I myself did not want to become him, they appointed me for tonight. Please love and favor, Harlequin.

“You stole my role, Harlequin, it needs to be called a jester, because I like to joke.” Hearing me laugh, everyone laughs in response.

“They laugh, Fantasy, because you're from a fantasy world,” Zanni's mask interrupted her performance. “They are all whispering behind you, they consider you a crazy girl.” Who in your mind will say that there is a melody on the moon? And where is the moon? And here is the melody? They are two different things! Ha ha ha, you're stupid, Fantasy.

“But you yourself, Zanni, you believe that they hear you, but no one hears you, they just pretend that they need you!”

- Then I will scream louder!

- To no avail, screaming to those who are hidden in a box of falsehood and lies! Everyone sitting here is the creation of one mask, because of which all this farce began! - proudly stepping on the stage, another girl came out with a Pulcinella mask. In her hands she held a fan of black feathers and waved it in front of her.

“Do you mean yourself, Pulcinella?”

“Another role has been given to me, and in this role I am a simple gossip girl who loves to recognize everything and to poke her nose into other people's affairs.” But I can guess who can stand behind everything.

- Who? - all the masks on the stage were curious.

“Pay with some secret that I don’t know yet, then I’ll answer - I extended my hand, opened my hand, and waited for who would bring her tribute.” - Silence? I knew it. It's hard to give away your secret, you will keep it until someone like me reveals it.

The audience watched the stage with fascination, expecting a further event, all the masks confused them a bit, which quickly flickered in the light of the spotlight and in the shade, yes, they saw how someone appeared and did something. But what exactly he did, they could not make out. But those invisible shadows left a lot of questions. And where there are questions, there is interest. The first mask that came out again appeared on the scene, they whispered, as if revealing some secret, said:

- The carnival promises to be interesting. We have not shown you all, ladies and gentlemen. We kept the best secrets for the main course. Why confuse you yet, let that lie or truth settle in your subconscious, and when the time comes, we will help you to reveal it.